Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Network Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,364 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oh yeah definitely. I was happy with the WCW dubs tbh, thought there would be a lot more!

It's funny watching through Nitros though. No way Goldberg gets over in 2020 haha. The smart fans would **** on him today with how sloppy he is but man it was great back in 98!

I’m the same it seems WCW dubbed the obvious stuff to save themselves the hassle and you can see why but on the whole they kept as much as they could. What wcw showed was that Vince was completely wrong in trying to put macho man on the shelf in 1992/93. He showed with the DDP feud(I have a soft spot for this feud) how good he actually was.

Nope. Goldberg most definitely has his place and he was great at one point but as you say 2021 is literally a generation removed and for better or worse wrestling fans are more in touch with how the business works.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’m the same it seems WCW dubbed the obvious stuff to save themselves the hassle and you can see why but on the whole they kept as much as they could. What wcw showed was that Vince was completely wrong in trying to put macho man on the shelf in 1992/93. He showed with the DDP feud(I have a soft spot for this feud) how good he actually was.

Nope. Goldberg most definitely has his place and he was great at one point but as you say 2021 is literally a generation removed and for better or worse wrestling fans are more in touch with how the business works.

Even in 98 Macho Man is still moving pretty good. Once he comes back in early 99 after the knee injury he's completely different. Very slow and not a shadow of what he was. Kind of sad to see.

Even in 98 Macho Man is still moving pretty good. Once he comes back in early 99 after the knee injury he's completely different. Very slow and not a shadow of what he was. Kind of sad to see.

Yeah rewatching those elbows from macho man in 1999 aren’t nice. Those aren’t working elbows. They are live rounds.

Yeah rewatching those elbows from macho man in 1999 aren’t nice. Those aren’t working elbows. They are live rounds.

I still don't know how DDP got over so big watching the Nitros back! I agree with you the Macho Man matches were great but it feels like he gets the same interview with Mean Gene in the ring every week for 2 years and it bored the arse off me haha

And cactus unfortunately there will be a section of the wrestling fan base(not on boards.ie thank ****) that would consider us behind the times because we like old school wrestling.

And cactus unfortunately there will be a section of the wrestling fan base(not on boards.ie thank ****) that would consider us behind the times because we like old school wrestling.

Ah man, I feel bad paying the WWE for the network because of how much I can't stand it today but it's all about the old stuff! I'm sure someone will get annoyed that I couldn't care less about the Indy stuff being added all the time now haha

I still don't know how DDP got over so big watching the Nitros back! I agree with you the Macho Man matches were great but it feels like he gets the same interview with Mean Gene in the ring every week for 2 years and it bored the arse off me haha

Well why he got the same interview every week is because mean gene and savage knew what worked and why change what worked. DDP got over because in 1997 he happened to work with someone who like himself planned stuff out. Also having miss Elizabeth helped as she seemed herself and more relaxed. I love dustys call of the waitress tray from Elizabeth. She’d only be nearly sixty if still alive. Such a loss.

Ah man, I feel bad paying the WWE for the network because of how much I can't stand it today but it's all about the old stuff! I'm sure someone will get annoyed that I couldn't care less about the Indy stuff being added all the time now haha

I don’t subscribe to the network for the modern stuff either. I do it for the archive. 120 euro a year is a bargain given the amount of archive stuff there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I don’t subscribe to the network for the modern stuff either. I do it for the archive. 120 euro a year is a bargain given the amount of archive stuff there.

Same here. I haven't watched a PPV since Mania. But plenty of the old stuff, Austin's interviews etc. WWE documentaries are absolutely fantastic for the most part as well

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Same here. I haven't watched a PPV since Mania. But plenty of the old stuff, Austin's interviews etc. WWE documentaries are absolutely fantastic for the most part as well

I should be clear from last night that I don’t subscribe to the wwe network solely for the modern stuff. I do watch the ppvs but being honest in 2020 I’ve become less arsed if I don’t see it all live. I’ll rewatched stuff a day or two after. The archive was and still is the main selling point of the network for fans from a certain era.

Oh btw seeing as the royal rumble is coming up I decided to rewatch the 1999 rumble and I in particular rewatched the I quit match(which I’ve seen dozens of times) and some things I only picked up on last night, was 1) foley was bleeding prior to the Chair shots and 2) the issue with the excessive chair shots, you can see foley turn his back in what I see as a clear tell to the rock to hit him in the back and rock for whatever reason goes for his head. It’s always been uncomfortable but that realisation made my a bit more uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

The app just posted this:

"Join Mr McMahon, 'Stone Cold' and more for a groundbreaking announcement, LIVE on the WWE app, Wednesday at 9:30pm ET"

Interesting!!

I’m a few days late but happy anniversary wwe network thread.

And I was looking for something to watch tonight on the network and I saw an Edge vs cena with mystery partners on raw episode (the date wasn’t shown btw). The date is kind of special because it’s the day after I turned 21(January 23rd,2006) and I can vividly remember where I was the Sunday and Monday. I know that the main selling point of the network is the archive, but beyond that all of us here have special days in out life’s and funny enough more often than not a WWE TV or PPV either coincides directly or close enough to those moments. There are episodes of raw and smackdown and PPVs that I have vivid memories of for good and bad reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The new untold doc on AJ Styles royal rumble debut is great

That was an amazing debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Except for the camera angle. Talk about making a balls of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Except for the camera angle. Talk about making a balls of it.

But we did get that beautiful shot of Roman squinting.

mqbtBNo.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Loughc wrote: »
    But we did get that beautiful shot of Roman squinting.

mqbtBNo.jpg

Gotta make Reigns look strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Gotta make Reigns look strong

If anything it made him look visually impaired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Maybe I am in the minority and yes the did screw it up, but the camera angle didnt blow the segment for me. It actually grabbed my attention and teh delay just built up my curiosity

The Buzzer went, camera on Reigns .... music hits. Im like who is that, Reigns is mysteified...... music builds and teh fans pop.....Im like who is it who is.......I know it was a fcuk up but it still worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ThePott

While I do think the shot of Roman looking in confusion actually helped I think they stayed on it too long. They missed the reveal of it saying I Am Phenomenal and the pop when it came up. That should have been what they showed initially.

I think for viewers the pop should be concurrent with the fans in the stadium, that's just my two cents as much as the reaction to the presentation was overblown, I think it was that we were in that 'gotta make Roman look strong' era and it was exaggerated as a result. Missing Edge's first spear back is much more egregious in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

When does NXT get uploaded to the Network these days? I was going to check out last week's episode at the weekend but they only had the previous week's up.

I suppose I could have watched that instead as I hadn't seen it but I'd read too much about developments since so it would have been dated.

• Advertisement

20 second ads before every show/match I click on is really annoying. Especially the ones that end with "subscribe to the WWE network at WWEnetwork.com". I already am subscribed and paying E12.99 a month :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What day/night do new episodes of NXT Uk air on BT ?

Do they go in the network first ?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What day/night do new episodes of NXT Uk air on BT ?

Do they go in the network first ?

Thursday at 8pm I think. I think they are on the network at the same time.

20 second ads before every show/match I click on is really annoying. Especially the ones that end with "subscribe to the WWE network at WWEnetwork.com". I already am subscribed and paying E12.99 a month :rolleyes:

The ads are part of the reality of being on the network. I’m okay with some ads but where I think it’s taking the piss is when there are ads on your continue watching list.

The ads are part of the reality of being on the network. I’m okay with some ads but where I think it’s taking the piss is when there are ads on your continue watching list.

It probably doesn't bother many people but it's just I usually flick between matches from different shows most nights so I'm getting the same 20 second ad a few times an hour haha. A skip button would be nice like on Amazon prime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

WWE Network will be on Peacock from March. It's huge news with all kinds of ramifications. The deal is apparently for 5 years and worth over 1 billion dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭savemejebus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ThePott

That's massive. This seems like a total steal though for US customers (and those with a Vpn *cough). For the price of the Network you now get Peacock too.

WWE Network will be on Peacock from March. It's huge news with all kinds of ramifications. The deal is apparently for 5 years and worth over 1 billion dollars.

More money for the machine. Once I can still watch it.

Great move for WWE, huge potential for new viewers that the Network didnt have.

Not just on Peacock, the standalone network will be shutting down (in the US at least). https://www.wsj.com/articles/nbcuniversals-peacock-to-become-wwes-exclusive-streaming-home-11611578690

Ye in the US it's a goner. The rumour for this has been around for ages. I'm gonna fire out some takes.

The big positive is obvious, the Network subs had hit a ceiling and were slowly climbing downward, the target of 3 million subscribers has never been further away and, at present, subscribers number around 1.1 million. Getting a guaranteed 200 million dollars a year over 5 years is a win.

It's hopefully a positive for the audience. You can probably trace WWE's creative decline back to when they stopped running on a ppv model in favour of the Network. With a 3rd party paying them a huge contract to produce shows, they'll expect strong numbers, for strong numbers you need interesting creative directions. Hopefully it leads to them producing some actually watchable shows.

The downsides are that this absolutely has the potential to develop into a situation where down the road Peacock charge for individual shows, ala UFC on ESPN+ the days of the Network being a bargain at 10 dollars might be looked at as a golden age.

They indicate that the back catalogue will remain so hopefully that's the case, it's by far the best thing about the service.

The dream for Vince McMahon for a long time was to have his own network, where he couldn't be dictated to by the network top brass. Ultimately it'll go down as a failure for a variety of reasons. But that they had a massive captive audience of tech savy prime demographic viewers and they were unable to turn even nearly enough of them into paying subscribers despite undercutting themselves massively on ppv (and forever changing the valuation of their own shows) is where it failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm on a US account since Day 1. Wondering how this will work now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hmmmm....highly dubious on the idea internationals won't be stung in some way over this, whether it's restricted/tiered content I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

More of the global takeover by a handful of corporations.

Comcast, AT&T, Amazon, Apple, Goggle etc have more control and influence over the world than any government.

Hmmmm....highly dubious on the idea internationals won't be stung in some way over this, whether it's restricted/tiered content I don't know.

Its hard to know.

NBC arent streaming over here and Im not aware of any plans to.

Im unsure if any Rest of the World rights are included here in this deal.

In theory Network could remain streaming worldwide bar North America or they could sell rights to another streamings service.

I wonder will this deal **** up classic content? Especially attitude era with a lot of questionable stuff that I don't think NBC would be happy to be available on their platform.

The Network has been up and running for 7 years it only feels like yesterday that it started.

So this means nothing will change for those of us outside of the US then if I read that press release correctly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So this means nothing will change for those of us outside of the US then if I read that press release correctly.

Correct but it's only a matter of time before they'll sell to a streaming service outside of the US.

Loughc wrote: »
    Correct but it's only a matter of time before they'll sell to a streaming service outside of the US.

You’re right but knowing the way things go we will be shafted in some way here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

This is great, I have a free sub to Peacock through my cousin in the US so I won't have to pay for the network anymore :)

I’m guessing PPV’s will be returning to PPV now and won’t be on the Network.

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    This is great, I have a free sub to Peacock through my cousin in the US so I won't have to pay for the network anymore :)

Where the devil have you been!

Welcome back

I’m guessing PPV’s will be returning to PPV now and won’t be on the Network.

Well according to the statement they won’t be moving back to PPV. Those of us outside the US are unaffected for now.

oneilla wrote: »
    That's not really been the case with their stagnating/declining TV ratings for years has it?

To an extent sure, these network expect strong demos, particularly at off-peak times for sports and WWE is a low cost way of delivering that. Where WWE used to have to create interesting stories, build and peak feuds at the right time was really during the ppv era when their existence and success was far more closely tied to selling pay per views. Simply put, for basically the last year they'd practically given up on the Network ever being a success in regards expected subscribers and their financial success has largely come from those big US TV deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The Network has been up and running for 7 years it only feels like yesterday that it started.

I remember launch day and trying to get around the geo blocking. Fun times.

Well according to the statement they won’t be moving back to PPV. Those of us outside the US are unaffected for now.

Nick Khan specifically stated in interviews today that PPV's will now be free in 24 million homes and they are excited about that (Peacock is free to people who use xFinity for cable).

They're not putting them back on pay per view.

Nick Khan specifically stated in interviews today that PPV's will now be free in 24 million homes and they are excited about that (Peacock is free to people who use xFinity for cable).

They're not putting them back on pay per view.

That ship has sailed in fairness. One thing that I’ve just been thinking is those of us who signed up day 1 are we considered American users ? I ask because could we be in a bit of bother when they switch US accounts to peacock and seeing as how it’s not available here will we be caught out ?

Yeah unless you can get a Peacock sub you'll have to pay the Irish tax. What is it here, €10.99?

Yeah unless you can get a Peacock sub you'll have to pay the Irish tax. What is it here, €10.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I watched the Taker doc series...how lucky were they to have signed AJ Styles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

The Yokozuna doc was excellent. Well worn a watch

I know it’s said a lot, but it’s kind of sad to see Vince on camera looking so old and frail nowadays

Advertisement