Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So last night I watched the December 20th 1993 episode of Monday night raw and jeff Jarrett is in the opening match and obviously we know that it gets better in the years after but 27 years ago he was a bland as all ****. The DDT finisher was nice but not initially. They also showed an incorrect graphic saying he’d debut the next week but he showed up the week before. 1993 and 1994 raws aren’t all that bad actually. That may be part nostalgia and part me recording raw and smackdown again and finding them a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So last night I watched the December 20th 1993 episode of Monday night raw and jeff Jarrett is in the opening match and obviously we know that it gets better in the years after but 27 years ago he was a bland as all ****. The DDT finisher was nice but not initially. They also showed an incorrect graphic saying he’d debut the next week but he showed up the week before. 1993 and 1994 raws aren’t all that bad actually. That may be part nostalgia and part me recording raw and smackdown again and finding them a chore.

It was Jarretts first national exposure. He was young, finding his feet and saddled with a cheesy gimmick. He did well by all accounts.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    It was Jarretts first national exposure. He was young, finding his feet and saddled with a cheesy gimmick. He did well by all accounts.

Also the wwf ring in 1993 was like concrete. Good thing they softened them up.

Just watched the drew interview with stone cold on the live channel and this guy has an amazing mind for the business. He gets it and Austin seems to like him.

The January 2021 classic content drop will be 13 episodes of wrestling challenge which is a nice surprise. I’d like for them to complete the stuff they’ve started but not finished but it’s something completely new.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see WWF Superstars from late 80's/early 90's added but think I read that they don't own the rights to the Superstars name or something so they can't?

It's the main thing I want to see added along with early 90's WCW. Couldn't care less about the Indy promotions they seem to add now all the time instead of classic content.

I'd love to see WWF Superstars from late 80's/early 90's added but think I read that they don't own the rights to the Superstars name or something so they can't?

It's the main thing I want to see added along with early 90's WCW. Couldn't care less about the Indy promotions they seem to add now all the time instead of classic content.

Yeah there’s an issue where someone other than Vince copyrighted the name superstars of wrestling prior to 1992 which given how on the ball wwe seem to be in that regard it’s amazing they left that slip. I’d love WCW Saturday night up till nitro added because some of the stuff pre nitro is great.

Yeah there’s an issue where someone other than Vince copyrighted the name superstars of wrestling prior to 1992 which given how on the ball wwe seem to be in that regard it’s amazing they left that slip. I’d love WCW Saturday night up till nitro added because some of the stuff pre nitro is great.

Yeah that's the main WCW stuff I want to see!

I'd like to go through ECW on the network but think it's hard with every entrance theme dubbed out. Think a big part of ECW was the music so it's not the same.

Going though Nitros, I think the only themes dubbed, off the top of my head are
    Hogan (Voodoo child)
    DDP (Smells like teen spirit rip off)
    Jericho (Evenflow rip off)
    Raven (Come as you are rip off)

Can't spot many more from around 95-99.

Yeah that's the main WCW stuff I want to see!

I'd like to go through ECW on the network but think it's hard with every entrance theme dubbed out. Think a big part of ECW was the music so it's not the same.

Going though Nitros, I think the only themes dubbed, off the top of my head are
    Hogan (Voodoo child)
    DDP (Smells like teen spirit rip off)
    Jericho (Evenflow rip off)
    Raven (Come as you are rip off)

Can't spot many more from around 95-99.

Basically agree with you. ECW is the one area where I’ve stayed away from because of the edits and music.

Ah well those dubs are expected in fairness. The one feud I loved during my time watching WCW was DDP vs macho man in 1997. Those PPVs matches still hold up.

Basically agree with you. ECW is the one area where I’ve stayed away from because of the edits and music.

Ah well those dubs are expected in fairness. The one feud I loved during my time watching WCW was DDP vs macho man in 1997. Those PPVs matches still hold up.

Oh yeah definitely. I was happy with the WCW dubs tbh, thought there would be a lot more!

It's funny watching through Nitros though. No way Goldberg gets over in 2020 haha. The smart fans would **** on him today with how sloppy he is but man it was great back in 98!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah definitely. I was happy with the WCW dubs tbh, thought there would be a lot more!

It's funny watching through Nitros though. No way Goldberg gets over in 2020 haha. The smart fans would **** on him today with how sloppy he is but man it was great back in 98!

I’m the same it seems WCW dubbed the obvious stuff to save themselves the hassle and you can see why but on the whole they kept as much as they could. What wcw showed was that Vince was completely wrong in trying to put macho man on the shelf in 1992/93. He showed with the DDP feud(I have a soft spot for this feud) how good he actually was.

Nope. Goldberg most definitely has his place and he was great at one point but as you say 2021 is literally a generation removed and for better or worse wrestling fans are more in touch with how the business works.

I’m the same it seems WCW dubbed the obvious stuff to save themselves the hassle and you can see why but on the whole they kept as much as they could. What wcw showed was that Vince was completely wrong in trying to put macho man on the shelf in 1992/93. He showed with the DDP feud(I have a soft spot for this feud) how good he actually was.

Nope. Goldberg most definitely has his place and he was great at one point but as you say 2021 is literally a generation removed and for better or worse wrestling fans are more in touch with how the business works.

Even in 98 Macho Man is still moving pretty good. Once he comes back in early 99 after the knee injury he's completely different. Very slow and not a shadow of what he was. Kind of sad to see.

Even in 98 Macho Man is still moving pretty good. Once he comes back in early 99 after the knee injury he's completely different. Very slow and not a shadow of what he was. Kind of sad to see.

Yeah rewatching those elbows from macho man in 1999 aren’t nice. Those aren’t working elbows. They are live rounds.

Yeah rewatching those elbows from macho man in 1999 aren’t nice. Those aren’t working elbows. They are live rounds.

I still don't know how DDP got over so big watching the Nitros back! I agree with you the Macho Man matches were great but it feels like he gets the same interview with Mean Gene in the ring every week for 2 years and it bored the arse off me haha

And cactus unfortunately there will be a section of the wrestling fan base(not on boards.ie thank ****) that would consider us behind the times because we like old school wrestling.

And cactus unfortunately there will be a section of the wrestling fan base(not on boards.ie thank ****) that would consider us behind the times because we like old school wrestling.

Ah man, I feel bad paying the WWE for the network because of how much I can't stand it today but it's all about the old stuff! I'm sure someone will get annoyed that I couldn't care less about the Indy stuff being added all the time now haha

I still don't know how DDP got over so big watching the Nitros back! I agree with you the Macho Man matches were great but it feels like he gets the same interview with Mean Gene in the ring every week for 2 years and it bored the arse off me haha

Well why he got the same interview every week is because mean gene and savage knew what worked and why change what worked. DDP got over because in 1997 he happened to work with someone who like himself planned stuff out. Also having miss Elizabeth helped as she seemed herself and more relaxed. I love dustys call of the waitress tray from Elizabeth. She’d only be nearly sixty if still alive. Such a loss.

Ah man, I feel bad paying the WWE for the network because of how much I can't stand it today but it's all about the old stuff! I'm sure someone will get annoyed that I couldn't care less about the Indy stuff being added all the time now haha

I don’t subscribe to the network for the modern stuff either. I do it for the archive. 120 euro a year is a bargain given the amount of archive stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I don’t subscribe to the network for the modern stuff either. I do it for the archive. 120 euro a year is a bargain given the amount of archive stuff there.

Same here. I haven't watched a PPV since Mania. But plenty of the old stuff, Austin's interviews etc. WWE documentaries are absolutely fantastic for the most part as well

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Same here. I haven't watched a PPV since Mania. But plenty of the old stuff, Austin's interviews etc. WWE documentaries are absolutely fantastic for the most part as well

I should be clear from last night that I don’t subscribe to the wwe network solely for the modern stuff. I do watch the ppvs but being honest in 2020 I’ve become less arsed if I don’t see it all live. I’ll rewatched stuff a day or two after. The archive was and still is the main selling point of the network for fans from a certain era.

Oh btw seeing as the royal rumble is coming up I decided to rewatch the 1999 rumble and I in particular rewatched the I quit match(which I’ve seen dozens of times) and some things I only picked up on last night, was 1) foley was bleeding prior to the Chair shots and 2) the issue with the excessive chair shots, you can see foley turn his back in what I see as a clear tell to the rock to hit him in the back and rock for whatever reason goes for his head. It’s always been uncomfortable but that realisation made my a bit more uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

The app just posted this:

"Join Mr McMahon, 'Stone Cold' and more for a groundbreaking announcement, LIVE on the WWE app, Wednesday at 9:30pm ET"

Interesting!!

I’m a few days late but happy anniversary wwe network thread.

And I was looking for something to watch tonight on the network and I saw an Edge vs cena with mystery partners on raw episode (the date wasn’t shown btw). The date is kind of special because it’s the day after I turned 21(January 23rd,2006) and I can vividly remember where I was the Sunday and Monday. I know that the main selling point of the network is the archive, but beyond that all of us here have special days in out life’s and funny enough more often than not a WWE TV or PPV either coincides directly or close enough to those moments. There are episodes of raw and smackdown and PPVs that I have vivid memories of for good and bad reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The new untold doc on AJ Styles royal rumble debut is great

That was an amazing debut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Except for the camera angle. Talk about making a balls of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Except for the camera angle. Talk about making a balls of it.

But we did get that beautiful shot of Roman squinting.

mqbtBNo.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Loughc wrote: »
    But we did get that beautiful shot of Roman squinting.

mqbtBNo.jpg

Gotta make Reigns look strong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Gotta make Reigns look strong

If anything it made him look visually impaired

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Maybe I am in the minority and yes the did screw it up, but the camera angle didnt blow the segment for me. It actually grabbed my attention and teh delay just built up my curiosity

The Buzzer went, camera on Reigns .... music hits. Im like who is that, Reigns is mysteified...... music builds and teh fans pop.....Im like who is it who is.......I know it was a fcuk up but it still worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

While I do think the shot of Roman looking in confusion actually helped I think they stayed on it too long. They missed the reveal of it saying I Am Phenomenal and the pop when it came up. That should have been what they showed initially.

I think for viewers the pop should be concurrent with the fans in the stadium, that's just my two cents as much as the reaction to the presentation was overblown, I think it was that we were in that 'gotta make Roman look strong' era and it was exaggerated as a result. Missing Edge's first spear back is much more egregious in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

When does NXT get uploaded to the Network these days? I was going to check out last week's episode at the weekend but they only had the previous week's up.

I suppose I could have watched that instead as I hadn't seen it but I'd read too much about developments since so it would have been dated.

• Advertisement

20 second ads before every show/match I click on is really annoying. Especially the ones that end with "subscribe to the WWE network at WWEnetwork.com". I already am subscribed and paying E12.99 a month :rolleyes:

Advertisement