Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

US Air Force and RAF busy out over the North Sea today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

That's a common sight on FR24 out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

masit wrote: »
    US Air Force and RAF busy out over the North Sea today

And another.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Otterburn training area?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

colbarr wrote: »
    HM Coastguard living life on the edge!

Are they watching fishing boats?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Apologies if I'm asking this question in the wrong place. I often check Flightradar 24 when I see planes flying over my house (in west Kerry). Yesterday I say 4 planes all heading east at the same time with clear vapour trails visible against a blue sky. This was around 1pm. Nothing unusual there but then I heard a different sounding plane (more of a rumbling bassy tone) and I looked up and saw a silvery plane with no vapour trail.

I looked it up immediately but it didn't show up. It was heading west. Shortly after that I saw a much lower plane heading east and that didn't show up on Flightradar either. Does anyone know what the first plane might have been and why don't some planes appear on Flightradar. Needless to say I know absolutely nothing about planes......I'm just curious. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

QR7401 A359 DOH-BFS in the air right now. ETA 1840

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

https://www.flightradar24.com/QTR7401/2693c53e

diverted?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Possibly a recycled flight number from one of their recent BFS flights I expect, as it has just landed in Antalya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

pawdee wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm asking this question in the wrong place. I often check Flightradar 24 when I see planes flying over my house (in west Kerry). Yesterday I say 4 planes all heading east at the same time with clear vapour trails visible against a blue sky. This was around 1pm. Nothing unusual there but then I heard a different sounding plane (more of a rumbling bassy tone) and I looked up and saw a silvery plane with no vapour trail.

I looked it up immediately but it didn't show up. It was heading west. Shortly after that I saw a much lower plane heading east and that didn't show up on Flightradar either. Does anyone know what the first plane might have been and why don't some planes appear on Flightradar. Needless to say I know absolutely nothing about planes......I'm just curious. Thanks.

Flight radar has filters on displayed aircraft.... it will not display a lot of military and government aircraft... some private flights are on the list too....

It is a consolidation of various monitors of ADSB transmissions (Mode S Extended Squitter) ....

Not all aircraft have Mode S ES enabled, so don't churn out GPS co-ordinates which are easily trackable....

You can then use a function call "multilateration" (a fancy name for location finding, using multiple receivers) to locate an aircraft emitting normal Mode S..... F24 does this for some aircraft but not all...

Lastly, you have the aircraft that don't transmit any mode S... these will be using Mode A and/or C, which can also be track, but not a readily as Mode S....

Then you have the aircraft with no SSR at all .... which are either private use flying VFR, or aircraft of the more clandestine variety who don't want to be seen.

adsbexchange shows a lot more aircraft that F24 doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

https://www.flightradar24.com/RYR75/269421d9

Don't think FR regularly fly to the Lajes Field in the Azores. Heading to South America/new owner perhaps?

veetwin wrote: »
    https://www.flightradar24.com/RYR75/269421d9

Don't think FR regularly fly to the Lajes Field in the Azores. Heading to South America/new owner perhaps?

didn't know it either, but supposedly it's a twice weekly flight?
    Learn something new every day.

I wonder what comms are like as RYR usually remove all HF equipment from the aircraft upon delivery.

arccosh wrote: »
    didn't know it either, but supposedly it's a twice weekly flight?
    Learn something new every day.

I wonder what comms are like as RYR usually remove all HF equipment from the aircraft upon delivery.

I'm not sure of the percentage, but certainly some of the fleet are HF equipped and can be seen operating on oceanic Tango routes which require HF equipage.

I'm not sure of the percentage, but certainly some of the fleet are HF equipped and can be seen operating on oceanic Tango routes which require HF equipage.

Tango routes don't require HF, they are procedural airspace (supplemented by ADS-C) ....
    (edit - not all, some do, T9 and T290 being procedural)

Well, should say they mostly were, there is a new VHF frequency that covers a good chunk of it with radio stations in Cork and Spain, minimising the area of procedural airspace (procedural mean no comms required)....

edit: meant to add, HF equipment is removed as a weight saving exercise..... radios, antenna, wiring etc... equates to 2 or 3 passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Ryanair have an aircraft based at Ponta Delgada in the Azores so have a number of routes to there.

The aircraft would need to have HF radios. HF is still required on T9 and T290 as well under the new regulations.

Tango routes don't require HF, they are procedural airspace (supplemented by ADS-C) ....
    (edit - not all, some do, T9 and T290 being procedural)

Well, should say they mostly were, there is a new VHF frequency that covers a good chunk of it with radio stations in Cork and Spain, minimising the area of procedural airspace (procedural mean no comms required)....

edit: meant to add, HF equipment is removed as a weight saving exercise..... radios, antenna, wiring etc... equates to 2 or 3 passengers.

Unless something has changed since I’ve been off...?:confused:

T9 and T290 still require at least 1 HF, even though it may not be used on the short duration within Shanwick.

T13, T213 and T16 still require HF too.

You're both correct, I've been misled...

The removal of HF equipment was a thing though.... but, as shown some (presumably all) now keep the HF kit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The antenna, wiring, flight deck radio tuning panels, etc are integral elements of the aircraft as certified and can't just be removed. Only the transceiver from the E&E bay is easily 'removable'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I wonder what is EI-ECD SAR Helicopter up to in the MacGillycuddy's Reeks?

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIICD/26967dc9

theguzman wrote: »

Probably rescuing climbers ignoring their 5k limit and climbing in bad weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

theguzman wrote: »

Not sure - I live about 1 mile from the loops in that flight, but there was a huge fire up there about 5 days ago when all the dry mountain grass went up perhaps they were having a look. Not seen any rescuers on foot, they normally walk straight though my land if they go up there.

The Virgin Atlantic 787 has finally left Dublin going towards Heathrow, was it really sitting idle in Dublin for a few days?

VS522 from Dublin to London https://fr24.com/VIR522/2698bb32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

The Virgin Atlantic 787 has finally left Dublin going towards Heathrow, was it really sitting idle in Dublin for a few days?

VS522 from Dublin to London https://fr24.com/VIR522/2698bb32

G-VCRU departed LHR for DUB at 1620 this evening. It hasn't been in DUB very long, less than 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Ryanair have an aircraft based at Ponta Delgada in the Azores so have a number of routes to there.

The aircraft would need to have HF radios. HF is still required on T9 and T290 as well under the new regulations.

HF is indeed required on all the Tangos west of Brest Airspace. The DLM / HLA made FANS mandatory on the entire NAT between FL290 and FL410. The VHF was brought in on T290 / T9 to get around this by being available for emergency intervention only I believe. The FANS mandate has been suspended on the NAT anyway since COVID started to facilitate older aircraft, as traffic is down by approx 70%. Incidentally at least one DUB based RYR B738 is equipped with FANS according to their flight plans, no idea whether they actually use it or not, it isn't like they need to due the above suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does anyone know is US Air Force 1 tracked on Flightradar? Ive got a bet on with Paddy Power that Trump will be in Florida by 12pm Eastern Standard Time tomorrow and its going to be tight for time if he makes it before then or not. If its not tracked how could you find out what time the plane lands at?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Flight radar has filters on displayed aircraft.... it will not display a lot of military and government aircraft... some private flights are on the list too....

It is a consolidation of various monitors of ADSB transmissions (Mode S Extended Squitter) ....

Not all aircraft have Mode S ES enabled, so don't churn out GPS co-ordinates which are easily trackable....

All one has to do is write to FR24 and ask them to block your aircraft, it might still show as a type but with no data. ADSBEXCHANGE refuses to accept such requests.

Isn’t ADSB-V2 (DO-26-B) mandated for Europe these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does anyone know is US Air Force 1 tracked on Flightradar? Ive got a bet on with Paddy Power that Trump will be in Florida by 12pm Eastern Standard Time tomorrow and its going to be tight for time if he makes it before then or not. If its not tracked how could you find out what time the plane lands at?

Tune into CNN :) it’s usually trackable but use adsbexchange rather than FR24 or FlightAware.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

smurfjed wrote: »
    Tune into CNN :) it’s usually trackable but use adsbexchange rather than FR24 or FlightAware.

cheers, will use that site. Would the call sign be USAF1? Not even sure yet if it will make it to land in Palm Beach Florida by 12pm but hoping so to win the bet. Its set to depart a military airfield in Maryland after an 8am farewell reception so its all on how long he stays at the reception for, hopefully not too long! I believe Maryland to Palm Beach, Flordia is some 1,000 odd miles so about 2.5 hours flying time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

cheers, will use that site. Would the call sign be USAF1? Not even sure yet if it will make it to land in Palm Beach Florida by 12pm but hoping so to win the bet. Its set to depart a military airfield in Maryland after an 8am farewell reception so its all on how long he stays at the reception for, hopefully not too long! I believe Maryland to Palm Beach, Flordia is some 1,000 odd miles so about 2.5 hours flying time.

@CivMilAir does updates of AF1 updates on Twitter

It should be AF1 until 12pm then SAM45 after that if necessary I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Call sign will be SAM9000 or similar. (special air mission)
    His time as president ends at 12pm as per the US constitution.

Advertisement