Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    Seems WWE are using that fancy new camera they're using in the NFL for celebrations. It looks incredible.

It really does.

https://i.imgur.com/rGgvZVn.gifv
    https://www.clippituser.tv/c/lxldlz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    That's that then Adam Pearce can't be medically cleared for the RR and will be replaced by Kevin Owens

I'm surprised they didn't go with Nakamura, but I guess a Last Man Standing match vs Kevin Owens is going to be absolutely amazing.

With Nakamura last week, and Cesaro this week, it feels like they're building up a few people now. Which makes me think we're getting an Elimination Chamber next month. Maybe Bryan/Cesaro/Naka/Roman/Owens/Uso?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

That was another really good Smackdown.
    Definitely agree about the Elimination Chamber, I think a lot of people wanted Nakamura but it was definitely too early to put him straight into the title scene even though logically he should have a grievance after the Gauntlet match so hope they make something of that.

Really liking the IC scene too right now and Apollo with Roman on his side could be interesting, seems weird they had the whole thing with him fighting the Hurt Business for weeks and then not long after he's on Smackdown they turn him and align him with a stable but sure, whatever.

I thought Bayleys segment was great, I really dig her as a heel which I know isn't the most popular opinion with some on the other hand the Banks/Carmella feud is a total dud.

As for that new camera, Wow, looks amazing. Can't wait to see that utilised in the Rumble.
    Speaking of, who do we think is gonna win the Rumble?

ThePott wrote: »
    Speaking of, who do we think is gonna win the Rumble?

I'm not watching much right now, so not seeing a tonne of the usual clues as to who it is.

Bryan was first to announce, right? I feel he's got a good chance. AND if he did win, after losses to Nakamura and Cesaro, it gives those two a legit reason to demand some sort of chance as well, as filler feuds up till Mania. Bryan vs Roman is probably the biggest match you can do right now.

Mind, if Smackdown is getting the Chamber match set up, it could be because a Raw guy is going to win the Rumble (thus needing the chamber to set up Roman's challanger).

So.....Sheamus vs Drew has been hinted pretty heavily? I like Sheamus but him winning would be a dud.

Rumble is going to be the first show I watch in full for months. It closing with Sheamus winning the Rumble would probably tune me out again till Mania at the earliest....

I did think Bryan initially alright. Feel like he's been languishing lately though so not too excited for it all the same.
    That being said not sure of any possibility that does interest me so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Big E heel turn teased? He left the fridge door open.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Big E heel turn teased? He left the fridge door open.
    Eco Warrior Daniel Bryan won't be happy with that, this some long-term booking for their feud.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm surprised they didn't go with Nakamura, but I guess a Last Man Standing match vs Kevin Owens is going to be absolutely amazing.

With Nakamura last week, and Cesaro this week, it feels like they're building up a few people now. Which makes me think we're getting an Elimination Chamber next month. Maybe Bryan/Cesaro/Naka/Roman/Owens/Uso?

This is the thing that annoys me about WWE booking how many times has Owens lost to Reigns already, how are we to believe the outcome will be any different this time?

Naka and Cesaro are in line to be fed to Reigns next and he’s already strongly favoured to go over Bryan at Mania. So Vince got his way of putting over Reigns at the expense of all the Indy darlings just by turning him heel. I love it Maggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jey Uso with the line of the night about whipping Oldberg.

Can't see him winning the rumble at this point but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a feeling the men's rumble may be mid show and that might mean an unexpected winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭The White Feather

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a feeling the men's rumble may be mid show and that might mean an unexpected winner

For a sec I thought you meant the winner will be Big Show and I said god no! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

A better MO for him (eye em oh) is being in the Rumble purely to keep people away from Reigns.

I like Owens but I was more into seeing a Pearce one-shot. Although now I've seen Nakamura suggested in here, I'm annoyed he isn't the natural substitute. :pac:

Ridley wrote: »
    A better MO for him (eye em oh) is being in the Rumble purely to keep people away from Reigns.

I like Owens but I was more into seeing a Pearce one-shot. Although now I've seen Nakamura suggested in here, I'm annoyed he isn't the natural substitute. :pac:

Now that you mention it, it is weird they wouldn't go with Naka instead of Owens. Owens is just....well the feud is done and we know the result already. At least Naka would have been new. I don't expect him to win the Rumble again anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw it pointed out somewhere that Nakamura is back to his old theme

another exciting night in store im sure

https://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/2021-01-22

Adam Pearse vs Paul Heyman tonight wtf ?

That should be the end of Adam Pearse competing in the ring

Would love if the Reigns vs KO is an all out brawl with blood etc at the rumble

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

3 posts during the show, I'm not sure if that's down to a lack of interest, or a damning verdict off WWE and their scattergun booking.

Or more than likely a mix of both probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    3 posts during the show, I'm not sure if that's down to a lack of interest, or a damning verdict off WWE and their scattergun booking.

People probably just can't be arsed staying up till 3am on a Friday.

Smackdown is actively above average right now, obviously reigns is the man, but there's nothing so good that you immediately have to rave about it, but nothing so bad that you need to rant about, what you're getting is a damn good 2 hour show with solid promos and good in ring work. It definitely feels looser than raw but it's not reinventing the wheel.

I watch it, I enjoy it, I forget about it. Tbh that's all I ask for these days.

The Riott Squad barely getting a count of 1 on Charlotte. Laughable.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Tbf, I would rarely be arsed staying up for any wrestling that's not a PPV. Smackdown is actually pretty good right now.

This was a fun show, I liked the Bayley/Bianca segment. They need to show Bianca off as an athlete more instead of just talking about it. Cesaro is looking good, hope it leads to something mind you no mention of Nakamura this week so I'm not hopeful. It's a shame the IC match didn't get to play out but if it leads to a triple threat at the Rumble I'm down. This Reginald guy was pretty impressive, not a great match or anything but entertaining. Give him a Rumble spot. Thought the ending was good, even if we did get robbed of Heyman/Pearce :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Is Smackdown actually good or does it just look good compared to the dumpster fire that is Raw? It's not terrible or anything but outside of the Reigns stuff which is mostly good I don't see it. Obstacle courses, Corbin/Dominik and Sasha/Reginald all seems a bit meh.

I think it's good. Raw is terrible.
    The Reigns stuff is good and there's connectivity between it and a lot of the angles on the show. Wasn't into Corbin/Dominik but the obstacle course was fun and helped establish Bianca as more of an athlete which was needed imo, it was entertaining. Sasha/Reginald was a throwaway but I think it was enjoyable. Some people are a bit jaded on WWE and I get it but Smackdown is a consistently good show as of late.

Is Smackdown actually good or does it just look good compared to the dumpster fire that is Raw? It's not terrible or anything but outside of the Reigns stuff which is mostly good I don't see it. Obstacle courses, Corbin/Dominik and Sasha/Reginald all seems a bit meh.

They were all good, with a shortened roster and a refusal to bring in/up talent, the main difference between the 2 shows is how they're filling the time.
    -Smackdown made bayley look like a Chicken**** heel, bianca looks like a world class athlete.
    -Dominic is a flashy young boy who should be losing 90% of his matches.
    -The sasha/carmella feud got furthered without a pointless tag match.
    -They've also elevated jey uso/cesaro/nakamura to where the elimination chamber should be at least unpredictable.
    -Kevin Owens feels like the biggest deal since he smashed cena
    -The sami/big e/apollo thing is a solid ic level feud, and no way would Sami be given 4 segments on raw.

It's a 2 hour show that feels like a one hour show.

Compare it to raw
    "we've got 3 hours to fill"
    "hardy/ryker, hardy/elias then a handicap match?“
    " set it up on miz tv"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Disagree on the Kevin Owens piece. He’s been beaten so many times by Reigns already I don’t see him as a threat or a main event player at all. As soon as he loses at the Rumble he’ll disappear back to the midcard forever more.

I see people saying this but totally ignoring the two times he's been beaten has been with interference from Jey Uso again whether you buy Owens as a threat or not you can't discount it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,352 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

KO has been just used as a jobber to champions and lost his one world title to Goldberg in 22 seconds which killed any momentum the WWE could have built with him.

3 US title runs in the space of 4 months in 2017.

2 IC title runs in the space of 6 months in late 2016 early 2017 losing the last one to Zack Ryder.

Vince just uses him to put others over as champions.

I'm not saying he's always been booked great but saying he always loses to Reigns and then ignoring how he hasn't lost clean to him in this current feud is disingenuous.

The whole storyline is reigns beating the respect out of everyone who crosses him, strowman, the fiend, jey, drew, naka, adam pearce and solidifying himself as the head of the table. Then along comes Owens, the absolute antithesis of everything roman stands for, but he can't swat this particular fly, he's beaten him with chairs, ladders, tables, smashed him in a cage, thrown him off the balcony, but he can't put him down.

He's only beaten him because of jey uso, now Owens should Theoretically have him one on one, in a match where roman will hypothetically have to kill him to keep him down......

Is it the perfect story? No, but it's a well told little 2 month feud that has exceeded all my expectations.

• Advertisement

ThePott wrote: »
    I'm not saying he's always been booked great but saying he always loses to Reigns and then ignoring how he hasn't lost clean to him in this current feud is disingenuous.

Ah come on interference or not Owens still looks weak and like a chump. He is not relevant in the slightest. Vince doesn’t see him as a star. He’s there to put over Reigns as a big deal nothing more.

The Rumble is a nothing match. The endgame is to get Reigns to Mania as champ. Clear as day. There’s no threat and therefore no suspense to that title match.

Advertisement