Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail- Worst Service Ever 2018

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Hilly Bill wrote: »

All depends on the role and the station.

They seem to have a lot station staff cleared off down the country. You'd often see that there was no one in Athenry or Ballinasloe. Those stations used to have a fair amount of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

tabbey wrote: »
    In olden days, as you put it, station staff (porter / boy porter/ foreman - later depotman or whatever, swept the platforms and station buildings, cleaned the toilets, replaced light bulbs, provided general security ( including removing undesirables), assisted the public, sold tickets, answered the telephone (where provided), despatched trains, gave information, loaded / unloaded goods trains, put parcels on and off passenger trains and even carried passenger's luggage.

Today the few toilets are cleaned by low paid contactors staff, platforms swept by similar, security likewise. Tickets are sold largely by TVMs and the cash removed by security company.

Please do not tell me that there is a lot of multi-tasking nowadays.

I know that there are some staff of the company doing all of the above, shunting, on board and office ticket sales, the odd cover for gated crossings and freight loading. There are contract cleaners at many locations, but not everywhere and not all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

The 18.35 Waterford train has been delayed by 25 minutes and won't be leaving until 7pm. Apologies are not good enough. Irish Rail had better get their act together and stop treating Waterford line passengers like poor relations. It has gone on for too long. The 19:00 Cork train has been announced on Platform 5 and there's a Portlaoise train on Platform 3 but Waterford passengers are still waiting.

Irish Rail should at least review the fares on the Waterford line and reduce them from Athy to Waterford to reflect the poor service users get.

It is ridiculous that a passenger with an annual travel pass to Kildare pays less than a passenger with an annual travel pass to the next stop, Athy. The reason for this is Kildare travellers have a far wider choice of trains than the Athy passenger who has to use the Waterford cattle train. Carlow passengers shouldn't have to pay as much as Kildare passengers either.

A near platform for a change was finally called and people charged like a herd of elephants.

We want a better service on the Waterford train in 2019 and reduced fares from Athy onwards to reflect the poor choice of trains.

I and others had to change arrangements this evening, some people had to make urgent calls to get someone to collect children.

Even when running "normally" Waterford train rarely arrives at destinations at the advertised time. It's usually 5 or more minutes later.

Shame on Irish Rail. Apologies don't collect children from creche or scouts when parents can't be there. Apologies don't compensate for a service that is worse than any other train line that runs feom Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Emme wrote: »
    The 18.35 Waterford train has been delayed by 25 minutes and won't be leaving until 7pm. Apologies are not good enough. Irish Rail had better get their act together and stop treating Waterford line passengers like poor relations. It has gone on for too long. The 19:00 Cork train has been announced on Platform 5 and there's a Portlaoise train on Platform 3. If they put the Waterford train on Platform 6, 7 or 8 they are really pissing on us. Especially if they put it the far end of one of those platforms like they often do. Irish Rail should at least review the fares on the Waterford line and reduce them from Athy to Waterford to reflect the poor service users get.

Well a delay is better than reducing capacity with an on time departure.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well a delay is better than reducing capacity with an on time departure.

Get the finger out next year, stop shilling and bring the standard of the Waterford train up to that of other lines such as Cork. We are being robbed for the service we don't get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Get the finger out next year, stop shilling and bring the standard of the Waterford train up to that of other lines such as Cork. We are being robbed for the service we don't get.

to be fair that poster is neither shilling nor works for irish rail.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

to be fair that poster is neither shilling nor works for irish rail.

Maybe not. I noticed the Cork train on Platform 5 seemed to be a long train and it was sitting there for ages with no destination on it. Could that not have been used for Waterford and the one at Platform 2 for Cork? The Cork train seems to be sacred as far as Heuston is concerned, their service is never compromised.

Maybe not. I noticed the Cork train on Platform 5 seemed to be a long train and it was sitting there for ages with no destination on it. Could that not have been used for Waterford and the one at Platform 2 for Cork? The Cork train seems to be sacred as far as Heuston is concerned, their service is never compromised.

It was a 7 car, cannot operate to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes to be fair it's no secret that there are lines IE will go out of their way for and there are others they would leave to rot. in saying that, heuston seems to have a better time of it then connolly from what i can see.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I know that there are some staff of the company doing all of the above, shunting, on board and office ticket sales, the odd cover for gated crossings and freight loading.

There is no loading / unloading of freight today. The few freight trains now are all block trains mechanically loaded by crane or forklift.

Try lifting a 50 kg bag of cement from a goods van, then stacking it in a goods shed, and repeat that by 200 bags. Then do the same bringing it out to a road truck.

That is unloading a goods train, and for over a century that is what working on the railway meant for a porter, as well as all the other tasks.

• Advertisement

Irish Rail staff and unions go on about problems with driver only trains yet Dublin-Cork with a host just leave wheelchair passengers on them. Many hosts are required (or voluntarily) do a walk through on arrival and get the ramp for the passenger. This claim that Heuston never called doesn't stand up when there is a member supposed to be looking after customers on the train. Its the same when it comes to seat res, disruptive passengers as if by magic staff supposed to be doing there job just disappear.

CSO/Hosts are just a complete waste of money because its is unlikely anything will change.
    A WHEELCHAIR user has been left on trains in Cork without assistance from Irish Rail staff on several occasions in the past year.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Wheelchair-user-left-on-trains-by-rail-staff-15d2b74c-631e-4a83-883b-6f2c2602597b-ds

yes to be fair it's no secret that there are lines IE will go out of their way for and there are others they would leave to rot. in saying that, heuston seems to have a better time of it then connolly from what i can see.

To be fair it was a points fault on the Tralee line. The more important issue is a 7 car operating the 19.00 to Cork when the 17.05 to Sligo had to leave half the train behind because of a mechanical fault.

Had the 18.35 train left with reduced capacity it would be a much bigger deal and delaying departures (30-40 min max) should be the policy if they don't have sufficient capacity on a busy service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Far from the worst service ever but:

8.06am ICR from Enniscorthy to Dun Laoghaire today - general dirty inside i.e. floor needed a damn good vacuuming. I've seen what passes for cleaning on the evening Down Rosslare and it usually consists of the checker and a black bin bag - perhaps there's more done when the train reaches the terminus but judging from this morning I think not.

Returned on the 13.36 from Connolly - a three piece (!) ICR - passengers standing as far as Gorey. The snack trolley could not move through the train as a result and overall another unpleasant journey from the company that invites its patrons to "Rediscover the Joy of the Train".

Passengers on Wesport train for Roscommon were dumped at Castlerea this evening, apparently the doors didn't/were not opened. Given the large volume affected according to social media unlikely just a case of a single door out of service.

https://twitter.com/Maedhbhus/status/1076579295701680134

https://twitter.com/joanne_beirne/status/1076572687466721281

Or this

https://twitter.com/rory_mcguckin/status/1076473983606947842

The 18.35 Waterford train has been delayed by 25 minutes and won't be leaving until 7p

I am informed (not verified yet) that the service registered an on time arrival in Waterford at 20.46. I'm told it was 10.5-11 minutes behind therefore a 20.57 arrival which would be cast as delayed. 10-15 minute arrival delay is normal these days for the service.

Manipulating performance stats is not on and probally shows they could produce a pile of ****e and the NTA would accept it.

Advertisement