Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rocoll

hey guys, im coming from a non-law background, finance specifically, and sitting 3 exams in october and am a tad confused about a few things hoping someone can shed some light. I'm doing torts, criminal and contract and am finding the material quite ok so far but the exam itself is confusing me. Apologies in advance for the qs if they seem silly.

someone mentioned in the thread about being able to bring in pieces of legislation, is that possible for all exams or just certain ones? Is there anything else we can bring in ?

Also, i've plenty of sample answers but they all vary greatly in length and detail. Is there a guide as to how long and how much detail would be required for an answer? Would you be required to know very specific details eg. section number when talking about pieces of legislation etc.? On the same note would you be expected to reference lots of cases or would 4/5 be enough per answer? When talking about the cases do we need to give a summary of them or just ref them and discuss as if the examiners knows the case?

As you can see the style of answering is making me most nervous! Any other tips are more than welcome as I am very out of my element when it comes to law exams !

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Hi guys,

Am I the only one finding Easements in Property so hard understand and retain?
    I did this topic 4 times and i still find it hard.

Any advice how would you approach a question or why am i having such hard time with it?

Thank you

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is anyone else still waiting on their exam letters? Particularly anyone who requested special circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Hi

In your case you are allowed to bring the Contract legislation. if you have a look on the letter you received or the website it ll say which you are allowed to bring, no other.
    you need to know sections yes and case law.
    approx 4 to 5 pages per answer but it depends on question and style of writing as the questions are very specific but in some subjects they can be mixed. ie. in criminal you could cover 5 topics in a problem question.
    you only have 30 min per question and make sure you answer 5 its key to passing.
    last question unless is a case note, you can only give the finding in the case and why is it relevant to your answer.

hope this helps if you have any other questions you can message me private.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Officegirl101

Passing off didn't come up last year, I don't think. Q.6 was a Q on defective products.

That's what I thought! Okay thanks for that - was worried for a second there. Definitely covering passing off then.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Does anyone know what topics came up in tort last sitting?

Or what is due to come up?

Literally two weekends to study for this due to work so ill have to narrow it down and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

rocoll wrote: »
    hey guys, im coming from a non-law background, finance specifically, and sitting 3 exams in october and am a tad confused about a few things hoping someone can shed some light. I'm doing torts, criminal and contract and am finding the material quite ok so far but the exam itself is confusing me. Apologies in advance for the qs if they seem silly.

someone mentioned in the thread about being able to bring in pieces of legislation, is that possible for all exams or just certain ones? Is there anything else we can bring in ?

Also, i've plenty of sample answers but they all vary greatly in length and detail. Is there a guide as to how long and how much detail would be required for an answer? Would you be required to know very specific details eg. section number when talking about pieces of legislation etc.? On the same note would you be expected to reference lots of cases or would 4/5 be enough per answer? When talking about the cases do we need to give a summary of them or just ref them and discuss as if the examiners knows the case?

As you can see the style of answering is making me most nervous! Any other tips are more than welcome as I am very out of my element when it comes to law exams !

Thanks in advance :)

Hi
    I can give you a brutally honest answer (2 weeks out) or a nice one.

I'll focus on the latter.....
    Your LS letter will have details on legislation allowed (pink pages).

My answers tend to be 3 pages (4 pages max).
    Cases vary but just rattling off cases will mean a fail. You need to know the ratio (logic) behind the judgment. Discuss them in light of what's asked only.

Yes, you need an understanding of legislation. These are law exams.

TH if you're new to law and a bit lost 2 weeks out I worry. If you need resit in March- sit 4 and not 3. Give you leeway to fail one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MomTuR

Does anybody have a copy of the city colleges night before notes for October 2017? Specifically Constitutional, EU, Tort, Criminal, Contract!

Does anybody have a copy of the city colleges night before notes for October 2017? Specifically Constitutional, EU, Tort, Criminal, Contract!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

MomTuR wrote: »

They're not out yet. Will probably be on this link when they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

This may be a stupid question but when exactly does one use "CJEU" / "ECJ"?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

They're not out yet. Will probably be on this link when they are.

Never understood why there was no link for equity notes?

nmwcc wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question but when exactly does one use "CJEU" / "ECJ"?

You can use both. Technically the former is there courts (ECJ and General Court and one other).
    Using either is ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RyanMcG123

Probably a really obvious question but I just got my letter with law society and it has a really long ID number and a short candidate number and was wondering which one we write in the exam paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jackbraiden

RyanMcG123 wrote: »
    Probably a really obvious question but I just got my letter with law society and it has a really long ID number and a short candidate number and was wondering which one we write in the exam paper?

The short candidate number.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

“It is now well recognised that a company's members can give their sanction to a course of action in
    either three ways: first, by a resolution passed at a general meeting of the company, secondly, by
    unanimous written resolution and thirdly by an estoppel created with their unanimous informal agreement.”
    You are required to discuss this statement citing all relevant cases and statute law in your answer

Anybody know what to write for this question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LegalLaaaaady

Any predictions for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Query re: Professional Negligence.

Could anyone tell me if the Medical Negligence guidelines, expounded in Dunne v National Maternity Hospital (1989), apply equally to other professional negligence situations eg: Solicitors, Barristers, Accountands etc.,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

Can anyone exaplin the difference beween successive causes in Tort

Jobling v Assoication Dairies

and then L v Minister for Health

L v Minister for health seems to concur with Baker v Willoughby which HOL didn't really like.

Kind of confused

March 2016 – Question 1, Part A (Note, students were required to do Part A AND B in this question)

(A) Outline and discuss the key functions in the creation and application of European Union law of (i) the European Commission; (ii) the European Parliament; and (iii) the Council.

For a question like this, is there any point in learning off the functions when you can just copy it down from the act? Or does the act not include everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Any predictions for EU?

1. Institutions
    2. General principles
    3. Supremacy
    4. Case notes
    5. Fmg
    6. Citizenship
    7. Competiton law
    8. Equality

The a and b parts will be mixed up I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

The short candidate number.

What about legislation? Do we use the candidate number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Any get any company predictions?

In relation to constitutional law:

If guards make a bona fide attempt to contact your solicitor and you make statements before he arrives can the court use this?
    If they do not make bona fide attempts and you make a statement can they use this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lemonee_

Any tips for constitutional please? essential topics and the likes?

In relation to constitutional law:

If guards make a bona fide attempt to contact your solicitor and you make statements before he arrives can the court use this?
    If they do not make bona fide attempts and you make a statement can they use this?

Thanks

Look at Gormley and White etc

They must wait a REASONABLE time before questioning you I think. Can't interrogate you once you request one.
    CAN take samples though.
    Also law changed regarding right to solicitor being present in questioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

yournerd wrote: »
    1. Institutions
    2. General principles
    3. Supremacy
    4. Case notes
    5. Fmg
    6. Citizenship
    7. Competiton law
    8. Equality

The a and b parts will be mixed up I think!!

hey! what do you mean a & b will be mixed up?

Lemonee_ wrote: »
    Any tips for constitutional please? essential topics and the likes?

My guessing:

Fair Procedures
    Constitutional Challenge Obstacles
    Non Delegation Doctrine
    Proportionality
    Freedom of Expression

To name a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LegalLaaaaady

SM1803 wrote: »
    hey! what do you mean a & b will be mixed up?

The Examiner states in March 2017's Examiner Report that he has done away with the (a)/(b) style Qs as it has tended to confuse students and the only (a)/(b) style choice Q will appear for the case note Q hereforth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Look at Gormley and White etc

They must wait a REASONABLE time before questioning you I think. Can't interrogate you once you request one.
    CAN take samples though.
    Also law changed regarding right to solicitor being present in questioning.
    The subsequent appeal in DPP v. Doyle [2015] IECA 109 is worth noting on this topic.

The appellant had made a number of admissions during questioning and one ground of appeal was that these admissions were made in breach of his right to legal advice. An issue was made of the adequacy of the consultations the appellant received and whether this amounted to "reasonable access". There had been a number of telephone consultations and any time the appellant asked for access it was granted so this ground of appeal failed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement