Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KCross wrote: »
    Must be more than 400V so.

I think for the larger packs, like iPace, they are closer to 450V than 400V so maybe a combination of higher nominal voltages and higher current with beefed up active cooling would get it to 125kW.

800V is where it needs to go for the real high speeds though.

It would be interesting to see where Tesla take it. They are stuck on 120kW for a while now and Musk seems to have quietened down about 350kW.... talking about <200kW for the future.

I suppose, realistically, the majority dont need more than 125kW. Its only high end, high consumption super cars really need it because they will be burning through it.

Even looking at the S/X 100, charging that at 120kW is pretty slow, only 1.2C peak. I think we need to see 150kW rising to above 200kW pretty soon.

50kW has lasted too long being ubiquitous and it's getting to the point where it's holding back the industry. Even my 28kWh Ioniq can charge faster than 50kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Even looking at the S/X 100, charging that at 120kW is pretty slow, only 1.2C peak. I think we need to see 150kW rising to above 200kW pretty soon.

50kW has lasted too long being ubiquitous and it's getting to the point where it's holding back the industry. Even my 28kWh Ioniq can charge faster than 50kW.

50kW is old hat now alright. Thats going to be for Lidl car parks! :)

Bumping the rate up to 150kW+ will come at a cost and we are all looking for costs to come down, not up, so I wouldnt think we will see 150kW+ in a middle of the road EV in the medium term.

And of course the little issue with having the grid capacity. If 150kW charging became ubiquitous the grid would have issues I'd imagine. Battery storage would be required in that case, further increasing cost and complexity to the rapid operator.

Lets see what eCars and Ionity implement here. Paddy spec cars so probably paddy spec rapids! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Depends on the car. In your video, you can see the spec of the charger. It delivers 200-920V. So limited to just 200A (CCS1):

Ioniq, with a 360V pack, it means a max of 72kW. i-Pace with a 390V pack it means 78kw. But a Taycan has a pack voltage of 800V, so can charge at 160kW

And the max the charger can do is 920 * 200 = 184kW with CCS1 and 920 * 500 = 460kW with CCS2 :cool:

The video also shows that the max output current is 500A which is CCS2. The cable needs an upgrade.

https://insideevs.com/phoenix-contact-introduces-ccs-connector-for-500a-500-kw-charging-possible/

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's why I said "so limited to just 200A" ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I was going down the charger is capable, cable isn't route.
    Reminds me of the fun with USB C cables. Some charge faster than others and it can be hard to figure out why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

liamog wrote: »
    I was going down the charger is capable, cable isn't route.
    Reminds me of the fun with USB C cables. Some charge faster than others and it can be hard to figure out why.

You just need a Google engineer to drive around testing each charger, leaving Amazon reviews for each - easy !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Slightly off topic but related I think.

Not a EV owner but a lurker.

Redevelopment of garage North bound on N7 at Kill.
    Huge number of pumps put in and LPG and some other fuels but not a single charger, loads of space. Bonkers really

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No money in installing a charger for them, can understand why.
    Who's going to spend 50-100k installing a DC fast charger that will be obsolete in 3-5 years and they can't charge customers to use as there's a free one down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Cashel is on the “now building” map on the Ionity website. Have they broken ground there yet? This is the deal-breaker for me - it would mean a Dublin - Cork trip is a painless experience in an Ioniq.

Yep 120km/h from Dublin to Cashel. Break and charge for 20 minutes. Go to Cork at 120km/h, do your business, back to Cashel at 120km/h, break and charge for 20 minutes. Home to Dublin at 120km/h

• Advertisement

https://ionity.evapi.de/#/

Seems it takes them an average of 54 days to go from construction on the map to open.

The longest current outstanding one is from the 1st of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Driving Cork -Dublin today so pulled in to have a look .
    There’s a small section of the car park closed off but no ground broken yet . site notice on the fencing .
    It’s over to the right , thankfully sightly away from the buildings , lower risk of being ICED
    Must say can’t wait for it . It will make Cork - Dublin so much easier .
    The EFACE triple there has has its swipe card reader broken for ages and it’s a busy spot

TOLLOT wrote: »
    The EFACE triple there has has its swipe card reader broken for ages and it’s a busy spot

All the EFACEC triple chargers suffer from that regularly. Not the worst I guess as the charge can still be started remotely. More disturbing is that several EFACED triples have been unable to perform CCS charges recently. The one in Lucan was down for months (the busiest fast charge point in Ireland) :(

Seriously, a 6 bay charging area is like a dream. Imagine driving Dubin - Cork - Dublin knowing you have a fast reliable multi-bay site at the perfect location and not have to deal with the public infrastructure on your journey. I'd honestly pay 50 quid for my 30 min charge just for the privilege. Must be like how Model S owners feel all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Orebro wrote: »
    I'd honestly pay 50 quid for my 30 min charge just for the privilege.

Ssshhhhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Not Ionity related as such, but VW talking about dropping in large battery chargers as an alternative to permanent charging infrastructure...

https://www.techspot.com/news/78034-volkswagen-mobile-ev-charging-stations-appear-2019.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Not Ionity related as such, but VW talking about dropping in large battery chargers as an alternative to permanent charging infrastructure...

https://www.techspot.com/news/78034-volkswagen-mobile-ev-charging-stations-appear-2019.html

Portable power is a real issue for mass gatherings.

Imagine all those attending the ploughing festival , electric picnic etc arriving in EVs. They need to be able to provide temporary chargers. I’ve know there are some studies on using 40ft trucks loaded up with old lead car batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Going to venues like that is where the larger battery able to take you both ways on one charge come into its own, you're independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

ted1 wrote: »
    Portable power is a real issue for mass gatherings.

Imagine all those attending the ploughing festival , electric picnic etc arriving in EVs. They need to be able to provide temporary chargers. I’ve know there are some studies on using 40ft trucks loaded up with old lead car batteries.

I think as EV range and charger densities increase this will be a non-issue. In the same way they don't bring in tankers of petrol/diesel to big events, people will fill-up on their way to/from the event. If your EV has a range of 300km+ you'd be mad to arrive to an event near empty and queue for a handful of mobile chargers surely, when you could stop at one of many chargers on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zenith74 wrote: »
    I think as EV range and charger densities increase this will be a non-issue. In the same way they don't bring in tankers of petrol/diesel to big events, people will fill-up on their way to/from the event. If your EV has a range of 300km+ you'd be mad to arrive to an event near empty and queue for a handful of mobile chargers surely, when you could stop at one of many chargers on the road.

250,000 people go to the ploughing festival. The chargers on the road will be busy too. People travel the length of the country to get there , the struggle is real ;)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    250,000 people go to the ploughing festival. The chargers on the road will be busy too. People travel the length of the country to get there , the struggle is real ;)

The difference is that people have “fuel” at home and will leave with a full charge for a journey like that.

The motorway chargers will be busy of course on those days but I don’t think it will be that big an issue once the longer range EVs are the norm and the charging infrastructure is improved. We are talking a decade from now though.

A supplier of liquid cooled cables has issued a worldwide safety notice to shutdown their high powered chargers (175kW+)

Seems most of the big players are using the same company for cables...

Ionity
    https://ionity.eu/en/news-and-media.html

Fastned
    https://fastned.nl/en/blog/post/fastned-temporarily-shuts-down-175-k-w-chargers-as-supplier-investigates-safety-issue-with-cables

Eletricfy America
    https://www.electrifyamerica.com/news-updates

Any word on the completion date of the Ionity station in Cashel? I think their website says started like 50 days ago, but I think local reports are not much to see here??

Lots of activity in the car park there with mini diggers etc which I assume is ionity under construction.

KCross wrote: »
    A supplier of liquid cooled cables has issued a worldwide safety notice to shutdown their high powered chargers (175kW+)

Seems most of the big players are using the same company for cables...

Didn't we establish that the Irish Ionity chargers were all going to have non-liquid cooled cables to start? Which means they are limited to 175kW, but they are not affected by this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

https://ionity.eu/_Resources/Persistent/207a880b494306ddfd8fc1b3a88210caa6977dfd/20190129_IONITY-HUBERSUHNER-FINAL_EN.pdf

short version, - the temporary shutdown to check cables is over, cables were fine.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Any word on the completion date of the Ionity station in Cashel? I think their website says started like 50 days ago, but I think local reports are not much to see here??

https://www.reddit.com/r/evs_ireland/comments/akerm3/work_has_begun_on_the_cashel_ionity_chargers/

HSA site notice says it's started 17th December and is to run for "15", I guess this is up to 15 weeks maybe?

Zenith74 wrote:
    HSA site notice says it's started 17th December and is to run for "15", I guess this is up to 15 weeks maybe?

Thanks, that would make for end of March or early April so for the opening date if that's true.

Seems like a long build time for what it is.

My guess is they request those safety certs for longer than is required, to give them headroom.

• Advertisement

Ionity pricing details released - and yikes it ain't cheap - looks like unkel is bang on the money.

https://electrek.co/2019/02/01/audi-charging-pricing-structure-e-tron-electric-suv/

Advertisement