Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of carrying painkillers on a flight?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apologies, it was all legal opiates (not including Methadone), not just OTC ones and the numbers are comparable, not in excess of. Abuse of Nurofen Plus and similar products has been rife.
    Victor wrote: »
    In the 2004-2010 period, these drugs were killing 47-69 people per year in Ireland, when Heroin and Methadone were killing a combined 69-184 people per year in Ireland.
    I had to assemble the numbers from here: https://www.hrb.ie/fileadmin/publications.../NDRDI_web_update_2004-2010_01.pdf possibly Table 5

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here is a total anomaly. You can buy solpadeine in Dubai very cheaply from slot machines

BUT you cannot take it out of the country or bring it in.

Nurofen plus has 12 gms codeine and brufen; Boots have an own brand that is cheaper.

solpadeine has 8 mg codeine and paracetamol

Yes they are overused for many reasons.

Suffice it to say that i came nearer to accidental overdose in the months when I could not access prescribed pain relief; deep nerve pain not properly treated would drive a ... words there are none. In the solpadeine instance it is the paracetamol that kills. Pain is hell and hard to get proper help here.

tylex has 30 mg codeine and paracetamol

Back to topic? See pfevious post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Thailand has the same situation. You can buy most painkillers OTC with only a pharmacist consultation which happens in a private room.

But don't dare try to import them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,417 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:
    I'm missing your point. Are you suggesting that pathologists aren't picking up deaths by heroin?

Do we have accurate stats for such things and do they only count overdoses as deaths from heroin?
    What other kinds of deaths from heroin are there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Graces7 wrote: »
    Here is a total anomaly. You can buy solpadeine in Dubai very cheaply from slot machines

BUT you cannot take it out of the country or bring it in.

The basic formulation of Solpadeine no longer includes codeine (despite the name). I’m willing to bet that’s what you can get in UAE from a vending machine.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The basic formulation of Solpadeine no longer includes codeine (despite the name). I’m willing to bet that’s what you can get in UAE from a vending machine.

No it has codeine. 8 mg per tablet, and afaik still is that here. Not bought any here for a while as I am on prescription but a/c to online pharmacies, still the same ie with codeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,163 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have no idea what the formulation is in dubai but the formulation here still contains 8mg of codeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

They are 2 different products. Solpadeine in its basic formulation has codeine in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Turns out i’m Thinking of the U.K. one where there is a headache non codeine version - that’s where I last bought it.

• Advertisement

Turns out i’m Thinking of the U.K. one where there is a headache non codeine version - that’s where I last bought it.

yep; I had a look round as I knew I had seen that somewhere but not here. I had All is well!

Miike wrote: »
    They are 2 different products. Solpadeine in its basic formulation has codeine in it.

same everywhere ; 8 mg

Advertisement