Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of carrying painkillers on a flight?

Options
  • 03-06-2019 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I've taken codeine (in Nurofen Plus) to the states before and didn't have a problem but I have heard that it is a schedule 3 substance there so you can get a fine for bringing it in.

I do wonder however, what are the laws regarding importation into Ireland/carrying onto countries in the EU? My aunt living in California has a stash of hydrocodone (Vicodin) pills she carries not to Ireland but to Africa and hasn't been stopped but she was warned that she needs to carry a prescription for it or else could get into serious trouble.

Hypothetically, what would happen if she were to visit with a substancial amount of pills only for personal use legally obtained from a physician in the U.S. but she placed them in a non-medicinal bottle without her name or any proof of a prescription.

Would she get fined, charged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It depends on the country. I always carry Tramadol because crippling knee pain can strike me at any stage. When I travel overseas I bring a letter from my gp as some countries class it just below narcotics.

When travelling with prescription drugs you should have original packaging in your name /a copy of your prescription/a letter from your doctor to be safe.

I've taken codeine (in Nurofen Plus) to the states before and didn't have a problem but I have heard that it is a schedule 3 substance there so you can get a fine for bringing it in.

I do wonder however, what are the laws regarding importation into Ireland/carrying onto countries in the EU? My aunt living in California has a stash of hydrocodone (Vicodin) pills she carries not to Ireland but to Africa and hasn't been stopped but she was warned that she needs to carry a prescription for it or else could get into serious trouble.

Hypothetically, what would happen if she were to visit with a substancial amount of pills only for personal use legally obtained from a physician in the U.S. but she placed them in a non-medicinal bottle without her name or any proof of a prescription.

You need to bring the prescription. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . Hypothetically, what would happen if she were to visit with a substancial amount of pills only for personal use legally obtained from a physician in the U.S. but she placed them in a non-medicinal bottle without her name or any proof of a prescription.
    Hypothetically, why wouldn't she just carry the prescription?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

It's medicine. They have bigger things to worry about. Don't bring 12 packets.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

percy212 wrote: »
    It's medicine. They have bigger things to worry about. Don't bring 12 packets.

Okay but what if you couldn't prove you had a prescription for it? it is a controlled substance after all.

• Advertisement

Okay but what if you couldn't prove you had a prescription for it? it is a controlled substance after all.

Letter from gp. Community pharmacy should have copy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Depends on the country. UAE for example (although severe) has a strict ban on Tramadol and can see you in prison even with a prescription and a medical report.

Miike wrote: »
    Depends on the country. UAE for example (although severe) has a strict ban on Tramadol and can see you in prison even with a prescription and a medical report.

I've taken it through Dubai four times and never even been asked for my letter. Kept in original packaging and always bring the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Caranica wrote: »
    I've taken it through Dubai four times and never even been asked for my letter. Kept in original packaging and always bring the letter.

1. Were you entering the country or merely passing through. Customs doesn't 'usually' apply to people passing through an airport to go to a third country.
    2. Did you declare them? Declaring something before entering a country 'usually' defeats accusations of possession / importation.
    3. Were they recognised for what they were? Was the quantity a prohibited quantity?

Victor wrote: »
    1. Were you entering the country or merely passing through. Customs doesn't 'usually' apply to people passing through an airport to go to a third country.
    2. Did you declare them? Declaring something before entering a country 'usually' defeats accusations of possession / importation.
    3. Were they recognised for what they were? Was the quantity a prohibited quantity?

Passing through and declared. I had 60 on me the first two times and about 45 the other two.

• Advertisement

Google 'Tramadol UAE' you need to apply for prior approval from the Ministry of Health's Registration and Drug Control Department to move the medicine into the country even if it's a layover. Without this authorization but having everything else you'll still face imprisonment as it is a criminal offense by their law.

Edit: https://www.uae-embassy.org/sites/default/files/Guidelines%20for%20carrying%20medecines%20to%20UAE.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

How do they find them if that's not a totally stupid question. Do they x ray EVERY bag, suitcase and hand/man bag or what? Or do they have doggie detectors.

Not that it bothers me at the moment, I am just curious. Soluble Paracetemol is the strongest I have when travelling. I hate swallowing tablets, just me, so it has to be in a glass of water or something, which is sometimes more difficult to achieve than being caught for illicit drugs under whatever country's rules!

Google 'Tramadol UAE' you need to apply for prior approval from the Ministry of Health's Registration and Drug Control Department to move the medicine into the country even if it's a layover. Without this authorization but having everything else you'll still face imprisonment as it is a criminal offense by their law.

Edit: https://www.uae-embassy.org/sites/default/files/Guidelines%20for%20carrying%20medecines%20to%20UAE.pdf

I did. And contacted them but they never replied!

I did. And contacted them but they never replied!

There's an online system now which is supposedly amazing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Miike wrote:

Not allowed in Egypt either. Big signs at the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Don't be taking painkillers to Thailand either. They take the matter rather seriously.

There's an online system now which is supposedly amazing :pac:

Last time I tried was April 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I made the mistake of watching online a film called "The Bangkok Hilton". Still terrifies me remembering it. Had no idea re all this

Codeine is bad news in the US. and getting like that here now even in the small amounts in OTC meds. for risk of addiction and escalation but it remains a highly effective painkiller in need and yes always carry paperwork if travelling

Graces7 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of watching online a film called "The Bangkok Hilton". Still terrifies me remembering it. Had no idea re all this

Codeine is bad news in the US. and getting like that here now even in the small amounts in OTC meds. for risk of addiction and escalation but it remains a highly effective painkiller in need and yes always carry paperwork if travelling

To be fair I don't think codeine even in the US is in the same class as some of the prescription opiates (oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine) they have there. I have taken about 48 Nurofen Plus tablets over there and they didn't seem concerned.

Medicines like Oramoprh or Fentanyl are those that customs officers in the US, Canada, UK are what I wonder one would face penalties for. They are in some countries ranked on the same status as heroin.

I know a lad who told me he bought some oxy pills of his friend who got prescribed too many in the US. Tried to bring them to Australia without a prescription and was given a warning with a €2,000 fine.

To be fair I don't think codeine even in the US is in the same class as some of the prescription opiates (oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine) they have there. I have taken about 48 Nurofen Plus tablets over there and they didn't seem concerned.

Medicines like Oramoprh or Fentanyl are those that customs officers in the US, Canada, UK are what I wonder one would face penalties for. They are in some countries ranked on the same status as heroin.

I know a lad who told me he bought some oxy pills of his friend who got prescribed too many in the US. Tried to bring them to Australia without a prescription and was given a warning with a €2,000 fine.

Agree totally but there is near-hysteria here at times. I am on tylex for intractable pain and when I moved here nearly 2 years ago and asked my new GP all hell broke loose. I was told I must be an addict etc etc etc and treated like dirt frankly
    It was many months later when I finally got my previous retired GP to contact the new one that my pain relief was restored. My notes had gone missing!

I am stable on the same dose for well over a decade and am careful

Buying even solpadeine OTC means a small interrogation at the pharmacy here. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,292 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

“My Aunt “

Anyway OP, have the prescription ready in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Buying even solpadeine OTC means a small interrogation at the pharmacy here. .
    In Ireland, over the counter painkillers kill more people than heroin.

I do not believe that frankly. We probably just do not always hear of heroin deaths. And at some stage we all and each have to take personal responsibility for our lives and what we take etc,
    and no reason to prevent us buying what we need.

I actually in the while when i was new here and drs were still sorting their paperwork out to resume my consultant prescribed pain relief was made to feel like a junkie going in and out pf pharmacies having to justify my purchase to a non-medic in public . It was degrading.

It would actually have been easier and less stressful to go illegal and it was offered once.

Anyways I am past travelling but if I did I would be very sure to take the correct paperwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Surely such pharmacy interrogations should be conducted in private?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I do not believe that frankly. We probably just do not always hear of heroin deaths.

So the pathologists and coroners are just missing the heroin bit?

Surely such pharmacy interrogations should be conducted in private?

Thank you. And yes, but they are not.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do we have accurate stats for such things and do they only count overdoses as deaths from heroin?

Do you have a source on that? I'd love to read more about it. I've read that prescription painkillers kill more people than heroin and cocaine combined or that Tramadol takes more lives than heroin overdoses but never the OTC thing.

Not doubting - I'd just like to read more in-depth about it! :)

• Advertisement

Do you have a source on that? I'd love to read more about it. I've read that prescription painkillers kill more people than heroin and cocaine combined or that Tramadol takes more lives than heroin overdoses but never the OTC thing.

Not doubting - I'd just like to read more in-depth about it! :)

I thought it was the combination of benzos (polydrug use) that contributes to most deaths, not heroin in itself.

So benzos+ alcohol or benzos+coke or benzos+GHB etc...

Advertisement