Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Wilds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Zillah wrote: »
    Epic are really pissing me off with these exclusives. It makes me less willing to use their platform.

Well I assumethese exclusive also help smaller devs, of caourse I would like all games to come out everywhere, but if your a small team and someone offers money upfront to pay for the dev costs for exclusivity for 6 months/year then why not.

Prob not healthy if we just have the 1 Steam marketplace

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

brav wrote: »
    Prob not healthy if we just have the 1 Steam marketplace

That's a completely different issue. I would be cheerleading Epic if they were competing by offering better prices or a superior service, but by all accounts their system is a pile of garbage, with their only unique selling point being that they are throwing cash at devs to artificially segregate the market. They're not encouraging competition, it's anti-competitive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zillah wrote: »
    That's a completely different issue. I would be cheerleading Epic if they were competing by offering better prices or a superior service, but by all accounts their system is a pile of garbage, with their only unique selling point being that they are throwing cash at devs to artificially segregate the market. They're not encouraging competition, it's anti-competitive.

Emm... Epic literally subsidised a tenner off this game’s retail price for the first several weeks of release. Not a hope in hell Steam would do the same :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Coming to PS4 very soon.

Please see above for thoughts on why that’s a good thing. TLDR: One of the best games of the decade.

https://twitter.com/a_i/status/1181600136201244674?s=21

Yeah I'll buy it again on PS4 to support them . Got it for nothing a year before release for watching an E3 stream on mixer and felt guilty because it was so good.

Worth booting it up for the traveller theme alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

This seems to be coming out very soon after it was announced which is about a year. Open world MMO by Obsidian, I bet it's bug ridden

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

This seems to be coming out very soon after it was announced which is about a year. Open world MMO by Obsidian, I bet it's bug ridden

This is Outer Wilds, your thinking of The Outer Worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

brav wrote: »
    This is Outer Wilds, your thinking of The Outer Worlds

In fairness I keep getting confused between the two as well.

What is the actual gameplay loop in this or what games is it within the same vein as? I'm very enticed just going by the reception to it but also kinda want to go in as blind as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Coming to PS4 very soon.

Please see above for thoughts on why that’s a good thing. TLDR: One of the best games of the decade.

https://twitter.com/a_i/status/1181600136201244674?s=21

This is great news, I didn't have to wait that long so haha

Penn wrote: »
    In fairness I keep getting confused between the two as well.

What is the actual gameplay loop in this or what games is it within the same vein as? I'm very enticed just going by the reception to it but also kinda want to go in as blind as possible.

22 minutes to get in your ship and explore the solar system to find out whats going on. Doesn't get old, you wake up dying to get back to the planet you were just on and back to the point you spotted something interesting just before your time is up.

The process of flying to your destination, landing and ditching the ship to head off on foot is quick and easy given the limited time you have.

You could kind of say it's a super compact version of no mans sky, with no crafting etc and no randomly generated planets and a much stronger narrative and atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's an unbelievable puzzle/exploration game. Still can't believe that I got it for free, one of the best games of this generation. Very melancholy at the end too, which surprised me as it isn't the longest game going.

Delighted that more people can experience it now, they deserve all the praise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read gushing reviews about this but put it out of my mind as it wasn't on ps4. I was just googling Outer Worlds which is coming out in a couple of weeks when this popped up as being on Tuesday for PlayStation. I can't see how 22 minutes is enough to fly to a planet and explore/solve puzzles before having to start again but I'm really intrigued and don't want to Google anymore, just experience it. Any idea how much it might be? Can't seem to find it in the store for preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The loop has be intrigued too, so I will definitely pick this up at some stage. Can't find a price either, but it's currently €25 on the Xbox store, so I'd imagine something similar, probably €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I read gushing reviews about this but put it out of my mind as it wasn't on ps4. I was just googling Outer Worlds which is coming out in a couple of weeks when this popped up as being on Tuesday for PlayStation. I can't see how 22 minutes is enough to fly to a planet and explore/solve puzzles before having to start again but I'm really intrigued and don't want to Google anymore, just experience it. Any idea how much it might be? Can't seem to find it in the store for preorder.

I wouldn't gush as much as other here about it. It's technically a good game,the universe is pretty, diverse and interesting but I do actually find the loop annoying. It's alright at the start but as youi expand to bigger parts of the game it gets frustrating as I feel I'm trying to rush everything rather than take my time and absorb then if you're down the rabbit hole somewhere and can't remember how you got there in the first place you've to faff about finding it all over again.

I wouldn't gush as much as other here about it. It's technically a good game,the universe is pretty, diverse and interesting but I do actually find the loop annoying. It's alright at the start but as youi expand to bigger parts of the game it gets frustrating as I feel I'm trying to rush everything rather than take my time and absorb then if you're down the rabbit hole somewhere and can't remember how you got there in the first place you've to faff about finding it all over again.

Thats how the loop works though, it might take you X number of times but once you seen it you don't need to do it or see it again for the most part and you can skip the steps it took to get there unless its dependent on the time of the loop you are in like how the twins work. It is totally possible once you know what to do to complete the game in one loop and theres even a trophy/achievement for it.

I could go into it in more detail but I'm conscious of those who haven't played it.

To put it simply the fact you are ripped away from the point of discovery after 22 minutes is a big plus not a negative. The game doesn't make it a chore to get back there. Like you don't need to do X Y Z for 10 minutes and then you can do A B C each loop for the most part.

You learned X, Y, Z last time so can go right to A the next time.

Thats how the loop works though, it might take you X number of times but once you seen it you don't need to do it or see it again for the most part and you can skip the steps it took to get there unless its dependent on the time of the loop you are in like how the twins work. It is totally possible once you know what to do to complete the game in one loop and theres even a trophy/achievement for it.

I could go into it in more detail but I'm conscious of those who haven't played it.

To put it simply the fact you are ripped away from the point of discovery after 22 minutes is a big plus not a negative. The game doesn't make it a chore to get back there. Like you don't need to do X Y Z for 10 minutes and then you can do A B C each loop for the most part.

You learned X, Y, Z last time so can go right to A the next time.

Well I guess for me (who hasn't finished it) in places like Brittle Hollow I'm not sure where I've been or if I need to go and look around more etc etc and then I'm rushing about looking because I'm conscious of the timer and not sure if I've taken in a detail I'm supposed to have.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well I guess for me (who hasn't finished it) in places like Brittle Hollow I'm not sure where I've been or if I need to go and look around more etc etc and then I'm rushing about looking because I'm conscious of the timer and not sure if I've taken in a detail I'm supposed to have.

In your ship there's a console that shows you everything that you've discovered, where you discovered it and if there's more to discover there.

Basically if something doesn't have the entry "There's more to discover here" then you've probably found everything you need in that particular spot.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    In your ship there's a console that shows you everything that you've discovered, where you discovered it and if there's more to discover there.

Basically if something doesn't have the entry "There's more to discover here" then you've probably found everything you need in that particular spot.

Yup I know but I'm not sure if that's needlessly pushing me to move on rather than explore. I'm left thinking did I miss any writing or cool niche somewhere.

Picked this up last night, played about 90 minutes of it. It is interesting, and quite beautiful, but my god I cannot manage that feckin ship. I can't tell if I'm in atmosphere or space, and I'm constantly hopping off the ground. Accidentally backed into the sun once... Was just hovering around one of the planets having a look, waiting for it to do a full circle, next thing my screen starts bleeding red, I turn around to meet death! Well, maybe I could have lived but I seemed to have went towards it instead of away...

But, I'm interested. I've no idea why i'm doing what I'm doing but I'm doing it regardless. I hope it holds my interest, but the ship will break me if I don't get used to it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Picked this up last night, played about 90 minutes of it. It is interesting, and quite beautiful, but my god I cannot manage that feckin ship. I can't tell if I'm in atmosphere or space, and I'm constantly hopping off the ground. Accidentally backed into the sun once... Was just hovering around one of the planets having a look, waiting for it to do a full circle, next thing my screen starts bleeding red, I turn around to meet death! Well, maybe I could have lived but I seemed to have went towards it instead of away...

But, I'm interested. I've no idea why i'm doing what I'm doing but I'm doing it regardless. I hope it holds my interest, but the ship will break me if I don't get used to it.

I was still bouncing the ship off the ground like a ping pong ball after 15 hours :D Auto pilot is invaluable if you want to go somewhere specific, just be ready to take over in case something passes into your path.

Also steer clear of the sun, once you're in the gravity well it's hard to get out.

• Advertisement

Probably what happened me so. Autopilot? I know there's an option to match the speed of the planet, but it just floats there looking at it.

Probably what happened me so. Autopilot? I know there's an option to match the speed of the planet, but it just floats there looking at it.

Yeah if you highlight a planet on the HUD or map when piloting the ship there should be an option for autopilot. It won't land the ship for you though but it will get you next to the planet you want to go to.

If playing with K+M auto pilot is x although it's a bit janky just press x to cancel.

Using space to match speed works well in space, use it often.

In atmosphere it just takes a bit to get used to. You'll get there although it's not smooth even when you get better at it.

So I think I have some kind of control over the ship now, and played a bit more a couple of nights ago. That place under Brittle Hollow is amazing. Actually, every planet is amazing and full of hidden little gems. It'll take me a while to finish this now though, but will be a grand little break between extended sessions of CoD this weekend!

But yeah, so far I'm genuinely impressed with this, and I still don't quite know exactly what to do, but I'm intrigued to find out more.

In Brittle Hollow, I fell
    into the black hole. Didn't intend to, but was intending on throwing myself into it at some stage anyway for the lols. Immediately surprised, then a little panicked when I saw how far away I was, floating in space. Luckily found the way back. Brilliant!

Oh Dark Bramble, you head **** of a place!

I'm playing this a bit more recently, and every new discovery pushes you forward, even if you don't know which way is forward! Really intrigued with the story now. Would be a stunning game in VR imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lads - quick query on how long you reckon I have left in the game, as its very nebulous in terms of whats what.

I'll spoiler it all just in case.
    I've discovered the story behind the masks, and the probe cannon, and have found the coordinates for the eye of the universe, and I've also discovered why the reset happens. On the planet that fills with sand, I've found the power plant, and played around with the warp cores on the wall which let me create my own miniature black and white hole test, On brittle hollow, I've yet to get into the southern observatory, I nearly made it last night but missed a jump and fell into the black hole. Again.

Outside of that, its telling me I have more to see at the hanging city, but I cant for the life of me find it, and I've only been to dark bramble once. I still need to get under the ice on the interloper, but only managed it once before getting killed by ghost matter.

So based on all that - Is it fair to assume I'm pretty close to the end?

Hard to say, but you’re absolutely getting there! As you point out yourself you will need to deal with the
    Interloper and Dark Bramble.

In terms of the Hanging City, perhaps it’s the
    Black Hole Forge
    stuff that’s incomplete? That’s late game business.

Yeah you're not far off but would definitely advise doing a bit more exploration on dark bramble.

For southern observatory
    I ended up flying my ship under the surface of the planet and getting as close as possible, lodging on top of a tree and jumping out as there was one particular jump I kept screwing up on foot

Interloper/Ghost matter:
    Use your probes, fire them down the passages before you go down them, if it says there's a hazard don't go that way. The ghost matter isn't actually the crystals it's invisible so if your probe doesn't warn you then it's safe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cheers gents, I figured I was nearly there alright.

@Mickeroo -
    I actually got to the bottom cavern on interloper, i was fairly low health from earlier shenannigans though and the bare smell of dark matter did me in. I've tried oto go back several times, but I've either ended up roasted by the sun by being there too early, or flung off into space by the gravity pull of giants deep as it passes by. I got a bit frustrated and ended up exploring elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Cheers gents, I figured I was nearly there alright.

@Mickeroo -
    I actually got to the bottom cavern on interloper, i was fairly low health from earlier shenannigans though and the bare smell of dark matter did me in. I've tried oto go back several times, but I've either ended up roasted by the sun by being there too early, or flung off into space by the gravity pull of giants deep as it passes by. I got a bit frustrated and ended up exploring elsewhere.

Yeah it's very tricky to land on it in fairness.
    I found it easier to land in the back/tail first then work my way around.

Advertisement