Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 20th place with 7 points is
    y0ssar1an22

Michael Jackson - Beat It

It's far from being my favourite Michael Jackson song by a long way, but if I was near a dance floor and it came on, I can't deny that'd I'd be out there throwing shapes in a flash. Hard to place it much higher than this though given its competition in this round.

In 7th place and getting 20 points here is
    tusk

Prince - Purple Rain

Just a fantastic and truly iconic piece of music from beginning to end. As much as I enjoy Sign 'O' The Times, of the two this was always going to be the highest ranked of the Prince songs. The only Prince song of his that would have outranked it here would've been When Doves Cry.

In 21st place with 6 points is
    Sawduck

Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue

I've always been pretty indifferent to this song, but it grew on me a bit after a few listens here and jumped up a few spots as a result.

6th and getting 21 points is
    Necro

Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dog - Still D.R.E.

Hadn't heard this in many many years, and didn't expect this to rank so highly initially, but that piano drip throughout is something I found really appealing which elevated it a lot, and it just kept jumping up the list.

In 22nd place with 5 points is
    Deleted User

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

I'm a big fan of another Curtis Mayfield track Move On Up, which you had mentioned when submitting your entries and it would've done very well here. This was grand, but it just didn't stand out much and got a bit lost amidst all the other songs in this round.

• Advertisement

5th and getting 22 points is
    JP Liz V1

Kendrick Lamar - Humble

I had heard this once or twice before, but I've never paid much notice to Kendrick Lamar, mostly to annoy two of my friends who absolutely love him and are always trying to get me to listen to his stuff, but I ended up liking this song more and more with each listen. I may have to finally submit and check out some more of his stuff. Just don't tell my mates I caved... :D

23d and getting 4 points is
    quickbeam

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Buffalo Soldier

Have nothing bad to say about Buffalo Soldier, it just doesn't grab me very much unfortunately. I know people love it, but just never warmed to it myself.

In 4th place with 23 points is
    mustang shelly

Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You)

I had completely forgotten this song ever existed, but it was a very welcome blast from the past when I started playing it. I remember when it came out and it was in the charts for a bit twenty years ago, but don't think I'd heard it since. Had this blasting in the kitchen one night last week and dancing along to it. CHOON!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Meh, not one I'm too emotionally attached to. I can live with my placing. At least it's not last.

Gonna let the top 3 and bottom 3 sweat for a few minutes before revealing those.

Left to be announced are (in alphabetical order): beakerjoe, Clarabel, Electric Nitwit, Kolido, Reberetta, and Rothko

Familiar territory for Clara and EN from the first round, but it was only good news for one of them. Is history about to repeat itself?

• Advertisement

24th and getting 3 points is
    Reberetta

Big Boy Groves - I Got a New Car

I did find myself nodding my head along to it, but overall didn't leave much of an impression and kind of just forgot about it after each listen.

In 3rd place with 24 points is
    Clarabel

Amadou & Mariam - Bofou Safou

This is absolutely infectious, I love it. Impossible not to start moving along with the rhythm while listening to it. Great to get something that isn't in English too. Not much else to be said about it, a really great choice.

25th and getting 2 points is
    Kolido

All-4-One - I Swear

The verses leave a lot to be desired, and the vocals aren't great at all, but the iconic and recognisable chorus is enough to save it from being dead last.

2nd and getting 25 points is
    beakerjoe

Frank Ocean - Swim Good

I've heard some Frank Ocean stuff before in passing and enjoyed it, but wasn't familiar with this one and thought it was really good. He's got a really great singing voice, and the lyrics are really powerful. It's a surprisingly beautiful song considering the story of it is a murder-suicide.

In last place for this round with 1 point is
    Rothko

Little Simz feat. Cleo Sol - Selfish

I really liked the rapping parts and I'd be tempted to check out Little Simz just on her own. If it was just the rap all the way through, this would probably be quite high up the list, but f**k me that chorus is absolutely woeful; I could hardly bare to listen to it. Sorry Rothko, but someone's gotta be in last, and Cleo Sol has done you no favours.

Which means 1st place and 26 points go to
    Electric Nitwit

Dave - Black

This is exactly the type of song I was hoping for in this category. Lyrically it's absolutely superb, but I also really love the simplicity of the music. I've never heard of this Dave chap, but must check out some more of his stuff if it's anywhere near this level. Nice bounce back after the last round EN. Great choice.

The leaderboard after the first two rounds...

name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total
    Clarabel 26 24 50
    Necro 25 21 46
    mustang shelly 23 23 46
    Trigger 24 13 37
    Irish Aris 18 19 37
    beakerjoe 12 25 37
    Gru 16 16 32
    fixXxer 21 9 30
    tusk 10 20 30
    osh 11 17 28
    JP Liz V1 6 22 28
    Homer J. Fong 22 5 27
    Electric Nitwit 1 26 27
    phatkev 15 11 26
    ShaneU 8 18 26
    cj maxx 17 8 25
    quickbeam 19 4 23
    the purple tin 7 15 22
    Rothko 20 1 21
    Sawduck 14 6 20
    Zaph 5 14 19
    Kolido 13 2 15
    RasTa 2 12 14
    lassykk 3 10 13
    Reberetta 9 3 12
    y0ssar1an22 4 7 11

Planning to do the Looks Like Rain, Ted! reveal tomorrow at some stage. Probably later in the evening if it's not clashing with anything else, but I'll give the usual advance notice late morning/early afternoon tomorrow anyway.

And here's the #BlackCultureMatters playlist on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5L3Ao3oIFzr7gLIej3PlgYyFZ-yNEfsf

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Which means 1st place and 26 points go to
    Electric Nitwit

Dave - Black

This is exactly the type of song I was hoping for in this category. Lyrically it's absolutely superb, but I also really love the simplicity of the music. I've never heard of this Dave chap, but must check out some more of his stuff if it's anywhere near this level. Nice bounce back after the last round EN. Great choice.

Not my kind of music at all, but Dave's performance of this song at the Brits was incredibly powerful. He added some extra verses which really pulled no punches. Well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

10 20 30 lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Zaph wrote: »
    Not my kind of music at all, but Dave's performance of this song at the Brits was incredibly powerful. He added some extra verses which really pulled no punches. Well worth checking out.

Yeah this was unreal

In 22nd place with 5 points is
    Deleted User

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

This was grand, but it just didn't stand out much and got a bit lost amidst all the other songs in this round.

v5y7z6ra72e31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Nice reveal Levar and well done EN.

I swear is very generic, not surprised it scored low

Zaph wrote: »

That's class. I mean, the song already won the round, but this version would probably win it even more... :D

tusk wrote: »
    10 20 30 lol

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Delighted with my scoring so far.

Particularly given some of the later category entries... :pac:

Kolido wrote: »
    I swear is very generic, not surprised it scored low

If it was sung well, it'd be a bit better, but the vocals were just off and they didn't even have the excuse of it being live or anything, that's the actual album recording.

As I said though, there were no songs I really hated here, same goes for all other rounds, except for tomorrow's Weather based outings, which includes four songs I absolutely can't stand and the worst four songs of the entire Walrus, and I don't hold back in my notes either... ;)
    Aside from those four, it's another really really strong round overall.

Necro wrote: »
    Delighted with my scoring so far.

Particularly given some of the later category entries... :pac:

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

except for tomorrow's Weather based outings, which includes four songs I absolutely can't stand and the worst four songs of the entire Walrus, and I don't hold back in my notes either... ;)

Sh!te, what did I submit again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If it was sung well, it'd be a bit better, but the vocals were just off and they didn't even have the excuse of it being live or anything, that's the actual album recording.

As I said though, there were no songs I really hated here, same goes for all other rounds, except for tomorrow's Weather based outings, which includes four songs I absolutely can't stand and the worst four songs of the entire Walrus, and I don't hold back in my notes either... ;)

/rushes off to check what I entered...

Advertisement