Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great reveal Levar, mid table, happy enough with that.

Need to let some of you get a head start I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Irish Aris wrote: »
    wow, that was a really great selection of songs, I wouldn't want to be in your place ranking these.

Fair play Clarabel, that was a very interesting choice and I like it that you got.
    And agree with quickbeam, whenever suits you best for the next reveal, just let us know :)
    It's all downhill from here. I tried to select some really obscure pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Aren't you next up to run one? You'll be likely in my place very soon so. :D

Most likely I will fire ahead with the reveal about 5-ish tomorrow, as I don't want to keep people waiting if I've already got the results ready to go, but I'll let you all know by 1pm at the latest.

The plan is to reveal a Round a day if possible, but don't want to clash with any other reveals and may have to miss a day or two along the way depending on what else I've got going on.

Yes, I'm next in line. I have cleared it with the guys that skipped in case they wanted to go next and have my categories almost pinned down (not sure about one of them tbh. . .), but I will wait a few more days as there are 3 reveals open at the moment, plus a surlaw, plus the Eurovision contest. So maybe get things started next weekend. In the meantime I downloaded and need to familiarise myself with the sheepulator :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Yes, I'm next in line. I have cleared it with the guys that skipped in case they wanted to go next and have my categories almost pinned down (not sure about one of them tbh. . .), but I will wait a few more days as there are 3 reveals open at the moment, plus a surlaw, plus the Eurovision contest. So maybe get things started next weekend. In the meantime I downloaded and need to familiarise myself with the sheepulator :D

You don't need a Sheepulatur for Walrus though. Excel spreadsheet will do the job for the tables, and Word for your notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

You don't need a Sheepulatur for Walrus though. Excel spreadsheet will do the job for the tables, and Word for your notes.

Cool, thanks for letting me know LeVar!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I was convinced I was going to be in the bottom three so very happy to get 7th.

I don't think I would have ever predicted Steve Reich to take the top spot but he's a great choice.

2nd place and getting 25 points is
    Necro

Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time

Yeah, that's right b*tches... I'm giving Britney second place, because 11 year-old LeVar f**king loved this song, and 33 year-old LeVar loves it even more. Britney was never able to come close to reaching the level of brilliance that is ...Baby One More Time again, so as an artist I may not rate her particularly high in general, but this song as a standalone has got everything I want from a pop song, and always happy to hear it. Great choice!

I think I read somewhere that this song was originally offered to TLC but they turned it down in favour of No Scrubs. I've never been keen on Britney's voice so this song never did much for me but I reckon T-Boz's low husky voice would have suited it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Love 1 more light, wish I thought of it.

Glad it placed so highly but it makes me sad listening to it for obvious reasons. Nevertheless, awesome track

Going to do the #BlackCultureMatters reveal at about 5pm today (give or take a few minutes)

Again, no one stumbled upon any of my pre-selected songs here, so no bonus points for anyone, but here they are anyway, some of the ones I might have opted for if I was entering the category myself...

Charles Bradley - The World (Is Going Up In Flames)

Josephine Oniyama - What a Day

Loah - Nothing

RAY BLK - Run Run

Santigold - Disparate Youth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Nice to see Charles Bradley get a bit of recognition

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    Nice to see Charles Bradley get a bit of recognition

That was the song I was listening to when I had the idea for the category actually. Such a shame he only hit it big in the final years of his life. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Looking at those, I feel as though my fall from grace will be swift!

Trigger wrote: »

You never know...

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Trigger wrote:

As evidenced from the last round I think it's fair to say LeVar has a very diverse range of taste so I wouldn't rule anything out... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

That was the song I was listening to when I had the idea for the category actually. Such a shame he only hit it big in the final years of his life. RIP.

Have you seen the doc that was made about him? Its called Soul of America, or something along those lines

phatkev wrote: »
    Have you seen the doc that was made about him? Its called Soul of America, or something along those lines

No, didn't realise there was a doc on him, must check it out at some stage

Right, gonna kick things off in just a moment...

Again, really great songs in general, so many of the lower ranking songs are still songs I liked, which is generally how it is for all of the categories.

giphy.gif

In 14th place with 13 points is
    Trigger

Scarface - I Seen a Man Die

Great beat and the lyrics are fantastic, they really paint a picture. Wasn't familiar with Scarface before now, so will have to check out more of his stuff. Really solid choice, but like I said, a strong category.

13th and getting 14 points is
    Zaph

John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom

Enjoyed this one a lot. Spent a lot of time in Blues bars when I was over in Chicago a few years ago, and Blues is absolutely phenomenal in a live atmosphere, and you just can't capture that same electricity on a recording, which is a shame, but it's a great track all the same.

15th and getting 12 points is
    RasTa

Scrapper Blackwell - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

Nice and simple, stripped back, just a man and his guitar which I really enjoyed. I'd love to see this performed live in a bar somewhere, as you really just can't beat live Blues, as I mentioned on the previous song.

• Advertisement

In 12th place with 15 points is
    the purple tin

The Staple Singers - Respect Yourself

Not much to say about this one other than it's a solid entry with a good message behind it. Liked the vocals, and the music. Great choice.

16th and getting 11 points is
    phatkev

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - War

I was really excited when I saw there was a Brass band in the mix, but I've probably got a bit of Brass Band Bias, because I absolutely love Rebirth Brass Band from New Orleans, and I was hoping this lot would be as epic as RBB are, but they're just not quite on the same level. Still really enjoyed it though, and I recommend checking out Rebirth Brass Band if you haven't already.

11th and getting 16 points is
    Gru

Usher - Yeah!

This was one that I was not looking forward to - I just remember it as being overplayed to death back towards the end of secondary school and all through college, and I didn't remember it being particularly good, but it's been a good few years since I'd listened to it and despite my reservations it started to bound up the table after each listen until I really loved it. I think I had actually come to associate it with college nights out, subconsciously, so definitely brings back some good memories.

In 17th place with 10 points is
    lassykk

Skunk Anansie - Hedonism

I'd definitely heard it before once or twice, but the only Skunk Anansie song I know particularly well at all is Weak. Really like this one though, and I should probably make more of an effort to listen to more Skunk. Pretty strong category overall here, and some of the other songs just overshadowed it, but a solid entry for sure.

10th and getting 17 points is
    osh

Saul Williams - Twice For The First Time

This is a pretty unique song and definitely stood out with the beatboxing and it being mostly spoken word. I really really liked it.

In 18th place with 9 points is
    fixXxer

Body Count - Cop Killer

It's a great protest song and iconic in so many ways. I've always liked it, and who doesn't love singing along to "F**k The Police" over and over. I thought it would be up a bit higher on the list initially, but just kept getting knocked back a bit unfortunately.

In 9th place with 18 points is
    ShaneU

Barrett Strong - Money (That's What I Want)

Absolute classic. I've always loved this song as it's been a staple of Films and TV Shows over the years, but don't think I ever thought to look it up. This will be added to a lot of my playlists.

19th and getting 8 points is
    cj maxx

Otis Redding - Sitting On The Dock of the Bay

Redding's got a great voice, and it’s a nice mellow tune. It has never really wowed me, but it’s very pleasant and relaxing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,277 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

15th and getting 12 points is
    RasTa

Scrapper Blackwell - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

Nice and simple, stripped back, just a man and his guitar which I really enjoyed. I'd love to see this performed live in a bar somewhere, as you really just can't beat live Blues, as I mentioned on the previous song.

Only ever heard the Clapton Unplugged version before, but I really like this one.

• Advertisement

8th and getting 19 points is
    Irish Aris

Prince - Sign O' The Times

I'd be a bit of a Prince fan which I believe I have mentioned a couple of times throughout various tournaments in fairness, so was a safe bet that this might do pretty well. I think Sign 'O' The Times is a really fitting choice for this category too. Really great pick.

Advertisement