Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - Lassykk - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

OK I have the acoustic versions ranked and I think I will be able to do the reveal this evening around 7.30 - will be a similar approach and typed up in quickfire fashion and then hopefully some discussion afterwards - Does that work for people?

I can do it more slowly during the day tomorrow either if people prefer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Whatever suits you best lassy :D

7.30ish tonight it is so

Will hopefully be able to rank the power ballads tomorrow too.

I haven't even read the entries for round 5 as I want to go in blind as I'd say things will be close at the top

Ready to go with this a little earlier than planned.

Some cracking tracks picked again and found it hard to place some of them near the bottom when I enjoyed them. Probably only the bottom two tracks I didn't enjoy which out of 15 is not bad at all

In 7th place it's Irish Aris with REM - Pop Song 89

I like a bit of REM and I definitely wasn't familiar with this track and whilst I enjoyed it I couldn't score it more highly with the other tracks coming after it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

lassykk wrote: »
    Ready to go with this a little earlier than planned.

Some cracking tracks picked again and found it hard to place some of them near the bottom when I enjoyed them. Probably only the bottom two tracks I didn't enjoy which out of 15 is not bad at all

WeightyInnocentFly-size_restricted.gif

In 8th place it's Sawduck with Take On Me - A-ha

I never expected to hear an acoustic version of this - I love the original and I did enjoy this acoustic version but only enough to finish middle of the road

Next up in 6th place is Andy125 with Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

I lovet the opening riff (correct word I'm not sure?) to this song and an ex-colleague had it as his ringtone for years which is how I discovered the song - An excellent song by a band I have mixed feelings for

In 9th place it's Purple Tin with Johnny Cash - Hurt

I can't believe a Johnny Cash song has slipped into the top 10 but this is a great cover of a brilliant Nine Inch Nails song. I've never been a fan of Johnny Cash but this is a good cover in fairness.

In 5th place it's Tusk with Stonesour - Wicked Game

I absolutely love Stonesour and Corey Taylor and some of his other acoustic versions would have received top marks with no doubt about it but this isn't my favourite track by them - For those not familiar I'd recommend his live show in London - it's quality from start to finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

fixXxer wrote: »
    On my BIRTHDAY WEEK.

You're a MONSTER.

You must have some sort of record now do you?

I took a risk with this one and went for a cover.... now I'm scared with all the big songs dropping :/

In 10th place and able to relax that I liked their nomination is Necro with Jensen Ackles - Simple Man

I love the song Simple Man but I don't think this version is the best one I've heard. I really like the Shinedown version (I know not acoustic but just for comparison)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Next up in 6th place is Andy125 with Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

I lovet the opening riff (correct word I'm not sure?) to this song and an ex-colleague had it as his ringtone for years which is how I discovered the song - An excellent song by a band I have mixed feelings for

Nearly submitted this too

Necro wrote: »
    I took a risk with this one and went for a cover.... now I'm scared with all the big songs dropping :/

In fairness I did enjoy the cover but it was up against some stiff competition

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oooh, didn't know Jensen Ackles could sing and had done a cover of Simple Man (love that song)... Nice one Necro

tusk wrote: »

Cracking song and loved the unplugged version.

Never got into Nirvana as much as I should considering I loved the grunge scene (albeit after it ended) - Maybe I'm too much of a Pearl Jam fan boy to appreciate Nirvana ;)

Oooh, didn't know Jensen Ackles could sing and had done a cover of Simple Man (love that song)... Nice one Necro

I didn't know he wasn't just a singer until just now ;)

In 4th place it's mustang shelly with John Mayer - Free Fallin

I love the original song and this is a good cover by a singer I'm not overly familiar with. His voice grew on me the more I listened to it

I knew his song "Your Body is a Wonderland" but that's about it before now. Might give a few more of his tracks a listen!

I didn't know he wasn't just a singer until just now ;)

He's Dean bloody Winchester from Supernatural one of the greatest TV characters to ever live. Also was in Dark Angel and Smallville back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

tusk wrote: »

Me too, also considered going with Hurt

In 11th place and not much of a birthday present is fixXxer with Rodrigo y Gabriela - One

This is a tricky one to judge as I was actually looking for acoustic versions with vocals and not just purely instrumental but I did hugely admire the quality of the performance here. I also note I didn't specifically state this in the request so apologies for that. If it's any consolation it would have scored highly like Nothing Else Matters did in the instrumental round ;)

Not only can he sing, he's in his own band :D

In 3rd place it's cj maxx Bell X1 - "Eve, The Apple of My Eye"

I'm not all that familiar with Bell X1 but this is a cracking tune and has encouraged me to listen to more of their stuff in the future. Glad to have an unknown track feature so highly in the list

In joint 12th place it's greenspurs and Rothko with Rodrigo & Gabriela - Orion

Similar comments to One this wasn't really what I was looking for but I did think it was a cracking instrumental (I know the original has no lyrics ;) ) - The only song nominated twice in the competition - Scorers lower than One purely because I love the original of One more.

Necro wrote: »
    Not only can he sing, he's in his own band :D

He really is just the perfect man isn't he...

giphy.gif

In second place and keeping up their strong performance is y0ssar1an22 with Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

I'm not that big a Pink Floyd fan but this version and the guitar solos are just out of this world. I actually would be more familiar with Staind's version of this than the original

Tumbling down from 2nd in Instrumental to 14th in Acoustic is Strawberry Milkshake with Johnny Gallagher - oh well

I'm not sure what to say about this song. I don't dislike it but it just wasn't really up there with some of the others that were picked in this round. Never even heard of the artist before but not a bad song by any means

So just ShaneU and Also Starring LeVar Burton left to decide the results of the Acoustic round!

ShaneU has won a round and Also Starring LeVar Burton has come second in a round so it's anybody's game!

• Advertisement

Well in last place is ShaneU with an unfortunate selection of Johnny Cash - I hung my head

As mentioned on my Hurt ranking I'm afraid I'm really not a Johnny Cash fan so this was always going to be a struggle to do well and sadly I just wasn't a fan at all

Advertisement