Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea For a Tournament

Options
  • 03-05-2012 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of running a tournament in the summer (whether it'll be a regular tournament or not, we'll see what happens)

I'm thinking maybe July the 14th from 12-6 (To avoid clashing with Inferno and DoC)

This is a tournament just to promote the lesser played games in the country. I would like to host King of Fighters XIII at this tournament and there is a poll above to check the interest for other games.

Due to KoF's lengthy matches, I was thinking of making it either single elimination best out of 3 or 1 game but double elimination. And the other 2 games would be double elimination as well

This would be held at the XGC and I'll be hoping to run 3 games (KoF and 2 others) at 5 euro each or 10 euro for all 3 games.

Please only vote in the poll if you have a genuine interest in coming to the tournament.

Whilst the main purpose of this tournament is to promote the games that wouldn't get a lot of play or be featured at DoC/Infero, there will be prize money although small, for the top 2 of each game in the 70:30 ratio.

Name is a work in progress

I'm open to suggestions, this is why I started this thread, dates, times, pricing structure, tourney structures, I'm open to all suggestions.

What games would you like to see? 60 votes

Tekken 6
    0% 0 votes
    Mortal Kombat 9
    25% 15 votes
    Soul Calibur V
    16% 10 votes
    SkullGirls
    30% 18 votes
    BlazBlue CS: Extend
    28% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

ill come to xgc that day, to watch and eat my chicken roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Skullgirls better be on, otherwise I'm just gonna go to watch Ladnopoka eat his chicken roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Is there going to be a stream for this chicken roll eating?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you're really interested in running another tournament, how about doing that idea that was kicking around about a monthly DoC, with alternating games every second month, with- and here's the important thing- two different teams of people running it?

Regardless, I'm into a KoF tournament, but I don't do recording in the XGC. Just fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

tekken 6... and chicken rolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

If you're really interested in running another tournament, how about doing that idea that was kicking around about a monthly DoC, with alternating games every second month, with- and here's the important thing- two different teams of people running it?

Regardless, I'm into a KoF tournament, but I don't do recording in the XGC. Just fyi.

We'll see how this one turns out before planning ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

mortal kombat and blue wagon wheels

Serious answer. Good Stuff Gus. This is what DOC was originally. Honestly I don't know if a third tournament is what's needed though. I would say a reworking of the way Inferno and DOC operate would be more beneficial.

Yeah I was wondering what the lineup of games were for DoC (SFxT, Marvel, ?)

With the increase in numbers of FGs being released, was hoping to get exposure for the less popular games.

I wouldn't worry about a presence of a 3rd tournament, this most likely will be a once off but we'll see how it goes on the day

I'm just rambling there Fergus. I've always said if someone wants to run a tournament then go for it and see what happens. I don't worry about the third tournament I'd more wonder if less popular could get a better crack if the tournaments were changed. They could do with it considering how many different games are being played now.

Regards the games I wouldn't consider MK9 and maybe leave off Blazblue as well.

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »

Regards the games I wouldn't consider MK9 and maybe leave off Blazblue as well.

comment-friday-damn.jpg

EDIT:A JOKE^

I was thinking of leaving out MK9 and BB because they seem to have a decent enough scene and play at casuals, but I just included them anyway just to see where the interest lies, going by the poll anyway, the interest seems to lie in the other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Well MK9 has a place at DoC, so I don't see a problem in not having it at this. If the interest is still there, I imagine BB will as well, but that all depends on the people playing it.

Skullgirls deserves it's chance. It's a new game and there are people playing it who I'd imagine are willing to show.

I'd love a Tekken 6 tournament and I know I'm not alone in that.

I originally planned to do KoF/Tekken/SCV but I just stuck up the poll to see the community's interest.

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I originally planned to do KoF/Tekken/SCV but I just stuck up the poll to see the community's interest.

Drop Tekken for Skullgirls and it's perfect. Tekken has had it's chance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

comment-friday-damn.jpg

You know the way when SF was being played everywhere there was a few of us who went out of our way to make sure MK had a chance at a tournament?

You know the way when SF was being played everywhere there was a few of us who went out of our way to make sure MK had a chance at a tournament?

yea im aware and thankful for that,
    it was only a (inside)joke,sorry,my bad

im very happy about how good the DOCs have been to irish mk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Good to see others keeping the community active

I'll be happy to support your tourney endeavours with what small amounts of equipment I have Fergus:)

With all the games on the list I would anticipate MK9 or Skullgirls coming out on top

SCV lads better start voting if you want a tourney!

yea im aware and thankful for that,
    it was only a (inside)joke,sorry,my bad

im very happy about how good the DOCs have been to irish mk

Don't worry about it man. Doom's just a grump :pac:

Orim wrote: »
    Drop Tekken for Skullgirls and it's perfect. Tekken has had it's chance.

yh the old scene didn't have the most people, but there's a few new people who are interested. Me kuro fergus naphiel 2gen. and who knows this might prompt some of the original tekken scene to come out once they see more interest in the game.

• Advertisement

And what about the structure for KoF?

I recalled at DoC that it took up a lot of time and at Test Your Hype a few months back, it took 1-2 hours longer than planned

What's the best approach to go with this, have it as best out of 3 single elimination or go with double elimination (perhaps with 1 game?)

Best of three games is preferably whenever there is an issue with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'd def come down to give KoF some love.

Just off of that list SG and SCV are the ones that haven't already had their chance so I'd lean towards them.

Fergus_ wrote: »
    And what about the structure for KoF?

I recalled at DoC that it took up a lot of time and at Test Your Hype a few months back, it took 1-2 hours longer than planned

What's the best approach to go with this, have it as best out of 3 single elimination or go with double elimination (perhaps with 1 game?)

if we have 6 hours for 3 tourneys im sure kof would be fine with bo3 double elim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I'll gladly come for KOF XIII, for Skullgirls, and to watch Gory watch Ladnopoka eat his chicken roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Skullgirls, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, Melty Blood, Super Turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Oh sure, wait till Sairus leaves the country and then run Skullgirls tournaments.

damn.. he knows x)

Bigger response than I imagined.

As for the console format, would anyone greatly object to having all the games on the Xbox 360?

• Advertisement

Yes, I would object greatly. Should be Super Turbo on arcade cabs.

And if you can't manage that I'm going to make my own tournament. With blackjack and hookers. In fact forget the tournament.

Advertisement