Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea For a Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Good man Fergus, all that study clearly paid off.

As Dan already said this sounds like his Day of Champions: "Classic" or "Original Flavour" which was (if I remember correctly), a bunch of random games each at €1 entry cost, or a €5 for entry into every game there. The winning pot allocation was either as you suggested (70:30) or "Winner gets everything after console rental costs"; but it was more about trying new things than winning money.

Games that were run at this thing were exactly as you're saying, the less popular titles. I can remember SF Ex plus Alpha, Blazblue, Tatsunoko Versus Capcom, Third Strike (Not online edition) Super Turbo, HD Remix, Tekken and many others. Usually it was 4/5 completely different games every tournament.

As a professional pot monster, I'm perfectly happy to enter every game for a €1 each/€5 total, and get completely blown up.

I imagine this is true of most people, especially when we had something like a 25 man Tekken, in which there was not a single actual Tekken player :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'm gonna add in my vote for SCV as well. It would in fact be the only game on the list I'd be interested in actively playing and I'd love to get some proper offline games in it and would be willing to travel for just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Fergus_ wrote: »
    As for the console format, would anyone greatly object to having all the games on the Xbox 360?
    If Tekken is picked, it has a lot of PS3 pad players (one particular name comes to mind) so I think going 360 on Tekken would be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Good man Fergus, all that study clearly paid off.

As Dan already said this sounds like his Day of Champions: "Classic" or "Original Flavour" which was (if I remember correctly), a bunch of random games each at €1 entry cost, or a €5 for entry into every game there. The winning pot allocation was either as you suggested (70:30) or "Winner gets everything after console rental costs"; but it was more about trying new things than winning money.

Games that were run at this thing were exactly as you're saying, the less popular titles. I can remember SF Ex plus Alpha, Blazblue, Tatsunoko Versus Capcom, Third Strike (Not online edition) Super Turbo, HD Remix, Tekken and many others. Usually it was 4/5 completely different games every tournament.

As a professional pot monster, I'm perfectly happy to enter every game for a €1 each/€5 total, and get completely blown up.

I imagine this is true of most people, especially when we had something like a 25 man Tekken, in which there was not a single actual Tekken player :pac:

Yeah, the prize money will be all the money left over after the console rental costs. I haven't decided on how it'll be split among the winners, I dunno what suits best :pac:. Depends on how much money is left anyway, but it's more about promoting the games rather than the cash anyway

I was thinking of having older games like A2/A3, ST and few others but I thought it'd be better to keep it within current gen (Maybe another time)
    Vyze wrote: »
    If Tekken is picked, it has a lot of PS3 pad players (one particular name comes to mind) so I think going 360 on Tekken would be a mistake.

I will keep that in mind if Tekken wins. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

You gotta do the optional install on PS3 though, loading times are a bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fr stack

sup guys i just voted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I was thinking of having older games like A2/A3, ST and few others but I thought it'd be better to keep it within current gen (Maybe another time)

If you're running it, you can do whatever you like :D

I'll show up regardless

Do Smash Bros Melee!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Just noticed this a while ago. Sounds like a fantastic idea, I'd be happy to play any of those games for that price. Bear in mind though, the xgc is pricey when running tournaments...

I got it sorted out

3 setups at 2.50 an hour (I hope) for about 6-7 hours should work out at about 45-50 euros

So at least 10 people who enters 1 game will cover the costs.

If it gets a bit hectic with more people turning up and time constraints, then I'll get another console out but I would prefer to keep it to 3 setups

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You will almost certainly need more than three setups if a decent number of people show up.

• Advertisement

Probably but we'll see on the day

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Probably but we'll see on the day

Not just probably, 3 tournaments on 3 machines- never going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

I'll show up to any Tournament with MK.

Don't see why T6 is there. Don't get me wrong I love the series... but its old as **** and players didn't wanna show up.

I love SC so Id say SCV over T6 until TTT2 hits consoles.

Just picked up SGs last night, pretty fun.
    (Also picked up VF4:E in anticipation for VF5:FS )

Iv never played BB so I can't comment on the game.

I play mostly every thing on pad as my stick is just PS3 also so 360s would be a problem for me :(

You all know what I voted for, hope its there.

All the best,
    RAZER

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I play mostly every thing on pad as my stick is just PS3 also so 360s would be a problem for me :(

Not trying to single you out here, but PS3>360 converters are quite cheap and considering most of our tournaments are held on 360* it makes sense for PS3 pad players to buy converters if you're going to tournaments.

*MK isn't for DLC reasons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Also the courtesy considering most of the stick players on our scene go out of the way to dual mod (which is more expensive and difficult than simply buying a wee converter).

Not just probably, 3 tournaments on 3 machines- never going to work.

I was only expecting about 10 or slightly more people to attend as I assumed there wasn't gonna be much interest in this so I went with 3 in the start but I guess you're right, will have to do more setups

I forgot to set a closing date on the poll

I'll stop the poll on Monday the 7th, and top 2 games will be the other 2 games at the tourney.

If you want your game to be at it, get voting!

Ok, the results are in (:pac:)

KoF, SCV and Skullgirls will be at the tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Cool, i cant wait to show up and play SF4 casuals at your tourney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Cool, i cant wait to show up and play SF4 casuals at your tourney.

I vote such action punishable by lvl3 Peacock sack-beating. :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't mind casuals at the tournament, y'all can go on the other side or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I don't mind casuals at the tournament, y'all can go on the other side or something

With respect, Fergus, IIRC, there was a bit of a sh!tstorm last year when people played SF4 casuals at the same time an MK9 tourney was being held. I would frown upon it if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

to
    With respect, Fergus, IIRC, there was a bit of a sh!tstorm last year when people played SF4 casuals at the same time an MK9 tourney was being held. I would frown upon it if I were you.

Stevo: I'm gonna play AE 2012 at the event because thats all I play

Tourney attendees: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU MONSTER RESPECT!!!!:mad:

I'm sure hes only messing cause I done that last year too

Even if hes not, People have to stop been **g*** and just have fun, thats what it's all about

Gonna enter all these tourneys and see how far I get

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Well, i know myself, Philipino Bob and bigstupidguy would be interested in playing T6.
    Could get a few more if things are decided early and people can book off work etc.

360 or PS is fine, so long as i can borrow someones stick on the day! :)

Well, i know myself, Philipino Bob and bigstupidguy would be interested in playing T6.
    Could get a few more if things are decided early and people can book off work etc.

360 or PS is fine, so long as i can borrow someones stick on the day! :)

Ah sorry to break it to you :(

Tekken 6 won't be at this, the games are KoFXIII/SCV/SkullGirls

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭trecs

Ah sorry to break it to you :(

Tekken 6 won't be at this, the games are KoFXIII/SCV/SkullGirls

ouch .. too bad, i hope that the tekken would somehow make it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

What time should i show up for SF4 casuals

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What time should i show up for SF4 casuals
    Show up whenever you want, Lonely McLonerton.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

hey stev0 ill come to that too

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I forgot.

Does anyone use any of the DLC characters for KoF? If you do, please bring in a USB stick with them on it, and could anyone with KoF bring in a save on a stick for Saiki/Billy

Same goes for SCV unlockable characters

Advertisement