Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC's mobile offering

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

beauf wrote: »
    I wonder will they change their pricing mid contact like they do with their TV/BB pricing.

If they do, then they have broken the contract and you are free to leave for another operator, just like when they change the pricing of their TV/BB products.

Usually this sort of thing can end up quiet good for the vigilant consumer.

Of course that would be a non issue with pay as you go and 30 day rolling contracts.

To be honest I wouldn't be too worried about this in relation to their mobile products. They are a new entrant to this market and if they hope to gain any market share they need to be aggressive and competitive to prove themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Got a phone call from my operator,three,today about an upgrade.I told them about the email I got from upc,straight away they offered me the next two months free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Got a phone call from my operator,three,today about an upgrade.I told them about the email I got from upc,straight away they offered me the next two months free!

That seems to be their default response if you say you're leaving/want to switch to a cheaper plan. I rang up when I heard they were upping the €20 sim only plan to €25 and they gave me the same. Going to ring up in a few days and switch back to payg. Might try out iD or upc when they launch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Does anyone know if they're offering handsets? Out of contract with 3 and they're hammering my door down with a fairly good upgrade offer however the price plan can't compete with UPC. Running an iPhone 5 so could do with a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Rosser wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they're offering handsets? Out of contract with 3 and they're hammering my door down with a fairly good upgrade offer however the price plan can't compete with UPC. Running an iPhone 5 so could do with a change.

Handsets don't come with 'sim only 'contracts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

D'oh! You're right of course, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭cullow123

I got the UPC sim card delivered by DPD this morning, I have to get my phone unlocked so I can use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rosser wrote: »

Why change your phone ?? Just get it unlocked and your sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What deals are UPC offering? Or what's there website?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What deals are UPC offering? Or what's there website?

At the minute it's just some selected customers been offered this deal

D3B1D870-C444-49CB-95AD-1C639EFDB53B_zpsolahjcc4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone have any idea when this may be officially launched? How did those who were able to sign up for the €15 per month deal first hear they were eligible? Is your €15 being added to your regular bill and have you been offered any "bundle" incentives?

cormie wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when this may be officially launched? How did those who were able to sign up for the €15 per month deal first hear they were eligible? Is your €15 being added to your regular bill and have you been offered any "bundle" incentives?

Launch date is late October, UPC have sent out emails to random customers, there is no way to request to go on to this plan, you need to have been sent an email inviting you to take up their offer. Your other question regarding the bundling with existing services, unfortunately I can't answer that as I haven't been contacted in relation to the mobile offering as of yet, here's hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

It'd be a no-brainer for me if it was a bundle deal. However as a TescoMobile €15 pm customer where €5 clubcard tokens = €15 with TescoMobile I'm not thinking of budging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Seapoint wrote: »
    It'd be a no-brainer for me if it was a bundle deal. However as a TescoMobile €15 pm customer where €5 clubcard tokens = €15 with TescoMobile I'm not thinking of budging.

But it does come with unlimited data and texts as well - depending on what they define as 'unlimited'! I also suspect that it will get bumped up to around €25 after the promotional period ends.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kn wrote: »
    But it does come with unlimited data and texts as well - depending on what they define as 'unlimited'! I also suspect that it will get bumped up to around €25 after the promotional period ends.

Well his TescoMobile plan also includes unlimited texts.

Not data obviously, but then you have to consider your actual mobile data usage. Obviously to a heavy mobile data user then the UPC mobile plan is fantastic.

But if you are a light user (say you have free wifi at home/work/school) so don't actually use data much, then unlimited data isn't important.

I'm struggling with the same decision myself, it looks like a great deal, but the reality is I use less then 500MB per month due to free wifi and Tesco only ends up costing me about €7 per month due to Tesco clubcard points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd be the same I use GB's on Wifi but under 100MB on mobile data.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

I get to keep my €15 credit with TescoMobile to spend on an add on. So, for €10 I get 5GB Data, and you have webtexts also ~ 200 or so free so there's €5 left to build up every month for incidentals. I send 2 or three texts a month. I'd say this is the way the developing world is going. As for Data? I'm rarely out of coverage of either my own or a known WiFi hotspot which always leaves the mobile data sppeds for dust anyhow. so.... no brainer.

bk wrote: »
    Well his TescoMobile plan also includes unlimited texts.

Not data obviously, but then you have to consider your actual mobile data usage. Obviously to a heavy mobile data user then the UPC mobile plan is fantastic.

But if you are a light user (say you have free wifi at home/work/school) so don't actually use data much, then unlimited data isn't important.

I'm struggling with the same decision myself, it looks like a great deal, but the reality is I use less then 500MB per month due to free wifi and Tesco only ends up costing me about €7 per month due to Tesco clubcard points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Looks like this will now be rebranded as Virgin media mobile.

T-Bird wrote: »
    Looks like this will now be rebranded as Virgin media mobile.

Well the calls from the customer service department for this UPC mobile offering are coming from a 0044 number, so I wonder are Virgin media in the UK offering them support while they get it off the ground here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

To answer a question above, it is not bundled with your existing UPC Bill. You are billed separately for mobile. Also, at least for this trial period, a limit of two mobiles allowed, which I gladly took. Getting better for 15 Euro than I was for 20 ( recently increased to 25 ! ) with Three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

• Registered Users Posts: 12 owen09

Yeh upc are being rebranded as Virgin media so the network will run through them and off the three network, so it make take some time for 4G offer but it will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bromley52 wrote: »

i wonder does this open the door for kryptview and the likes!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i wonder does this open the door for kryptview and the likes!

no it's just a name change afterall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Probably accompanied by a price hike of 15% as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

I finally got the call today and sim is on the way. I need to decide now whether Tesco is a better deal or not as I don't imagine a huge amount of data use, which is still 3G only for time being

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What is UPC's deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Is it sim only or do they offer handsets? Need a new phone and out of contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Their deals aren't yet out to the public as far as I know..

This is from the order confirmation. They make a BIG deal of how I was selected as a valued UPC customer, and that it's not available other to those specifically invited, though I don't know how true that really is.
    They called me yesterday afternoon, and the sim came by courier today

Your Mobile Price Plan and Billing information:
    Your order includes:

Offer: Voice and Data IE
    Plan: UPC Mobile Loyalty
    It contains:
    UPC Mobile Loyalty - Voice Unlimited
    UPC Mobile Loyalty - Text Unlimited
    UPC Mobile Loyalty - Data Unlimited
    Your discount is called: €15 Off MRC until October 18th 2015
    It includes: €15 off until October 18th 2015

The total price of your subscription is €0 per month, including your discount. Once your discount period ends on October 18th 2015 your subscription price per month will change to €15. All prices shown are inclusive of VAT.
    For any usage outside of your Mobile Price Plan (outlined above) you will be charged at the rates which can be found online. This can include national, international, roaming calls, texts and data. More information.
    http://www.upc.ie/content/dam/www-upc-ie/pdf/callrates/standard_upc_mobile_rates.pdf

• Advertisement

A friend of mine has been using UPC mobile for about 4 weeks now, he's had a few problems on and off at the start with no signal and the network been down on a few occasions, he's in Waterford City, oh and he hasn't got any 4G despite Waterford City having decent 4G coverage from Three.

They specifically told me that 4G is not yet enabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

ID mobile are the only vmno that are on 4g with 3 so far. hopefully the rest will follow soon.

Advertisement