Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC's mobile offering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Parawind wrote: »
    I guess it depends how you read it. But I interpreted the line below to mean that you would be tied down for a year.

Its a 30 day rolling contract so you have no ties and can cancel at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I think Parawind has a point here. Any time I have changed the slightest thing with my UPC package I have been tied into a new 12 month contract. Their mobile offering might be a rolling 30 day contract that can be cancelled at any time, but if you take them up on the offer they might reset the clock on your existing contract for the rest of your services. They might not, but it is definitely a fair point and something that you should check out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

frash wrote: »
    That's not a link - it's a screenshot
    I was wondering if there was a link for trying to sign-up as I can't find one & one hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Apt username btw

I know its obviously a screenshot. What I meant was only the people who received the email are eligible so what use is a link going to be to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭the_freaky_one

UPC Mobile using their Horizon WiFree networks to offload data? Possibly.

But probably not.

Was thinking that myself considering the amount of WiFree networks available to them. Don't think any network in Ireland has used Wifi Offload as of yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Four pages and over 50 posts without any sign of bargain for general people? :eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

i just moved to eircom eMobile Business Unlimited for €20/month + VAT: https://business.eircom.net/product/small-business-plans/sim-plans/
    • Unlimited calls to Irish mobiles and Irish landlines (Fair Usage is 45,000 minutes per month)
    • Unlimited text messages to Irish mobiles (Fair Usage is 10,000 text messages per month)
    • 15GB data bundle while in Ireland
    • 1500 minutes to UK mobiles and UK landlines
    • 1500 text messages to UK Mobiles
    • 1500 roaming minutes to mobiles and landlines while in the UK, EU countries and the USA
    • 1500 roaming text messages while in the UK, EU countries and the USA
    • 250MB roaming data bundle while in the UK, EU countries and the USA
    • Free 4G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i just moved to eircom eMobile Business Unlimited for €20/month + VAT: https://business.eircom.net/product/small-business-plans/sim-plans/
    • Unlimited calls to Irish mobiles and Irish landlines (Fair Usage is 45,000 minutes per month)
    • Unlimited text messages to Irish mobiles (Fair Usage is 10,000 text messages per month)
    • 15GB data bundle while in Ireland
    • 1500 minutes to UK mobiles and UK landlines
    • 1500 text messages to UK Mobiles
    • 1500 roaming minutes to mobiles and landlines while in the UK, EU countries and the USA
    • 1500 roaming text messages while in the UK, EU countries and the USA
    • 250MB roaming data bundle while in the UK, EU countries and the USA
    • Free 4G

Brilliant. But isn't this only for people who have a business?ie emobile business customers

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm with eMobile and their coverage seems to be on the decline for the last few months. It's a great offer, but just be aware that in order to use the roaming bundle, you need to use a partner network, which are few and normally one of the weaker signal networks.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Brilliant. But isn't this only for people who have a business?ie emobile business customers

Yes, they ask for VAT number, letter from accountant or revenue stating you're self employed or a business...

I'm self employed but didn't have VAT number, an accountant or letter from revenue so instead I sent them an income tax registration letter from revenue which they accepted...

Technically, you can be self employed whilst also a regular PAYE worker... you just have to do a tax return every year (which would be simple if your income / expenditure is nil in self-employment..).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Yes, they ask for VAT number, letter from accountant or revenue stating you're self employed or a business...

I'm self employed but didn't have VAT number, an accountant or letter from revenue so instead I sent them an income tax registration letter from revenue which they accepted...

Technically, you can be self employed whilst also a regular PAYE worker... you just have to do a tax return every year (which would be simple if your income / expenditure is nil in self-employment..).

It's no good for the average joe like myself so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

We've been on a similar plan for years and not had problem with coverage or roaming coverage. Staff travel a lot globally and not had many complaints (exception for China)
    Not sure what you mean by partner networks - don't all providers use partner networks? Your phone should pick up the best network anyway.
    I would definitely recommend them to others.

Edit: I wish they would offer a data roaming bundle though. 250mb isn't really a lot.
    antodeco wrote: »
    I'm with eMobile and their coverage seems to be on the decline for the last few months. It's a great offer, but just be aware that in order to use the roaming bundle, you need to use a partner network, which are few and normally one of the weaker signal networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

califano wrote: »
    30GB is very good but I wonder if and how much the 3 network data might be throttled to. I remember before i couldnt live stream on their 3G so switched network.
    Currently whats the approx speedtest for the 3 network?

califano how did you find out that it is limited to 30GB?
    Also does anyone know what the FUP is for minutes and texts?
    What happens if you go over these?
    Are you charged or throttled?
    Is there a daily FUP?

There is very little information about this package, fair enough it is only new but anyone signing up to this should be asking the above questions, this is after all UPC your dealing with.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Automan wrote: »
    califano how did you find out that it is limited to 30GB?
    Also does anyone know what the FUP is for minutes and texts?
    What happens if you go over these?
    Are you charged or throttled?
    Is there a daily FUP?

There is very little information about this package, fair enough it is only new but anyone signing up to this should be asking the above questions, this is after all UPC your dealing with.

Taken from the sign up link, as it's not my email, I'm not prepared to give out the link to the sign up page as each link seems to be linked to account of the person who got the mail

88E98738-12CB-4769-86B6-1EEB93C80745.png_zpsfblgd8oc.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I will be interested in UPC mobile when it is bundle with Television and internet, even if they insist on throwing home phone into the mix. Like others have said, with wifi, i use hardly any data, and don't make a massive amount of mobile calls. so this one won't win me over.
    Wifi at home with UPC, wifi in the parents place, wifi on the bus, train, pretty much every bar, friends houses I spend time in. Only time I am not connected to wifi I am walking down the street or on a plane. Make some of my calls on my home phones seems as I have it, but skype alot and use mobile when out and about.
    Mostly use the same apps my phone everyday. I leave my youtube till I am home, watching a music video on a 5" screen doesn't cut it for me, but works okay for a game of angry birds or game of war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

I'm with eMobile and their coverage seems to be on t.................. but just be aware that in order to use the roaming bundle, you need to use a partner network, which are few and normally one of the weaker signal networks.

Reference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Looks like a very good deal for people who use lots of mobile data.

But I don't think it is for me as I use less then 1GB per month as I use wifi at both home and work.

Yes I'm on the €15 per month Tesco Mobile plan, which is the same cost for less. However this ignores one thing, you can use Tesco Clubcard points at a value of €5 worth of points equals €15 credit. That effectively means I get Tesco Mobile for free every 2nd month or so, which effectively makes the cost of this great Tesco plan to be about €7.50 per month.

Great to have another option.

That eMboile plan looks very interesting to a person like me who travels a lot. Pity it is limited to business only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'm with eMobile nearly two years and I have no issues with their coverage or general performance. It's way better than most TBH....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

bk wrote: »
    That eMboile plan looks very interesting to a person like me who travels a lot. Pity it is limited to business only.

It does look very good indeed but in order to qualify for that with eMobile, I wonder do you have to sign up for a business landline package as well?

It does look very good indeed but in order to qualify for that with eMobile, I wonder do you have to sign up for a business landline package as well?

nope, I've got no other eircom products / services... just that eMobile plan...

I've been with eMobile since they launched in 2010. In my opinion, the coverage has dropped. In fact, if you go to their talk forums, you can see there is a general issue (especially when it comes to data speeds).

In relation to the agreed partners, this is what I was advised from eMobile. Speaking from experience, I've never had any issues in Europe. Further afield (Asia and the Americas) it was hit and miss.

But anyway, this thread is about UPC, not eMobile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is great to see new competitors come to the market and introduce more competition.

But they all seem to just be doing the same old thing and really nothing different then what the other ultra competitive companies (48months, Tesco Mobile) already offer.

Yet I think there is a big under-serviced part of the market just waiting to be targeted.

I'm talking about very light users, people who just make the odd call and text every month. People like my elderly parents. They don't spend enough to warrant a monthly contract for even €10 from any of these companies, so instead they just top-up when they need and pay full price for calls and texts!

No product targets these. The out of plan costs for calls and texts is ridiculously expensive. In the UK, Three does have a good plan that targets this, their 3,2,1 plan. It requires no monthly top-up and just gives you calls for 3p per minute, texts for 2p per minute and data for 1p per mb. A very good plan for light users. But unfortunately Three Ireland and no other company offers anytthing like this in Ireland.

In fact no company offers any good rates for out of plan calls and texts, I think it is a massive gap in the market for some company to exploit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

How much would it cost to start up an MVNO like 48? Out of interest. You make some very good points bk!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

folk who signed up with Horizon (the latest TV platform they are pushing on everyone) during the trial period got a discounted price too.

Some time after launch they did the maths and realised that they weren't charging enough and whacked up the price. They claimed it was because of HD or something but Horizon's initial selling point was all the HD content that came as default...

So it was all FUD...

Will expect the same with this mobile offering. Worth it while it's been offered at a heavily discounted price (and IF they provide support / communication to people trialling it).

If you don't mind paying for a non-fully-qualified service go for it... But don't expect to be treated as a valued tester. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

They should be slapped on the wrist for stating "Unlimited" just had a look at the entire price list and i dont like em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

jimmynokia wrote: »
    ... just had a look at the entire price list and i dont like em

:confused: ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

donal.hunt wrote: »
    If you don't mind paying for a non-fully-qualified service go for it... But don't expect to be treated as a valued tester. :/

You're not paying though, it's free til October.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

bk wrote:
    No product targets these. The out of plan costs for calls and texts is ridiculously expensive. In the UK, Three does have a good plan that targets this, their 3,2,1 plan. It requires no monthly top-up and just gives you calls for 3p per minute, texts for 2p per minute and data for 1p per mb. A very good plan for light users. But unfortunately Three Ireland and no other company offers anytthing like this in Ireland.

I see two major problems with this.

1. Older customers are usually slowest to change.
    2. Ireland is a lot smaller than the UK so the target market would be a lot smaller and probably unfeasible.

I see two major problems with this.

1. Older customers are usually slowest to change.
    2. Ireland is a lot smaller than the UK so the target market would be a lot smaller and probably unfeasible.

MVNO's are incredibly small anyway.

Just look at post mobile, how ridiculously small are they? Have you even heard of them? They offer nothing that others don't offer cheaper and better. Wouldn't it be better if they offered something unique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

MVNO's are incredibly small anyway.

Just look at post mobile, how ridiculously small are they? Have you even heard of them? They offer nothing that others don't offer cheaper and better. Wouldn't it be better if they offered something unique?

What maybe better for customers only comes into play when MNO's/MVNO's can make money from it.
    If you look at all the offerings from vendors, it becomes apparent that services are designed around fitting into price points.For example, I can only think, off the top of my head, of two offerings that are really below €20, the Tesco mobile €15 top up and the 48 €10.

So really MNO/MVNO's only become interested in getting a steady €20 or more PM revenue stream, and even then they know customers are flighty and will go elsewhere if one of their hot buttons are pushed, ie more data,more free calls or more free texts.
    Operators aren't interested in itty bitty topups for a market(old people) thats declining, infact the problem for many MNO's at the moment is declining revenue in their existing streams due to OTT services like Viber, whatsapp and FB messenger.

Bear in mind that servicing a €5 per month plan(were it available) would be the same as a €20 plan for much less return, and it becomes clearer.

If you speak to anyone in any of the MNO's about prepaid, then they're as much interested as I am about rare breeds of Mongolian cow.

As for MVNO's, Many organisations in both retail and Telecoms have looked at getting into the market in the last few years, and decided against it because the margins are too slim and the market is too small.

Post mobile is a case in point, on paper it looked great, all these post offices all over the Country with old biddies using them primarily, but it turns out BIddy won't switch coz shes been on Eircell since 1998 and everyone has her number and she doesnt understand what porting is and if she did, sure the devil you know etc, and anyway hasn't she free calls to maggie from the Bingo? and .......yes she would lose that...and thats a deal breaker.

Remember also that Tesco got in the market in 2005, and it took them 8 years to get to the 200,000 subscriber mark. Even that figure is questionable since the bulk of their SIMs are prepaid, I actually have a couple and haven't used either in over a year. And they've actually ploughed some money into being a relatively full fat MVNO, investing in their own HLR etc through LiffyTelecom.As well as which, their offerings are fairly competitive and they have certain stickability with their club card.

As for UPC, they've cottoned on that may people like one bill for a whole range of services, and for them getting €90/95 from a customer is better than getting €75, and because of the EU agreement to allow 3 buy 02, they're getting cheap as chips access to the combined network and they can squeeze a few euros extra profit out of a customer, while keeping the capital cost relatively the same.

Many ideas that seem great on paper, don't add up to much in the real world.

Heraldoffreeent, I of course agree with much of what you say.

But, in the UK, Three, a MNO, does have such a product (3,2,1 plan), so clearly they can make money on it there, so I see no reason why the same wouldn't work here.

Here the MNO's also had no interest in offering unlimited calls, texts and data plans until Three (pre o2 purchase) and the MVNO's started offering it and now all the slow, uncompetitive MNO's are scrambling to try and offer the same.

We now have a whole bunch of MVNO's (Tesco Mobile, 48, ID, UPC, Post Mobile) and Metor/eMbolile all offering roughly the same thing. I'm not sure there is much benefit in that. ID's and Post Mobiles products look particularly irrelevant compared to what is already available.

I think one of them (probably Post Mobile would be best placed) or maybe Meteor/eMobile would benefit greatly in breaking out and doing something completely different and targeting a large, untapped market.

I mention Meteor/eMobile above because until Three bought o2 they were the smallest network and underdog and they had to be innovative in order to grow. But now Meteor is by far the smallest network and increasingly looking pretty irrelevant in the market. I think they badly need to innovate, do something new and be more competitive if they want to remain relevant. In particular I think UPC Mobile will end up being a very significant threat to Meteor if they aren't careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

I think a good straight forward plan could be a winner.

A lot of people who don't use what they are paying for.

My dad used get texts and data with Vodafone PAYG that he never used.

He is now with Meteors 10 euro plan for voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Heraldoffreeent, I of course agree with much of what you say.

But, in the UK, Three, a MNO, does have such a product (3,2,1 plan), so clearly they can make money on it there, so I see no reason why the same wouldn't work here.

Here the MNO's also had no interest in offering unlimited calls, texts and data plans until Three (pre o2 purchase) and the MVNO's started offering it and now all the slow, uncompetitive MNO's are scrambling to try and offer the same.

We now have a whole bunch of MVNO's (Tesco Mobile, 48, ID, UPC, Post Mobile) and Metor/eMbolile all offering roughly the same thing. I'm not sure there is much benefit in that. ID's and Post Mobiles products look particularly irrelevant compared to what is already available.

I think one of them (probably Post Mobile would be best placed) or maybe Meteor/eMobile would benefit greatly in breaking out and doing something completely different and targeting a large, untapped market.

I mention Meteor/eMobile above because until Three bought o2 they were the smallest network and underdog and they had to be innovative in order to grow. But now Meteor is by far the smallest network and increasingly looking pretty irrelevant in the market. I think they badly need to innovate, do something new and be more competitive if they want to remain relevant. In particular I think UPC Mobile will end up being a very significant threat to Meteor if they aren't careful.
    While I take your point re 321, having just looked at it there, its a plan which requires a 30 day top up to keep it live and there are two options, the minimum top up is £10/€14.30 or the higher £15/€21.44. Now while that may make sense for some people, a €20 topup with 3 will give the same punter free calls and texts to about 40% of the population 24/7, and free calls and texts to all mobiles at the weekend for not much more than the UK 321.

With a population of approx 65 million, achieving market penetration of only 1% there would result in 65,000 subscribers which relative to Tesco here is doable. However that same percentage here would result in about 4,800 customers.Even doubling or trebling that number doesnt amount to much worth breaking a sweat over for an operator. Blueface mobile had targeted 10,000 users at their inception to wash their face, and their ARPU's would be many multiples of the above per month.

Operators are interested in growing segments or in expanding existing offerings at a higher charge, not developing a segment that has a declining head count and where the premise is to reduce the customers ARPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

1% would achieve 650,000 subscribers!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

I just got an invite for this mobile offer too;-)

My only special relationship with UPC is that I signed up for a new 12 mth contract at 50% off for 9 mths the other day, so looks like they are rolling out fairly widely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

bromley52 wrote: »

Off topic but how in the name of anything sacred are these numbers still commanding such a premium ? (Taken from UPCs 'other rates' list )

Call Save 1850 - 30c per minute
    Low Call 1890 - 25c per minute

All calls made using an international prefix,
    including calls to Northern Ireland, are classed as international calls

Does that mean if I have someone saved in my phone as +35386YYYYYYY then its classed as an international call? Im assuming not, but the wording does say "using an international prefix" which +353 is...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭breeno

Data roaming rates are a disgrace too. 24c per mb in Europe or €7 per mb outside of Europe. Vodafone gave me 500mb per day for 3 quid a day for a recent trip to holland and I used around 80 mb in one day on a road trip. That would have cost 20 quid with this offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Saw some more people in work getting invites and decided to check my mail - nothing from UPC for months

Logged in to myupc and somehow they'd changed the .tld on my email from .com to .ie - how the hell that happened is beyond me.
    Does that mean if I have someone saved in my phone as +35386YYYYYYY then its classed as an international call? Im assuming not, but the wording does say "using an international prefix" which +353 is...?

I assume they mean using 004428 instead of 048 for NI landlines.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Off topic but how in the name of anything sacred are these numbers still commanding such a premium ? (Taken from UPCs 'other rates' list )

I wonder should that call save rate be 30c per call rather than per minute, that would be similar to what all other providers charge for those type of calls

As far as I'm aware, +353 wouldn't be regarded as an international rate once you are within the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Absolutely not, as long as you are ringing them while you are here. Every contact I have is saved with the +353 prefix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Well i called a 1890 number recently with vodafone bill pay and was on for around 10 mins and it costed me over 3 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

25c/minute to call UK landlines compared to 1c with TM for UK and a lot of other destinations. The promotional rate looks as if it is with a view to testing the network and certainly will not be €15/month long-term but anyone who needs a substantial wifi connection should go with it for the 30GB data allowance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

kn wrote: »
    25c/minute to call UK landlines compared to 1c with TM for UK and a lot of other destinations. The promotional rate looks as if it is with a view to testing the network and certainly will not be €15/month long-term but anyone who needs a substantial wifi connection should go with it for the 30GB data allowance!

A lot of UPC customers will have massive call allowances to the UK via their home phone package.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dodzy wrote: »

Way off topic but it's not a UPC specific thing.

These "LoCall" numbers are probably only cheaper for people on Eircom landlines that don't have bundled minutes. Since Eircom aren't the only ones offering landlines and there are nearly three times as many mobiles as land lines for the vast majority the cheapest option is to find a local or national number instead.

http://www.saynoto1890.com for cheaper alternatives to "LoCall"

General tip , sales numbers tend to be cheaper, ring up and get transferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Got the email from them today. I think I will be going with it,I am currently with three and paying €25 a month for more or less the same deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Has anyone who got the invite and registered heard back from UPC yet? Should be expecting a call before it progresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

I got the offer yesterday.

They ask for your UPC customer number and say "we'll contact you in a few weeks"

I'm on the all-data offfer from three for €25. It has 350 mins of calls or 700 SMSs, which I never get near using, so it's functionally unlimited calls and texts.

Offer was free until september, then €15 until October 2016.

So, even if it goes to €20 in 2016 and €25 in 2017, I'm still winning, as I'm paying €25 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I wonder will they change their pricing mid contact like they do with their TV/BB pricing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement