Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Necro wrote: »
    Ah so forcing castration on bulls and keeping them apart is now going to be the way forward.

Nah I'll just keep eating meat thanks.

Do you really not understand this simple concept?
    Who said anything about forcing castration. Is that where your thoughts go to straight away? You think you're helping cattle by eating meat? You're a martyr.
    Do you think bulls and cows are just roaming around breeding naturally at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If people think putting millions of years worth of carbon into our atmosphere over the course of a few hundred years isn't effecting our planet then you really are thick.

Its not that there's sudden hysteria.... Its that we have already gone beyond the breaking point, and we should be in fire fighting mode now to try to prevent worsening future catastrophies.

...but then again, see my previous post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

the absolute arrogance of climate change advocates is vomit inducing.
    as pbh said on liveline the debate is over on a debate show!

im sick of virtue signalling fools like varakar on about not eating meat

im sick of being talked to by idiot soyboy pink chino pants wearing Muppets that im the reason the planet is doomed

the idiots are the people that cannot see its being used for

demographic future votes from immigrants

a multi billion per year industry

a section of loons who want man to die as the earth is better without us.

sick of carbon tax.

also the millions that will die in third world, how are they faring now as fossil fuels is their main source hows it working out for them with taxes on fossil fuels???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^^

You might want to edit that so people can figure out what exactly you are trying to say.
    The bit out idiots being used for future votes from immigrants being a multi-billion a year industry reads like Alex Jones stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

im sick of being talked to by idiot soyboy pink chino pants wearing Muppets that im the reason the planet is doomed

sick of carbon tax.

also the millions that will die in third world, how are they faring now as fossil fuels is their main source hows it working out for them with taxes on fossil fuels???

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

...but then again, see my previous post :)

Co2 is measurable.

Co2 didn't cause the previous climate events..... As shown by scientific measurement.

Co2 is causing this one.... At Alarming rates.

Its irrefutable. If you think otherwise you simply are incorrect.

This isn't a case of trumps "my facts are different from yours"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

cheap shots why i never bother much in here. people are seeing through the lies from ye though. im done here enjoy your circlejerk soyfest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

sick of carbon tax.

Jesus, scary how deluded some people are. Much more people in the third world will die if we continue this lifestyle and their farmlands and cities are flooded and swamped by rising sea levels and dangerous hurricanes and typhoons

Anyway, you just dont want to feel any guilt for continuing a lifestyle of comfort, fine, but thats what it comes down to really, you think all the students protesting worldwide is something to do with immigrants or taxes or votes or whatever tf bs you are on about, its not, some people are just capable of caring about things bigger than themselves

The blind ignorance of those criticising people trying to help the planet is much more vomit inducing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's amazing how enraged people get at the suggestion that they might have to change their behaviour a little bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It's amazing how enraged people get at the suggestion that they might have to change their behaviour a little bit

Yeh sadly, shows how hard itll be to make any impact on the damage we have done to the earth. The only way to make any significant changes will be force people unfortunately, through carbon taxes, banning car travel in cities, etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hm
    Think it is interesting that some of the more qualified Boardsies in a position to discuss the environment aren't stepping in to this thread.

To the poster who thinks climate change is nonsense and equates the work of some Phd's he knows as the same as toilet paper, just because you don't understand something, doesn't invalidate it. Same goes for info on climate change.

sick of carbon tax.

cheap shots why i never bother much in here. people are seeing through the lies from ye though. im done here enjoy your circlejerk soyfest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh sadly, shows how hard itll be to make any impact on the damage we have done to the earth. The only way to make any significant changes will be force people unfortunately, through carbon taxes, banning car travel in cities, etc

We can change everything you want. It won’t make a blind bit if difference. We can be taxed to the eyeballs. Won’t make a blind bit of difference.

Why? Because it’s not up to us. Whatever we change. There will be 100 that won’t.

What needs to change is the governments and the companies that produce the pollution and waist. The companies that package everything in plastic whether it needs it or not. All the waisted food that goes on.

Like I said before. I don’t need to change anything. Maybe the rich and powerful can do without 10 houses that need heating/cooling. There jets everywhere. The 50 car garage.

Climate change is just another excuse the rich and powerful have come up with to keep the rest of us down. Because if they really cared they would all vow to only own one house and one car and take less trips with jets and consume less. But they don’t. And they won’t. And it’s them that create more pollution and conduct more power than any 100 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

mad muffin wrote: »
    We can change everything you want. It won’t make a blind bit if difference. We can be taxed to the eyeballs. Won’t make a blind bit of difference.

Why? Because it’s not up to us. Whatever we change. There will be 100 that won’t.

What needs to change is the governments and the companies that produce the pollution and waist. The companies that package everything in plastic whether it needs it or not. All the waisted food that goes on.

Like I said before. I don’t need to change anything. Maybe the rich and powerful can do without 10 houses that need heating/cooling. There jets everywhere. The 50 car garage.

Climate change is just another excuse the rich and powerful have come up with to keep the rest of us down. Because if they really cared they would all vow to only own one house and one car and take less trips with jets and consume less. But they don’t. And they won’t. And it’s them that create more pollution and conduct more power than any 100 of us.

I agree with you completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

^^^^

You might want to edit that so people can figure out what exactly you are trying to say.
    The bit out idiots being used for future votes from immigrants being a multi-billion a year industry reads like Alex Jones stuff.

I suspect it is far better being left alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Climate change is the new housing crisis plenty of people will do well out of it including the government.The reason you hear so much about it recently is just to soften you up before the next budget when the will increase taxes on everything and try and tell us it is for our own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hgfj wrote: »

This morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

wakka12 wrote: »

Not everybody lives in cities where the have buses/luas/dart/taxis and a gas connection outside their door.
    I live in the country and need a car and burn coal/timber because i can't get gas.So you think carbon taxes are a good idea because you live in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I am not denying that global temperatures are increasing, or that ice caps aren't melting, or sea levels not rising etc. (although I am skeptical of how significant the role humans played in all of this). But why all the deranged hysteria all of a sudden?

There is NO NEED for deranged hysteria, you need to lighten up a little. Loosen your neckpiece, take a deep breath, now breath out slowly. Doesn’t that feel better!

Now that you’re relaxed, take your time to review all the latest evidence on climate change. Don’t worry that you are skeptical that it is all our fault that we are on the brink of a disaster. We all struggle to admit that we have sleepwalked into this - leaving a horrendous struggle for our children. But, DON’T GET HYSTERICAL, we adults need to keep calm. We know our children are freaking out, let’s support them, as they fight for their future.

I'm a fifth generation farmer I know a lot about the land and the weather

Well, farmers are in for a rude awakening. Beef production will be decimated, its only a matter of time. The signs are hopeful that Leo will tackle it. If not, the EU will have to - it is simply too damaging to the environment.

The big challenge for farmers will be to come up with planet friendly crops, before they’re all reduced to growing trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Was I in a coma when all this damning evidence came to light? The world feels the same to me as it did back in the 90s.

Agree to some extent with the OP, we had snowy winters, hot summers and wet summers and so on back in the 70s &80s. I don't Irish weather has changed that much in my lifetime, though it could if the predominantly westerly source of our moist and relatively warm air masses were to change.

What I do notice though is the large drop in moths, butterflies and other insects. Twenty years ago here, if you left a window open of a summers evening, the house would be full of moths. You'd often be catching butterflies and putting them out in the daytime. When you sat down outside there was a constant buzz outside of bees and other insects. You'd be cleaning off the windscreen and headlights of your car on a regular basis in summer as the country roads were thick with flying insects in evening/ night time.

These have all gradually decreased, to the point where it's quite noticeable. Whether this is to do with changing climate or agricultural sprays I just don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Its May and 4 degrees out lad. This aint normal

May the 4th be with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

hgfj wrote: »

So? Perfectly normal for this type of northerly air source at this time of year. It's this type of picking random oddities in the weather and saying that it's proves climate change, that drives me nuts!

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Brendan Delaney

Well, farmers are in for a rude awakening. Beef production will be decimated, its only a matter of time. The signs are hopeful that Leo will tackle it. If not, the EU will have to - it is simply too damaging to the environment.

The big challenge for farmers will be to come up with planet friendly crops, before they’re all reduced to growing trees.

Haha no, the EU commisars will not be changing how we live in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lefty main man in UK Jeremy Corbyn thinks UK must declare a climate emergency
    His older brother Piers Corbyn says there is no man-made climate change.

Christmas at the Cobryns are probably a little frosty...

Haha no, the EU commisars will not be changing how we live in this country.

Well given the level of EU payments to farmers they have a pretty big influence.

But, they might not even need to, the tide is already turning. Burger King have kick-started the move away from beef and McDonalds are starting to follow.
    Meanwhile, a maker of vegan beef and sausage was the most successful share launch, this year.

Still, the move to growing trees should be far less painful than the changes that are facing our children.

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Brendan Delaney

Still, the move to growing trees should be far less painful than the changes that are facing our children.

Again no. The EUSSR is not going to compel us to stop eating beef or go vegan. We aren't slaves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Just replant the tropical rainforests that along with the switch over to electric car's will reverse any damages to the environment

Advertisement