Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW drivers

• 07-03-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Seriously, has there ever been a group of people more determined to live up to a stereotype ? I just nearly got totalled, because a Beemer driver coming the other way just couldn't bear to stay behind a learner (as in, one getting lessons) for another 10 seconds, and had to overtake them in an estate full of parked cars, he somehow made it back onto his side of the road before we had a head on collision. I'm sure it didn't do the learner much good either....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought all the **** drove Audis now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Confirmation bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I don't think its down to a "make of car" driver.its just some drivers are f u ckwits and don't give a **** about anyone else on the road. particularly the ones that don't use their indicators.assholes.

Not all of them. Most still cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

TreyAz wrote: »
    Seriously, has there ever been a group of people more determined to live up to a stereotype ? I just nearly got totalled, because a Beemer driver coming the other way just couldn't bear to stay behind a learner (as in, one getting lessons) for another 10 seconds, and had to overtake them in an estate full of parked cars, he somehow made it back onto his side of the road before we had a head on collision. I'm sure it didn't do the learner much good either....
    Not all of them. Most still cycle.

Bahahahhaha. Nearly spilled my tea. Made me laugh out loud :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

When you see an Irish reg BMW with the German font on it you know you’re dealing with a massive ****.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Totaled?

Christ that brings back childhood memories...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I thought they didn't indicate...... They don't know what the stalk does and get so confused if they do indicate they go the opposite way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I nearly scratched my MSport this evening because some uppity peasant wouldn't get out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

It's always the ones that can't afford them giving out about them I find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Not just bmw drivers, my partner is learning to drive and every time we are out in the car some asshole is trying to overtake just Caus they spot the L plates and she drives within the speed limit, how I know is I get the same when I drive her car, beeping flashing behind the car with headlights.

Driving in Ireland is shocking, my job is spent most days in the car and it’s no wonder our road death toll is so high!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TreyAz

To be fair, in this case you are right. But common sense and (road) manners are free 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

bri007 wrote: »
    Not just bmw drivers, my partner is learning to drive and every time we are out in the car some asshole is trying to overtake just Caus they spot the L plates and she drives within the speed limit, how I know is I get the same when I drive her car, beeping flashing behind the car with headlights.

Driving in Ireland is shocking, my job is spent most days in the car and it’s no wonder our road death toll is so high!

And Ireland annually has the 4th lowest road deaths in Europe! Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

What's the problem? The driver overtook a slower driver and got back onto the correct side of the road by your own admission. Tells me this bimmer driver had pretty good perception of the situation.

Reati wrote: »
    What's the problem? The driver overtook a slower driver and got back onto the correct side of the road by your own admission. Tells me this bimmer driver had pretty good perception of the situation.

Or maybe hes a terrible driver and the Ultimate Driving Machine saved his bacon, how can we know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Or maybe hes a terrible driver and the Ultimate Driving Machine saved his bacon, how can we know ?

I can't know because I wasn't there. But from your description he did OK.

Maybe I described it very badly then, or you have a very exciting daily commute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Our road deaths are very low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

This is the kind of stereotype you’ll hear in Ireland, usually from the usual sorts who think everybody should be bounding around in Opel Corsas or Toyota Yarises. Boring cars and moribund dreams. The kind of people who leave their “bags for life” in the boot all the time. I live in Germany, where ambition and enjoying the finer things in life isn’t seen as showing off but rather enjoying the spoils of your hard labour.

My brother loves taking the piss out of me for driving a BMW, saying we're all bad drivers and that the indicators are optional et cetera. Bit rich from a man who’s written off so many Fiestas he should be speaking Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Large cars (not just BMWs) seem to instil far too much confidence and a sense of entitlement into some drivers. The level of aggression and impatience that so many people display while cocooned behind the wheel of 'high status' cars is very unpleasant. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere, then leave earlier; don't view other road users as obstacles. If you wouldn't scream at someone for bumping into you or dawdling in the aisle in Dunnes, then don't blast your horn at someone who makes a mistake or takes a couple of seconds too long to move away at the traffic lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

Bit rich from a man who’s written off so many Fiestas he should be speaking Spanish.

That made me laugh out loud!

Maybe I described it very badly then, or you have a very exciting daily commute

You described it very well. But I fail to see how the incident can be linked to BMW drivers as a group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

don't blast your horn at someone who makes a mistake

That's.....what it's for :pac:

Large cars (not just BMWs) seem to instil far too much confidence and a sense of entitlement into some drivers. The level of aggression and impatience that so many people display while cocooned behind the wheel of 'high status' cars is very unpleasant. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere, then leave earlier; don't view other road users as obstacles. If you wouldn't scream at someone for bumping into you or dawdling in the aisle in Dunnes, then don't blast your horn at someone who makes a mistake or takes a couple of seconds too long to move away at the traffic lights.

It must be bedlam when two or more high status cars meet.

The kind of people who leave their “bags for life” in the boot all the time.

You should really submit that to the BMW marketing department for their next ad ! (well obviously to describe the aspirations of drivers who choose other brands !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

BMW's aren't even nice to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

yeah.

73r054htS2gS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

This is the kind of stereotype you’ll hear in Ireland, usually from the usual sorts who think everybody should be bounding around in Opel Corsas or Toyota Yarises. Boring cars and moribund dreams.

Well, I looked up 'moribund' in my dictionary and it said:

"Moribund - adjective About to die or dying."

I ask you, is this car about to die?

toyyarisd4d_750_500_70.jpg

No, it's 20 years old and still going strong, having never let its owner down.

So, Mr Von Bismarck, that proves that you are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Beemer drivers are probably in a hurry to get to their destination before another expensive fault occurs when they still have years of a car loan to pay off.

But yeah, Audi's are at least as bad, more so when they've a nordie plate on them.

Had an ignorant beemer drive to the top of a queue of cars this morning and cut in... middle aged, middle management, middle IQ prick in a white shirt thinking his position in his company translates to anything outside the walls of the little corporate pond he brown nosed his way up in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Beemer drivers are probably in a hurry to get to their destination before another expensive fault occurs when they still have years of a car loan to pay off.

But yeah, Audi's are at least as bad, more so when they've a nordie plate on them.

Had an ignorant beemer drive to the top of a queue of cars this morning and cut in... middle aged, middle management, middle IQ prick in a white shirt thinking his position in his company translates to anything outside the walls of the little corporate pond he brown nosed his way up in.

You could tell all that from his car and shirt...good effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I find BMW i3 drivers quite polite actually.
    To be fair speedy gobeens drive all 3 of the German snob badges, BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You could tell all that from his car and shirt...good effort.

Well that and the company car park he pulled into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i find VW Passat drivers to be a menace.
    usually occupied by a 30something chip on both shoulders, singleton males desperate to prove what a good car they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'll only buy a bmw, I like to lord over all the peasants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

EPAndlee wrote: »

with your jobseekers?

• Advertisement

EPAndlee wrote: »

Most beemer drivers aren't lording over anyone driving 8 year old cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

He over took a learner driver in an estate of parked cars when another car was coming towards him. Just because he did it without causing an accident doesn't mean it was safe to do so. In an estate of parked cars visibility of different hazards is going to be poor. That is why the speed limit is generally low through estates. We don't know how new/nervous that learner driver is and how they might react in that situation and I'm also assuming the OP had to react and slow down to the BMW driver. If you are causing traffic to react to your driving then you are not being a safe driver. So from the OP's description he did not do OK. He got lucky.

Granted this has nothing to do with driving a BMW. This guy was just a dickhead who had no regard for everyone else around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Well, I looked up 'moribund' in my dictionary and it said:

"Moribund - adjective About to die or dying."

I ask you, is this car about to die?

toyyarisd4d_750_500_70.jpg

No, it's 20 years old and still going strong, having never let its owner down.

So, Mr Von Bismarck, that proves that you are wrong.

The late 90s Yaris is the perfect car for someone who gives maths grinds to supplement their pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I feel sorry for the lad in the BMW factory that installs indicators, pointless job and he knows it.

If you wouldn't scream at someone for bumping into you or dawdling in the aisle in Dunnes, then don't blast your horn at someone who makes a mistake or takes a couple of seconds too long to move away at the traffic lights.

Well, actually...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I drive a Volvo day to day. I am let out at junctions, given the thank you indicators when I in turn let people out and so on. My other half drives a BMW and when I take her car other drivers treat you like **** on their shoe. Never get let out at junctions bar by other BMW's, get tailgated and so on. I think if you drive a BMW every other motorist hates on you.

xw6fgu5.gif

I went from a golf to a fairly sporty looking 3 series and instantly noticed other drivers treating me differently.

It seems like every ****er wants to race you, no one ever lets you out at junctions and the number of drivers who would rather hog the outside lane than let you pass is unbelievable.

It’s lovely to drive, but I won’t be buying another one, it costs a ****ing fortune to maintain and almost as soon as the three year warranty ran out, things started going wrong.

I had a side light bulb go the other day, so bought a replacement in Halfords and googled the instructions to replace it. They started by saying “jack up the car and remove the near side wheel “ what sort of **** designs a car where you can’t change a front bulb from under the bonnet.

Don’t get me started on 250 quid run flat tyres that can’t have a puncture repaired......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I have my own driver, you peasants :D:D:D

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I have my own driver, you peasants :D:D:D

ya it's called the Bingo Bus!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not true at all, we have low fatality rates compared to other developed countries.
    Lower deaths per 100,000 people compared to most but not all countries on the European continent.

Aegir wrote: »
    I had a side light bulb go the other day, so bought a replacement in Halfords and googled the instructions to replace it. They started by saying “jack up the car and remove the near side wheel “ what sort of **** designs a car where you can’t change a front bulb from under the bonnet.

Honda too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Modern BMW are overpriced heaps of ****, a quick look over in the motor forum and it's mostly tales of woe over stretching timing chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I'm a BMW driver. I'v got a 3 year old 5 series which I love. I passed my test first time and have never put anyone in danger with my driving. I don't drive like a 90 year old but I don't take corners on my door handles either. I always use my indicators and enjoy the look of amazement on other drivers faces when I extend any kind of courtesy to them on the road. Can't believe people actually believe I'm an asshole just because of the car I drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I drive an audi, and pretty good at letting people into traffic. Usually greeted by shock :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement