Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you expect a christmas bonus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Quite lucky to be in a job where the employer rewards staff very generously with a hefty reward card every xmas.

Also aware that we aren't entitled to one either so its always a nice gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What's your point? I look up where Johnny has posted. Generally I agree with what he says. The man has his head screwed on right.

Thanks Paddy. Right back at ya. You seem to understand how the world really works. Not some idealised ‘hippie drum circle’ view of the world where all employers are tyrants, and all employees are under the thumb of their boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Lots of those Eastern European lads are absolute sauce mechanics. Id say he's telling the truth. Two of them arrived to my gaff to put together an IKEA built in wardrobe. Bang of vodka off them would have knocked out a horse.

That's true, you can still run strict no alcohol at work policy. When you are operating vehicles or heavy machinery you shouldn't have people who are drunk. We are fairly relaxed about some issues but not being drunk at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Thanks Paddy. Right back at ya. You seem to understand how the world really works. Not some idealised ‘hippie drum circle’ view of the world where all employers are tyrants, and all employees are under the thumb of their boss.
    I understand that you are a small business and wouldn't expect you to give bonus's to 11 staff if you can't afford it, it's more the way you talk about your staff that gets my back up. You make them sound like lower life forms. Without those grunts, you wouldn't be having your most profitable year, even if all they do is lift stuff in and out of vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Duffryman wrote: »
    Thank you for proving my point that many people don't understand how this 'bonus' lark really works.

It's just your annual salary being paid in a different way to equal weekly, fortnightly, or monthly instalments.

The company will have budgeted the relevant figure for your pay over the course of the full year. Pick any figure you like. Say €36,000. Now, would you like to get that as €3,000 per month, every month? Or as say €2,800 per month for 11 months, and then all the odd €200 amounts stacked up in December as a so-called 'bonus'? It's all the same in the end.

Eh no.

My company pays out a bonus that is dependant on a few things but generally works out as about an extra month salary. A bit more if the aforementioned depenancies are met, a bit less or none at all if they are not met.

So, taking your example - if i am earning 36k - that is the figure on my contract and i therefore receive 3k gross every month. Come December if targets are met i will get 6k but nowhere on my contract will it say my salary is 39k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The lads who work for me are very much manual labour grunts. The majority of them are Eastern European, as thick as two short planks, and have serious issues with alcohol consumption. They load heavy things into vans, unload them, and sometimes they will install these heavy things (commercial kitchen equipment). I could replace any of them in the morning, and not skip a heartbeat. They certainly don't deserve any sort of bonus. They don't offer any sort of differentiating skill that makes them worthy of a bonus. If they don't like that, then they can go and find another job. I'm doing most of them a favour by giving them a job in the first place. It's a small business I'm running, not bloody Goldman Sachs.

I know this is AH so the above is read with a bucket of salt..

But if that's your attitude to your staff, I very much doubt you treat your customers any better.

No wonder so many small businesses fail, but also with an attitude like that, why would anyone support them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have never ever got a Christmas bonus. Ive been working for 30 years.

As far as I knew only bankers and those on the dole get a Christmas bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

... And no. Never gotten a Christmas bonus. December into January is usually a very long month with 5/6 weeks between paydays, and any annual bonuses in the new year I lose half to tax.

Bah humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The lads who work for me are very much manual labour grunts. The majority of them are Eastern European, as thick as two short planks, and have serious issues with alcohol consumption.

Weren't you here last week saying you'd never rent to Irish people as they are wasters. Foreigners only for your fancy apartment

Now your Eastern european employees are no good either

More bitterness in ya than a taxi driver :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My husband’s current and previous company (both private sector) don’t give Christmas bonuses. They pay for the Christmas party. I think hubs would rather the money.

My friend works in a public sector laboratory. The employees pay for the Christmas party themselves and don’t get a Christmas bonus.

My best bonus was when I was an entry-level employee in a company. You got €1000 or if you started in the company during that year, it was pro rata for the amount of the year you had been with the company. I believe I got €600 or so after tax. I probably got a higher bonus after tax than some higher ups because I was still within the lower tax band even with the bonus that month. Our Christmas party was also paid for.

I never expected a bonus in any job though. The clue is in the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I'm only in my current job since May after being in the previous one for 14 years (both pubs). My new employer is an absolute gent. He is paying me an extra week this week and told me to order my turkey and ham from our butcher, on him. That's more than I was given in all those years in the last place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Weren't you here last week saying you'd never rent to Irish people as they are wasters. Foreigners only for your fancy apartment

Now your Eastern european employees are no good either

More bitterness in ya than a taxi driver :pac:

No, my employees are great. I like them and they like me. They just aren’t getting a bonus as they don’t do anything that would make them worthy of a bonus. Doing the same as loads of other employers. They’ve a good work ethic actually. I couldn’t find Irish lads to do the work I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

No, my employees are great. I like them and they like me.

The lads who work for me are very much manual labour grunts. The majority of them are Eastern European, as thick as two short planks, and have serious issues with alcohol consumption.

and turn a blind eye to the fact that some of them are barely functioning alcoholics.

Right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

My Christmas bonus will be around 20 bags of blocks.

I purposely ringed them to bring them home, put each and every one up on the big block,I'll chop them Saturday.

Nothing more pleasurable than splitting block's with a New York fireman's axe a few days before Christmas.

Roll up the sleeves and off I go....ho ho ho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

Spent half my working life in the private sector, generally got 1-2 weeks wages as a bonus. One exceptional year when I got 25% of my annual salary. Never got 1 cent in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Get an annual bonus but it’s paid in March every year and is dependent on company, department and personal performance but is generally a sizable amount. Don’t get anything special in December just normal pay thinking about it now would be better to get the bonus paid in December or January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

We get a 100 euro one tor all voucher. But also all employees get paid a bonus every march

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

CIP4 wrote: »
    Get an annual bonus but it’s paid in March every year and is dependent on company, department and personal performance but is generally a sizable amount. Don’t get anything special in December just normal pay thinking about it now would be better to get the bonus paid in December or January.

Yeah same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Truckermal wrote: »
    Just so you know any time Johnny is involved in a thread on Boards Pintman Paddy suddenly arrives to thank his posts and back him up and vice versa....

Yup, noticed that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

I've never gotten a bonus but that's the public sector for you, I think you have to very high-up and already-overpaid to get a bonus.

My missus works for a pharmaceutical company, when she is raging against the public sector, the issue of bonuses never comes up. Sectors like finance and Pharma etc. can and do pay massive bonuses.

I suppose it's easy to pay bonuses when you don't pay tax and you're a drug dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

blackcard wrote: »
    Never got 1 cent in the public sector.
    Rezident wrote: »
    I've never gotten a bonus but that's the public sector for you

Wha ? Every week is bonus week in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Yeah I receive a Christmas bonus every year :) Christmas party/dinner is all paid for by the company :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Wha ? Every week is bonus week in the public sector.

when your in the lower rungs, It really isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Or the individual concerned could have refrained from asking a question that was irrelevant. Works both ways.

Or you could have refrained from smugly using the word 'substantial' in your post. But you didn't. It was also irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

We get a weeks wages and up to €500 can be paid as a voucher so tax free. Christmas party paid for along with a free bar. Still a crappy place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I normally get one of those pre paid credit cards and just transfer the money to myself using PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Personally, I never get a bonus, I give them....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Everyone in my company gets a bonus, they start at €200 all4one voucher for the lowest level ie apprentices and go up to €500 all4one along with a few grand in the wages for highest level. They are very good with it, we get it every year along with some bonuses during the year if performance is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

titan18 wrote: »
    The dole get one, so yes, I think people who are actually working should get one.

Wrong.
    JSB don't (ie, the recentl.y unemployed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I usually get a €300 bonus from dairygold as a dairy farmer but as JFK once said the farmer is the only man in our economy that buys at retail sells at wholesale and pays freight both ways. So I guess they can well afford it.

Advertisement