Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have a piggy bank?

Options
  • 21-02-2015 2:30am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a piggy bank where I store my small change and from time to time when it gets full I open it up and take the coins to a Tesco where I can convert them into notes.

Do AHers have a piggy bank? What do you do with your small change? Do you keep a kitty of money to delve into every now and then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yup! :D

It's my holiday fund. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

3 litre vodka bottle for small change,a biscuit tin for the notes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I sure do.

It has some funny name on it...Trocaire, or something. I think it's something French anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think everyone has a piggy bank of sorts.
    For me it's two things... An old huge Whey Protein Bucket with change. But also an empty cotton ear-bud plastic tray filled with coins for bus fare (weird I know :p )
    But both are piggy banks of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I have a box that I throw change into but as soon as theres 6 or 7 euro I usually spend it if im stuck for fags or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

4.5 liter absolute vodka bottle nearly full of €1 and €2 coins, put 50/20/10 cent coins in another... Have no idea how much is in them but I'm expecting to insure and tax the car with it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Have a Trocaire box. It gets raided every couple of weeks. I feel like Bunny Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Empty teabag box on the windowsill for small change, some amount of coppers gathered in a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yup, an old coffee tin full of coppers. Only been going for a year, but it's almost full now.

Only another 10 years 'till I get enough to buy that ticket to New York. Woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

No but I should,id be amazed by how much change I would have around the place:) I try to keep all my change in one pocket and spend my money to the.10 In the shops ha,

Plan for tomorrow: get a piggy bank:)

How much have people saved In a piggy bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I have a piggy and I have a bank. I do not however have a piggy bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yup! Biscuit tin from Xmas is for coins of all denominations. Maybe once a month I sort them and lodge in the Credit Union. Was using a 2ltr bottle with the top cut off. Every 6 months or so I raid the C.U. fund and bring it back to near zero. I'm not good with saving money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Yes I do. I keep money in moneybags for different things like the esb bill and phone bill and tyres for my car. That way I have enough to pay them without digging into housekeeping or savings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Used to, was always satisfying when you'd end up with about €50 worth in it, but I use the card more than cash nowadays and it'll be even more used once NFC is widely available

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

I use an empty tub of protein powder as my money box. It weighs about 30kg when full.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm over the age of 12 so I use a bank account. You should try it some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

thought for sure this thread was some sort of allusion to **** so I'm relieved to see it isn't. must be something in the water....

Nope, the smallest common note here buys a two-pack of gum and three of them buys a lighter so they're always spent. Coins aren't used anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I have a box. Last time I counted there was €150 in it. I reckon that there's €250 minimum in her now. I've been told that it's going towards the boys Trocaire donation. "He could win an extra gold star, Jay". I'll buy him a hundred gold stars. Secretly, I was hoping to use it for a trip to Sheffield. But to the CEOs salary it goes. Wednesday don't need my support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

yes , yes i do ,

it gets counted up twice a year and goes into the credit card ,

and im quite smug about it to be honest , its my only real financial planning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I have a jar with a screw on lid that counts the change as you drop it through. €260ish and counting. I'm saving up for a decent coffee grinder.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I gots me a silver piggy bank from marks and spencer, and a pikachu one I put €5 notes, and 1 and 2 euro coins in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

yep, and open it a week before xmas every yr...last yr it had 890 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Can you walk into the bank with a stone of coppers, fcuk it up on the counter and say 'Lodge that please'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Can you walk into the bank with a stone of coppers, fcuk it up on the counter and say 'Lodge that please'?

You need to sort it with them little cash bags they give you I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

banks don't like dealing in cash anymore
    I think they have a 1 hour slot a week where you can
    going by the complaints I hear anyway

I don't use anything, i sit down and count the coppers and buy gum or bus fare if i have a lot in my wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

3 litre vodka bottle for small change,a biscuit tin for the notes

Well, Laa Dee Dah...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Needs to be bagged in coin bags to be lodged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Yes I do. It's a metal box made into a slide out shelf in my desk. Count it once a year to buy a treat for myself. Last year it hat 1400 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I have a piggy bank. Was saving up for a few years and paid the deposit on my first rented house out of it. Normally save 1c,2c,5c in one place then 10c,20c in another and use that for parking when I bring car in for shopping. Just a note to everyone on bagged coins. Go round the local shops and ask some (or all depending on town size) if they need them for change. The shop gives you the notes to the value of your change. Most shops in my local town have gotten change this way of me in the past. I then either spend the notes or lodge them into the bank. Discount shops with .99 pricing are great for taking 1c or 2c coins off me through this.

Advertisement