Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venues your parents brought you as a child at a loose end

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Blue Oyster bar to play a game of pool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If you’ve ever had the misfortune to darken the doors of Ikea on a Saturday or Sunday you’ll see where unimaginative parents take their young when they want a “day out”.

You’ll see the red faced angry dad bullying about with a trolley, the browsing mum stopping at every item for sale and the couple of kids trying to have a small bit of “fun” milling about only to be roared at by the angry dad.

Considering the parents probably don’t see much of the kids during the week you would think the weekend would be a good for spending some “quality” time with them but instead they do that. Sad really.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Is that a Monty Python reference. ��

Excuse me

Tuareg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Bog.

Lough Key Forest Park.

When I was a kid I didn't know what a venue was trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Saturday was jobs. Sowing or picking potatoes. Garden work. Minding the younger ones.

Sunday was out to Granny's house. The adults huddled in by the Stanley, gossiping with code words they thought children didn't understand. A match on the TV. Me secretly reading Granny's stash of lurid ''true crime'' magazines using a copy of the Ireland's Own for cover. Like WTF Granny? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'd go shopping with my mother and sometimes get a Coke soda (Coke and ice cream mixed together) in this cafe.

Sometimes my father took us fishing. As in he fished and my mother and me went with him. I'd sit in the grass or run around. That was a very rare event though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Beavers, cubs and finally Scouts. Fecked off there to do some stuff most weekends. It was great craic tbh.

Saturdays were spent playing outside with friends, Sundays were for mass and the Sunday roast dinner followed by a drive to a score(Road bowling), we'd often get a treat at a chip van or maybe a picnic on the roadside, then home, Glenroe and bed, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭This is it

If you’ve ever had the misfortune to darken the doors of Ikea on a Saturday or Sunday you’ll see where unimaginative parents take their young when they want a “day out”.

You’ll see the red faced angry dad bullying about with a trolley, the browsing mum stopping at every item for sale and the couple of kids trying to have a small bit of “fun” milling about only to be roared at by the angry dad.

Considering the parents probably don’t see much of the kids during the week you would think the weekend would be a good for spending some “quality” time with them but instead they do that. Sad really.

Quite judgemental. There's a whole weekend, you see these people for a snippet of that.

While I love doing fun things with my little fella, going to the park, playgrounds, playing football, water fights, crazy golf, rolling down hills, and whatever else takes his fancy, there are times when I have to drag him around to do food or clothes shopping, to the local diy, etc. because these things have to be done. I try make them as fun as possible but there are times when he gets bored. It's about striking a balance between the fun and not so fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Charlies furniture store in Waterford, where Rapid cabs is now.

Very very leaky roof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

We'd go for a long walk. Are we there yet? I want to go home. My legs are tired. Can you carry me. I need to do a wee.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Johnny Fox's. For some reason the traditional Sunday drive always seemed to end up there. Drink driving wasn't really a thing in the 70s...

This is it wrote: »
    Quite judgemental. There's a whole weekend, you see these people for a snippet of that.

No it’s not. These people are taking their kids to a place like Ikea on a Saturday, or Sunday, morning for a “day out” with no real intention to buy anything.

And even then they expect their kids to behave like adults without running off, playing games or jumping on the beds. Then taking their frustrations out on them when they do anything like that.

The “highlight” of the day is then going to the shop “restaurant” and giving the kids a plate of those horrible grey “meatballs” to stuff their faces with. It’s a terrible day and it ruins the trip for those who are there for a reason.

It’s a lazy and unimaginative way for lazy and unimaginative “parents” to kill the time they have to be with their kids. They probably can’t wait for the time when swimming, ballet or soccer start up again.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Atlantic Homecare, where they let us run wild and free, and we feckin loved it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

mikemac2 wrote: »
    homework, sure wouldn't you do it on Sunday night

Glenroe theme tune meant time for homework *shudder*
    I'm tempted to raise my mother from her grave and proclaim 'See, it's not just me!'

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm tempted to raise my mother from her grave and proclaim 'See, it's not just me!'

My mother is passed too. Lookit, don't bother

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My folks weren’t into pubs at all so it was very rare when my sisters and myself would have any reason to be in a pub. Extremely boring for a child and IMO not really suitable for them.

Saturdays were usually spent out and about playing with friends, messing about on our bikes etc. A lot of time spent outdoors in 1980s Dublin suburbia. Maybe a day out to the Phoenix Park. Our aunt or my mum would sometimes take us into out to the beach, to the cinema, Powerscourt the very odd time and if we behaved we got some sweets and crisps.:)

Sometimes down to see our grandparents which could be a bit tedious but my grannies doted on me as I was the youngest child in the family and among all my cousins. My maternal grandmother was great at baking and her buns, cakes and lemon meringue pies were delish! She would often slip me a pound note when my mum wasn’t in the room.:p

Shopping was Quinnsworth in Blanchardstown. Mum would usually fret at the cost of the big shop remarking on how prices had gone up again and being a cheeky brat at times I would harass her to buy a new pack of cereal for the crappy “free gift” or put a pack of sweets in the trolly which she would find at the checkout and make me put back.

Dad would sometimes take me and a couple of mates out on a long spin in the car and that was great - I especially loved traveling along the very few dual carriageways and the two extremely short stretches of motorways that existed in Ireland at the time. Was always dead impressed and jealous of the motorway and road system up in the North when going up to visit relatives.

Sundays were mass, Sunday lunch and for a treat the occasional weekend, McDonalds. My mum was adamant the we did our homework after she made us a snack after getting home from school on weekdays so weekend homework was only really in secondary school.

Largely happy and carefree times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Grew up farming so there was always work to be done. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Now we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Antique shops and furniture shops. Used to be in my element looking at "stuff", still love a good root around an antique shop :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

What a load of crap and it seems to me that perhaps you don't get out much yourself. If you did you'd see that parents are now more imaginative than ever. Parks, museums, farms, beaches are packed with kids, but keep suiting your own narrative man !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

My dad used to always bring us visiting his aging aunts and uncles regularly.
    I'm really happy he did because I still have a great connection to their famililes now even though my grandaunts and granduncles are all dead at this stage.
    Family and tradition are very important to me, and it was because of those childhood rituals of Sunday visiting that I'm like this.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭This is it

No it’s not. These people are taking their kids to a place like Ikea on a Saturday, or Sunday, morning for a “day out” with no real intention to buy anything.

And even then they expect their kids to behave like adults without running off, playing games or jumping on the beds. Then taking their frustrations out on them when they do anything like that.

The “highlight” of the day is then going to the shop “restaurant” and giving the kids a plate of those horrible grey “meatballs” to stuff their faces with. It’s a terrible day and it ruins the trip for those who are there for a reason.

It’s a lazy and unimaginative way for lazy and unimaginative “parents” to kill the time they have to be with their kids. They probably can’t wait for the time when swimming, ballet or soccer start up again.

Yes it is, whether you want to admit it or not. You're judging the parents and you're making wild assumptions about them and their lifestyles when in reality you have no idea.

Don't get me wrong, there are parents who do fûck all with their kids but just because a parent brings their kids to IKEA doesn't make them bad, lazy or unimaginitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

We used to go for a walk around the new estates and look at the show houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

People's parents brought them places?

Hal3000 wrote: »
    What a load of crap and it seems to me that perhaps you don't get out much yourself. If you did you'd see that parents are now more imaginative than ever. Parks, museums, farms, beaches are packed with kids, but keep suiting your own narrative man !

Sure they do, “man”.

That’s why the place is crawling with parent and child combos milling about aimlessly whenever you’ve to go there on a weekend. It’s a bloody nightmare that wouldn’t be an issue if they were taking their kids to the park etc.

The type of parent who brings their children to commercial shopping places like that for a “day out” are, to me, on the same level as the parents you see in those awful discount shops like “Mr. Price” who loudly call their young children the “C” word.
    This is it wrote: »
    Yes it is, whether you want to admit it or not. You're judging the parents and you're making wild assumptions about them and their lifestyles when in reality you have no idea.

Don't get me wrong, there are parents who do fûck all with their kids but just because a parent brings their kids to IKEA doesn't make them bad, lazy or unimaginitive.

Yes, it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Sure they do, “man”.

That’s why the place is crawling with parent and child combos milling about aimlessly whenever you’ve to go there on a weekend. It’s a bloody nightmare that wouldn’t be an issue if they were taking their kids to the park etc.

The type of parent who brings their children to commercial shopping places like that for a “day out” are, to me, on the same level as the parents you see in those awful discount shops like “Mr. Price” who loudly call their young children the “C” word.

Yes, it does.

You're taking the Mickey now... Not biting !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Have you considered the possibility that maybe their young children actually are cunts?

Hal3000 wrote: »
    You're taking the Mickey now... Not biting !

Apologies if it sounds a little “extreme” but I’ve had to endure a number of trips out to Ikea lately and the weekend ones have been hell. Absolute hell.

This isn’t anything new, as soon as I was walking in I spotted the family units and remembered I’d seen it previously. And it only gets worse as you start around and you see the angry headed “dads” grabbing one of the kids and hissing at him through gritted teeth about behaving.

They obviously don’t need to be there, or at least the kids don’t. It’s a horrible way to spend the day and it’s horrible for others to have to witness, and get delayed by, it.

It’s up there with families doing “the shopping” in Tescos, as in the whole family. It’s not the 80s, there’s late openings everywhere. Suffering a weekly grocery shop with the whole family is just masochism but I guess there’s the sadistic release of chastising the kid for being bored or crying over not getting sweets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'd chop acres of nettles at the weekends as a child.

Advertisement