Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venues your parents brought you as a child at a loose end

Options
  • 25-05-2019 9:13am

So you were there at home idle. It was Saturday, there was no rugby / gaa session for ya and school was not on your mind and neither was homework, sure wouldn't you do it on Sunday night before going to bed.

Where did your parents bring ya for another boring dull outing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So you were there at home idle. It was Saturday, there was no rugby / gaa session for ya and school was not on your mind and neither was homework, sure wouldn't you do it on Sunday night before going to bed.

I’d love to know what that was like :pac:

Generally told go out and weed the garden, and if that was done, there was more work to be done, and if that work was done, find work to do!

Never went on Saturday or Sunday outings or anything like that, trip to Quinnsworth for the weekly shop and told stay in the car was the closest to it I suppose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The pub

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Out to play with the traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't recall us ever being idle and we certainly didn't know what a venue was.

We spent our free time out and about, playing in the garden or the fields. There were always chores to be done if we weren't amusing ourselves. We'd have the weekend walk to our grandparents' who lived about five miles from us but it was far from boring. If it rained we played with our toys, board games, cards, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

homework, sure wouldn't you do it on Sunday night

Glenroe theme tune meant time for homework *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

At a time when car ownership was a novelty, my Dad would say
    "Want to come out for a spin?"

and that was it - just a drive around. Might see something to stop at, like ducks on a river, or a park with a swing and a slide: if VERY lucky, we might get some Smarties shared around before going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We had 'the jobs'!

A list of things to be done on a Saturday. I have very fond memories of myself and my brothers heading off to our farm about a mile away on Saturday mornings and really rolling our sleeves up so we would be finished in time for a soccer match on Sports Stadium at 3 o'clock.

If it wasn't farm work, we cut the lawns or had other jobs to do around at home. As did our sisters. When we weren't doing this type of stuff, we played hurling or football incessantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Jobs

If not we had to amuse ourselves, so built tree houses and all sorts....

Also including building a go car, dragging it over for a few miles to a hill and then going up and down it

Health and safety would not be impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

The Black Sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Out for a spin of a Sunday. Tidy up after the dinner and then off out to Skerries, Powerscourt, Howth, Malahide, Phoenix Park and other such places.
    Generally just running around and acting the eejit with my brothers and sister. Always stopped for ice cream or sweets and home in time for Glenroe. My Dad sometimes brought us greyhound racing on Saturday evenings in the summer.

I brought my own children on similar trips. The dead zoo was always a great spot to hit on a rainy day (or when funds were low).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The middle of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

The bog, picking stones, snagging sugar beet, milking, standing in gaps, ....

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

honeybear wrote: »
    The bog, picking stones, snagging sugar beet, milking, standing in gaps, ....
    Standing in gaps. Ha!Brings back some memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

To the Shannon runway watching the planes taking off and landing.
    I actually never got bored of it, the planes were so loud sometimes they would make you feel like getting sick.

Nowadays the only thing you'll see flying around the Shannon runway is butterflies and the odd bird....

Tacklebox wrote: »
    I actually never got bored of it, the planes were so loud sometimes they would make you feel like getting sick.

Nowadays the only thing you'll see flying around the Shannon runway is butterflies and the odd bird....

Remember when the Concord used to call? We used to live across the estuary, just west of Ennis and had a great view of it as it landed and took off, albeit from a distance.

dad did that with me once and we went to Dublin airport, parked near to a runway and listened to an Aer Lingus 737 'spooling up' loud alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Bunch of snowflakes the lot of ye.

Now we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Car wash in local garage
    followed by driving around a roundabout 3 times at high speed and no seatbelts on.
    followed by mcdonalds.

Remember when the Concord used to call? We used to live across the estuary, just west of Ennis and had a great view of it as it landed and took off, albeit from a distance.

Where ye the Ballynacally direction?

We were right on the edge of Shannon , the concord was always a novelty for the whole town.

Ye had a different view to us across the estuary.

• Advertisement

Now we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

That's how you ended up with a split personality :D

Where ye the Ballynacally direction?

We were right on the edge of Shannon , the concord was always a novelty for the whole town.

Ye had a different view to us across the estuary.

Yeah, that general direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

dad did that with me once and we went to Dublin airport, parked near to a runway and listened to an Aer Lingus 737 'spooling up' loud alright!

I remember there was a viewing platform in the airport and you could see the planes airside without having a ticket to fly? I might be wrong about this one but wasn't there a little security check at the very front door too? I'm talking 1990 give or take a year or two

You're no snowflake. You're a true toerag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sunday drive.....which meant admiring/snooping at other people's front gardens

oh the joy of it :cool:

I remember there was a viewing platform in the airport and you could see the planes airside without having a ticket to fly? I might be wrong about this one but wasn't there a little security check at the very front door too? I'm talking 1990 give or take a year or two

Don't know about that, Dad parked with me very near the run in the late 80's.

Additionally, we were hearing the sound from a Boeing 737 - 200 spooling up.

Very Noisy.

I remember when security started in Dublin airport around this time and it was just two guards with wand type detectors moving them over the bags as people came in the door to the departures area. I was only 10 or 11 at the time but can remember that if the crowd got backed up a bit, they'd step back for a few minutes and let it clear before continuing.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me and it was much more comprehensive than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A LONG drive to a forest park

Followed by a LONG walk. No interprative centers, no coffee shops, no bottles of water.

Usually we told to go and and play & dont come home until dinner time.

Annual school trip once a year was the 'venue' destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was dragged out for walks. Every costal location in Dublin,big parks and up the mountains.It wasn't boring though got to see animals,climb on the rocks,playgrounds and im sure my parents were glad when it got me to sleep earlier.

Also did most museums the dead zoo,Collins barracks etc. Im delighted my parents were so on the ball about getting out. It still stands to to me now since I like to get up and get moving.

Id get the occasional play place and cinema trip too,zoo etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

You're no snowflake. You're a true toerag.

Is that a Monty Python reference. 🀔

Advertisement