Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enough is Enough Ad Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I'll just have to make do with **** in the canteen in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Preaching to the concerted.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There was a thread on this already.

I agree its silly though.
    Useless and kind of offensive to both men and female victims.

Rapists are sociopaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Someone is going to bring up hen nights...

Edit: the guy above me pretty much did :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

sugarman wrote: »
    They should probably include the rowdy aul wans out on the town together that have had too much vino, they're the worst of the lot hanging out of young fellas young enough to be their sons, pinching their arses and saying all sorts.

A woman has the benefit of telling one of the bouncers if shes getting abused and the fella will get turfed out, the other way around you get laughed out of it.

ooh young man! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You/d think there was some kind of sexual harassment epidemic going on. Why do some ppl want us to believe there is? How about an ad campaign to persuade parents not to bring their kids up as knackers. Much more serious an issue to address with the containing rise of anti-social behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

A women putting her hands on your shoulders is sexual assault now? Very bizarre ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

A women putting her hands on your shoulders is sexual assault now? Very bizarre ad.

Technically he's doing the assaulting. Society has failed her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Omackeral wrote:
    Someone is going to bring up hen nights...

Women are victims of this behaviour the majority of the time but it also happens to guys from women. I was 16 working in a hotel and I was groped and felt up by a bunch of drunken women at a function. I said it to my supervisor at the time, his response was a good looking lad like you will have to get used to it. I doubt the same conversation would have happened if I were female. Sexual assualt is what is regardless of the sex of the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I dont see the point of the ad. It's not as if a pervert is going to go "you know what, that's me done with the auld groping" or is the address aimed at women to stand up for themselves and not to put up with that kind of behaviour?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Women are victims of this behaviour the majority of the time but it also happens to guys from women. I was 16 working in a hotel and I was groped and felt up by a bunch of drunken women at a function. I said it to my supervisor at the time, his response was a good looking lad like you will have to get used to it. I doubt the same conversation would have happened if I were female. Sexual assualt is what is regardless of the sex of the victim.

Where did you get those stats? I've rarely ever had a female friend get groped while on a night out but it happens to the lads I'm with all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Hmmm, lets analyse this:
    1. Older woman puts hands on shoulders - this is not sexual harassment, this is uncomfortable and weird for the guy
    2. Im not sure what to make of this, she is with him initially, he orders drinks for both and then she is uncomfortable, what does that have to do with sexual harassment? more than likely 2 seconds later she fecks off and hes left with the bill
    3. The guy doesnt want to shower with the rest of them, the other guy is bullying, its not sexual harassment, its harassment.
    4. On the stairs, no context, i.e. they seem to know one another and have been intimate previously, if that is the context then while it is awkward i would hardly think she should take a sexual harassment case against him. She seems to be comfortable initially then when he kisses her but after the kiss its as if she has been interfered with at a serious level.
    5. Agree with this one, but it looks like it is going to be a lot more than sexual harassment and more of a sexual predator trying to see how far he can get.

This ad tries to go from soft sexual harassment to extreme cases but in doing so it is actually going for weird/awkward situations to effectively potential rape and it is separately mixing bulling with this( you could argue that it is sexual harassment because the guy doesnt want to be naked but cmon its just bullying and a bully who would do this to someone who doesnt want to be naked in front of other guys has a lot more issues than bullying - and i dont think this would be acceptable in his 'bullying' social circle )

I dont know, i think this crap has gone to far on a social level, instead of focusing on a broad range of cases which are largely questionable as we dont have any info on the context, sexual harassment should be specifically targeted at the workplace, where i am guessing the impact is larger for the folk involved.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

GarIT wrote:
    Where did you get those stats? I've rarely ever had a female friend get groped while on a night out but it happens to the lads I'm with all the time.

I didn't give stats but if you wish to find out who are predominantly the victims of sexual assualt it's not hard to guess which sex is the most representative of the stats available. Of course the figures may be skewed by males under reporting but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I didn't give stats but if you wish to find out who are predominantly the victims of sexual assualt it's not hard to guess which sex is the most representative of the stats available. Of course the figures may be skewed by males under reporting but I doubt it.

When you say "the majority" you are saying >50%, which is a stat. I do believe that it is under reported significantly so. At this stage I've been groped by women on hen parties at least 15 times and I've always thought there was no point reporting it because something like that is near impossible to prove even if it is taken seriously. I tried talking to the bouncers the first 3 or 4 times but they couldn't give a ****.

GarIT wrote:
    When you say "the majority" you are saying >50%, which is a stat. I do believe that it is under reported significantly so. At this stage I've been groped by women on hen parties at least 15 times and I've always thought there was no point reporting it because something like that is near impossible to prove even if it is taken seriously. I tried talking to the bouncers the first 3 or 4 times but they couldn't give a ****.

Yeah I did say the majority of victims are women. Available stats if you wish to check are available to bear this out.
    I get what you are saying about the groping, been there experienced it and got laughed at for making an issue .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Under reporting is probably a massive amount when you take prison stats into account (which by in large tend to be largely ignored in these discussions mind you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Was measured I thought, not too preachy

Expected worse

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Hmmm, lets analyse this:
    1. Older woman puts hands on shoulders - this is not sexual harassment, this is uncomfortable and weird for the guy
    2. Im not sure what to make of this, she is with him initially, he orders drinks for both and then she is uncomfortable, what does that have to do with sexual harassment? more than likely 2 seconds later she fecks off and hes left with the bill
    3. The guy doesnt want to shower with the rest of them, the other guy is bullying, its not sexual harassment, its harassment.
    4. On the stairs, no context, i.e. they seem to know one another and have been intimate previously, if that is the context then while it is awkward i would hardly think she should take a sexual harassment case against him. She seems to be comfortable initially then when he kisses her but after the kiss its as if she has been interfered with at a serious level.
    5. Agree with this one, but it looks like it is going to be a lot more than sexual harassment and more of a sexual predator trying to see how far he can get.

This ad tries to go from soft sexual harassment to extreme cases but in doing so it is actually going for weird/awkward situations to effectively potential rape and it is separately mixing bulling with this( you could argue that it is sexual harassment because the guy doesnt want to be naked but cmon its just bullying and a bully who would do this to someone who doesnt want to be naked in front of other guys has a lot more issues than bullying - and i dont think this would be acceptable in his 'bullying' social circle )

I dont know, i think this crap has gone to far on a social level, instead of focusing on a broad range of cases which are largely questionable as we dont have any info on the context, sexual harassment should be specifically targeted at the workplace, where i am guessing the impact is larger for the folk involved.

wise up now.

I would never be described as either a puritan or overly politically correct about these things but
    • 1 is obviously dodgy. You can't do anything like that in a work environment. it's bang out of order especially if he is junior to here
    • 2 ditto. No indication they are already together, he ignores everything she says and starts pawing at her even though she is obviously not interested
    • 3 maybe isn't sexual harassment specifically but as you say it's harrassment
    • 4 again he's not listening to her and is taking liberties
    • 5 yes he's a predator

I think the point of the campaign is that this behaviour is a royal pain in the hoop at best and criminal at worst, so stop doing it.

It's also making the point that it's not a case of rape / not rape. "I'm not a rapist so my behaviour is ok" is a stupid line.

Also all the people talking about hen nights are making the same point as the ad. Low-ish level sexual gob****ery is not cool and people whether men or women should not do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

KSU wrote: »
    Under reporting is probably a massive amount ...

Probably. But then somebody else can come along and argue with the same weight that, probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I was more on about the general middle aged women out acting like its their hen night every weekend :p

If you worked in bar you'd know the type.

...but same applies to hen parties I suppose. Personally I dont mind them as a single bloke thats more often than not up for a bit of craic but not everyone is and that should be respected equally.

Like asking the young bar boy " have you any nuts?" ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

They should probably include the rowdy aul wans out on the town together that have had too much vino, they're the worst of the lot hanging out of young fellas young enough to be their sons, pinching their arses and saying all sorts.

A woman has the benefit of telling one of the bouncers if shes getting abused and the fella will get turfed out, the other way around you get laughed out of it.

I work in a wine bar and I remember one really busy night a couple of years ago, there were these two women in their 50s sitting at the bar, they were in since early evening and sozzled.

At some point in the night it was taking a while to serve people and I passed them a few times as I was serving other people and noticed a guy in his early 20s standing by them chatting. Every time I passed they'd escalated the behaviour, were putting hands on him, saying whatever they were saying. About the 3rd or 4th time I passed he was physically peeling their hands off him and saying "No, I'm not joking, stop!'

I caught his eye, motioned him come around the other side of the bar, served him, said sorry about that, they've been there drinking a good while, he said thanks and said he felt like slapping them but then he'd probably have gotten in trouble.

It was only afterwards (I was very busy that night) I reflected, if that had been the other way around then a) things probably wouldn't have got that far and b) I wouldn't have thought twice, I'd have booted them out.

The majority of the burden of sexual harassment and assault is borne by women, from men no doubt. But there's a big double standard very ingrained. I'd never behave like that myself but I enabled and excused it, and I know from my own experiences that that's almost a big a part of the problem as the actual harassment and assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wise up now.

I would never be described as either a puritan or overly politically correct about these things but
    • 1 is obviously dodgy. You can't do anything like that in a work environment. it's bang out of order especially if he is junior to here
    • 2 ditto. No indication they are already together, he ignores everything she says and starts pawing at her even though she is obviously not interested
    • 3 maybe isn't sexual harassment specifically but as you say it's harrassment
    • 4 again he's not listening to her and is taking liberties
    • 5 yes he's a predator

I think the point of the campaign is that this behaviour is a royal pain in the hoop at best and criminal at worst, so stop doing it.

It's also making the point that it's not a case of rape / not rape. "I'm not a rapist so my behaviour is ok" is a stupid line.

Also all the people talking about hen nights are making the same point as the ad. Low-ish level sexual gob****ery is not cool and people whether men or women should not do it.
    It's clearly not that effective if you get so many wondering what it's about!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Wondering if on the TV version they have cut the aul one rubbing the young lads shoulders. Don't think I've seen that before on the TV.

we were talking about this today and the question came up, is there not even one ounce of harassment, sexual or otherwise in the LGBTQ community?

Why does the ad infer that sexual harassment is perpetrated by men on women four times for every once a women harasses a man? it's like only straight folks sexually harass.. If LGBTQ people make up such a large section of society, why aren't they represented on this ad??? or perhaps is there a reason?? If we consider one of the biggest alleged sexual harassers in the the Media would have been Gay, Al Porter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

rusty cole wrote: »
    we were talking about this today and the question came up, is there not even one ounce of harassment, sexual or otherwise in the LGBTQ community?

Why does the ad infer that sexual harassment is perpetrated by men on women four times for every once a women harasses a man? it's like only straight folks sexually harass.. If LGBTQ people make up such a large section of society, why aren't they represented on this ad??? or perhaps is there a reason?? If we consider one of the biggest alleged sexual harassers in the the Media would have been Gay, Al Porter..

On a similar note, why are all the perpetrators in the advert white Irish? Very unusual for an advert to only feature white Irish these days. I guess they don’t want to be seen to possibly adversely stereotype people who are not white Irish. Says it all really.

its gas, cos on every ad for even the gardai, the bloody six O Clock bells with 1 minute to consider all races, formerly the ANGELAS! it's mixed races and same sex couples. Put up a subject like sexual harassment and all of sudden, it's all white straight faces!!!

is it trying associate the darker side of human nature with straight folk!! maybe two guys harassing some lad over a cake??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

In that ad your man says to the bar man, "Mick, two drinks!" . Not sure he gets the concept of ordering.

No wonder she's freaked out by him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

AllForIt wrote: »
    You/d think there was some kind of sexual harassment epidemic going on. Why do some ppl want us to believe there is?

Same reason Jussie Smollett faked a racist attack and Sarah Silverman lied about being paid less for no other reason than that she was female.... because it profits them in some way.

When you have a section of society that are benefiting from a certain narrative well then that narrative will constantly be fed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Actually saw a "version" of it this evening; just the clip in the bar, with voiceovers. While still clumsy it had one target only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Without alcohol and sex how are Irish people going to procreate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Feisar

Just a note on the ad and people critique of it. It's mainly due to bad acting/directing.

First they came for the socialists...

Advertisement