Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,107 ✭✭✭✭listermint

badtoro wrote: »
    Are you talking Renua or Mairead McGuinness there?

Aontu.

Mairead McGuinness has a great European record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

listermint wrote: »
    badtoro wrote: »
    Are you talking Renua or Mairead McGuinness there?

Aontu.

The church would say so for sure.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/meps-express-deep-concerns-at-mcguinness-proposal-on-church-access-1.3893619

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

robman60 wrote: »
    Renua were never coming to anything after Lucinda Creighton left but I think Tóibín might be onto something. Have to bear in mind that there were a lot of council areas such as my own which didn't have anyone running, so obviously a lot of areas with 0% is going to hit. THey were polling 5% in MNW region for local councils and they are getting a solid grassroots going. I wouldn't rule the party out by any means.

I wouldn't either, surprised at how low they got, the only party that could split that socially conservative vote is renua like.

But they have Peadar Toibín, who while I don't agree with him on much I can see is a good politician and a very effective media person. They have the pro-life platform which is usually to be counted on for single issue voters. Sinn Fein's not doing great. Not being to field enough candidates and not being able to leverage all those stars aligned right is pretty poor imo.

I'd not rule them out (they're no Peter Casey :pac:) but to me it looks like a much longer slower road ahead than they were presumably hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,392 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Aontu.

Until she said that the Church should have more of a say in Europe.

I wouldn't either, surprised at how low they got, the only party that could split that socially conservative vote is renua like.

But they have Peadar Toibín, who while I don't agree with him on much I can see is a good politician and a very effective media person. They have the pro-life platform which is usually to be counted on for single issue voters. Sinn Fein's not doing great. Not being to field enough candidates and not being able to leverage all those stars aligned right is pretty poor imo.

I'd not rule them out (they're no Peter Casey :pac:) but to me it looks like a much longer slower road ahead than they were presumably hoping.

Tobin just pulled his sister through based on family name. Amazing she uses that instead of her married name when it suits her.

You got one thing right. He's a politician alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

For years right-wing media commentators told us there was a gap in the market for parties like Renua and Aontu.

The fact is, there isn't.

The abortion issue has been settled. It's over. Ireland is a pro-choice country. End of.

Renua are finished.

Toibin himself may not be a racist, but he took serious flak from potential supporters when he attempted to sign up Aontu to an anti-racism protocol.

Aontu will now invitably drift towards the far right.

Anti-abortionism internationally is inextricably linked with the far right. It's tied up with all the same dodgy **** that the US far right, evangelical right, Steve Bannon and Russia promote.

Any party which brands itself as anti-abortion will drift towards all that sort of toxic ****e. That's where the funding comes from.

Renua did and Aontu will inevitably go the same way, and they'll inevitably fail badly.

Much more dangerous would be an anti-immgrant party which cynically brands itself as pro-choice and pro-same sex marriage etc., even though they really aren't.

The nut jobs will probably eventually figure this out.

But emigration and anti-colonialism is so hard wired into Ireland's DNA that even that will only be a niche party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    For years right-wing media commentators told us there was a gap in the market for parties like Renua and Aontu.

The fact is, there isn't.

The abortion issue has been settled. It's over. Ireland is a pro-choice country. End of.

Renua are finished.

Toibin himself may not be a racist, but he took serious flak from potential supporters when he attempted to sign up Aontu to an anti-racism protocol.

Aontu will now invitably drift towards the far right.

Anti-abortionism internationally is inextricably linked with the far right. It's tied up with all the same dodgy **** that the US far right, evangelical right, Steve Bannon and Russia promote.

Any party which brands itself as anti-abortion will drift towards all that sort of toxic ****e. That's where the funding comes from.

Renua did and Aontu will inevitably go the same way, and they'll inevitably fail badly.

Much more dangerous would be an anti-immgrant party which cynically brands itself as pro-choice and pro-same sex marriage etc., even though they really aren't.

The nut jobs will probably eventually figure this out.

But emigration and anti-colonialism is so hard wired into Ireland's DNA that even that a party like that would only ever be a niche party.

There's a lot to be said for never having been a so called "great" country. Ireland has no imagined "golden age" to look back on. Therefore the cancer of nostalgia and looking backwards is not here to anywhere near the same extent as it is elsewhere.

You lost me at " right wing media commentators"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Like Brian Dobson?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Like Brian Dobson?

What about dobbo?

As long as people like you keep sticking your fingers in your ears, whistling away to yourself and denying reality, the rest of us are safe enough

Please keep it up

Ireland has had enough of po-faced, preening, backward, theocratic, racist busibodies whose entire sense of existence depends on trying to ruin the lives of others

Casey and the hipster nihilists propping up the Dublin election count are just the latest useless embarrassments from that lineage

The same lineage that gave us Una Bean Nic Mhathuna and her "g'way ye wife swapping sodomites"

No constructive vision for society, no ideas except destruction, no concept of reality, no support, no point

It's deeply heartening that all of them have been roundly rejected despite their planes, viral videos and shadowy overseas funding

• Advertisement

Ireland probably will have an anti immigration party, but not for another 20 years or so.

For a long time no one could conceive the nationalist parties in Sweden and Germany having any kind of support.

Irish people either completely row in behind one official narative or another, for most of the states existence, it was a conformist Conservative narative, now its a PC narative

There is nothing we fear more than being seperated from the crowd

As long as people like you keep sticking your fingers in your ears, whistling away to yourself and denying reality, the rest of us are safe enough

Please keep it up

Ireland has had enough of po-faced, preening, backward, theocratic, racist busibodies whose entire sense of existence depends on trying to ruin the lives of others

Casey and the hipster nihilists propping up the Dublin election count are just the latest useless embarrassments from that lineage

No constructive vision for society, no ideas except destruction, no concept of reality, no support, no point

It's deeply heartening that all of them have been roundly rejected despite their planes, viral videos and shadowy overseas funding

Your funny

Irish people either completely row in behind one official narative or another, for most of the states existence, it was a conformist Conservative narative, now its a PC narative

There is nothing we fear more than being seperated from the crowd
    Right wing nut jobs have certainly been separated from the crowd

And their only strategy is fear

In the echo chamber of this forum where far right nut jobs predominate, it's easy for far right nut jobs to to be lulled into thinking that many more people think like them than is reality

But normal people are not po-faced, preening busibodies whose entire sense of existence depends on trying to ruin other people's lives

Your funny

It's "you're".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

hill16bhoy wrote:
    It's "you're".

hill16bhoy wrote:
    It's "you're".

You think you're clever.

In the echo chamber of this forum where far right nut jobs predominate, it's easy for far right nut jobs to to be lulled into thinking that many more people think like them than is reality

But normal people are not po-faced, preening busibodies whose entire sense of existence depends on trying to ruin other people's lives

People with any objection to mass immigration are labelled as far right these days.
    People in favour of sensible immigration are labelled as open border crusties.

In Ireland we have neither. Somewhere in the middle.
    I like the division though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ireland probably will have an anti immigration party, but not for another 20 years or so.

For a long time no one could conceive the nationalist parties in Sweden and Germany having any kind of support.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2019/0525/1051610-exit-poll-analysis/
    According to the findings of the RTÉ TG4 Exit Poll, 52% of voters have indicated that they are worried that people are "coming into Ireland illegally, staying here and freeloading off the State." But seven out of ten voters agree that on the whole immigration has benefited Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Outgoing MEP Marian Harkin gave a run down of partial tallies to Radio 1 just there and Casey is showing higher than the exit poll across the board, i.e. 10-12%. This is important as compared to, for example, Walsh and McHugh polling well in their heartlands but dropping off in the bigger eastern counties.

Peter is not dead by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Outgoing MEP Marian Harkin gave a run down of partial tallies to Radio 1 just there and Casey is showing higher than the exit poll across the board, i.e. 10-12%. This is important as compared to, for example, Walsh and McHugh polling well in their heartlands but dropping off in the bigger eastern counties.

Partial tallies are really not terribly useful and it depends what location boxes they open. They are also not actual votes.

• Advertisement

Peter as an Irish MEP and Tommy Robinson in for the UK.
    We can only hope.

Po faced is a more apt description of the identity politics brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Blueshoe wrote: »

Peter as an Irish MEP and Tommy Robinson in for the UK.
    We can only hope.
    Would make my day.

Would make my day.
    Probably your Monday or even Tuesday!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Partial tallies are really not terribly useful and it depends what location boxes they open. They are also not actual votes.

Yes thanks for letting me know that, I only worked election counts for 20 years.

Yes thanks for letting me know that, I only worked election counts for 20 years.
    Given how much credit you gave it , it's clear where your sympathies lie. It's also very misleading especially to those who don't have your your knowledge. Be much better all round to add the health warning on them and maybe what percentage is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's an awful constituency. I think Louth, Meath and Kildare should be with Dublin. A huge amount of people in those counties commute to Dublin for work and would have similar ideas. They have virtually nothing, outside of Louth being a border county, with the rest of the counties in the constituency.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's an awful constituency. I think Louth, Meath and Kildare should be with Dublin. A huge amount of people in those counties commute to Dublin for work and would have similar ideas. They have virtually nothing, outside of Louth being a border county, with the rest of the counties in the constituency.
    You can blame the Constituency Commission who recommended it in 2013. As their combined population is in the order of 500,000 that wouldn't work for Dublin. It's a hotch potch and most realistically a party operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Would make my day.
    Probably your Monday or even Tuesday!
    To be honest it would make my week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was listening to radio early and heard some lady summarising Ming's tallies around the constituency. She then said Kildare and I immediately presumed she was talking out of her hole.

Kildare in the same constituency as Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim makes sweet f##k all sense.

Who exactly would Ming be representing in Kildare? What policy matters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lawred2 wrote: »
    I was listening to radio early and heard some lady summarising Ming's tallies around the constituency. She then said Kildare and I immediately presumed she was talking out of her hole.

Kildare in the same constituency as Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim makes sweet f##k all sense.

Still plenty of agricultural business in Kildare, plus EU constituencies are not local like GE or local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You dont really get this European Parliament constituency idea do you?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Still plenty of agricultural business in Kildare, plus EU constituencies are not local like GE or local.

Ming might come from a rural constituency but I'm not sure agricultural concerns were ever foremost in Ming's mind.

Edgware wrote: »
    You dont really get this European Parliament constituency idea do you?

Not that one no. I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ming might come from a rural constituency but I'm not sure agricultural concerns were ever foremost in Ming's mind.

It's one shared with his Roscommon neighbours though, which is an answer to you asking what the constituents have in common.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Smoking dope

You'd wonder how some people can be so divorced from reality, and instead create some kind of alternative reality in their heads
    Names for the "right wing" Irish media commentators would be interesting, but I don't expect any will be provided

Ha ha ha ha ha

Move the constituency now so but jobs can get in. Because other jurisdictions can see threw him

Hilarious nonsense. Absolutely hilarious.

Only absolute idiots that support right wing ideals that they think they can impress upon elderly people have his sort of outlook.

Given how much credit you gave it , it's clear where your sympathies lie. It's also very misleading especially to those who don't have your your knowledge. Be much better all round to add the health warning on them and maybe what percentage is involved.

I wouldn't vote for him to save my life.

I detailed it as it was substantially at odds with the exit poll. I think people who frequent these pages will understand all the caveats that days such as this raise, but my point would be that I suspect there may be a substantial silent vote who wouldn't disclose to an exit poll and that may bear out in the count.

I wouldn't vote for him to save my life.

I detailed it as it was substantially at odds with the exit poll. I think people who frequent these pages will understand all the caveats that days such as this raise, but my point would be that I suspect there may be a substantial silent vote who wouldn't disclose to an exit poll and that may bear out in the count.
    I think he might come in higher but he may come in lower as well. I've never been a fan of the so-called silent vote hypothesis and I just find it hard to believe that a large enough cohort of people lied. It's interesting to see some comments on this thread from people who previously had given Casey a vote in the Presidential and would now steer clear of him. I think the exit poll is a useful indicator of who might be involved for seats but some numbers do line up with what's been seen in opinion polls. All will be revealed this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,392 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ha ha ha ha ha

Move the constituency now so but jobs can get in. Because other jurisdictions can see threw him

Hilarious nonsense. Absolutely hilarious.

Only absolute idiots that support right wing ideals that they think they can impress upon elderly people have his sort of outlook.

He did win me a sizable amount of money by coming second in the Presidential election in fairness.
    I did state then that I wouldn’t vote for him in any other election but I thank him for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

The C&W, Garth Brooks loving muckers! Every part of Ireland has them and Kildare isn't exempt.

If elected Ming might be able to get them tickets for one of the Garth Brooks concert in the Berlin Staatsoper.

Or, for the more urbane voters, tickets for an open air André Rieu concert in Maastricht - he'll be performing there for 11 nights in July - but wellies aren't allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Who exactly would Ming be representing in Kildare? What policy matters?[/quote]

A lot of bog in Kildare, plenty of turf cutters, also Ming is involved in European agriculture committees, there's more to Kildare than the commuter belt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

A lot of bog in Kildare, plenty of turf cutters, also Ming is involved in European agriculture committees, there's more to Kildare than the commuter belt[/QUOTE]
    Do they have families banks of turf in Kildare with turbary rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The C&W, Garth Brooks loving muckers! Every part of Ireland has them and Kildare isn't exempt.

If elected Ming might be able to get them tickets for one of the Garth Brooks concert in the Berlin Staatsoper.

Or, for the more urbane voters, tickets for an open air Andrieu concert in Maastricht - he'll be performing there for 11 nights in July - but wellies aren't allowed.

Your username says it all.Stay inside the M50 and follow the likes of Damien Dempsey.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

From looking at the news latest, it looks like Casey is toast and the final seat in Midlands-North-West will be a battle between Maria Walsh, the Shinner candidate and FF. Ming likely to take the third seat.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    From looking at the news latest, it looks like Casey is toast and the final seat in Midlands-North-West will be a battle between Maria Walsh, the Shinner candidate and FF. Ming likely to take the third seat.
    FF in the shootout for the last seat would be a surprise!

FF in the shootout for the last seat would be a surprise!

Free Cheese for everyone ! - Let them eat Cheese !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Looks like
    McGuinness.
    Carty.
    Ming.
    Walsh.

The tide is gone out on the green wave.Thank F*uck sick listening to them for the past 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

What about dobbo?

You mean Brian eh Dobson, with his, eh, inability to eh, verabalise a whole, eh, sentence without , eh, the use of eh to an,eh incredibly annoying, eh, degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mgn wrote: »
    Looks like
    McGuinness.
    Carty.
    Ming.
    Walsh.

The tide is gone out on the green wave.Thank F*uck sick listening to them for the past 2 days.

As most people have been predicting for the last few weeks. Saoirse McHugh will probably end up even more of a flash in the pan than Casey...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement