Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a point to making children learn irish in school anymore?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Gróibhear

Chowmein and others,

When I say that English speakers in Ireland are not "Irish," I am only making a semantic argument. In other words, I am saying that, culturally speaking, mainstream Irish culture today is, in fact, "Anglo-Irish" culture. This has nothing to do with nationality and I am making no moral judgement here. I am not saying that Anglo-Irish culture is inferior to (Gaelic) Irish culture or less "pure." I am simply stating a sociolinguistic fact. There are two (at least two) cultural traditions in Ireland, and unlike Solo, I do believe that they are, at least in part, defined by language.

There are many "Irish" people who object to Irish-Americans claiming the term "Irish." I think this is valid for, as Americans, we have absorbed and integrated different values and shared meanings that distinguish us from Irish-born people.

And yes, our accent is a marker for those differences. In fact, accent and dialect (which are merely aspects of language) serve as the primary indicator of cultural identity, which only serves to prove my point--that language is an intrinsic element of culture.

The Point to Making Children Learn Irish in School:

Ok! Enough about culture and identity! Who cares, right? You are who you are and maybe you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

What most of us seem to agree on is the importance of choice and self-determination. And compelling children to learn a dying language is contrary to that principle, right?

Wrong.

In fact, the best justification to continue with compulsory Irish-language policies is precisely to support the idea of "choice."

Start with the following assumption:

People who wish to learn and to use Irish in their daily lives should have the right to do so.

Besides being democratic, this principle is supported by the Eureopean Charter for Regional or Minority Languages, which has been ratified not only by the Republic of Ireland but by the United Kingdom as well.

Unless I'm mistaken, the pending Language Bill that has been drafted by the Department of Arts, Heritage, Islands and the Gaeltacht would specify that Irish-language users have a right to obtain services in Irish from the State (or at least from certain departments).

Subsequently, the State would require an adequate pool of civil servants who are fluent in Irish to provide these services, translate official state documents, etc. This is not a choice. This is an obligation on the part of the government.

Thus, the State not only would have a valid interest in promoting Irish-language education but they have a duty to do so, as a signatory to the European charter. Just as the state has an interest in promoting math and sciences in order to produce techically skilled graduates, a compulsory langauge policy is necessary to produce an adequate pool of prospective civil servants.

As citizens, you have the right to throw aside the langauge if you choose to do so, unless your working as a civil servant and you're called up to provide services in Irish--then it's part of your job. However, as citizens, you also have certain duties to the state which are part of the reciprocal social contract.

Finally, if you want to be good Europeans, then you're honor-bound to acknowledge the conventions of Europe, which include minority language rights.

And, if you don't want to be good Europeans, then clearly there's something wrong with you! wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

all i cant say is the people who have learnt it seem to enjoy knowing it, and dont feel its a waste of time, people calling for it be be got rid of from school are the same people who never learnt it in the first place,

personaly, i think its a matter of national pride, and you lot can pull your head out of the clouds, if it wasnt irish it would be french or german in primary and two foreign languages in secoundary,

if you cants past your national language your not goung to pass 2 foreign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Ok your still a little ****ed up in that i was also talking about culture as well adn being "Irish". My Mother is Irish and my Father is English, I am Irish, i live in Ireland, i respect the culture and i have inheated the culture form my morther and her famly. i am NOT Engilsh because i have never lived or considerd there culture to me my culture and heratage, im irish, its on my berth cert and its on my passport, but most of all its in ME, and its not for u to deside about weather or not it is my heatage. So plz just drop it. And also i noticed u have not rely sayed aay thing about what i was saying, because i can not speek irish due to a learning disablity that makes me "Anglo-Irish"? Because if thats true i think there are alot of "Anglo-Irish" people who would not see your "great Vision"

Chow Mein:

First of all, I never suggested that you were English. Secondly, I think that you are getting a little tripped up on the labels here, so let's put it another way.

You're "Irish" but you're not "Gaelic." Would you agree with that statement?

Again, I know many Americans who insist that they're Irish, and they've got the family pedigree on their wall to prove it. They may even have an Irish passport. Still, that doesn't invalidate the observation that their are important cultural differences between those born in Ireland and those born in the States, just as there are cultural differences between those raised in Dublin and those raised in West Conamara.

Finally, I did not reply to your comment about dyslexia because I think it's a separate issue. It's like that Monty Python bit where one guy tells the other guy that he can't have a baby, who then replies, "don't you oppress me!"

"I'm not oppressing you, you don't have a womb!"

If I tell you that you are not X-ish because you don't have/know X-ish, the reason for you not knowing it is irrelevant. It doesn't change the outcome. Nor does it necessarily imply some moral deficiency. It's just the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

If you abandon Irish your children will certainly blame you for the death of the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Ok Gróibhear,
    want to leave it at that?? i am knid a tierd of think of fresh ways to say my point, in my opinoin kids brought up in ireland are irish, and get to inheate irelands heratage.

I am going to leave it at that and am not going to argu with u over this any more

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chowmein:

I am going to leave it at that and am not going to argu with u over this any more

</font>

Good tongue.gif

I'll hold you to that.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I'm tellin yez, once you have the accent, you are Irish, Groibhear on the other hand, is not Irish.

i hate you guys......

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...Groibhear on the other hand, is not Irish.</font>

I never claimed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gróibhear:

quote:
    ---
    ...Groibhear on the other hand, is not Irish.
    ---

I never claimed to be.

</font>

I'd imagine popinfresh is talking about the word "Gróibhear", not the person...

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

B'fhéidir gurb' fhearr é "garránach"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Kieran is anuim dit

Does this answer your question? its all the Irish I know...

I think it's important that kids talk about why they don't like Irish, and why they don't want to learn it.

I like Irish, and would happily speak it to anyone who'd like to speak to me (unless they correct me, in which case I will kill them and put their body in a suitcase, with "sin tusa leat" scrawled on the outside).

But it's obvious I'm in a minority, and I'd like to know why. There must be a reason for the great dislike kids have for Irish, and for learning it, and until this is acknowledged and examined, and the reasons for it are understood, Irish hasn't a chance.

Funny thing is, if you look back to the 1960s you'll find the same debate going on - about Latin. And of course Latin disappeared from the curriculum, and now there are kids saying thay'd love to learn it. O tempora, o mores.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by solo1:
    The foisting of the language can serve no real purpose except to recall a time when people actually did use the language, a time of hate and blood. </font>

Funny, that's what people used to say about speaking English. Hmmm.

Various other countries have reclaimed a language that had been stamped out by an invader - the Finns, for instance.

And the Israelis, who arrived in Israel with only one language really in common - English - have effectively formed a nation with two "native languages" - English for business, Hebrew (not even a spoken language except among scholars at the time of the foundation of the Israeli state) for family, politics, newspapers and general communications.

That's just two countries, but there are plenty of others. I think, myself, that the whole business about whether Irish is extinct or not is a side-issue.

I think the Irish people have big emotional issues with identity: do we really *want* to be Irish? what does being Irish actually mean to us? and so on.

And the question of whether we should learn Irish and speak to each other is central to this inner debate.

Sure, we can relieve children of the onerous and terrible burden of a few hours' classes a week, and let the language go to the grave. How much better a country we'll have then. Yeah. Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lj

Tá go maith, feicim go bhfuil orm rud an-shimpli a rá, míniú beag.
    OK, I see I have to say something very simple, a little explanation
    focail as Gaeilge:
    Éireannach - a citizen of Poblacht na hÉireann. So, a catholic Irish speaking person in Northern Irealnd is not Éireannach (although some of them are working on it...) Ar an láimh eile, only English speaking amadáin in the republic are! Nach ionatch é sin?
    Gaelach - a true Irishman, Irish speaking, native to the island of Ireland, be his/her mother or father penguins or Marsians. Mar sin, na stóiriní, ní sibh Gaelaigh ar chor ar bith, náire an domhain oraibhse.
    Gaeilgeoir - an Irish speaking person anywhere on the globe, penguins included.

So, in my humble foreign opinion, if you had the first thing with you about your culture, you would not dare say that Gaeilge is not to be obligatory in schools there, no matter how unimportant in your life, however close to extinction she may be. The only thing you have to do is to open your mouths and say cupla focail gach lá to anybody around you, I mean, if YOU do it, it has to be fashionable enough. This way, all your lip service just goes on to say how little you care, and me, as a foreigner, can ask you, if you care so little for your treasure, your own ex-language, how on earth do you expect me to believe that you can truly care for anybody else. If you don't, b'fhéidir gur fearr leat buail an bothar, a mhic, agus téigh ar áit an mbonn go Meiricea sabhair, saol álainn is ea é ansiúd, agus do thír chaite fós i bhfuil agus fuath agus Béarla priomhtheanga an domhain ar aon chor... Tá a fhios ag madaraí an bhaile nach bhfuil ceart agat, buíochas le Dia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I gcóir na daoine a céapann nách bhfuil aoin cús le foghlaim an gaeilge, tá ceist agam díobh. Cén fáth a cóimeadann tíreanna eile a teanga nadúrdach?
    I gcóir cúrsaí gnó ? Ne heá. Is féidir le cuid mhaith dé daoine an céad domhan caint i dhá téanga aguse daoine árithe níos mo ná dhá agus tá béarla an-láidir acu.
    Is é an pointe leis an gaeile na chun an cúltúir a dheanamh níos láidir mar ní labhríonn ach éireannach é seachas cúpla daoine eile mar Lj nach bhfuil éireannach ach tá ag déanamh a cuid chun an cúltúir a dhéanamh láidir chun nach ndéanach daione dearmad ar ár cúltúir. Má tharlaíonn sé seo cuirfidh sé deireadh le "Éireannach".
    For the people who say its pointless to learn irish I ask you this. Why do other countries keep there native language ?
    Is it for business use ? I think not seeing as most of the first world's population are now at least bilingual with very strong english.
    Its purely for cultural benefit seeing as its usually only natives with a few exceptions, such as people like Lj who aren't natives but are doing the best to help convince people that they should remember there culture and treasure it, not brush it to one side where it will be forgotten about, thus killing off the "irish".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

What have i created! :P

I might look like a fool but i`m really a blithering idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,982 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by popinfresh:
    I'm tellin yez, once you have the accent, you are Irish, Groibhear on the other hand, is not Irish.

</font>

Thats the problem

As far as the rest of the world is concerned we are just brits with an accent (someone else may hav brought this point up i havt read pg 2 yet)

When Michelle Smith was interviewed in Irish in Atlanta after winning the Gold, the Yanks were stunned that we have our own language. It's a disgrace that such a minority of people are able to speak it fluantly.

Basically what i am saying is, we have all thes "shwaa's" out there in their celtic jersey's and their "up the ra" or "**** da queen" written on the back of their schoolbooks but for some reasson they all hate the language of our country and are in foundation level classes. Why is this? Do you not think of it as an embarresment not being able to speak the language of your country?

Táim ábalt agaeilge a labharit. Níl me líofa ach táim ceart go leoir. Is mór an trua go mbíonn gach daoine as an tír seo ag caint i mbearla. Is bearla an teanga atá acu i Sasana. Is gaeilge a RAIBH againn sa tír seo. Nach bhfuil an taim ann anois do gach daoine dean rudaí chun an faodhb seo a chasadh?

Dont bother pointing out the grammatical errors. As I say. Níl me líofa.

"Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 groovebabe

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groovebabe:
    Check out http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2001/0809/fro3.htm</font>

Agus?!? An bhfuil aon tuairim agat faoi?

Is spéisiúl é go bfhuil a lán daoine tógtha don smaoineamh go bhfuil an "ceart" ag tuismitheoirí agus páistí an teanga a sheachaint ach nach raibh éinne ar an gclár plé seo (nó ar an gclár plé eile i "Humanities") sásta aitheantas dá laghad a thabhairt dosna pointí a luaigh mise maidir le cearta cainteoirí na mionteangacha.

Tá dualgas ag an rialtas seirbhísí Gaeilge a sholáthar! Agus teastaíonn ón rialtas daoine óga atá líofa go leor sa nGaeilge (agus iad sásta úsáid a bhaint aisti) chun an dualgas sin a chomhlíonadh!

Tá sé ciallmhar go leor, dar liomsa.

Gróibhear
    Níl meas ar an uisce
    go dtriomaítear an
    tobar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 groovebabe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gróibhear:
    Agus?!? An bhfuil aon tuairim agat faoi?
    </font>
    Tá.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Is spéisiúl é go bfhuil a lán daoine tógtha don smaoineamh go bhfuil an "ceart" ag tuismitheoirí agus páistí an teanga a sheachaint
    </font>

Ní mise. Aontaím go huile is go hiomlán leis an scoil faoin cheist seo. Sa chéad dul síos, mura mbeidh na páistí sásta fanacht sa rang scoile (faoi mar atá siad anois), cá mbeidh siad? An mbeadh na tuimitheoirí sásta íoc as babysitter doibh?

[This message has been edited by groovebabe (edited 09-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groovebabe:
    Aontaím go huile is go hiomlán leis an scoil faoin cheist seo.</font>

Is maith é sin a chloisteáil. Is trua gurb í an cheist seo--sin le rá, ceist na Gaeilge éigeantaí--an t-aon rud amháin a mbíonn á phlé go coiteanta ó thaobh ceist na teangan de.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UhuhUhuh

Was it your letter in the Irish Times?

An raibh mé chomh feiceálach sin?
    Was I that obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil3030:
    Do you not think of it as an embarresment not being able to speak the language of your country?</font>
    Nope, can't say I've ever lost sleep over it to be honest.
    I was in honours Irish in secondary, all I can remember now is the odd phrase, and those long lists of dum-duit-do-di charts that I don't quite know what to do with anyway.
    Sod it, I'm glad my first language is English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Originally posted by Neil3030:
    Do you not think of it as an embarresment not being able to speak the language of your country?
    </font>

Irish is not our national language, English is.
    when in school and in every day life, is it more important to be able to converse in English or irish?

In say..Germany, day to day living is the german language yet most germans can speak English, but german is of more importance and its their national langauge and this is because in order to survive in germany, you must be able to speak german, but in ireland you never need know a word of irish, so what is our national language??..english.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fand:

And the Israelis, who arrived in Israel with only one language really in common - English -
    </font>

An bhfuilir cinnte? Ní dóigh liom go raibh Béarla ag Giúdaigh na Rúise nó ag Giúdaigh an Ghearmáin nuair a bhunaíodh stáit an Iosrael. Agus dá bhrí sin, bhí sé níos furasta an Eabhrais a roghnú mar mheán cumarsáide.

Dá mbeadh Francis ag muintir Chorcaí agus Spáinnis ag muintir na Gaillimhe, bheadh sé éasca go leor an Ghaeilge chur chun cinn mar theanga choitianta freisin. Faraoir, is é an Béarla atá acu agus tá tionchar na teanga sin ag dul ó neart go neart ar fud an domhain. Mar sin, measaim gur drochshampla í an Eabhrais.

Is fíu an sraith raidió "Language Steamrollers" (m.s. Béarla, Spáinnis, Sínis), a bhí á chraoladh ar an BBC World Service le déanaí, a chloisteáil má tá suim agat san ábhar seo.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/index.shtml

Are you sure? I doubt if the Jews of Germany or Russia had English when Israel was established. It was easy, therefore, to use Hebrew as a common means of communication.

If Corkonians spoke French, and Galwegians spoke Spanish, then it would be easy to develop Irish as a common language. But they speak English.

The destruction of languages is, unfortunately, continuing apace thoughout the world - the main culprits termed "Language Steamrollers", as used in the recent BBC series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by popinfresh:
    </font>

Agus cad faoi foireann sacair na hÉireann?

What about the Irish soccer team then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lj

Sod it, I'm glad my first language is English.

Eh, if you only knew how a good part of the world sees your Hiberno-English, you wouldn't be so bold...
    I think you should speak only your English, Irish is too good for you.

Advertisement