Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a point to making children learn irish in school anymore?

Options
13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Well I suppose, even though we don't like to admit it, the Irish team is not Irish, but Liverpool isn't exactly English either is it...But it's organised by the FAI, which is Irish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lj:
    I think you should speak only your English,</font>
    And that I shall.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Irish is too good for you.</font>
    No, Irish is too dull and useless for me.
    I'd prefer to spend my time learning a practical language like Chinese.
    You can keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by popinfresh:
    Well I suppose, even though we don't like to admit it, the Irish team is not Irish, </font>

Dar le do shainmhíniú cúng caol ar Éireannachas.

Only according to your narrow definition of who's Irish and who's not.

[This message has been edited by Doctúir (edited 15-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doctúir:
    Dar le do shainmhíniú cúng caol ar Éireannachas.

Only according to your narrow definition of who's Irish and who's not.

[This message has been edited by Doctúir (edited 15-08-2001).]
    </font>

Nationality is clean cut, the irish team is indeed foreign.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:

Nationality is clean cut,
    </font>

Ar mhiste leat cur síos ar an náisiúntacht seo (atá chomh soléir agus simplí duitse) a thabairt dúinn?

Would you mind describing this "clean cut" nationality?

the irish team is indeed foreign.

Nach féidir leat an bréagnú inghreamaithe a fheiceáil san abairt thuas?

Can you not see the contradiction inherent in the above sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Gróibhear

B'fhéidir go bhfuil an náisiúntacht sóléir o thaobh na dlí de. Sin le rá, is "Éireannach" é/í saoránach Phoblacht na hÉirinn.

Ach tá an ceart ag an doctúir s'againne gur ceist eile ar fad í ó thaobh an chultúir de. Nach é sin go díreach an rud atáimid ag plé anseo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Of course, the question we're really considering is more central: is the rejection of Irish actually the rejection of Irishness?

The reason these "swaars" don't want to learn irish is not because they are ashamed to be irish, but because there is effort envolved in learning a new language. But this does not mean that they are not Irish. They are 21'st century Irish. Anyways it's not like we resemble they way british people speak, we have a unique vocabulary and unique accent. Where else in the world do people use the verb "Stall it" or "me gaff", them swaars are 100% irish regardless of whether or not they speak an extinct language.....

The reason these "swaars" don't want to learn irish is not because they are ashamed to be irish, but because there is effort envolved in learning a new language. But this does not mean that they are not Irish. They are 21'st century Irish. Anyways it's not like we resemble they way british people speak, we have a unique vocabulary and unique accent. Where else in the world do people use the verb "Stall it" or "me gaff", them swaars are 100% irish regardless of whether or not they speak an extinct language..... </font>

Mo bhrón! Bhí argóint maith go leor curtha i láthair agat gur chaith tú an tseafóid seo faoi mharbhántacht na teangan isteach san áireamh! Is cósúil gur taibhsí iad na 70,000 Éireannach a mbíonn ag baint úsáide as an teanga go laethúil!

You had a swell argument there before you had to go and throw in this codswallop about the language being extinct. I guess that the 70,000 Irish people who use the language daily are nothing but ghosts!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

70,000 out of the ~4 million on this island isn't a whole lot now is it?

• Advertisement

Where else in the world do people use [...] or "me gaff", </font>

An Astráil agus Sasana! Nach bhfaca tú "The Bill" riamh? Ba iomaí tagairt a dhearna DCI Burnside do "that geezer's gaff".

Australia and England! Have you never watched "The Bill"?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

them swaars are 100% irish regardless of whether or not they speak an extinct language.....
    </font>

Cad is "swaar" ann? What's a "swaar"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Gan teanga gan tír - sure, we speak English with a characteristic accent and vocabulary. We speak a dialect. Big swing.

Kids don't dislike Irish because they're lazy - they're not too lazy to pass their Leaving in all the other subjects they learn.

The rejection of the language is a real rejection of our pride, our nationality, our culture, and it's a sad, sad thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

This is probably the only time i will ever speak on this board as i have never really had an interest with Irish since i last did it in second year[ about 6 years ago]. I am blaming the Irish government for not enforcing that Irish should be spoken more freely.

I mean come on ffs, if people ain't getting taught Irish, how can they speak it??? I used to be able to speak a bit when i was small,but now i only know a few words like milsean and siopa and trasna. These won't come in handy if i was stuck!!!! Irish should be used a hell of a lot more in this country, not only the gaeltacht areas but the main cities like Dublin, Cork and Galway.

This is my point:if we don't have our own language, then who are we????

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gróibhear:
    B'fhéidir go bhfuil an náisiúntacht sóléir o thaobh na dlí de. Sin le rá, is "Éireannach" é/í saoránach Phoblacht na hÉirinn.
    </font>

Mhuise, níl sí ró-sholéir ó thaobh na dlí de ach an oiread. Mar shampla, aon duine a rugadh roimh 1948 in Éirinn, is féidir leis/léi pasport a fháil ón mBreatain, cé nach raibh an Rí nó an Ríocht Aontaithe luaite sa bhunreacht (1937) ag am sin.

Mar aon leis an méid sin, tá cead ag Ian Paisley agus a chairde pasport Éireannach a fháil chomh maith más mian leo. Ach ní dóigh liom go mbeidh aon deabhadh air!!!

Agus beidh an argóint faoi "ainm ceart" an Stáit á phlé go deo na ndeor (i.e. Éire nó Poblacht na hÉireann nó Ireland nó ROI nó Irish Republic fiú mar a deirtear ar an 'mainland' )

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doctúir:

Can you not see the contradiction inherent in the above sentence?
    </font>

well what else do i call the irish teaM.?

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen:
    70,000 out of the ~4 million on this island isn't a whole lot now is it?</font>

Níl bheith sé críochnaithe go gcanóidh an bhean uasail ramhar. It's not over 'til the fat lady sings.

Seo ceist daoibh:

How many Macintosh users are there compared to Microsoft users? Should those of us who love the Mac pitch in the towel because some the PC world thinks that the Mac is a "dead" platform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gróibhear:
    How many Macintosh users are there compared to Microsoft users? Should those of us who love the Mac pitch in the towel because some the PC world thinks that the Mac is a "dead" platform?</font>
    No, they should both ditch their respective OS'es and install Linux. tongue.gif
    You'll hear the Mac crowd argue that Mac's are better for DTP and video editing etc.

I've yet to hear a similar logical argument put forward as to why Irish is supposed to be so important to us.
    All I keep hearing (reading), is the culture/history argument... if that's your mindset, then why don't we force every young student in the country to learn Irish dancing? - It'd be more useful I think.
    And while we're at it - we'll make a grade C in Irish dancing the minimum entry requirement for every University in the country.

well what else do i call the irish teaM.?
    </font>

N'fheadar. Tusa a dúirt gurb eachtrannaigh iad.

Dunno. You're the one who called them foreign. I'm still waiting for your description of "clean cut" nationality btw.

ok then, if your born in ireland, then your irish.
    if you were not born here then your not irish.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

born on a ferry???

Thats a dumb analogy, and the key thing being
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"born in the irish sea"</font>

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement

born on a ferry???

Thats a dumb analogy, and the key thing being
    "born in the irish sea"
    </font>

The Irish Sea is only a name. Irish territorial waters do not extend over all of the Irish Sea. The limit is 10 miles iirc.

If it worries you that much, change the example to the middle of the Atlantic in international waters. Or born in Boston. Or Arundi Burundi. The point still holds.

[This message has been edited by Doctúir (edited 18-08-2001).]

yawn...this argument makes me tired.

ok, you win.
    finished.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

yawn...this argument makes me tired.

ok, you win.
    finished.
    </font>

Codladh sámh!! wink.gif

and he gloats.
    ouch.
    smile.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

Ok, here's an easy way to put it, if you had a conversation with someone for 5 minutes, you would know what nationality they were.
    As for the Irish thing, it's not like we would benefit if we all spoke Irish. And how come no other countrys are picked on for speaking english??

ok then, if your born in ireland, then your irish.
    if you were not born here then your not irish.
    </font>

Right, so if you were born in Ireland and then you and your parents emigrate to Khartoum and spend the rest of your life there, you're Irish. Conversely, if you were born on the ferry in the middle of the Irish Sea on the way from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, and though you live your entire life in Ireland, you're not Irish. Makes perfect sense.

I'm not being argumentative just for the sake of it. The point I'm trying to make is that nationality is a nebulous concept at the best of times, and laying down hard and fast rules is rarely a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Doctúir (edited 18-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 adamhh232606

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I agree I think it should be an option after junior cert, If you don't enjoy
    it, It can be an incredibly difficult subject. Of course there is the cultural
    element but I think it should be a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Then maths should be an option. And so should english. So should every subject. People should just got on with it. If you give kids options to do something or not to do it, the majority go for not doing it.

Doing Irish in school won't kill you, do you any harm. I think the education system has gotten much to soft. Much more worries about not offending children than teaching them anything.

• Advertisement

Wow! a nine year old thread, would have been better off starting a new one! ;)

Advertisement