Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Any advise or crtisism welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What percentage of your max is that?

What percentage of your max is that?

It's calculated off of 90% of my 1RM. That squat was 75% of my 90

Hard to tell from angle but def looks like depth is there. One thing I'd say is that you should get in the habit of getting under the bar and treating the unracking like a rep of some sort and not a technicality before the squats.

Also, it's well inside you but you need to hit that squat with more intent. The lockout is slow. I say that as someone that needs to remind myself of it everytime so I'm saying it from experience. Drive that bar up out of the hole...push the hips through with force as you lock put.

It's about the intent. Don't just put enough force in to squat 87.5 for 3. Drive through every part of it.

Nothing critical at all - it's just a mindset change that will help you once the weight climbs us

• Advertisement

Great advice Alf thanks. Thanks the kind of stuff I'm looking to hear. So with intent you mean basically drive it up faster and be more explosive ?

Great advice Alf thanks. Thanks the kind of stuff I'm looking to hear. So with intent you mean basically drive it up faster and be more explosive ?

Exactly. It's easier to think of when you're benching - you basically push the bar away from you as hard as you can (without compromising form) and the same applies.

If your squatting 87.5, push through as hard as you can. You're imparting more force. If the bar is 87.5, don't just come out of the hole as if you have 87.5 on your back. Do it as hard as you can, ie drive it with 175kg of force and not just half that. It's the intent and it sets you up for heavier lifts.

Bit ain't nothing wrong with what anything in the video. Looked smooth.

Sound advice. Thank you

Sound advice. Thank you

I just need to keep following it myself now! :)

Week 2 deadlift
    107.3 x 3
    125 x 3
    140x 3 (+7) video

RDL 3x10 @ 105

Hip thrust 3x10 @ 120

Leg curl @ 36.5 10,10,8

Back extension 3x10 @ 115

2 min plank

DL felt grand. Moved well and if I really pushed I'd have got 3. Video to follow.

On hip thrusts, i upped the weight by 20kg but these still felt easy so I'll add another 20 next week.

Still unsure about the back extension machine.

Video is 140 x 10. As usual, any advice or criticisms more than welcome.
    Dam video better work this time
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHhCBhl_OwM

Edit... not my choice of music

• Advertisement

Cycle 1
    Bench press week 2
    55 x 3
    62.5 x 3
    70 x 3 (+6)

Pull ups 8,8,7

Dips 3x8 (+20kg)

Shrugs 3 x 15 @ 110

Incline DB press 3x10 @16

Triceps/biceps

Bench wasn't too bad. Last 2 reps were hard. I hadn't a hope of another rep. Luckily the safety bars suit my size. If I ever fail they hold the weight 2mm from my neck.

Pull ups are getting there slowly. Still a slight niggle in my left elbow that's maybe taking 1 rep away on each set.

Shrugs we're shrugs. Grand

Dips are becoming challenging now. 20kg added is proving a good test. I'll stick with that weight for a while till it gets a bit easier.

Incline bench got scrapped. Fukin smith machine. Only good for hanging clothes on. I had pain in my rotator cuff so I switched to incline DB press instead. Grand

Some light curls at the end. Elbow was a bit sore on the first set. Loosened up and was perfect at the end.

Squat
    Cycle 1 week 3
    Toe squats
    80 x 5
    92.5 x 3
    102.5 x 1 (+9)

Front squat 3 x 8 @70kg

Leg press 3 x 8 @130kg

Calf raise 3 x 20 @130kg

Difene, 1 tablet x 1 glass of water

Toe squats felt grand. I may read more about them to make sure I'm getting the most out of them.

For warms ups I was mixing high bar and still trying low bar. I shouldn't have done that. Messed around with form and the main lifts just felt weird at high bar.

First 2 sets felt heavier than they should but took Alfs advice and blasted out 10 @102.5 which is a huge PB for me considering 90 was my 1RM not that long ago.

Front squats were tough but doable.

Leg press was tough too but got through them and calf raises.

After I stood up from the leg press machine I felt a horrible sharp pain shoot down from my lower back to numbness in my toes.

Still stretching and rolling here now, along with difene so hopefully all ok tomorrow.

Toe squats felt grand. I may read more about them to make sure I'm getting the most out of them.

Since they were brought to the forum via Hanley, here's his blog on toe squats:

http://revolutionfitness.ie/squat-warm-youll-ever-need/

OHP cycle 1 week 3
    Warm ups
    37.5 x 5
    42.5 x 3
    47.5 x 1 (+9)
    55 x 1

Lat pulldown 3 x 8 @75kg

Seated barbell press 3 x 8 @37.5kg

DB row 3 x 8 @34kg

Plate front raise 3 x 10 @15kg

Facepulls 3 x 10 @ 27kg

Light curls

It's not often you see progress in ohp. Today I really surprised myself. I sooo wasn't expect to get 10 reps @47.5kg.
    I even did an extra rep at my 1RM of 55 just to see how it felt. Surprisingly easy was the answer. Mark ripitoe tutorial helped out a lot.

Really happy with the lat pulldowns. I'm in Unchartered water now as I never did this kind of weight with these

Elbow healing nicely

Deadlift cycle 1 week 3
    Warm ups
    117.5 x 5
    132.5 x 3
    147.5 x 1 ( +7 )

RDL 3 x 8 @100kg

Hip thrust 3 x 10 @140kg

Leg curl @36.5 10,10,9

Calf raise 3 x 20 @80kg

I made a few adjustments today on DL. Shins tore cause of it. Felt a little more awkward but happy enough with 8 reps. Probably had a sloppy 2 left in the tank.

Hip thrust still needs to be heavier

Added in calf raises today. Purely to get bigger calves. No other reason for it but I'm sure it'll help the ankles get more flexible which in turn will help my squat

Do you do any exercises for ankle mobility?

Some static stretching between sets as well.

Do you do any exercises for ankle mobility?

Some static stretching between sets as well.

TBH my main reason for doing them is purely bigger calves. I just thought the movement itself would add to ankle mobility.
    I do stretch between sets sometimes and toe elevated squats too help me. But in general I don't find I have any mobility issues in my ankles.

TBH my main reason for doing them is purely bigger calves.

They probably need more volume to get bigger. It can be a genetic thing as well.

That said, nothing against training calves but just where there might be a more beneficial exercise for the main lift

They probably need more volume to get bigger. It can be a genetic thing as well.

That said, nothing against training calves but just where there might be a more beneficial exercise for the main lift

Would 3 x 20 not be considered high volume?
    I know it's not asssting the main lift. My workout was done and I added these on just to get them done.

Would 3 x 20 not be considered high volume?
    I know it's not asssting the main lift. My workout was done and I added these on just to get them done.

It is but it's once a week. And calves are a hoor to grow. But if it's at the end, fire away.

I have small calfitis. Chronic small calfitis.

• Advertisement

It is but it's once a week. And calves are a hoor to grow. But if it's at the end, fire away.

I have small calfitis. Chronic small calfitis.

Well from today I'd be doing twice a week. I also superset them with leg press when I'm doing squat day. I just want them a bit bigger cause they're like drain pipes at the minute :)

Bench press cycle 1 week 3
    Warm ups
    57.5 x 5
    65 x 3
    72.5 x 1 (+5)

Pull ups 8,8,7

Dips +20kg. 3 x 8

Shrugs 3 x 15 @80kg

DB incline press 3 x 10 @18

Triceps/biceps

Side plank bends

Bench felt good today up to the final 3 reps then the bar started to move around and I lost focus. I was also trying ripitoes technique so maybe it just needs more time but it felt promising early on.

Pull ups were humbling once again

Dropped the weight on shrugs cause I've a niggle between my shoulder blades

Dips were tough

Squat cycle 2 week 1

Toe squats

72.5 x 5
    85 x 5
    95 x 5 (+7)

RDL 3 x 8 @100kg

BB one leg lunge 3 x 5 @40kg

Leg curl 3 x 10 @31.5

Calf raises 3x20 @100kg
    S/s
    Curls 3x12 @21kg

Leg raises 3x12

Mixed up the assstance excersises a bit for the second cycle.
    I must be getting stronger cause it was easier to do 12 @95 today than it was to do 12@92.5 a few weeks ago
    A struggle, not pretty but got it done. Stationary Lunges are a first so starting light. They felt awkward but I'm sure they'll improve with practice

Ohp cycle 2 week 1

Warm ups
    35 x 5
    40 x 5
    45 x 5 (+5)

Lat pulldown 3 x 8 @85kg

Seated ohp 3 x 8 @40kg

Seated cable row 3 x 10@65

Shrugs 4 x 15 @105

Db rev fly 3 x 15 @10kg db

Side plank raises

Leg raises

Twas frustrating missing so many days but glad to be back at it.
    Today was tough with anything pressing. Twing in my right rotator cuff was bothering me but it was more bad technique that messed me around on the last set. It was ugly to look at.

Really happy with lat pulldowns. I'd say I've another 5 to jump up before it all levels out

Seated ohp was a struggle and that twing only eased off on the last set
    Everything else was grand.

Deadlift cycle 2 week 1

105 x 5
    120 x 5
    135 x 5 (+5)

Front squat 3 x 8 @75kg

Hip thrust 3 x 10 @150kg

Leg extension 3 x 15 @47.5kg

Calf raise 3 x 20 @100kg

I went in today doubting myself as I had an awful lower back ache, so much so that I was contemplating skipping today. Glad I didn't cause I felt grand after DL warmups.

I easily had 3 left in the last set and the main reason I stopped was because I needed to fart, my legs were getting tired and I was afraid if I went too hard then...... I'd rather it think about it.

Front squat was lovely for a change, probably cause I wasn't doing them after back squats like I always do.

Hip thrust becoming a challenge but the weight can still go higher

Leg extensions and calf raise had me nervous walking down the stairs.

I easily had 3 left in the last set and the main reason I stopped was because I needed to fart

Then fart and get the reps!

Then fart and get the reps!

Could've been a shart so couldn't afford to take the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Quality stuff mate. I mean, as excuses go not wanting to blow streams of liquid sh*t all over the platform is probably one of the most acceptable ones.

I was watching a few videos that said that if you're hitting 10 odd reps for the last set your maxes are off but I'm not at all convinced. For me it's the starting light that makes this program so effective. I imagine they'll soon get heavy.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Quality stuff mate. I mean, as excuses go not wanting to blow streams of liquid sh*t all over the platform is probably one of the most acceptable ones.

I was watching a few videos that said that if you're hitting 10 odd reps for the last set your maxes are off but I'm not at all convinced. For me it's the starting light that makes this program so effective. I imagine they'll soon get heavy.

I tested for 170 in the same session as the first time I did conventional deadlifts. I'm sure it's gone up so maybe my numbers are off a bit.
    But yes building up from light is having its benefits. I can see the progress and know it's working and like yourself, is say I'll stick to this program for a long time

• Advertisement

Bench press cycle 2 week 1

52.5 x 5
    60 x 5
    67.5 x 5 (+7)

Pull ups 3 x 8 :)

Dips +20 9,8,8

Shrugs 3x15 @105kg

Incline DB bench pres @20kg's 10,10,6

Tricep pulldown 4 x 12 @21kg

Core x 3

Had a friend around last night and some alcohol was consumed. With 3 cans of Guinness and 4.5 hours sleep I wasn't even expecting to get up at 5.30. But alarm went off and I felt fresh enough.

Bench felt great. I really focussed on controlling the bar and surprised myself with 12 reps. No.12 was the kind of rep where youre watching the bar go up but you don't know how it's moving cause your arms are dead.

Finally got 3x8 pull ups. I'd be happy to repeat that next time

Dips were hard but got an extra rep at the start

Shrugs were for the beach in 2 weeks

Happy to finally be using 20's for pressing

No biceps today cause my Elbow is so close to being perfect that I didn't want to jinx it for the sake of a pump.

Moral of the story....Guinness gives you strength, I wish

Advertisement