Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Squat
    60x4
    80x3
    100x2
    110x2
    115x1
    120x1
    125 x fail

RDL 3x5 @ 120kg

Lat pulldowns @60kg 12,12,12,12 :)

Leg extension @ 55kg 4x12

Cable row 3x12 @65

Calf raise 3x20 @100kg

This was my last squat day on the current program. I decided to do less reps and up the weight to remind my body what heavier weight felt like again. I don't want to be in too much shock starting 5/3/1. Failed at 125 but not too disappointed.
    I tried toes elevated on plates for the warm up sets. Definatley felt better after doing these and I'll use them for every squat warm up in future.

Finally got 4 sets of 12 in the lat pulldowns. Yippee. But it's probably down to the cut in reps in RDL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Another toe squat convert! Knees out :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    Another toe squat convert! Knees out :D

Felt weird at first but as the weight increased I could feel the benifits

Bench
    55kg 12,12,9
    65 x2
    70x2
    75x1

Shrugs 4x12 @140
    S/s
    Dips +10 10,10,9,8

Db incline press @16kg 12,12,12,12 :)

Cable fly 5x10 @30lbs
    S/s
    Rev db fly 5x15 @10kg

Tricep pulldowns 5x12

Had a great nights sleep and went in today confident I'd get the 4x12 on the bench. But i didn't feel strong and struggled for 9 on set 3. So I scrapped it, went heavier for a few sets.
    I was happy enough that I got all reps finally on the db press though. Shrugs felt fairly easy at 140 which surprised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The benching is for volume. If you can't make the reps, drop back the weight and see it out. Not up the weight and do a couple of reps. That just works the ego :)

• Advertisement

The benching is for volume. If you can't make the reps, drop back the weight and see it out. Not up the weight and do a couple of reps. That just works the ego :)

True yes. But I needed to work on my ego as it's not big enough yet.
    No but seriously, it only annoyed me cause it's the last bench session of this program and I was short one rep on the last workout. I was sure I'd get it today. When I knew it wasn't happening I just went heavier to let my body feel the heavier weights/low reps again cause I'm starting 5/3/1 in a few days.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    True yes. But I needed to work on my ego as it's not big enough yet.
    No but seriously, it only annoyed me cause it's the last bench session of this program and I was short one rep on the last workout. I was sure I'd get it today. When I knew it wasn't happening I just went heavier to let my body feel the heavier weights/low reps again cause I'm starting 5/3/1 in a few days.

Fair enough. Wasn't sure if you'd started new program yet. Lean ar aghaidh :)

Fair enough. Wasn't sure if you'd started new program yet. Lean ar aghaidh :)

You'll know I've started the new program when you see me giving out about How heavy everything is

Day 1 of 5/3/1

Squat
    Bar x 10
    40 x 5
    60 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    92.5 x 5 (+7)

Front squat
    3 x 8 @ 60kg

Leg press
    3 x 8 @ 120kg
    S/s
    Calf raise 3 x 20 same weight

Leg extension 3 x 15 @45kg

Leg raise 3x10
    Side bends 20kg plate 3 x 15

Handy enough main set. Toes elaveted up as far as 60kg. Said I'd go with front squats cause it's been a while. Felt good too. Didn't feel like I'd done much until I was walking over to do leg raises and my legs nearly buckled under me.
    Starting a deficit today cause I'm goin to Spain at the end of April. Pity cause I was enjoying the bulk.

OHP

Bar x 10
    Bar x 10
    32.5 x 5
    37.5 x 5
    42.5 x 5 (+6)

Lat pulldown @65kg 3x8

Seated ohp @30kg 4x8

Db row 34kg db 3x8

Plate raise 15kg 3x10

Facepull 25kg 3x10

Ball roll ins core thingy 3x15

Ohp were grand. Easy till the end. Usual story. All my back work is starting to pay off. I would've struggled a while back doing 65's on lat pulldown. It was easy today. Looking forward to moving up to 70

• Advertisement

Deadlift
    60 x 10
    70 x 8
    100 x 5
    117.5 x 5
    132.5 x 5 (+8)

RDL 3x8 @ 100kg

Hip thrust 3x10 @ 100kg

Leg curl 3x10. @ 31.5kg

Back extension 3x10 @ 100

Plank 2 x 2mins

DL were grand except for the last 4. Flutes nearly fell apart.

Hip thrust was too light. Serious jump in weight next week

It was my first time to do back extensions. It's a weird machine and I'm not sure if it's working my back at all compared to RDL's

Planks were lovely

Flutes nearly fell apart.

:eek: :eek: :(

:eek: :eek: :(

Ye I put that in there for a bit of comic relief

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I usually leave my flutes in the gym bag to avoid that happening on deadlift day.

Bench press week 1
    Warm ups
    5 x 50
    5 x 57.5
    5 x 65 ( + 5 )

Chin ups BW 8,7,7

Dips +15kg 3 x 8

Shrugs 3 x 15 @ 105

Smith machine incline bench
    3 x 10 @40 on bar

Triceps/biceps 3x15 light

Side plank bends 3x12

I like the + at the end of the main lifts cause it's pretty humbling.

Chin ups still a bitch

Still madly in love with my dips belt. I actually look forward to dipping with weight attached to my body. Never thought I'd say that.

Dropped the weight on shrugs to make sure I was getting full movement on them

I used the smith machine for incline bench cause I tried it with the standard bench and couldn't keep steady or get the hang of it at all. I was all over the place.

Started back lightly on curls today. I had been off them for a few weeks because of a dodgy elbow. It felt grand thankfully but I'll stay light for a while on them.

Ages since I did these ab excersises. Didn't have any rest on them. It was nice to feel that horrible burn in the midsection once again

Week 2
    Toe squat
    5 x 40
    5 x 50
    5 x 60

Main lift
    75 x 3
    87.5 x 3
    97.5 x 3 ( + 7 )

Front squat 3 x 8 @ 65kg

Leg press 3 x 8 @130kg
    S/s
    Calf raise 3x15 @130

Leg extension 3 x 15 @ 47.5kg

Leg raise 3x10
    Ab wheel rollout 3x10

Toes elevated felt great today. So much so that I was contemplating doing the main lifts with toes up. Not sure if I should've so I didn't chance it.

Main lifts felt grand. Video to follow. I had 1 left in the tank for the last set but it wasn't going to be pretty so I left it.

Front squat felt good.

Leg press was tough but I can see it paying off long term the heavier I go.

Leg extensions nearly killed me. Really struggled to finish them.

Below is my first attempt at videoing a lift. Placement of the towel could've been better. Any advise or criticisms more than welcome.

87.5 x 3 in video

Edit. Video won't upload. Typical

What way do you have your feet on the leg press 'plate'?

What way do you have your feet on the leg press 'plate'?

I place the my entire foot on it and try to mimick a squatting position and push from the heel. Is that right or wrong?

I place the my entire foot on it and try to mimick a squatting position and push from the heel. Is that right or wrong?

No, that's spot on. There are different ways to use them but if you want to use it for your squat, you want to have your feet like they would be on the ground in a squat and then just get the ROM you would in a squat.

No, that's spot on. There are different ways to use them but if you want to use it for your squat, you want to have your feet like they would be on the ground in a squat and then just get the ROM you would in a squat.

Ye that's exactly what I do. And while I'm there I do the calf raises in between, obviously with different foot position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Same thing happened to me on the last set of squats, it's hard to keep form when you're b*llocksed from doing loads of reps and at heavier weights that can get dodgy enough like.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me on the last set of squats, it's hard to keep form when you're b*llocksed from doing loads of reps and at heavier weights that can get dodgy enough like.

True. I'll gladly sacrifice a rep or two to prevent potential injury

No harm leaving a rep in the tank. Means you've pushed it close to failure and you'll probably get more out of the subsequent leg work than you would have if you did that extra rep on the squats

This video is unavailable.

This video is unavailable.

It's working on my side. Sorry don't know what else to do with it

Just said your form was wonky and wouldn't play ;)

Ah no, just wouldn't work again. Probably just a glitch in the matrix

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Me either

• Advertisement

Ohp
    Warm ups
    35kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 3 (+4)

Lat pulldown
    3 x 8 @70kg

Seated ohp
    3 x 8 @35kg

DB Row
    3 x 8 @34kg db

Plate raise
    3 x 10 @15kg

Facepulls
    3 x 10 @27kg

Ball roll ins on feet thingys 3 x 15
    2 1 min planks

Ohp was a bit tougher today. Had a niggle in my right shoulder, paused for too long on rep 7, lost my momentum and power. Prob had 2 left in me, it's hard to know sometimes.

Lat pulldowns were good. Can still go heavier

It's time to buy fractional plates

Advertisement