Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I laughed out loud ! Love south park so much :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really curious to see what the gameplay is like for this. Everything so far makes it look like one of those interactive cartoon adventures type games from the 90s rather than an RPG. I'm still hoping this will be decent owing to Parker & Stone.

There's a 7 minute gameplay vid on the first page of this thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd love to play this only the combat looks all JRPG and that will bore and frustrate me to tears. Pity, I was looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I liked the idea of this game, but every thing I have seen of it has made me cautious, something I can't quiet place my finger on isn't sitting well with me about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

It all looks a bit masturbatory to me tbh. I haven't really enjoyed South Park in a long time though. The formula is too old and repetitive for me now. It's just 'lol popculture reference'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

snausages wrote: »
    It all looks a bit masturbatory to me tbh. I haven't really enjoyed South Park in a long time though. The formula is too old and repetitive for me now. It's just 'lol popculture reference'.

I think you have South Park confused with Family Guy.

I reckon this looks great, seems to be a legit RPG in the Japanese style if you will. Hopefully the combat is well designed and there is plenty of material in it, if so it could be a belter.

Valentine1 wrote: »
    I think you have South Park confused with Family Guy.

They're both pretty much the same to me imo.

Can anyone honestly say that the console wars trilogy will still be funny when GoT isn't as currently fashionable as it now is and we're on the PS5 or whatever? Or the World War Zimmerman episode (which wasn't really that funny anyway)? I love how the game looks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

South Park is all about pop culture. They always do an episode on the flavour of the week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely that's a bit like asking if reeling in the years will still be interesting in 30 years time. they're slices of life at the time they were created, younger generations might not get all the references if it's being repeated in 2034 but then we probably don't get loads of subtle biblical references in various old movies either since it was bet into us a lot less than previous generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

While the pop-culture references may no longer be remembered in the future, the satire will still be the same. For example, in the World War Zimmerman episode, people may forget all about World War Z, but the aspects about racism will still be relevant. There's nearly always a pop-culture and a satire side to South Park episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Whats the pc requirements?

I didn't see any on steam the other day

Pre-sale is up on steam with a release date of 7 Mar 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Trophies/cheevos are out, sound gas out!

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/south-park-the-stick-of-truth/achievements/
    • New Kid On The Block - Join The KKK
    • Gingivitis - Let Gingers bite you 3 times without blocking
    • Are We Cool? - Find Jesus while playing as a Jew
    • Irritable Bowels - **** your pants during a boss battle
    • Heisenberg - Defeat the Meth Tweekers while wearing the Evil Cartman goatee and the bald cap
    • Chinpokolypse - Collect all the Chinpokomon
    • Canadian handshake - Fart on people 100 times
    • You bastards! - Have Kenny Die 10 times in battle over the course of the game

I love South Park but this wasn't on my radar at all. That's changed after reading the trophy list, someare hillarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

First 13 minutes Gameplay

Looks great

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This is either going to be GOTY contender or a big pile of crap. Either way I'm excited :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

****ing hate that kind of combat but everything else about it looks incredible

i'll suffer through the combat for it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

****ing hate that kind of combat but everything else about it looks incredible

i'll suffer through the combat for it

Not a big fan of it either but I think it makes sense for them to use it since the're parodying games that do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well if it weren't for the UI prompts that could easily have passed for a TV episode of South Park. A decent, funny episode at that - I'm definitely cautiously hopeful about this.

As for the combat, I've always enjoyed turn-based RPG fisticuffs, so I've absolutely no problem playing through the battles :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Few previews out of the 1st 2 and a half hours. sounds very positive.

I was thinking this might be short and linear but the guy says in 2 and a half hours he didn't even finish the first main quest. He spent his time wondering around talking to SP characters and exploring houses that are full of fanfare.

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2014/02/14/could-south-park-the-stick-of-truth-be-the-best-licensed-game-ever

Ok, the first few previews have me tumescent with anticipation in spite of my earlier gripes. It's like Earthbound, but with poo (not the character).

I'm gonna step away from all this until I play it. I don't want to ruin it with misguided expectation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm gonna step away from all this until I play it. I don't want to ruin it with misguided expectation

Exactly. I watched 3 minutes of that clip and I had seen enough. I'm getting it, and I don't want to be spoiled.

It really does look like an episode. It looks so fake! Like one of those parodies people do to make tv shows look like games....except this is real! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well if it weren't for the UI prompts that could easily have passed for a TV episode of South Park
    That's what still concerns me. Interactive movies are so 1990s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reekwind wrote: »
    That's what still concerns me. Interactive movies are so 1990s

Ah now, we're a long way from Night Trap ;) There's still clearly a game behind it all, just looks like they integrated with the show really well. Equally, we're a long way from South Park 64

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

After watching the first 13 minutes of gameplay I think this game is going to be awesome... I for 1 can not wait for it to be released...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah now, we're a long way from Night Trap ;) There's still clearly a game behind it all, just looks like they integrated with the show really well. Equally, we're a long way from South Park 64

Has there ever been a decent South Park game? Still, my optimism for this is rising all the time. Could be the last game I buy for the ol' 360.

The problem I see though is like a lot of the recent episodes the humour is bound to become really old after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Cartman doing the commentary will get annoying very fast imo, game looks great though.

Advertisement