Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If they can make a stellar game as well as brilliant TV shows, hugely successful comedy films and bloody amazing musicals as well... **** those guys.

It's not fair that that much talent is concentrated in such a small space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Still trying to decide whether to get this on PC or PS3.

Buying in Australia so would be $80 AUD for CE on PS3 or $61 for the CE on PC via Steam.

I'd probably prefer it on PC but can't resist the bigger screen/comfort of the couch..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

irishmover wrote: »

I'd probably prefer it on PC but can't resist the bigger screen/comfort of the couch..

No hdmi cables in Aus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No hdmi cables in Aus?

Yeh but I only have my laptop over here with me.. Would have to go out and buy a keyboard.. I don't like cheap keyboards either. Left my keysonic one back in Ireland :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Now that I've seen that intro, I'm really interested again, but the combat is going to annoy me so much :S Decisions decisions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

South Park: The Stick of Truth reportedly has seven censored scenes in Europe, The Middle East and Africa.

UPDATE: our local Ubisoft rep has been in touch to say that the censorship is purely a marketing decision and that the scenes are also censored in the UK.

ORIGINAL STORY: BT.com reports that the scenes in question have been replaced with on-screen text that describes what’s happening behind the censorship.

The site adds that documentation sent with its review copy confirms that a mini-game involving a doctor performing an abortion on the player and again with the player performing the same procedure on Randy Marsh, as well as five anal probe scenes have been censored.

The accompanying literature adds, “Seven scenes of about 20 seconds each are censored in the EMEA console versions of South Park: The Stick of Truth. The decision to cut this content from the game was made by Ubisoft EMEA.”

AGB has scanned the document in full here.

South Park: The Stick of Truth appeared to remain intact in the UK, where it bears a PEGI 18 rating. We’re waiting to hear from Ubisoft on the matter.

Meanwhile; the Australian edition also has anal probe scenes edited out.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/25/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-has-7-censored-scenes-in-europe-report/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well that's a complete load of arse.

I'll be getting mine from the US so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I'll be getting mine from the US so.

agreed
    nothing like seeing a big lovely mans arse on my 52inch screen
    yummm :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You know there's something seriously wrong when the American version is less censored than the European version...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I thought we left this censorship rubbish behind us

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Or a lack of arse even.

It's going to be so much effort to get someone to pick it up for me 12 miles away for 20 quid less than I'd pay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    agreed
    nothing like seeing a big lovely mans arse on my 52inch screen
    yummm :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The review guide, which Kotaku has screenshot from, says it's only the console versions that got censored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Spear wrote: »
    The review guide, which Kotaku has screenshot from, says it's only the console versions that got censored.

I'm hoping some modder can find a way round this. They did it with GTA: San Andreas.
    I might be hoping for too much but I was wondering if anyone here knows how resource intensive this is as I'd be using my laptop if I bought it. It handled Mass Effect 3 so I've my fingers crossed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Spear wrote: »

Yep the PC version will be uncensored which is good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

It's a terrible world we live in when grown adults can't even freely choose to watch a cartoon man's anus get aggressively violated by alien dildos. For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Big Knox wrote: »
    Yep the PC version will be uncensored which is good news.
    Phew was worried there for a second, PC gaming master race!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grimebox wrote: »
    I thought we left this censorship rubbish behind us

Germany didn't. Blame them.

Would everyone not be ordering from a UK retailer anyway?

• Advertisement

Would everyone not be ordering from a UK retailer anyway?

Ubisoft confirmed that the UK console version would be censored as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Germany didn't. Blame them.
    Shouldn't we be blaming Canada?

Xenji wrote: »
    Ubisoft confirmed that the UK console version would be censored as well.

Ah you're ****ting me. VGP it is then.

Ah you're ****ting me. VGP it is then.

You will get it cheaper with them anyway, but with a 7 day wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just cancelled my pre-order. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's Germany's fault that some games are censored in Germany, it's Ubisoft fault that it's altered in Ireland.

Not buying it any more, and not getting the PC version either. I hope it's sell so poorly that they really regret ****ing over potential customers to reduced their localization costs.

Think people are over reacting slightly. Sure the censoring is annoying but it's not like it'll be hard to get your hands on an unrated copy and incredibly easy to do so if you've a PC. The cost of distributing different versions of the game in different regions was obviously factored in by Ubisoft and the hassle wasn't worth it. The whole lets boycott it thing is stupid. We never see similar campaigns when a film is cut here because the UK demanded cuts and as such they were forced upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Anal probing and abortions. Hardly gaming nirvana we're missing out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I cancelled my Amazon order and put one through VGP.ca. Don't mind waiting the extra week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not playing a game you want to play at all because around two minutes of content has been censored seems a bit excessive? It's a shame it has been censored (although there are times when I've kind of wished the ever adolescent Parker and Stone would censor themselves - this content sounds like it could well fit in that category), but especially since there's no shortage of ways to play the full thing anyway (region free huzzah!) it all seems like an overreaction. Buying it from the US or on PC makes as much of a statement as not buying it at all, and you're not denying yourself something you want to play.

And scenes of abortion are quite a contentious area, so I'm not surprised that's been cut for EMEA territories. In fact, Ireland would have outlawed anything that used the 'a' word more recently than we'd care to admit.

Advertisement