Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5/3/1 for Middle aged Fat Guys!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

18/03/2010

Bench Press

Bar x 10
    40 x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 2
    100 x 1
    115 x 1 Paused

90 x 5 x 3

Chest supported rows - 3 sets of 10 with 100, 110, 120

Wanted to test out my opener with a pause. Felt ok - probably should have done more of this before now though :o

Looking forward to Tullamore :D

Friday 19/03/10

Squats

Bar x 10
    40 x 5
    60 x 1
    80 x 1
    100 x 1
    120 x 1
    130 x 1
    145 x 1 x 2

Just worked up to my opener. Had to take it twice as my spotters said I didn't have the depth on the first one - got it the 2nd time :)

The next time I touch a bar will be in Tullamore....

I was reading some stuff on the Westside Barbell site and found these two statements in Louie's latest article (Oct 2009)

"After reaching your near potential in the deadlift, it is very hard to increase it. But I feel most lifters never reach their real potential. Why? You can buy a better bench with a bench shirt and a better squat with a squat suit, but you have to really train to be a good deadlifter"

and

"There used to be a saying, and a true one, that went like this, “The meet does not start until the bar touches the floor.” But that was before you could get 300 pounds out of your bench shirt"

I got the impression that he was almost yearning for the old days before powerlifting gear :)

IDFPA National Championships (27/03/2010)

Squat

I arrived at Dolan’s Gym at 8.40am and weighed in at 99.5 kilos. This was perfect as I was competing in the Masters 1 under 100 kilo class. I was told the first 3 flights were being fully completed before the 100kg and the 110 kg class started so I wouldn’t start until 3pm.

I prepared myself mentally for this and settled in to watch the lifters in the lighter weight classes. As it turned out it was after 5pm before I started lifting. My opening squat was 140. This is a weight I have done 6 reps with in training. I walked up to the bar, took the weight out and stepped back. I waited for the squat command and went down and promptly fell on my ass :eek:

I was in a state of shock and couldn’t understand what had happened. I had to figure it out fast though, as I needed to give my second attempt into the officials. Rob advised me to go 140 again to get my confidence back. This was good advice, but I walked up to the table and heard myself saying 155!

This was the most nerve-wracking lift of my short career. When I walked out from the rack with the bar on my back I forced myself to stop and think. This seemed to do the trick as I nailed the lift and got three whites. I was so relieved and drained that I felt like going home right there.

I pulled myself together and called for 160 on my 3rd lift and nailed it again – 3 whites!

Bench Press

This was a bit of a disaster to be honest. My best competition bench was 120 and my best gym bench was 125 (touch and go style). This somehow led me to the strategy of 110, 125, whatever!

As it turned out this was a deeply flawed plan :o

The plan didn’t take into account the aforementioned squats! I hit the opener easily – 3 whites! Attempt 2 – I barely got the 125 off my chest and that was it. The 3rd attempt was even worse. I learned a lot about competition benching, but I won't bore you with the details :D

• Advertisement

Deadlift

It was about 7.45pm now and I was losing the will to live! My plan was 170, 185, whatever. I figured I only had two attempts in me! I hit the 170 easily – 3 whites. Next up was 185, a 10kg PR. I grabbed the bar and pulled with everything I had and locked it out. I was shocked to get 2 reds and 1 white (from the front judge). I asked and was told it was for hitching. Looking at the video I honestly don’t see anything wrong with the lift - I welcome comments from more experienced lifters.

I gave in 190 for my 3rd attempt. I was totally drained as I approached the bar. I gripped the bar and pulled. The weight moved slowly off the platform and I honestly thought I wasn’t going to make the lift. Somehow I just kept pulling – I honestly think it was because I had gripped the bar so tightly, I actually couldn’t physically let it go!

I was about 3inches from lockout and shaking like a lunatic for what seemed like an eternity and then I somehow remembered to push my hips through (this probably had something to do with Kevpants shouting "push your hips through") and locked it out! I got the command to lower the bar and waited anxiously for the decision - 2 whites and a red!

I raised my arms in triumph and said silently – thank fcuk that’s over!
    I totalled 460 and thoroughly enjoyed the day (believe it or not). I set many PRs and learned loads about myself and the sport of Powerlifting!

Finally I would like to thank the following people. I have probably left out some and I apologise for this :)

Support on the day – Rob, Hanley, Joe, Anthony, Eric, Kev, Paul.

Transport – My brother Brian (also for the single lifts), Rob for hanging around and bringing me home.

Videos – Rob, and I think Joe filmed me also!

Love and Nutrition – My wife Jennifer – nothing comes out of a jar in our house. Even her pasta sauce starts with onions, garlic and olive oil!

Training – Rob, Hanley, Ger Smith (for showing a nobody how to deadlift in the Hercs one lunchtime – you will never know how much that meant to me), Bill Healy, Mark Fitzgerald, James Fleming. Billy Kidd, Martin and Maurice

My Parents - who were both taken from me recently by that horrible disease cancer. You still give me inspiration and strength!

Finally my two sons Lochlann and Cormac – You two are the reason I do this sh1t!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well done!

Nice squat & dl. Shame the bench didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Paul i dont think anyone expected you to come back that strong after the first squat, i had no clue what to do when i redlighted my first one and i lost it on a technicality, you properly fell on your ass! congratz on the Prs, the bench was a bit crazy but fck it! :P

Thanks a million Boss and Cardio :)

That 155 squat was a huge lift for me - I could have easily fell apart after the fall. This sport teaches you a lot about yourself :D

In hindsight I should have gone 115 on my second bench. I don't think I even had a 120 in me on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Some good lifting from you on saturday paul,it was great to see you come back so strong after that first squat..Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Paul, i have all your lifts on video. I'll put them up on Anthony's youtube page over the next few days; you can download them and edit as you please. i've like 85 videos, so it'll take a good while to sort!

EDIT: Just noticed above that your videos have already been posted. Let me know whether you want me to post up yours...

Thanks Joe. Definitely put them up, might be useful to see things from a slightly different angle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That first squat is the thing youtube legends are made of. Looked very strong all the way thru. 200's just around the corner. Get some talc on your legs next time and pull the legs of your singlet up high so the bar doesn't get caught on it during DL's.

Hanley wrote: »
    That first squat is the thing youtube legends are made of

It was deliberate - I am hoping to launch my career in reality TV :D

Been on the drink every night since the comp :eek:

Better get my act together soon or I will have to change the title of my log to "5/3/1 for Middle aged Fat Alcoholics" :o

Taking a few days off over the Easter to do family stuff with the wife and kids, then it's back to the gym on Wednesday....

First Day Back!

Bench Press

Bar x 10
    40 x 10
    60 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5 x 3

Chest Supported Row Machine - 3 sets of 10 with 80kg

Felt good to be back. The session was easy enough. My plan for the next while is to build up over the next 2 weeks and start an all out 6 week diet phase on Monday 19 May 2010. During this time I will train 3 days a week. Monday - Squat, Wednesday - Bench, Friday - Deadlift.

I won't do 5/3/1 during the diet phase. I will be cutting carbs fairly low and don't really want to worry about setting rep records every session.

I haven't worked out the details yet but I will keep the reps low, in the 3-5 range, and add a bit of weight each week. I will then be on 2 weeks holidays with the wife and kids and plan to get stuck into 5/3/1 training when I get back.

Friday 9/04/2010

Deadlifts

60 x 5 x 2
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5

BB Curls

Bar x 10 x 3

After reading so much about curls and elbow health I have finally decided to give in :)

Deads felt nice and easy

Squats

Bar x 5 x 2
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5 x 3

Bicep Curls

Bar x 10 x 4

Squats and bicep curls - gotta get your priorities right :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Pavel66 wrote: »
    Been on the drink every night since the comp :eek:

You... ROCK!! :D

Bench Press

Bar x 10
    50 x 5
    70 x 5
    90 x 5 x 3

Chest supported Row Machine - 4 sets of 10 with 90kg

90 felt heavy on the bench :(

Legs still quite sore from the squats on Monday - what a baby :o

• Advertisement

Deadlifts

60 x 5 x 2
    80 x 5
    110 x 5
    130 x 5 x 3

Bicep Curls

Bar x 10
    25 x 10 x 3

The 3 sets with 130 was hard enough - a bit more volume than I normally do on deads :)

Starting my low carb diet on Monday. Doing 12 days very low carb then switching to a carb cycling system for 4 weeks. Then I am on 2 weeks holidays with the wife and kids :D

Squats (and Curls!)

Bar x 10
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5 x 2

Bicep Curls

Bar x 10
    30 x 10 x 3

My intention was to do 3 sets of 5 with 110 in the squat, but when I got to the gym I decided 110 just didn't seem right....

I am enjoying being part of the bicep curl craze :D

In other news I started my low carb diet today. The plan is 12 days of very low carb based on the diet in the Shelby Starnes E-book that Brutus gave me. The 13th day will be an all I can eat extravaganza. The 4 weeks after that will be high carb on gym days and low carb on non gym days. After that I don't know.....

I'm just sick of carrying so much fat around :mad:

Bodyweight 99kg

Bench Press

Bar x 10
    50 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    95 x 5 x 2

DB Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 10 with 15kg dumbbells

Tricep Pushdowns - 4 sets of 10

Third day of very low carb diet and still feeling ok :). The 2 sets on the bench with 95 felt quite heavy. All the preceding sets flew up.

First time doing shoulder work since I got injured doing the Military Press in 5/3/1. I had to fight to get the last couple of reps on each set.

I have decided to add some direct tricep work to my routine to see if it helps my bench.

Deadlifts

60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5
    140 x 5

Chest supported rows - 3 sets of 10 with 100kg

Bicep Curls

Bar x 10
    25 x 10
    30 x 10
    35 x 5 x 2

Last set of deads were a bit of struggle. Everything else was grand :)

Squats

Bar x 10
    50 x 5
    70 x 5
    90 x 5
    110 x 3
    130 x 3 x 3

Bicep Curls

Bar x 10
    25 x 10
    30 x 10
    35 x 5
    40 x 5 x 2 PR :D

I'm on the 10th day of my 12 day low carb diet, so I was very happy to get those squats in. I felt a bit nervous before hand as my energy levels are pretty low at the moment. I felt pretty much ok up to day 9, when all of a sudden I was really tired. I presume my muscles are finally glycogen depleted.

Curls are curls

Can't wait for Saturday :D

Bench Press

Bar x 10
    40 x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 3 x 3

Standing DB Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 10 (15kg,17.5kg,17.5kg bells)

3 sets of Tricep Pushdowns

Bodyweight - 97.4kg

I felt solid enough on the bench.

A small increase on the shoulder press from last week - the last few reps of the last set were really ground out.

I thought I would have lost more weight on my low carb run, but 1.6kg is good enough. If I had callipers and knew how to use them I might have a better idea of where I am (something to look into for the future).

I will now switch to high carb on training days and low carb on non training days. I will do this for 4 weeks and see if it results in more fat loss.

Saturday 1/05/2010

Deadlifts and Donuts!

60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 3
    130 x 3
    140 x 3
    150 x 3
    160 x 1

chest supported rows

100 x 10
    110 x 10 x 3

Bicep Curls

Bar x 10
    25 x 10
    30 x 10
    35 x 5
    42.5 x 5
    42.5 x 4 Biceps just died half way through 5th rep :D

Deadlifts felt good up tp 140. 150 x 3 felt heavy and 160 felt very slow :eek:

Did my curls with a powerlifting bar on the weightlifting platform - no shame :D

First day of carbs so celebrated with a post workout feed of donuts and protein shake!

Squats

Bar x 10
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 3
    130 x 3
    140 x 3 x 2
    100 x 10

Chin-ups - 3 x 3

Bicep Curls

Bar x 10
    30 x 10
    40 x 5
    45 x 5

I was happy with the squats - the strength is coming back after the nationals. I used my belt for the first time since then - put it on for 120 up and took it off for the 100 x 10.

• Advertisement

Bench Press

Bar x 10
    50 x 5
    70 x 5
    90 x 5
    105 x 3 x 3

Tricep Pushdowns

20 x 10
    30 x 10
    35 x 10 x 2

I felt sh1te on the bench. The 105 nearly killed me - I even managed to pull a muscle on the outside of my left arm on the last rep.

The numbers on the pushdowns don't mean anything as all machines are different. Just recording them to keep track of progress.

Wanted to do some DB shoulder presses, but ran out of time.

Advertisement