Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

nix wrote: »
    Enjoying it so far, the quests are a lot better than prior game, which was the biggest let down for me in Origins.

What build did everybody go? im focusing on assassin tree at the moment. The poison didnt do as well as i had thought it was going to, maybe gets better further down the tree?

I've only used it on the first level 5 dood hunting me really so far, didnt seem to do much to him :(

When you get the legendary daggers with perk that makes all damage become poison combine with the full snake set your poison damge will go through the roof, very fun build.

Something like this

https://ac-builds.com/build/MFu7OP3Nz/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I initially went with an assassin build, as that's generally my preference, but I found that it wasn't powerful enough to get me through the main game, so I ended up chopping and changing skills dependant on the mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Finished the second Legacy chapter there...meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I finished it there on Sunday, thought it works perfectly well with the story.
    I cannot see what the controversy is all about.
    Probably the same 12 mooks who get upset about everything on twitter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Finished the second Legacy chapter there...meh

Didn't even know the second one was out. I guess I won't be rushing into it :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I finished it there on Sunday, thought it works perfectly well with the story.
    I cannot see what the controversy is all about.
    Probably the same 12 mooks who get upset about everything on twitter :D
    It didn't go down as well as the first to me, I beat The Tempest without killing any of the rest of the order bar one I think :confused:
    tusk wrote: »
    Didn't even know the second one was out. I guess I won't be rushing into it :/

I happened across it on Facebook, went on to have a look and there it was!

It didn't go down as well as the first to me, I beat The Tempest without killing any of the rest of the order bar one I think :confused:

I took them out before I went near her, but I also had to do the fight twice. I don't think I was set up very well with my gear for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I finished the second DLC the other night , wasn't too pleased but certainly not nearly as outraged as some of the internet is about it.

They really did dig a hole though promising BIG SPOILER
    freedom in romance and then railroading you into having a child

Ubisoft posted on Reddit last night that they're going to change some of the dialogue and facial animations in the second DLC to fix people's complaints
    (make it clearer that you can have the Misthios engage in the relationship just to further their bloodline rather than falling in love against your wishes)
    and rename the trophy you get for it (which had also caused some complaints). Not sure if people who've already played it get the chance to redo those missions to make the revised choices or not.

In fairness, whether anyone agrees with the issue people had with it or not, fair play to Ubisoft for going to these lengths to correct the issue rather than just saying there was nothing they could do but they'll try better in the future. I still wouldn't be their biggest fan as a company, but ACOd in general has been a huge step in the right direction for them.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Just thinking about the controversy around the developers overriding the players relationship choices with the DLC storyline, if you go back a few years, Firaxis Games did something similar with the premise of X-Com 2 in that the game follows a storyline that the Aliens won in the original X-Com and the player character was captured. I remember being somewhat cheesed off about this because I actually managed to beat that first game on Classic Ironman and it was quite challenging to do so, but all that effort was ignored. X-Com 2 is probably no where near as popular as Assassins Creed of course but it did not attract any controversy at all for making that choice.

I wonder if the controversy is more to do with the developers overriding a players choice regarding sexual preference/orientation and if they changed any other facet of the players choices it would not have become headline news it has become on gaming sites.

Azza wrote: »
    Just thinking about the controversy around the developers overriding the players relationship choices with the DLC storyline, if you go back a few years, Firaxis Games did something similar with the premise of X-Com 2 in that the game follows a storyline that the Aliens won in the original X-Com and the player character was captured. I remember being somewhat cheesed off about this because I actually managed to beat that first game on Classic Ironman and it was quite challenging to do so, but all that effort was ignored. X-Com 2 is probably no where near as popular as Assassins Creed of course but it did not attract any controversy at all for making that choice.

I wonder if the controversy is more to do with the developers overriding a players choice regarding sexual preference/orientation and if they changed any other facet of the players choices it would not have become headline news it has become on gaming sites.

The fact that it centered around sexual orientation undoubtedly played a huge part in it because of course its something deeply personal to some people and tends to be underrepresented in games, so having the ability to play the game as a character with the sexual orientation you yourself can choose for them was a big thing to some people. But I think it's also partly just that they made such a big deal of it before the games release that to then go back on that was seen as a betrayal of sorts (because again, issues relating to sexual orientation can be deeply personal to people).

I think your own example of Xcom to Xcom 2 is less egregious because ultimately in order to follow a huge story moment from one game to the next, they have to pick one path to follow for the sequel and so some people wouldn't have been happy either way. Whereas with ACOd, this happened in the same game, albeit between the main game and dlc. People were just annoyed there was no clear thought put into the consequences of forcing a choice within the same game (as opposed to a sequel telling you which choice was the canon one).

• Advertisement

I think the bigger issue was the fact they had an achievement / trophy in the DLC when you complete it called "Growing Up". I don't think they meant to infer anything with that but certainly someone didn't stop and think that it might be offensive or insulting to a gay person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Unpopular opinion but I think I preferred origins to this.

Unpopular opinion but I think I preferred origins to this.

How far into it are you?
    Initially I did prefer Origins to Odyssey, for reasons I can't remember, but about 5 hours in, that disappeared and Odyssey became the better game :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    How far into it are you?
    Initially I did prefer Origins to Odyssey, for reasons I can't remember, but about 5 hours in, that disappeared and Odyssey became the better game :)

Platinumed both! Preferred Egypt setting over Greece and origins added to the lore. Odyssey threatened to but with the exception of the
    Atlantis didn't really add anything to the universe.

That's fair enough then, can't force you to like something, just cause I do :)

Loved Egypt myself, hopefully it's revisited soon :)

It's a common enough opinion that I've seen on Reddit. Many do prefer Origins (particularly the setting/map, combat using the shield, skill tree) over Odyssey. Didn't get deep enough into Origins to be able to properly compare them myself, as Odyssey had me hooked straight away whereas I still wasn't into Origins after maybe 4 hours so gave up on it.

I have considered going back and trying it again given how much I did end up enjoying Odyssey, but I think at this stage I'll probably just dip in and out of whatever DLC is released for Odyssey and do whatever side missions I didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Such a massive game - I spent a few hours unlocking the prerequisites for the
    Minotaur fight, but then it was 8 levels above me, and I was getting one shotted, so yeah, had to take time away to level up a bit
    - I'm about 30 hours in, and just about to head for Sparta.

Anyone have an idea when the last few trophies will be released?

Anyone have an idea when the last few trophies will be released?

Theres a fair few yet to come, lost tales of Greece part 7, Legacy of the first blade part 3, and Fate of Atlantis 1-3. So will be spread out over at least 3-4 months at the rate they are dropping content for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Bought this last week i was very on the wall as I did not like Origins at all. I am still not sure what was wrong with it but it never clicked with me and it went back to my pile of shame to never be played again.

But anyway Odyssey got me hocked right away and i have been loveing everything about it the setting story gameplay and the added ship battles remind me so much of black flag!!!.

To me a perfect 9.5 out of 10 game so far but could be a 10 out 10 game once I play it more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Bought this last week i was very on the wall as I did not like Origins at all. I am still not sure what was wrong with it but it never clicked with me and it went back to my pile of shame to never be played again.

But anyway Odyssey got me hocked right away and i have been loveing everything about it the setting story gameplay and the added ship battles remind me so much of black flag!!!.

To me a perfect 9.5 out of 10 game so far but could be a 10 out 10 game once I play it more

Origins has a slow start. I think you should go back to it some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Occono wrote: »

Origins is a great game. It potentially saved the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm not sure how far I am in the game, story-wise, but I'm 14 hours in, Level 15, and am on a mission
    where I have to go to Thermopylai to talk to Herodotos
    . My concern is this game's plot feels a bit rushed.

If you've at least beaten the game, reveal the spoilers.
    Between starting the game and reaching Level 15, (playing as Kassandra) I've found out, within about 10 missions, that;
    My brother Alexios was thrown off a cliff
    Kassandra also fell off the cliff
    My father was not really my father
    My mother knows who my real father is
    Alexios is alive and well
    Alexios is a cult leader and isn't very sound at all at all.
    Kassandra finds out it's Alexios and is in shock

Is this game just nothing but plot twist after plot twist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Occono wrote: »

My time for video games it's getting shorter and shorter as the years go by so I might be lucky someday to get back to Origins.

It might end up staying in my pile of shame that is now turned into a shelf of shame

I'm not sure how far I am in the game, story-wise, but I'm 14 hours in, Level 15, and am on a mission
    where I have to go to Thermopylai to talk to Herodotos
    . My concern is this game's plot feels a bit rushed.

If you've at least beaten the game, reveal the spoilers.
    Between starting the game and reaching Level 15, (playing as Kassandra) I've found out, within about 10 missions, that;
    My brother Alexios was thrown off a cliff
    Kassandra also fell off the cliff
    My father was not really my father
    My mother knows who my real father is
    Alexios is alive and well
    Alexios is a cult leader and isn't very sound at all at all.
    Kassandra finds out it's Alexios and is in shock

Is this game just nothing but plot twist after plot twist?

The first part of the game needs those events in order to set up the three main story arcs of the game. There are still a few twists coming, but the main story will start to slow down somewhat as it becomes more about bringing those stories which have been set up to their conclusions, which will take you up to Level 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished the main game over the weekend - I had been doing them all in tandem, so I had gotten to the last stage of each story arc, and more or less did them one after the other. Very satisfying game - I'm going to spend a bit of time getting to level 50, and then I'm away for 2 weeks, and will probably pick up the DLC then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-updates/344169/this-month-in-assassins-creed-odyssey-february-2019-update

THIS MONTH IN ASSASSIN’S CREED® ODYSSEY – FEBRUARY 2019 UPDATE Check out what's coming to Assassin's Creed Odyssey in February.

THE LOST TALES OF GREECE

A BROTHER'S SEDUCTION

In A Brother's Seduction, you will encounter a waylaid poet who will lead you to the Port of Kechries where you must help two brothers deal with their father's recent passing. Unfortunately, your presence inspires some brotherly rivalry as they compete for your affections, and it falls to you to untangle this family drama.

A brother's seduction - The Lost Tales of Greece

Remember that you'll need to have reached Chapter 5 in Assassin's Creed Odyssey's main path to access all Lost Tales of Greece. Make your way to the Korinthia region and watch out for a quest named "Prodigal Son's Return."

A Brother's Seduction will be available on February 12.

Check out some of the previously released Lost Tales of Greece in our January Monthly Update.

NEW FEATURES

Title Update 1.1.4 will be coming later this month with some highly requested features.

NEW GAME +

We are very excited to announce that New Game + will be introduced with our next Title Update!

As you may expect, this feature will allow you to start a new game while keeping all your hard earned gear, upgrades, abilities, drachmae, mounts, etc. that you've gathered in your previous play through. This is your chance to discover how a different choice can influence your path... or change a story choice to see a different outcome.

To access New Game +, you need to have completed the main Story Arc. A new option in the menu allows you to copy your eligible save game as a New Game +.

Oh and in case you were wondering, of course you'll be able to choose the main protagonist. ;)

LEVEL CAP INCREASE

We will increase the Level cap to 99. With the level increase, you'll also have access to three additional Engraving tiers that can be upgraded at Hephaistos's Workshop and an additional set of Ship improvements.

NEW FAST TRAVEL POINTS

To allow you to traverse Greece faster than ever, we'll be adding an additional set of 22 Fast Travel points to the game. Many of them will be situated near ports to make accessing the Adrestia easier.

ADDITIONAL MERCENARY TIERS AND BENEFITS

Two additional tiers will be added to the Mercenary Ladder. Climb these new ranks for rewards including sweet loot, loads of drachmae, and two additional benefits: 10% more Orichalcum and a higher drop rate of epic gear.

PHOTO MODE FRAMES

To make your pictures fancier then ever, you'll be able to apply frames to your photos as soon as the update drops!

You'll now have a total of 10 frames including an Athenian Theme, a Spartan Theme, the Assassin's Creed Odyssey logo and crest, and more!

ACCESSIBILITY UPDATE

This month we continue our efforts to make Assassin's Creed Odyssey as accessible as possible by adding two more accessibility features in Title Update 1.1.4.

You will be able to alter the background behind dialogue to semi-transparent black, coming with three options:

Off: This will disable the background for subtitles and dialogue. Subtitles: This will enable a background only for subtitles. On: This will enable a background for subtitles and dialogue. In addition, players will be able to change the subtitle size.

NEW ITEMS

WILD BOAR PACK

Charge ahead no matter what with the Wild Boar Character Pack! It contains the Wild Boar gear set, a new mount, and a new legendary weapon.

Alongside the Wild Boar Pack, the goddess of the hunt Artemis as Legendary Lieutenant skin for the Adrestia is now available.

DEEP SEA HUNTER PACK

Are you ready to show your wild side? This all-new Deep Sea Hunter Character pack will let your adversaries know that they would be fools to underestimate you, when it launches later this month!

It contains the Deep Sea Hunter gear set, a new mount, and a new legendary weapon.

If customizing the Adrestia is your kind of thing, the Deep Sea Hunter pack contains a new crew theme, the Teethers, a shark-style figurehead, and a new ship design that will cleave opponents' ships, leaving them helpless in the water!

PHOTO MODE CONTEST: WINTER IN GREECE

The third round of our Photo Mode Contest will start on February 21st with a new theme: Winter in Greece!

Submit your picture between February 21st and February 28th for a chance to win a Spartan Collector's Edition of Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

We are looking forward to seeing another batch of your creations! To participate, log in to the Assassin's Creed Odyssey Photo Mode website and submit your photo in the dedicated tab while the contest is running. For more info, you can have a look at the FAQ.

Meanwhile, you can check out the beautiful photos that won the previous contests!

UPDATE ON ASSASSIN'S CREED® III REMASTERED & ASSASSIN'S CREED® III LIBERATION REMASTERED

Assassin's Creed III Remastered and Assassin's Creed III Liberation Remastered are just about a month away! Re-ignite the revolution as a Master Assassin born of the beauty and brutality of 18th-century America.

The Remastered versions come with improvements, such as new character models, modernized User Interface, a new lighting rendering system, Physically Based Rendering, and 4K & HDR on the Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X and PlayStation®4 Pro computer entertainment system.

Assassin's Creed III Remastered and Assassin's Creed III Liberation Remastered will be available on PlayStation®4 system, Xbox One, and PC on March 29, 2019.

Note that Assassin's Creed III Remastered and Assassin's Creed III Liberation Remastered are included in the Assassin's Creed Odyssey Season Pass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

chrislad wrote: »
    Such a massive game - I spent a few hours unlocking the prerequisites for the
    Minotaur fight, but then it was 8 levels above me, and I was getting one shotted, so yeah, had to take time away to level up a bit
    - I'm about 30 hours in, and just about to head for Sparta.

Those boss fight were a nice touch I thought, I loved the game, must have put close too 100 hours in and have the dlc too come back too as well at some point.

I enjoyed origins as well but this was a far better game.

That's a good quality of life update coming our way.

Besides the next parts of the story, there New Game + which is always a favourite, and adding more fast travel points is a great idea!

I'll struggle to get to level 99 with the new cap for sure. I'm only level 60 with around 200 hours in the game :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement