Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,289 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Even after being told Sonya was based on Ronda, with a side by side picture, I still don't see it.

A bit more like Ronda when compared to Sonya in MKX, especially the shape of her head, but not completely changed to look like Ronda. Kind of a mash between Ronda and MKX Sonya.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    For someone who hasn't played it, I'm assuming I'm misreading this :eek:

I wish you weren't... *shudders* :D

Edit:
    Pics of Sonya from MK11
    15hztw8.jpg

MKX Sonya
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I thought the whole thing with x Assassin's Creed was you were living one your ancestors' memories so wouldn't that by definition mean all of the protagonists are either straight or bi?

Evade wrote: »
    I thought the whole thing with x Assassin's Creed was you were living one your ancestors' memories so wouldn't that by definition mean all of the protagonists are either straight or bi?

That used to be the way, but now there's no genetic link (I think that started in AC Black Flag, where you're just playing as a random Abstergo employee).

Ultimately, it is a series all about lineage, bloodlines and ancestry, and I completely see why they did it. The issue though is how they pushed the idea that they'd never force your character into a relationship in the game, and you could decide which characters to try sleep with, thereby making your character straight/gay/bi/asexual or whatever. They pushed that as a core part of the experience and decision making. Now in the DLC,
    they force your character to have a relationship with a member of the opposite sex and you have a child together, thereby completely reneging on their previous statements.

That's where the issue is. Not "straight people in the DLC". If they hadn't been so adamant about choosing your character's relationships and decisions, there wouldn't have been an issue, or certainly not as much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Penn wrote: »
    No need to ask what option you picked with Alkibiades and the goat then :D

That's tame. I'm just waiting for the Phobos romance DLC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

On the one hand it's dumb game design to have those choices then completely renege on giving the player all those choices in the game.

On the other hand if the creators have a story to tell then they should be allowed tell it even if it doesn't agree with you, that's the nature of art after all. It's like giving out to JK Rowling because you wanted Harry Potter to bone Ron.

It's **** writing and bad game design and don't see it as anything more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah, that's what the issue was. Having straight people in the game :rolleyes:

dh7sxlew7mq11.jpg

(adjust meme as needed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

J. Marston wrote: »
    Who even roleplays gay/straight in AC Odyssey? My Kassandra rides anything with a pulse.

I've rejected everyone when those options come up since it's pointless and makes no difference to the game in any way.

I've rejected everyone when those options come up since it's pointless and makes no difference to the game in any way.

No plot differences, no, but it's just there for comedy which (for the first time in an AC game I can remember) can be pretty good. Like where you accuse a woman of murder, then flirt with her immediately afterwards as she says "You just accused me of murder and you think I will sleep with you?!" as Kassandra responds "Was worth a shot."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I haven't finished the game so nowhere near starting the DLC, but I read that article, and the reason for the kid is explained by the devs themselves, and it's makes 100% sense. Looks like they're fixing the choice, but the outcome will still be the same, and it HAS to be to make sense in the game. Otherwise,
    all the games set after Odyssey would not have happened

This is what happens when devs try to appeal to everyone, story takes a hit. I wish they'd just say at the start of the game "We will give you as much choice as possible, but some choices are pre-determined". All problems solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not played an AC game for a while but if there was no kid then there'd it be no AC odyssey itself either, no direct genetic link to present means no animus connection.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Not played an AC game for a while but if there was no kid then there'd it be no AC odyssey itself either, no direct genetic link to present means no animus connection.

They got rid of that a few games back. The modern day protagonist (in this case Layla) doesn't have to be a descendent of the historical protagonist, and its not believed that she is a descendent of either Kassandra/Alexios or Bayek from the last game. Same way the modern day character in the games before that (Black Flag, Unity, Syndicate) wasn't related to the people whose memories they were reliving in the Animus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They got rid of that a few games back. The modern day protagonist (in this case Layla) doesn't have to be a descendent of the historical protagonist, and its not believed that she is a descendent of either Kassandra/Alexios or Bayek from the last game. Same way the modern day character in the games before that (Black Flag, Unity, Syndicate) wasn't related to the people whose memories they were reliving in the Animus.
    Unless something changed after Black Flag / Rogue, the bloodline still needed to be maintained from the ancestors perspective but following the events of AC3, modern day users of the Animus can relieve the memories of those whom they are not directly related.

The issue here, as Retr0gamer said above, is simply bad writing. The writers painted themselves into a corner and did a poor job of resolving the relationship within the confines of the universe. The Creative Director of the game has acknowledged this and reassured those who voiced their displeasure that their decisions will be respected in the next DLC. Polite nodding and a shuffling of feet is all that's required at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They slowly learned their lesson with the animus crap, its boring and unnecessary. It just made it way more complicated than it needed to be..

Odysseys animus story is the best so for, i can barely recall it, it was so short. In my mind it was "Something something spear, I'm going in", I've only started the game, so hoping thats all it will be..

Great stuff..

Black flag was the last I played that had them using Desmonds dna from blood and saliva still even if it was a different person.

Quick Google tells me they used the actual mummified bodies for origins dna source. So for oddessy they either had a perseved corpse or a descendants sample like all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, the issue isn't who can access the memories, the modern Animus can send anyone into the memories of anyone else, as long as they have the DNA. The DLC issue is because the Kassandra/Alexios bloodline (of which i'm only after learning about recently, so still not 100% on it) needed to be continued throughout history, and allowing players to decided to not have kids would have killed the bloodline, and I'd imagine the every AC game previous to this!

Free choice is fine, but they can't forget that you are reliving memories, so the end result has to be the same, more or less, for everyone who plays the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's a common problem with games that have branching storylines, I remember the furore that happened upon the release of Deus Ex: Invisible War. The first game had several wildly different endings, and the second decided not to choose which one was canon and tried to hybrid all three endings together. It didn't really work, people wanted to have their storyline carried over.

Mass Effect went a different route, and fecked off into a totally different galaxy, leaving before the end of the trilogy. That didn't really work either, pretty much the same reason.

I think it may be better if developers flagged this in advance, i.e. "play the game your way, but when the sequel arrives, we may have to choose which ending is canon"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    (adjust meme as needed)

Maybe we can add it to Ubisoft's hidden diversity brainwashing session they submit their employees to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's a common problem with games that have branching storylines, I remember the furore that happened upon the release of Deus Ex: Invisible War. The first game had several wildly different endings, and the second decided not to choose which one was canon and tried to hybrid all three endings together. It didn't really work, people wanted to have their storyline carried over.

Mass Effect went a different route, and fecked off into a totally different galaxy, leaving before the end of the trilogy. That didn't really work either, pretty much the same reason.

I think it may be better if developers flagged this in advance, i.e. "play the game your way, but when the sequel arrives, we may have to choose which ending is canon"

Or just look at the developer. If it's bioware or Bethesda developed it's going to be poorly written poo.

Don't think this was mentioned but Star Control: Origins is back up on steam. Don't think the lawsuit has any news itself yet.

Varik wrote: »
    Don't think this was mentioned but Star Control: Origins is back up on steam. Don't think the lawsuit has any news itself yet.

Twas. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109173049&postcount=5187

It's still disabled for purchase on GOG as far as I can tell.

Machinima is ded

• Advertisement

Twas. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109173049&postcount=5187

It's still disabled for purchase on GOG as far as I can tell.

Machinima is ded

oops, just saw it pop up on my twitter timeline today.

No big deal.

FALLOUT 76 on meltdown. Copies are being pulled from retail. https://twitter.com/TheQuartering/status/1086805415294308352

Either in prep for going F2P or buried in the desert with E.T. Probably the worst AAA launch of the decade. more links

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm pretty certain i got more entertainment from Fallout 76 from not buying it, than those who did and sank many hours into it..

This is hilarious..

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

nix wrote:
    I'm pretty certain i got more entertainment from Fallout 76 from not buying it, than those who did and sank many hours into it..

I'm totally jaded of YouTubers complaining about games tbh.
    Between that, EA, Blizzard, Assasins Creed & Soulja Boy I've become jaded at how unoriginal most of the content is produced. A lot of cases they are right but it's mainly someone who has little to no interest in the game complaining about it.
    Star Wars & AC Odyssey was the straw that broke the camels back this week. Complaining about a game being cancelled that was being frankensteined from another cancelled game. Odyssey then was people complaining about a character having straight relationship so it produced a kid so they can highly likely tell that child's story which is seems tough for some to accept even when it's blatantly obvious.

Reading the grovelling apology from Ubisoft makes me roll my eyes. You'd swear they stabbed a family member of each customer with the way they're pleading for forgiveness. All because of some poor writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm totally jaded of YouTubers complaining about games tbh.
    Between that, EA, Blizzard, Assasins Creed & Soulja Boy I've become jaded at how unoriginal most of the content is produced. A lot of cases they are right but it's mainly someone who has little to no interest in the game complaining about it.
    Star Wars & AC Odyssey was the straw that broke the camels back this week. Complaining about a game being cancelled that was being frankensteined from another cancelled game. Odyssey then was people complaining about a character having straight relationship so it produced a kid so they can highly likely tell that child's story which is seems tough for some to accept even when it's blatantly obvious.

The SW game wasn't even cancelled. They had a few projects at concept stage and decided to progress a different one. Happens all the time.

They either know very little about the games industry or deliberately misrepresented what happened so they could get clicks from their army of angry 12 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Were the sales figures ever released for Fallout 76?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah, it's even in the name ;)

Probably something will come out in the first week or so of February, all the fiscal Q3 (actual Q4) stuff will be then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nintendo bringing Retro Studios in to reboot the project.

At least we know what they're working on now. :o

Hmm, with regard to the latter...

https://twitter.com/vonkoz/status/1088792920164052992

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement