Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Am I reading this correct or is there a typo in the article?
    “Two people in a two-bed dwelling are not living in overcrowded accommodation. But if a child comes, there are now more people than rooms, so they fall into this cohort.” https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/big-squeeze-is-the-hidden-side-to-our-house-crisis-37272266.html
    What they seem to be saying is that everyone in the family should have their own bedroom. It seems that I’ve been living in cramped, overcrowded conditions all these years and never knew it!

They mean a 1 bed apartment with 2 adults and one child.

A baby sleeping in its parents room is perhaps workable. But as he/she grows up it becomes impractical.

Bear in mind that the 1 bedroom is probably not big enough for 1 double and one single bed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What they seem to be saying is that everyone in the family should have their own bedroom. It seems that I’ve been living in cramped, overcrowded conditions all these years and never knew it!

I 100 percent believe that we have a housing shortage and a homeless crisis but e I can see some things are nuts.

My best friend growing up lived in a private 3 bed house that his parents had a mortgage on. There were 7 kids. 6 boys & one girl. The girl got the box room to herself and the boys had three sets of bunk beds in their room.

As a kid we slept top to tail in the same bed if we had cousins over.

I do think everyone should have their own bed (unless cousins are over) I really don't see what's wrong with several in a room.

Old diesel wrote: »
    They mean a 1 bed apartment with 2 adults and one child.

A baby sleeping in its parents room is perhaps workable. But as he/she grows up it becomes impractical.

Bear in mind that the 1 bedroom is probably not big enough for 1 double and one single bed

There are plenty of working parents in this situation & they stay till as you say becomes impractical

Another thing to throw into the mix is the lease most likely states maximum of two living in the one bed appartment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is a definition of overcrowding in the 1996 Housing Act.
    63.—A house shall for the purposes of this Act be deemed to be overcrowded at any time when the number of persons ordinarily sleeping in the house and the number of rooms therein either—

(a) are such that any two of those persons, being persons of ten years of age or more of opposite sexes and not being persons living together as husband and wife, must sleep in the same room, or

(b) are such that the free air space in any room used as a sleeping apartment, for any person is less than four hundred cubic feet (the height of the room, if it exceeds eight feet, being taken to be eight feet, for the purpose of calculating free air space),

and “overcrowding” shall be construed accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

SF tabling a no confidence vote in Murphy in the coming weeks. Tricky one for FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    SF tabling a no confidence vote in Murphy in the coming weeks. Tricky one for FF.

Not really.

FF will see it as a fantastic opportunity to bash SF about

Responsible Governance.

Abstaining from Westminster.

Stormount not running.

The latter two have nothing to do with the motion but SF bashing usually works best when you introduce stuff that's got nothing to do with the original topic.

That way the original topic gets forgotten and the focus for the 80 percent of voters who don't vote SF is "fair play to see someone taking on the shinners" or whatever shouty response SF give in reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Old diesel wrote: »

Not really.

FF will see it as a fantastic opportunity to bash SF about

Responsible Governance.

Abstaining from Westminster.

Stormount not running.

The latter two have nothing to do with the motion but SF bashing usually works best when you introduce stuff that's got nothing to do with the original topic.

That way the original topic gets forgotten and the focus for the 80 percent of voters who don't vote SF is "fair play to see someone taking on the shinners" or whatever shouty response SF give in reply.
    Or the most apt one.

Homelessness per capita is higher in the North than in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Or the most apt one.

Most countries have a higher homeless rate per capita. We do pretty well on that front tbh.

Red_Wake wrote:

You might to check that again.

Hopefully this will improve things. http://www.thejournal.ie/airbnb-regulations-ireland-4223316-Sep2018/?amp=1

THE HOUSING MINISTER Eoghan Murphy plans to bring housing units back onto the market with the regulation of the short-term letting market.

Murphy said he plans to introduce regulations for companies such as Airbnb and landlords that let out their properties on a short-term basis.

He told TheJournal.ie at the Fine Gael think-in yesterday that proposed regulations, which he plans to bring to Cabinet shortly, will be very similar to ones introduced in Toronto.

In September, Toronto city introduced new laws which ensure a person can only rent their home as a short-term let if it is their principal residence. This means that people who own a second property (what some call an investment property) will not be able to rent it for a period of less than 28 days at a time.

The rules in Toronto also stipulate that short-term rental companies and home owners must obtain a licence and register with the city council. Those that place their properties on platforms must also pay a Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT) of 4%.

Vancouver, which introduced similar rules, said since the regulations kicked in the number of listings on Airbnb fell from 6,600 in April to 3,742

• Advertisement

THE HOUSING MINISTER Eoghan Murphy plans to bring housing units back onto the market with the regulation of the short-term letting market.

He's about 5 years too late. People here on boards pointed out years ago how airbnb was taking homes away from Irish people. Government is very slow copping onto these things

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    He's about 5 years too late. People here on boards pointed out years ago how airbnb was taking homes away from Irish people. Government is very slow copping onto these things

Better late than never.

Better late than never.

There's 10,000 homeless people would disagree with that comment I'd bet

Sleeper12 wrote:

FG have been in power for 8 years and the housing crisis has deepened on their watch. This concern now and ready for action is cynical almost like an election is on the horizon.

Why? If it frees up hundreds of properties for them to rent, surely it’s good news?

Why? If it frees up hundreds of properties for them to rent, surely it’s good news?

Well because it could have been done 5 years ago. Everyone & their dog knew Airbnb was taking beds needed for people living in Ireland. It's helped push up rents for people lucky enough to have somewhere to rent. The general public, in Dublin at least, has suffered due to Airbnb.

Its not that its a bad idea. Its that FG has waited so long to act. Even acting now, it could take another year or two for the effect to filter through.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

FG have been in power for 8 years and the housing crisis has deepened on their watch.

you say this, but also ignore several key facts -

the population has grown by 300.000 in the last 8 years.

Ireland is finally following the Rural to Urban population shift that is commonplace in Europe.

majority of construction companies were dead and buried by 2010 and only coming back to life in last 2 or 3 years.

the economy is much stronger than what it was 8 years ago and unfortunately, some people get left behind.

could the government do better? yes they could of course, but theres more at play here than just the government -lack of personal responsibility in some cases for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Better late than never.

it will change absolutely nothing. the problem is lack of social housing.

people using short term lettings, are doing so to avoid getting stuck with tenants and the problems that come with them. payment guaranteed upfront also etc.

these premises will not be made available for social housing.

you say this, but also ignore several key facts -

the population has grown by 300.000 in the last 8 years.

Ireland is finally following the Rural to Urban population shift that is commonplace in Europe.

majority of construction companies were dead and buried by 2010 and only coming back to life in last 2 or 3 years.

the economy is much stronger than what it was 8 years ago and unfortunately, some people get left behind.

could the government do better? yes they could of course, but theres more at play here than just the government -lack of personal responsibility in some cases for example.

None of the above explains why FG ignored the problem for 8 years though.

We were promised that no homeless person would be in a hotel or hostel by July 2017

They put more time & energy into the disaster of the water meters than homelessness.

it will change absolutely nothing. the problem is lack of social housing.

No. The problem is lack of housing. Not necessarily lack of social housing

• Advertisement

Why should an owner be forced to rent long term. It’s not private house owners job to house people, their job is to make the most money they can with the least risk. So unless crazily pro tenant tenancy law are changed and rent caps abolished allowing LL to rent at market rates the houses aren’t goinf to appear back on the market.

THe government should not be interfering in LLs who want to let their properties on Airbnb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

THe government should not be interfering in LLs who want to let their properties on Airbnb.

That would be a much stronger argument if the properties were being utilised for the purposes under which planning had been granted. i.e. residential accommodation.

'I'd like to ignore planning regulation because it pays better' isn't a particularly compelling argument.

Well you see you need planning permission to let your property as Airbnb. So the government could stop everyone if they wanted. Just about all of the Airbnbs are operating outside of the law at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

OP, I feel for you. Homelessness is what some people in this country deserve considering how they treat other peoples’ property.

Hope it works out for you. I’ll be going the Airbnb route as well next year

garhjw wrote:
    OP, I feel for you. Homelessness is what some people in this country deserve considering how they treat other peoples’ property.

I rarely comment on property threads because you get the same cohorts of landlords bragging about who had the worst Tennants. Who's property had the most damage & who has been to the RTB most often.

The reality is that most landlords have never been to the RTB. Most haven't had property thrashed and most haven't been stung for thousands.

Some landlords just aren't very good at being a landlord.

How is it that the large group that own hundreds or thousands of properties don't get stung as of as the small landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

Ok well the first and foremost I have to say is try this country is an absolute joke, homeless on the rise while they are housing addicts before working people, it is a joke I know I have , it should be treatment cetres for them and then house our now normal citiezen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I rarely comment on property threads because you get the same cohorts of landlords bragging about who had the worst Tennants. Who's property had the most damage & who has been to the RTB most often.

The reality is that most landlords have never been to the RTB. Most haven't had property thrashed and most haven't been stung for thousands.

Some landlords just aren't very good at being a landlord.

How is it that the large group that own hundreds or thousands of properties don't get stung as of as the small landlord?

Reality is you don’t have a clue what you are talking. That is the reason you don’t comment on property threads.

OP has been treated badly by the system while keyboard warriors like you sit back and waffle away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Keep it civil please folks. Attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,095 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The government will be praying for an autumn trolley crisis to take the attention off the lack of homes!

• Advertisement

garhjw wrote:
    OP has been treated badly by the system while keyboard warriors like you sit back and waffle away.

Do you even know what thread you just commented on? Op hasn't been treated badly. Op started the thread 2 years ago to highlight the homeless crisis.

How has op been treated badly? Do tell?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement