Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for rape of woman with Alzheimer's

• 30-07-2020 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭

It’s not often they get praise around here, but the Judge deserves credit for handing down an 11 year sentence in this case -

At the Criminal Courts of Justice, Mr Justice Paul McDermott described it as "an egregious breach of trust by a qualified and experienced healthcare worker".

He said he showed little or no insight of the effect on the victim and his expressed remorse lacked depth beyond verbalised regret.

Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for rape of woman with Alzheimer's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

11 is mild - should have gotten longer.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The law would not have been involved if he did that to my mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,424 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A married father of 4 no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Took only a few months to get to trial, should be used as a template for getting other serious offenders onto trial rather than having them walking the streets.

I agree with the above; he should have gotten a lot more time in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭jones

Absolute insanity i hope he gets a taste of his own medicine in prison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

KevRossi wrote: »
    Took only a few months to get to trial, should be used as a template for getting other serious offenders onto trial rather than having them walking the streets.

This has amazed me, that it was fully dealt with in a very short time frame. Normally you’d expect cases like this take years to get to court.
    Hope he rots in jail the sick fúck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Given the severity of his crime, why isn't he on a plane out of here, back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Not a fan of the death penalty, but I would apply to this scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'm flabbergasted at the speed at which the wheels of justice can turn, wtf like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jesus christ. That is horrible. That poor woman

• Advertisement

Deported I hope after his release in about 3 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Danzy wrote: »
    Given the severity of his crime, why isn't he on a plane out of here, back home.

Absolutely let him serve his time then him And his whole family on a plane and back to their country of origin.
    Let daddy explain why they all had to leave.

the children should not pay for the crimes of the father

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the children should not pay for the crimes of the father

And the welfare state shouldnt have to pay to support the children of a man who is in prison and those kids arent irish citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

And the welfare state shouldnt have to pay to support the children of a man who is in prison and those kids arent irish citizens

You believe in all prisoners children being discriminated against for the crimes of their parent?

You've a source for that claim?

do you know that the kids arent citizens?

11 is mild - should have gotten longer.

Cage the animal for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I often wonder what checks are done on ppl arriving into this country and work in the health system?

There’s been a long list of dodgy cases reported

Is it the case that if Joe Schmo arrives in from random country x, the garda check will only reveal past convictions in Ireland but no further details about his past in country X ?

If so that is truly shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I often wonder what checks are done on ppl arriving into this country and work in the health system?

Is it the case that if Joe Schmo arrives in from random country x, the garda check will only reveal past convictions in Ireland but no further details about his past in country X ?

Garda getting for anyone who has lived abroad is hit and miss. Same for Irish residents, you can only be vetted for something you have been convicted of. This guy has no criminal record but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t assaulted vulnerable people before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

eviltwin wrote: »
    Garda getting for anyone who has lived abroad is hit and miss. Same for Irish residents, you can only be vetted for something you have been convicted of. This guy has no criminal record but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t assaulted vulnerable people before.

So would the guards have said “yer man is from country x, lets investigate his criminal record there?”

Like is that what happens or do they just look at records from Ireland since they arrived here ?

This is critical to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

KevRossi wrote: »

is there any reason this case was done so quick. I know he pleaded guilty buy never seen on actioned this quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So would the guards have said “yer man is from country x, lets investigate his criminal record there?”

Like is that what happens or do they just look at records from Ireland since they arrived here ?

This is critical to know

You have to give all your previous addresses here and abroad and they check if you have a criminal record in those places but they can’t verify if you are being honest. If someone spent a year backpacking across Asia when they were 18 or spent a summer in Ibiza and don’t put it on the form how is anyone to know.

Ideally you don’t work until your vetting is complete but I know certain sectors will get you working while it’s in progress. But this person hasn’t a record so it’s moot anyway. 15 years in Ireland with a clean work history....of course he looks trust worthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The law would not have been involved if he did that to my mother
    It would, at your trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I'd struggle to think of a more helpless target than a 70+ year old woman with Alzheimers, makes me sick. Already in a bad situation plus now the isolation from friends and family due to social distancing/cocooning for the elderly. Makes me sick.

I hope this follows him for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No doubt a (taxpayer-funded) appeal is on the way, probably on the basis that the sentence is much too harsh.

He can't - he pleasded guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Cordell

In this case county X I's say it's Nigeria. How relevant will be a clean record from Nigeria, Pakistan, India, Somalia and so on? Maybe he raped his grandma when he was 13, but even in Ireland such a conviction may no be kept on record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Doubt a lot of them are even using their real names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

you can appeal the severity of the sentence if you pleaded guilty

paw patrol wrote: »
    you can appeal the severity of the sentence if you pleaded guilty

Did wonder about that - but he'd be unwise in that case. It's more likely to be increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

he will never get work again when he gets out,no way i want to contribute to this mans dole, send him back where he came from permanently once hes served his sentence. no sympathy from me for people who abuse our hospitality by committing crimes against our citizens .

Not a chance. He'll just cry that his life is in danger back in whatever ****hole he left

Its something we shouldn't give a damn about. I have zero concern what happens to some scumbag rapist in his home country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If I had a family member in that home I’d be very concerned about what could have being going on with that guy there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Danzy wrote: »

Just to be clear -

I started the thread because I thought the Judge deserved credit for the sentence he handed down in this particular case, as all too often complaints are made that sentencing for these types of crimes is considered too lenient.

When I started the thread, there was no mention of the perpetrators name in the article I quoted from the RTÉ website. My intent in starting the thread wasn’t just to fuel more shìte talk about migrants. There’s enough of those types of threads in CA already.

As an example of more Judges deserving credit where it’s due for sentencing for this type of crime, there’s another case today in the news where the perpetrator is appealing the length of his sentence where he was sentenced to 14 years -

Rapist Patrick Nevin appeals severity of 14-year sentence, DPP counter appeals

No bollocks talk about “sending him home”, because you can’t. Send him to hell for all I care. I don’t care whether or not the perpetrator in the case I started this thread with is or isn’t a migrant either. He could just as easily be born and bred Irish for all anyone knows or cares. I certainly didn’t care who or where he was from at the time when I made the thread and there was no mention of his name.

The more pertinent fact was that he committed a despicable act against another human being and was handed what I thought was a fair and appropriate sentence, although I do accept it’s a fair point that he should have gotten a longer sentence in this case. The point was more so that all too often Judges are perceived to hand down lenient sentences, and this one deserved to be highlighted and the Judge given credit for the length of the sentence in this particular case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Deported I hope after his release in about 3 years time.

Deported? Not Irish so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Their father is a rapist which is hard enough but, yeah, let's punish them further. How do you know that they aren't citizens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

What the fcuk is wrong with people.
    Beyond comprehension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Doubt a lot of them are even using their real names

They’re on the run from something alright ..

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

This animal has worked in healthcare for 15 years. You'd have to wonder if it was the first act of this nature he has committed, or just the first time he was caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Please God this sick f**k will be deported back to whatever African country he is from upon release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Weird how RTE seem to be the only ones mentioning the rapist's name. Wonder will they remove it from the article?

This predatory animal has been named in the BBC article also. I’m actually surprised there is a BBC article at all given the non-Irish ethnicity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

What will he serve? 5-8 years?

For raping a vulnerable, helpless 73-year old woman in a nursing home who he was in a position of care over.

OP, I think you just might be a modern day "liberal" if you think that's a harsh sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I have a 79 year old mother who is thankfully compos mentis and as healthy as a person of that age can be. The thought that someone could do the likes of that to someone like my mother but even more vulnerable is incomprehensible. The devastation on that poor woman is incalculable. 11 years is too little. The planet would be the better for his departure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

In fairness, this has to be a sentence on the higher end of the scale. Thank you Judge.

There are many incidences of sexual assault, rape, and trauma for others where a suspended sentence is passed because of the age or whatever of the perpetrator.

Seems to me that male perpetrators are just absolved in the main. Looking at recent sentencing for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

disgusting we need to seriously vet people entering our country to live among our people. No one pays for care ( & its not cheap ) for their elderly parent to be exposed to a migrant pervert. I cannot describe how awful i feel hearing about this incident. MSM seem to be ignoring it and not mentioning the fact that its a non national who did this.
    Disgusting treacherous government & various NGO's vouching for these invaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Such a huge breach of trust. It had implications well across the residential care system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

In fairness, this has to be a sentence on the higher end of the scale. Thank you Judge.

There are many incidences of sexual assault, rape, and trauma for others where a suspended sentence is passed because of the age or whatever of the perpetrator.

Seems to me that male perpetrators are just absolved in the main. Looking at recent sentencing for these people.

The higher end of the scale in Ireland is life imprisonment. This scumbag will likely be out in 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

His appeal will be against the sentence - not the verdict!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I visit care homes as a volunteer and the residents are as vulnerable as new born babies this is unfathomable the care home should also be held accountable for not vetting a sex offender.
    I hope the family sue the carhome out of business thats the real problem care for profit ( no real care involved !!) Cut corners employ cheap immigrant perverts all for the profit . The carehome industry should be banned in ireland & people should be paid to look after their own people like we always did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Major claim incoming against the Nursing Home now. And rightly so. For once in my life I can agree with a claim for damages, well that's if the family take a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I was very surprised that he got 11 years. It is rare to see a convicted rapist get a sentence in this country in double figures. I applaud the judge even though I feel the sentence should be higher.

Hopefully stricter and tougher sentencing for rapists will become more common. Our justice system needs to less lenient regarding sex crimes.

I don't think the man's race should have much to do with the discussion. There are plenty of rapists in Ireland, both Irish born and non Irish born. We need to be discussing and educating everyone about rape and consent and making it very clear that rape will not be tolerated in our society.

I was also surprised to see that this case was dated April 2020. I had to stop and read it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement