Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allow me to explain why the 'All Live Matter' hashtag is awful.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gatling wrote: »
    Exactly while screaming the feds the feds

We don't have 'Feds', do they even know what country they're in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's easy to tell a handful of Debenhams workers to go home, a lot harder when it's a couple hundred, some of whom who'd love nothing more than a dig from a guard caught on camera phone.

The authorities really dug themselves in a hole when they failed to do anything about the Gemma O'Doherty/John Waters idiot protestors. Makes it harder for them to criticise the current lunacy without being tweeted as racist. And nothing is worth that, whatever the public health risk.

(I'm also finding it really bizarre that protestors for Gemma O'Doherty and BLM share common characteristics)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We don't have 'Feds', do they even know what country they're in?

They seem to be confused .

There is a petition going to get African history taught in schools the main picture shows a number of black individuals bar one image of Nelson Mandela the rest of images are of American's.

Seems if you come here from Nigeria you demand to be taught African history but only the American part ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The sheer lunacy and herd mentality of people (mostly white) who are using all that's going on at the moment to prove they are oh so virtuousis is maddening.

This is a fairly common opinion - that people are just joining the protest to jump on the bandwagon and look cool by participating in the latest cause. Is that based on anything? Any evidence that people are doing it to look cool and not because there is an issue there that needs to be addressed?

Btw I agree that the protest should not have gone ahead today due to covid, but I also acknowledge that there is a lot of casual racism around the place and that is an issue that is frustrating for a lot people (whether they are black, white or other). Also people are more than entitled to feel aggrieved at the situation in America, whether it directly affects them or not, and the US embassy seems like the appropriate place to protest about that in Ireland

This is a fairly common opinion - that people are just joining the protest to jump on the bandwagon and look cool by participating in the latest cause. Is that based on anything? Any evidence that people are doing it to look cool and not because there is an issue there that needs to be addressed?

Btw I agree that the protest should not have gone ahead today due to covid, but I also acknowledge that there is a lot of casual racism around the place and that is an issue that is frustrating for a lot people (whether they are black, white or other). Also people are more than entitled to feel aggrieved at the situation in America, whether it directly affects them or not, and the US embassy seems like the appropriate place to protest about that in Ireland

Yes. Plenty of evidence. Look at police brutality in other countries, carried out by any particular race Vs another. There are daily examples. Where are the marches on their embassies?

March on Penney's or other fast fashion due to child labour? No.

Daily protests against homophobia or women's rights in the middle east? Nope

Climate change extinction rebellion had a groundswell of support and people protesting in their name..... Until it wasn't trendy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

MOH wrote: »
    The authorities really dug themselves in a hole when they failed to do anything about the Gemma O'Doherty/John Waters idiot protestors. Makes it harder for them to criticise the current lunacy without being tweeted as racist. And nothing is worth that, whatever the public health risk.

(I'm also finding it really bizarre that protestors for Gemma O'Doherty and BLM share common characteristics)

I imagine they thought Gemtrails and Co. were a tiny fringe group that would simply evaporate when this idiotic case had run its course and would be more trouble than they're worth to attempt to remove.

I agree, both ends of the spectrum here would love nothing more than to get a sideways look from a guard and run off crying about police brutality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wonder who thought "matter" was a good word? its a very low bar.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Watched an interview of an African man at the "White Privilege" protest in Dublin yesterday. He had great difficulty in explaining the reason why he was there (and it had nothing to with the language barrier). He eventually talked about his two sons that he was bringing up in Ireland and he didn't know what their futures would be like if things did not change.

I wondered if this man thought he was living in Minneapolis and not in Ireland. But if he one of the large percentage of Africans living off welfare in Ireland, he should be made aware of the privilege of the white people who are going to work in the morning in order to sustain this man's comparatively luxurious welfare lifestyle for the rest of his life.

Going by the appearance of many of the protesters that were interviewed yesterday and last weekend; one would have to wonder how many of them had ever the privilege of real jobs in their lives.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Kivaro wrote: »
    I wondered if this man thought he was living in Minneapolis and not in Ireland. But if he one of the large percentage of Africans living off welfare in Ireland, he should be made aware of the privilege of the white people who are going to work in the morning in order to sustain this man's comparatively luxurious welfare lifestyle for the rest of his life./QUOTE]

This is pure fiction. You've no idea what he does for a living. He could be a doctor for all you know. But you want to assume the worst and think he's sponging. Even if he was on welfare, does that mean he deserves some racial abuse now and then? What's your whole point here? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this is how retarded thing are, How do you solve a problem without being able to talk about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/business/media/editor-philadephia-inquirer-resigns.html
    Top Editor of Philadelphia Inquirer Resigns After ‘Buildings Matter’ Headline
    Stan Wischnowski, a 20-year veteran of the paper, stepped down days after the publication of an article that led to a walkout by dozens of Inquirer journalists.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

iamstop wrote: »
    Even if he was on welfare, does that mean he deserves some racial abuse now and then? What's your whole point here? Ridiculous.

BLM organisers in Ireland seem to be suggesting that the direct provision system is in itself somehow inherently racist. What's always left out of the discussion is the fact that the volume of spurious claims for asylum from economic migrants eat up finite resources and make the process a considerably poorer experience for those in very real need of international protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kivaro wrote: »
    I wondered if this man thought he was living in Minneapolis and not in Ireland. But if he one of the large percentage of Africans living off welfare in Ireland, he should be made aware of the privilege of the white people who are going to work in the morning in order to sustain this man's comparatively luxurious welfare lifestyle for the rest of his life.

This is pure fiction. You've no idea what he does for a living. He could be a doctor for all you know. But you want to assume the worst and think he's sponging. Even if he was on welfare, does that mean he deserves some racial abuse now and then? What's your whole point here? Ridiculous.

but with a majority of African immigrants unemployed and less than 12% having arrived having even set foot in a college , the poster assuming he's 'sponging' is infinitely more likely to be correct than your assumption is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

silverharp wrote: »
    I wonder who thought "matter" was a good word? its a very low bar.

I think that's the point

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Have you taken your Ritalin OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

If you are using the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag and don't know any better or are confused why people are mad at you let me explain it:
    1. The original hashtag 'BlackLivesMatter' was a reaction to a string of well documented cases of police brutality that resulted in the death of a long list of unarmed black people. On top of that there was no appropriate punishment for the police officers involved. They mostly got paid or unpaid leave until the heat died down and continued back at their jobs after that. Meanwhile the families and friends of the deceased got no justice. This sends shockwaves of trauma throughout the immediate community, the country of the US and the rest of the black population outside of the US too. This original hashtag started to really shine a light of the system wide oppression of black people in America and elsewhere.
    2. The oppressors decided that this hashtag would gather too much momentum and decided they needed to water it down and dilute it with 'alllivesmatter' to protect the racist system that they benefit from. And to some degree it's working (COINTELPRO). Every time you use that hashtag you are doing the work of the oppressor. You are being used as a pawn. You are being manipulated into diluting a movement that's main goal is end police brutality.
    2a. Nobody using the 'BlackLivesMatter hashtag is saying Only Black Live Matter. It is universally understood that all lives matter.
    3. So, now that you are educated on the deceitful and hateful and manipulative reasons for this 'alllivesmatter' hashtag to exist you should stop doing the work of the oppressor and stop using it and stop being used.
    3a. If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human.

Tell that to the kid in Cork who is in hospital after being stabbed by a black teen while lying on the ground defenceless, I'm sure he'll feel much better after you explain it to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It like the "Save the Whales" movement doesn't mean Fk the rest of the animals in the sea. It's just Save the Whales. Sure save all the animals in the sea but this particular problem is the extinction of whales.

So yes Black Lives Matter. Hijacking it or going on with the whatabouty of All Lives Matter shows you just don't get it.

FatherTed wrote: »
    It like the "Save the Whales" movement doesn't mean Fk the rest of the animals in the sea. It's just Save the Whales. Sure save all the animals in the sea but this particular problem is the extinction of whales.

So yes Black Lives Matter. Hijacking it or going on with the whatabouty of All Lives Matter shows you just don't get it.

I don't get it.

And I have tried to educate myself about it. I know that black people were treated terribly in the past. I know some people still are racist.

But I know that there are laws to punish people who do illegal things in the name of racism.

Im at a huge loss as to see how black lives matter s are silent about the death of the black policeman at the hands of a looter.

Is it black lives matter or is it black lives that make me seem popular matter?

Equating save the whales to black lives matter is ****ing ridiculous. You are lucky you aren't being slated as equating blacks to animals. I guarantee that would happen if someone from the other side said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

#alm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

GarIT wrote: »
    There have been many BLM protestors who have said they should be killing cops or white people as revenge or to make it even. I don't take them seriously, they are the edge case nutters but it's not correct to say nobody is saying it.

Show us one.
    Tell that to the kid in Cork who is in hospital after being stabbed by a black teen while lying on the ground defenceless, I'm sure he'll feel much better after you explain it to him

You're making this a black vs white issue. The whole point is that police brutality is disproportionately directed towards black folk in the US and beyond. You are taking an isolated issue and waving it like "Look! Black people aren't perfect!". It's fairly blindsided and immature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

#BlackLivesMatter is the right and appropriate hashtag as black people are as a whole treated worse than white people in the US and further afield. As a white male, I know my life matters but were I black, I'd be questioning whether a lot of people thought that.
    As was said over the last few days, if someone's house was on fire and they were using water to put it out. It would look very stupid if his neighbour came over giving out to them asking why they weren't putting any water on his house even though it's not on fire. That's what the #AllLivesMatter hashtag is like.

I honest to God can't get over this point of view the sympathy for the black race is boardering on ridiculous at this stage we ll be bowing down to them at this rate,

Police brutality is the issue.

This notion that the poor ole black man is being held back by the big bad white man lead system is utter tripe, same with every problem they ve ever had has comes from the white man people buying into this stuff need to give there heads a wobble .

BLM is black supremists low key.. white people cheering it on then is hilarious altogether , the fact that BLM are for racial equality but still use collective terms such "the white man" makes me laugh

I ask the same question when all this is over and done with what will black people be able to do that they can't already do ?

Racism against black people =Outrageous

Racism against white people = Group activity that all can part take in and be applauded for it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

J_E wrote: »
    Show us one.

You're making this a black vs white issue. The whole point is that police brutality is disproportionately directed towards black folk in the US and beyond. You are taking an isolated issue and waving it like "Look! Black people aren't perfect!". It's fairly blindsided and immature.

It is a black vs white issue, the only time it's not is when it's called out , look at all the speeches for GF they screamed "we learned voilence from you the white man so don't complain when we get voilent" and "if it was a white man we d have CNN here and the president" ECT ECT

But ya it's not about black v white deluded yourself what ever way suits keep up the good fight for the poor struck down black people, none of there problems are self made it's all someone else's fault all the system..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,025 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

#onlytrendyhashtagsmatter

#fixboards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

#fixboardssearch

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

#paytopostridtheriffraffandpoor

#allsortedandfixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

#idontcareaboutgeorgefloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Blacks and mostly the trendy lefties never stopped until they had a black president.

How come that didn't seem to improve issues in the USA?

People have to accept that there has always been and will always be racism. There are laws to deal with it, but laws alone will never stop some from disliking someone else simply because of their race etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Blacks and mostly the trendy lefties never stopped until they had a black president.

How come that didn't seem to improve issues in the USA?

People have to accept that there has always been and will always be racism. There are laws to deal with it, but laws alone will never stop some from disliking someone else simply because of their race etc.

There are also those in society who will actually use their own race as an excuse for not making it in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

#idontcareaboutgeorgefloyd

I hear your a rascist now father

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

OP being a moderator is an embarrassment to boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

If you are using the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag and don't know any better or are confused why people are mad at you let me explain it:

You know people were mad at Tottenham Hotspur's supporters for using the word Yid to describe themselves, a foul word invented to slur jewish people.

Many people told them to stop; that it was disrespectful and racist. It was banned by the league, with a penalty for using it being introduced, it didn't stop the supporters.

The word came about because supporters in other teams in the league would use it against them. "Yids!" they should shout with anger and emotional vitriol towards the Tottenham supporters. They would even hiss to signify the sounds of the gas chambers. Disgusting, utterly reprehensible.

But you know when they regained the word for themselves and started to embrace themselves as "The Yid Army" it took the power away from the racist scum that would try to use the word. Imagine a small crowd of away supporters trying to heckle "Disgusting yids" While an entire stadium shouted back "We're the yid army" and laughed at them.

To give phrases such power and authority is reckless, words and language are an ever evolving thing; each person interprets them as they like.

Some people see Black lives matter as meaning that other lives matter less. No matter how many times you or other people say "that's not what it means", that's the way some people are going to pick it up. There is no authority on language.

Advertisement