Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda uniform

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Rodney Trotter in Only Fools and Horses had a weird fetish for women in police uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

We could ask the guys at Hugo Boss to the come up with some new designs

It's not the Gestapo we have

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The motorcycle Gardai in their leather uniform look quite hot but the ubiquitous yellow reflective jacket lets it down a bit.

The standard uniform could do with an update. It needs to be tighter and more form fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Is it me or is it the most shapeless, unflattering police uniform that looks like something you'd see on a building site?

it makes the Bean gardai look like they're lugging around a shipping container in the arse of the trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The motorcycle Gardai in their leather uniform look quite hot but the ubiquitous yellow reflective jacket lets it down a bit.

The standard uniform could do with an update. It needs to be tighter and more form fitting.

Form fitting , you sure thats a good idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

I reckon they all need to be taught how to use an iron when they're in Templemore. The lot of them look like they've slept in their uniforms.

A neighbour of mine, a retired garda, joined in the 60s. He was talking to me recently about the state of the current uniforms. In his day, at the start of his shift, all the coppers lined up and were inspected by the sergeant in charge, before going out on their beat. If their uniform wasn't up to scratch, they'd be sent home to sort it. Doubt that happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

jackhammer wrote: »
    I reckon they all need to be taught how to use an iron when they're in Templemore. The lot of them look like they've slept in their uniforms.

A neighbour of mine, a retired garda, joined in the 60s. He was talking to me recently about the state of the current uniforms. In his day, at the start of his shift, all the coppers lined up and were inspected by the sergeant in charge, before going out on their beat. If their uniform wasn't up to scratch, they'd be sent home to sort it. Doubt that happens now.

Maybe it's just me but I would prefer if a Guard was out on the beat than being at home ironing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The gardai with the guns are the reigning defending GTA Garda division.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i always thought the garda uniform was a tad gammy

the British police uniform is much nicer with the starch white shirts and black gilets and the hats with the chequered band, very smart

they win the style contest hands down imo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

branie2 wrote: »
    Rodney Trotter in Only Fools and Horses had a weird fetish for women in police uniform.

aint nothing weird about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

joe stodge wrote: »
    it makes the Bean gardai look like they're lugging around a shipping container in the arse of the trousers.
    They need to be put back on the beat,... Let Batchelors look after their own f**king beans.

Maybe it's just me but I would prefer if a Guard was out on the beat than being at home ironing.

Likewise, but I don't see many of them doing that either.

Part of the old timer's argument was that their sloppy appearance was an indication of the lack of discipline in the force. Who am I to argue with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Surprised that they haven't....considering that they got quite a reputation for laundering there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Sounds like it was a riveting conversation.
    In saying that, from the way the thread is going anything related to the Gardai will be criticised from the uniforms being ****e , appearance of female Gardai and everything in between.
    Does it really matter if there's a crease ironed perfectly into the uniform or the jacket looks a bit shapeless .
    One can only imagine a Garda at all hours of the morning wondering if her arse looks too big or one of the Gardai last week wrestling that man with gun in Tallaght being concerned about his appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I know it's a cliche but sometimes the clothes really do maketh the man (or ban). Garda uniforms are currently the most sloppy ugly amateurish god awful rags it's possible to conceive. They command no respect and look like something left behind of a building site

The Carabinieri looking sharp in the jack boots and capes

219.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,635 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Carabinieri looking sharp in the jack boots and capes

219.jpeg
    They look a bit camp :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I was in Spain in August and the police are on high alert there with the terrorist attacks, but they are just so intimidating looking compared to our ridiculous looking police. Also the high powered weapons they were carrying.
    I can't take the Garda seriously, they always seem smaller than me and younger and soft looking. The uniform is the most unflattering costume too. I can understand why kids in the sink estates aren't afraid of them at all, between their stupid uniforms and our revolving door system for crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,635 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was in Spain in August and the police are on high alert there with the terrorist attacks, but they are just so intimidating looking compared to our ridiculous looking police. Also the high powered weapons they were carrying.
    I can't take the Garda seriously, they always seem smaller than me and younger and soft looking. The uniform is the most unflattering costume too. I can understand why kids in the sink estates aren't afraid of them at all, between their stupid uniforms and our revolving door system for crime.
    Back in the 60's everyone was afraid of the Garda and the uniform was even worse than the present one.
    Does that tell you anything?

Are Gardai supposed to be intimidating?

• Advertisement

A little bit yes

A little bit yes

Like the Spanish police who kicked the bollix out the protesters in Barcelona ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

“One size fits no one” is how they manage to have every garda looking like they slept for a week in their uniform.

It really is the worst ill fitting uniform I have ever seen. Police in other countries look much more professional in proper fitting decent uniform.

Are the police in other countries required to maintain the fitness level they achieve in order to join the force? That probably contributes to them looking well in their uniforms.
    The majority of the gardai I have seen are overweight and unfit.

Like the Spanish police who kicked the bollix out the protesters in Barcelona ?
    Yes. Not saying they should beat people but they should look intimidating

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No point looking intimidating if you are not prepared to act in that manner. Unfortunately the spanish police have no problem in that regard.

Sounds like it was a riveting conversation.

I'll tell him so, next time I see him. He'll be so pleased that you, in particular, found it so interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's an ugly uniform. Ill-fitting for the majority and looks very uncomfortable for being active. I agree the trousers look like cheapo overalls.

I can't say I've seen an ordinary Garda, except the armed response unit, in the past year though, except in the media. The ERU uniform isn't as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Thats not our policing model and nor should it be.

McCrack wrote: »

Fine but is it really necessary for them to look so slovenly?

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »

Fine but is it really necessary for them to look so slovenly?

Do they look slovenly ? I'd have contact with Gardai a couple of times a week , both uniformed and plainclothes, vast majority present well and professional in approach.
    Gentle and discrete for some situations and forceful and direct as need be in other situations.

Advertisement