Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours’ hedge over growing into my OH’s garden.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The Goddamn Utopians Got Nothin' To Do With It!

That is not germane to this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I was thinking of emptying a can of diesel onto the roots. I don’t want any neighbourhood cats lapping it up though (apparently diesel tastes sweet to them).

It's going to leave the entrance to the OH's looking like crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's going to leave the entrance to the OH's looking like crap.

In fairness, bushes in the 70s were left go wild as the natural look was in fashion. As soon as you neared the entrance, which was so overgrown it was difficult to find, you would have to do lots of rooting around before you could even have an idea where the entrance was. Only the owner could gain access to the front door and that would be after lots of fiddling at the front gate and access was basically limited to the owner. Wild and prickly was definitely compulsory.

Fashions changed dramatically in the noughties when all was trimmed back to the base and every one passing could see right up to the front door and access wasn't limited to just one person, everyone was able to access the front door and ring the bell as much as they wanted.

With the crash, many people didn't have much money to pay for gardening so the wildness returned ahain but seemingly, with the pickup in the economy, more funding is available for gardening again.

OP, perhaps you and your OH should discuss exactly what you require as regards topiary and discuss this with your neighbours. You might be as well to discuss this with your neighbours wife while your OH attends to your neighbour on each side of the fence and maybe each should do some clipping until a consensus has been reached as to what suits you both.

Do let us know how your discussions went as I may be a bit behind the times as regards current topiary fashions and would appreciate an update on what's current.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Patww79 wrote: »
    If you're using diesel, drill a big hole down into the butt of it and pour the diesel down that.
    Heard copper nails do the job well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I can't believe people are advocating killing the plant just because the OP is too lazy to trim it. Honestly if my neighbour did something like that to one of my plants things would escalate quickly. It should also be worth noting that if you do anything to damage something growing on a neighbours property you are legally liable for the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Rules are, you firstly tell your neighbour, you wish to have the hedge trimmed as it is interfering into your drive. The neighbour can volunteer to do the cutting himself or tell you, you can cut it. If he does neither, you can cut it back on your side but should offer the cuttings to the neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I was thinking of emptying a can of diesel onto the roots. I don’t want any neighbourhood cats lapping it up though (apparently diesel tastes sweet to them).

Put a drop of lemon in the diesel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It would be a shame if a stray firework landed on it ?

Or lots and lots of fertilizer so it grows mad into their garden so when you trim your side it overbalances and falls crashing into their house trapping them underground until they evolve into mole people.

Of course if a stray firework landed in the fertilizer the resulting explosion would probably take out both houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Water John wrote: »
    Rules are, you firstly tell your neighbour, you wish to have the hedge trimmed as it is interfering into your drive. The neighbour can volunteer to do the cutting himself or tell you, you can cut it. If he does neither, you can cut it back on your side but should offer the cuttings to the neighbour.

and what if the neighbour doesn't accept the cuttings? can you just leave them on his/her side anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I did say, offer. If he doesn't take up the offer, you dispose of them. Throwing them into his garden, is not an option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I had that issue once before. I just cut where it came over. No big deal.

Advertisement