Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours’ hedge over growing into my OH’s garden.

Options
  • 30-10-2017 2:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

As the title says, my OH’s neighbours planted a thorny hedge a few years ago in their front garden and it encroaches on her driveway. There is a standard Woden fence separating each of the houses in the terrace

The driveway is narrow enough as it is and it makes it very hard to reverse up the driveway without the briars scraping the car.

They never once offer to cut it. I always have to (or my OH does).

I’m sick of doing it. Last time I cut it I simply threw all of the clippings over (three big black bin liners, I emptied them out of the bin liners so I could reuse them for ourselves) and show them what it’s like to clean up someone else’s mess.

Why can’t the lazy arseholes cut their own hedge on my side? They planted it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Spray it with weed killer.
    It’ll be dead in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Blast it with piss! Should kill it faster than any weed killer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

kbell wrote: »
    Spray it with weed killer.
    It’ll be dead in a week.

I was thinking of emptying a can of diesel onto the roots. I don’t want any neighbourhood cats lapping it up though (apparently diesel tastes sweet to them).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sounds like the knob neighbour that lives behind us, fecking ivy and over grown trees/bushes growing over the from there side never once did they cut it until last year and there was ivy and branches all over the garden then thanks too them, they never offered too pick it up the knobs! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have you ever asked them to cut it on your side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Before you start WW3 .... Have you tried speaking with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Non after H.R.'s answer :)
    Go hire a petrol hedge trimmer and rip it back to in line flush with the fence.
    Now the A.H. bit..
    And throw all the cuttings back into their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Nothing can be done about it except to continue cutting it dnd throwing back over the cuttings.
    This kind of thing is a problem all over the world.
    Don’t be tempted to get up to any weed killer shenanigans it will just backfire on you.

Before you start WW3 .... Have you tried speaking with them?
    Wheety wrote: »
    Have you ever asked them to cut it on your side?

Yes, but they always have an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Flamethrower the neighbours only long term solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The neighbours are probably swingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Shoot them and be done with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Set the bush on fire tomorrow night and if the neighbours start asking questions, blame it on a stray firework. Job done.
    Or alternatively blame devine intervention or Moses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

As the title says, my OH’s neighbours planted a thorny hedge a few years ago in their front garden and it encroaches on her driveway. There is a standard Woden fence separating each of the houses in the terrace

The driveway is narrow enough as it is and it makes it very hard to reverse up the driveway without the briars scraping the car.

I’m sick of doing it. Last time I cut it I simply threw all of the clippings over (three big black bin liners, I emptied them out of the bin liners so I could reuse them for ourselves) and show them what it’s like to clean up someone else’s mess.

If it's on your side then it is 100% your responsibility. That is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP

i agree and don't agree

...if the hedge is overgrowing on your side then you have every right to cut it and return the clippings on theirs ...but don't expect them to come over to your side and start cutting, that wouldn't be expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

JMNolan wrote: »

That’s what I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I would have thought you can clip and cut anything that goes on your side, but dont expect a neighbour to do it for you?

JMNolan wrote: »

They planted it. The roots are on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Cut it back hard once a year. That should be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Send them a bullet in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Squatman

For them to cut it on your side means that they have to enter your property. And you would be responsible for them. Conversely, for them to enter your property they would need your permission, otherwise they would be trespassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Machine gun em

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Be careful you don't accidentally spill a load of salt on it when you're de-icing your OH's driveway this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Build a wall 10ft high wall on your side , the briars won't be scratching your car then. Does the hedge bother your other half or just you when you visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

RayM wrote: »
    Send them a bullet in the post.

Typical communists. Just one more death and you'd have your utopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nothing worse than an overgrown bush, imo.

In fairness, if you want to let your bush grow, you have to take responsibility for trimming it also. I mean, it just looks so unkempt in an otherwise tame and manicured setting.

Also it is important to let a small strip of bush grow, just for the aesthetics and a haven for any wildlife that may on occasion with to visit the area.

Now, OP, if this was your OHs bush, I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate your neighbour calling round whilst you were out and offering to trim her bush for you even if you had allowed it to overgrow in the first place.

Nothing for it, OP, except get outside as soon as the neighbour is absent and trim their bush. And then deposit the trimmings in their garden for best results.

Again I would recommend leaving a small untrimmed strip but that is a personal preference and is in no way a recommendation from Boards or its Mods on how one should or should not manage the ladys garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Typical communists. Just one more death and you'd have your utopia.

The Goddamn Utopians Got Nothin' To Do With It!

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

How did the briars not rip the arse out of plastic bin liners? How could you get them in or out of the bag wihtout making bits of it? A few things there don't add up OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I was thinking of emptying a can of diesel onto the roots. I don’t want any neighbourhood cats lapping it up though (apparently diesel tastes sweet to them).

Cats are scum.

Go for it.

Advertisement