Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Band You Cannot See Anymore, Who and When? (Time to Brag Thread)

Options
  • 16-02-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So following on from a previous thread, I decided to start this one about that one special act you had seen before that you can never see again. Feel free to boast about seeing someone special that you reckon nobody can top:rolleyes:

Although, I now wonder how many people we are going to get citing that they seen The Beatles way back when.....

I'm talking about a classic band lineup that doesn't look likely to ever occur again or a tour that doesn't look likely to be topped, someone who is no longer with us, or a band who just don't perform anymore and haven't bitten that reunion bug. Perhaps you went to a secret gig or you just saw a band that became huge overnight in a lowly support slot in a small Dublin venue that no longer exists.

My pick would have been David Bowie at Oxegen 2004, since it's the only reason I purchased a day ticket that year, but those of you with good memories will remember he suffered his heart attack around that time and as a result all such concerts were cancelled....so far I don't believe he has toured since, or at least not properly thread the boards

So, my pick goes to Velvet Revolver, just weeks away from a split, with Scott Weiland counting down the days until he wouldn't have to speak to Slash or Duff again. They played two memorable nights in March 2008 in the Ambassador....and I was there to catch it on camera...the band would be split less then 2 weeks later (and as anyone who was there knows, you could split the tension with a knife, I don't think Scott even looked at Slash or Duff once)

A close second goes to Chimaira, Temple Bar Music Centre, in Feb 2004. Guitarist Matt DeVries had been beaten up the night before in Liverpool, and they considered not performing at all - but when they did perform, they were on fire, and like a WASP with a hornets nest on their mind they just went for it. They didn't even replace DeVries that night and sounded amazing. The energy just stands out. The next time I saw them, in June 2004, they'd replaced their drummer (Ricky Evensand didn't hang around long though) and the energy didn't feel close to right

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hehe I was at the first night of the VR gigs. Saying there was tension onstage is an understatement. :)

For me it is between seeing Metallica on the Puppets tour or Thin Lizzy during the Thunder And Lightning tour.

If I am forced to pick one, I will go with having seen Phil Lynott live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Ian Dury and the Blockheads - Mean Fiddler (Dublin) 96
    Rory Gallagher - Olympia 87
    Can - Olympia 90

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Death From Above 1979 in one of the tents at Oxegen 2005 i think it was.They are broke up now for years but it is always the gig i remeber been so lucky to have been there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Thin Lizzy - RDS, 9th April 1983 ... my fist gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Drowning Pool literally days before the singer died, at the Ozzfest gig in 2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Drowning Pool literally days before the singer died, at the Ozzfest gig in 2001

Dave Williams was truly a special man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Johnny Cash Olympia 1992 or 93 forget exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

White Zombie, 1995 in Simmonscourt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Pantera on ozzfest in the states 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Nirvana supporting Sonic Youth in Top Hat 1990... (OMG I'm old!! lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

31/12/1978 - Bringing in the New year with Rory Gallagher, Arcadia Ballroom, Cork.
    I remember he broke a string mid solo (can't recall the song), was handed another guitar and continued virtually without a pause. Unless you were right up front (the only place to be at a Gallagher gig :)) you may not even have noticed. Magical guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Dissection in 2004 before John committed suicide! great Gig!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was at the 2nd night of VR at the Ambassador,same tension as the first night.

As for bands i've seen that aren't about anymore i suppose the '92 incarnation of GN'R would be right up there.

FNM with Big Jim Martin in '92 & '93

Rollins Band in the Tivoli in '94. The band is down the list of priorities for Rollins these days behind his books and spoken word tours and tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

THIN LIZZY
    10th April 1980 Carlton,Kilkenny
    16th August 1981 Slane Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭yknaa

Very jealous of the Rory Gallagher suggestions.

Fatima Mansions in the Rock Garden in 1992(?) was class though.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Maybe not rock or metal, but James Brown at the Olympia in Dublin two months before he died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Maybe not rock or metal, but James Brown at the Olympia in Dublin two months before he died.
    I was just about to mention him. I saw him at Oxegen 2006 where, although it wasn't a great show, it was still great to see him live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 roc_racer

Ramones TV Club 1984
    Johnny Thunders TV Club 1988?
    The Clash Top Hat Dun Laoighaire 1979?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

roc_racer wrote: »
    The Clash Top Hat Dun Laoighaire 1979?

legendary venue i cannot find any pics or info on. but for a few snaps of Metallikur's Justice For All tour, typical.

was the main hub for shows at the height of metal apparently. punk too i gather - turned into Skate City; got knocked. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Il also plus 1 to drowning pool right before dave williams died. The rest of the stuff the band has done since isnt up to much but sinner was a cracker of an album. Dave had an amazing voice, and great stage presence. Who knows how they would have turned out if he were still alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Navy1

Big Country, Buffalo Skinners Tour. Olympia Theatre, Dublin, '93 i think?
    Saw them on 4 or 5 occassions when they toured Ireland but this was them at their best, rocking the house down, playing tracks from their heaviest album.
    Stuart Adamson (R.I.P.) had a great rapport with the crowd, cracking jokes and self-mocking, "See you, Jimmy".
    Was one of those gigs that you just never want to end and you're holding in a squirt all night in case you miss anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Nirvana, The Point 1992
    Alice In Chains with Layne , The Point and SFX 91/93
    Pantera The Point and SFX 92/93
    White Zombie RDS 95

Jesus looking back the SFX held some deadly gigs for the kiphole it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Navy1 wrote: »
    Saw them on 4 or 5 occassions when they toured Ireland but this was them at their best, rocking the house down, playing tracks from their heaviest album.
    Stuart Adamson (R.I.P.) had a great rapport with the crowd, cracking jokes and self-mocking, "See you, Jimmy".
    Was one of those gigs that you just never want to end and you're holding in a squirt all night in case you miss anything!

Do you remember when they absolutely stole the show at Slane in '87 playing support to a pretty mediocre Bowie? Great live band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Pantera at the first Ozzfest in England, Milton Keynes 1998. Absolutely savage

Great line-up that year too. Slayer, Fear Factory, Therapy?, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Navy1

old gregg wrote: »
    Do you remember when they absolutely stole the show at Slane in '87 playing support to a pretty mediocre Bowie? Great live band.
    No, but my brother was there, told me the exact same. Really showed him up.
    Great live band, pity they never made it huge. Adamson's lyrics were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Someone just reminded me of a gig I'd actually forgotten I'd attended:D

American Head Charge (who have now broken up, and who cancelled the the same tour a few nights after this gig) in the Voodoo Lounge (which is also gone I'm told) with Panic Cell and Twin Method in support - and I'm pretty sure Twin Method are also broken up too....that was in Nov 2006

I think that was Nu Metal's last stand in Dublin:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oh, man ... I was at the Olympia gig in late 2001, their 2nd last with Stuart before Glasgow. About six months later, in May 2002, I was at the Barrowlands for the Memorial gig for Stuart. This gig was notable for another reason: Bill Nelson made a rare live appearance, with a piece called For Stuart - and I've been a fan ever since. (Bill was famous for founding Be Bop Deluxe in the 70s; Stuart had been a big fan of Bill's playing and got Bill in to produce the second Skids album.)

I went to some weird gigs in the 90s in London, and two of them involved Alex Paterson of The Orb, both in Brixton. One was in someone's back garden, believe it or not: some friend of his, I can't remember how I found out, but I just turned up and chilled out all night. The other was at a basement club called The Fridge, DJ-ing with Kris Weston: they took a simple vinyl click; looped, morphed and tweaked it until it became this complete track that got louder and louder and louder, until the fuse box on the wall blew up, plunging the place in to darkness and massive cheers. I left at that point: I could tell it wasn't going to get any better than that. :cool:

PS: Another claim to fame: when Dream Theater recorded Live at the Marquee, I was there. The place was heaving. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I'm old --not old enough to have seen the Beatles -- but I've seen a lot of bands and singers that aren't around anymore. Bigger names would be Led Zeppelin, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, the Clash, Grateful Dead, Johnny Cash, Ramones, Run DMC, plus some less famous names that put on fantastic shows like the Cramps, Black Flag, Gang of Four, and load of dodgy bands that aren't around anymore either -- some well known, some not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Didn't know about that gig, but i'd loved to have been there :) (am listening to Why the long face as I type this)

fantastic band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wow , some great gigs mentioned so far that I would have loved to see ... obviously Rory Gallagher (only saw him do the free gig at College Green - early 90's sometime ??)

These sound like great gigs that I would loved to have been at ..

Ramones TV Club 1984 (Saw them on the Brain drain Tour in Manchester University but Dee Dee had left by then, CJ was on bass - still awesome though)

The Clash Top Hat Dun Laoighaire 1979 (was at Many Metal / Trash gigs there during the late 80's ... great times)

Big Country Olympia Theatre, Dublin, '93

Advertisement