Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you collect?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Started with a few coins......still got a few

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Continuing with my latest obsession I picked up this very nice postcard of two lightships at Dun Laoghaire on eBay this morning. By British artist Walter Hayward-Young (1868-1920) who used the pseudonym "Jotter", it's a smashing item which, when digitally touched-up to remove the postmark, will have pride of place in my growing collection.

CONINBEG%2Band%2BSKULMARTIN%2Blightships%2Bold%2Bpostcard%2Bby%2BJotter.JPG

Have an old photograph of the "kish" lightship taken by one of my grandparents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

i collect books and movie dvd. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just wondering can anybody identify these coins don't know where they're from or what year the silver ones are. I think the silver ones are the same currency.

You might have better luck in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056255502

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sorintrimbitas

I collect mostly Austro-Hungarian, Austrian, Hungarian and Romanian coins.
    I also started a collection of one coin per country but for some countries it seems pretty hard to get a coin.

• Advertisement

I used to collect CallCards years ago but I don't have them anymore. But I do still have my collection of Sky viewing cards. Some of these were ones I picked up from expired subscriptions but several of the older ones were got on eBay. I have every design they issued, but not every issue number itself. As with many collections, I've heaps of duplicates. :pac:

Also some NTL/UPC cards thrown in for good measure.

242490.JPG

I also have some collections of Irish model trains. Locomotives 146, 181, 220 and 229, with 077 pre-ordered (and I'm tempted to get 082 as well).

DSC02565.JPG

In coaches, I have Cravens 1508, 1521, 1544 and Mark 1 GSV 3177. As well as the Mark 3 Executive set (which is really just two standard Mark 3s resprayed - not accurate at all).

As a reformed railway enthusiast I would collect the Murphy Model IE locos but the couplings make me want to run a mile! I bought a G Gauge railcar a while back and it's the realism that makes me tick. :)

As a reformed railway enthusiast I would collect the Murphy Model IE locos but the couplings make me want to run a mile! I bought a G Gauge railcar a while back and it's the realism that makes me tick. :)

The couplings are quite awful alright, but you can remove them. Whether you can replace them with something better or not, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Karsini wrote: »
    The couplings are quite awful alright, but you can remove them. Whether you can replace them with something better or not, I don't know.

On the 141's/181's there's a blanking-off piece supplied that clips into place once you take off the coupling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

But I do still have my collection of Sky viewing cards.

Have you read Alan Sugar's autobiography "What you see is what you get"?

Chapter 12 give a detailed description of how Amstrad made the first Sky
    receivers and the smartcards.

It's a nice book, I had an Amstrad when I was young, it brought back
    good memories and explained a lot about how the "home computer" universe
    worked.

Myself, I collect coins and the very odd banknote. I like 20th Century coins
    (because they are cheap :) ) and in particular the coins of Europe after 1945.

I have also picked up a few sets of the Brooke Bond tea cards.
    I have "famous inventors", "the race into space" and "flags of the world"

I will post up a few scans of these, most people under 30 will not have heard of them.

I have an interest in antique modern technology and a passing interest in Militaria
    but I don't have any collectibles in these categories.

• Advertisement

Have you read Alan Sugar's autobiography "What you see is what you get"?

Chapter 12 give a detailed description of how Amstrad made the first Sky
    receivers and the smartcards.

It's a nice book, I had an Amstrad when I was young, it brought back
    good memories and explained a lot about how the "home computer" universe
    worked.
    I haven't read it, but I think I'll have to now! Thanks for that. :)

I haven't read it, but I think I'll have to now! Thanks for that. :)

Yeah, I think you'll enjoy it, you should be able to get it for under €10.
    If you're into electronics, audio equipment or just enjoy a good read about
    a self-made millionaire, you'd like it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Used to be comics when I was younger, and I've kept the most valuable of them (2000AD number 1, Cerebus number 1 etc).
    Later it was Irish whiskey, the thinking being that if I ever got bored of the collection, I could drink it. Again, I still have a cabinet full of the most valuable, but I have cracked and drank some really old and irreplaceable bottles; after all, they're not works of art but meant to be drunk.
    Currently I collect silver. Not generally numismatically valuable coins, though occasionally I pick up a bargain here and there, but more bullion and objets d'art. It's my hedge against further economic upheaval.

Here are some images (not my collection unfortunately :) ) and links to the Brooke Bond tea cards:

bbfamouspeople.jpg

bbtheraceintospace.jpg

http://www.brookebondcollectables.co.uk/

http://www.teacards.com/

http://www.londoncigcard.co.uk/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daaan

Beasty, I am Pablo Dorado´s granddaughter I really would like to keep in contact with you and know the medal.In which country are you? Kind regards!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Daaan wrote: »
    Beasty, I am Pablo Dorado´s granddaughter I really would like to keep in contact with you and know the medal.In which country are you? Kind regards!
    Hi Daaan

I have sent you a Private Message about this

I'm sure there must be more than me that collects things - is there any chance of a sticky for this thread as I hate to be seen to keep dragging it back up. :)

Anyway, my latest find, and a really rare item, is an Art Nouveau period letter opener for the Geo H. Lett brewery here in Enniscorthy. I collect all sorts of breweriana and especially anything to do with Lett's brewery - the rich, distant cousins. :D

letter+opener+006.JPG

I've never seen another one and it was a bargain at £8.99

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I'm sure there must be more than me that collects things - is there any chance of a sticky for this thread as I hate to be seen to keep dragging it back up. :)

They say that people tend not to look at sticky threads, I can see why, I've a habit of glancing passed them myself. The bumping of a thread like this stands out more and there's no harm you doing so as it's not like it's a busy forum and the thread needs to be kept alive.

We were told ages ago that forums were not to have more than 3 stickies, something to do with compatibility issues on the mobile site? Dunno if that's changed since...

Keep posting, I'm sure there's plenty of people who appreciate it even if they don't respond. I'll try and get more active myself when I get a chance, just a few things going on ATM.

I've picked up quite a lot of stuff recently, much of it related to Irish movies and quite inexpensive (lobby cards/stills, bootleg DVDs etc.) but a recent upturn in my fortunes with Paddy Power resulted in my splashing out on some art to celebrate. There's a lot bargains out there for those prepared to search and it's only when the paintings get into galleries that they become unobtainable for those of us with limited means.

I purchased several fine landscape paintings by Belfast artist, Joe Lynch, for a pittance. They are large too, so you get a bigger bang for your buck. I feel rather guilty paying so little for them when I see the crazy prices paid for trashy abstract prints (!) by the likes of Sean Scully at the recent Whyte's auction of art from the The Irish Bank Resolution Corporation. Anyway, here's two of them for your consideration - £99.00 including postage for the pair!

The+Beeches+Minnowburn+by+Joe+Lynch.JPG
    "The Beeches, Minnowburn"

Rain+Clouds+Over+Scrabo+by+Joe+Lynch.JPG
    "Rain clouds over Scrabo Tower, Co.Down"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

He can paint ..........

Scully on the other hand .........

Art works in funny ways, it is more about marketing and promotion than talent or skill.

Do they arrive unframed J.D ?

It's hard to see Joe Lynch make much in the way of profit ! good value

• Advertisement

Joe Lynch's paintings come unframed but stretched on a frame. They can be displayed without frames but I fancy protecting them and I'm pricing different options. The third of my recent purchases (below) cost just £30 incl.p+p and I'll be using it for my 2013 Christmas card. Third year that I've done my own with Vistaprint and they have been perfect every time.

Ulster+Snow.JPG

Glens of Antrim near Cushendall by Joe Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Oaky8

I just bought 2 P&T Phone Boxes for Restoration.

Any chance of some pics so that we can see before and after restoration?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Oaky8

Here are some pictures although not great ones showing the state of one of the concrete window frames which are in bad condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Martonio

I collect comics, books and coins. Well my coin collection kinda died a death when the euro came in! However, if/when it fails I will be one lucky guy! haha. There are still many European currencies that I do not have and hardly any Asian coins. :/ It is a modest collection to say the least. When the euro came in I tried stamps... not my cup of tea at ALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Draper

My thing is collecting old Irish antique bottles and stoneware, including stone ginger bottles, dairy cream pots,chemist's pot lids, match strikers, and embossed mineral, whisky, or beer bottles.

At one of our regular bottle collectors meetings,one of the guys brought along some nice beer bottles from Lett's brewery, complete with original labels. we put photos of them up on our "Face Book" site (type in, IRISH ANTIQUE BOTTLE COLLECTOR). By the way, love those Joe Lynch paintings, where might I go about picking one up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I'm collecting Motoring Life magazine, an Irish magazine started in the late 40s, still in print today. I find them at vintage car shows and autojumbles. They're very fragile but contain some great features and period advertising

Image.jpg

Scan0011.jpg

VWCamel.jpg

needless to say if anybody has any lying about, I'd be interested, I also have a few duplicates if anyone else collects them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 Farfalla

I collect Football programmes, tickets and pin badges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Latest bit of breweriana courtesy of Madigan's Bar at Connolly Station and given as opposed to being 'liberated'.

Five Lamps is actually brewed in the Portobello area of Dublin rather than near the Five Lamps but a very collectable glass nonetheless. A nice pint too. :D

FIVE%2BLAMPS%2B-%2BCopy.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In addition to my Sporting Memorabilia collection I also collect limited edition books. Mostly recent (last 30 years or so) and mostly with a music theme. Have at least one copy of most of the books published by Genesis Publications

Also have prints signed by the likes of George Harrison, George Best, David Bowie, Jimmy Page and the like. In fact I probably have getting on for 20 copes of Bowie's signature on various books and prints

Recently started adorning the walls, at my wife's instigation, with a few original Kerry Darlington pieces

Also have quite a few commemorative gold and silver UK coins - did you know they do some that weigh a kilogram? Have a couple of silver ones of that weight, but have so far resisted the temptation to go for a gold one!

Some of the really valuable stuff is locked away in a bank vault, and the stuff I have in museums benefits from their insurance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I'm an eclectic collector of militaria,antiques,curios,bottles,clay pipes,comics,books and matchboxes.

I've been collecting books since i was a kid..i've well over 1000 at this stage.

Many of them (according to amazon at least) are valuable/antiquarian/of irish interest and sadly i'm starting to think about selling most of my collection..the problem is the lack of time needed to catalogue and try to offer them for sale..i don't think books sell very quickly these days either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have a lot of cigar print blocks. They were used for printing the different brand logos onto cigar boxes. As soon as Lazer came in they were obsolete so I gathered them up.

I think they are cool, but I tried to sell a few on eBay/adverts and there was zero interest, so I must be the only weirdo who likes them :)

JJayoo wrote: »
    I have a lot of cigar print blocks. They were used for printing the different brand logos onto cigar boxes. As soon as Lazer came in they were obsolete so I gathered them up.

I think they are cool, but I tried to sell a few on eBay/adverts and there was zero interest, so I must be the only weirdo who likes them :)

I find that older people are the big hoarders/collectors and many of them have only just moved on to electricity from gas lighting - and thus haven't discovered the internet yet. Any pictures of the cigar print blocks as they sound quite interesting! :)

A few here

A few other random bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Hi all,
    First time posting in this section of Boards,huge fan of collecting, just wanted to share my collection of coins and notes from various countries that i started when i was around 8 years old.

All were given to me over the years. Recently was given alot of coins and notes so i started on a new frame and spent the weekend researching and typing up the new additions, really happy with how large it has gotten over the years.Sorry about the quality of the pictures as its hard with the light.

Have loads of extra coins that i am hoping to swap/sell for ones i don't have, thinking about Adverts/coin fairs,any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Fi3RhWYh.jpg
    FZl1ZgFh.jpg
    oEMVWXIh.jpg
    z4uueZnh.jpg
    s4XvIeZh.jpg
    lojy4qzh.jpg
    4y2YGqyh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

I collect retro video games myself and at the moment I am starting to collect charcoal grave stone rubbings especially early ones from 1798 rebellion era.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I collect antique Irish silver, mostly Georgian

I collect antique Irish silver, mostly Georgian

You must be minted?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You must be minted?

Nope..I look out for deals and buy very sporadically. Get some pieces as gifts

• Advertisement

Nope..I look out for deals and buy very sporadically. Get some pieces as gifts

I wasn't having a dig at you but as collecting goes Irish Georgian silver is right up there price wise. These days I'm collecting Art and like you I spend time looking for deals and researching and there are bargains to be had. My latest acquisition below:

bc.jpg

"Becalmed" oil on canvas board by Northern Ireland artist Ronnie McClune.

Advertisement