Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you collect?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It won't come as a surprise to some of you who are familiar with my rants on other forums that I also have a weakness for British Royalty commemorative ware - I blame my Grandmother - but only certain pieces do it for me. People who know me sometimes give me pieces and these invariably find their way to charity shops. The two mugs and the cup and saucer below are amongst my favourites, the 1935 George V & Queen Mary Silver Jubilee mug by Spode cost almost nothing and was in the suitcase of mud see post #47; the cup and saucer are interesting as they were issued to commemorate the 1937 Coronation of Edward VII which, of course, never took place; the Queen Elizabeth II mug is a mass produced item but has the quintessential image of the Queen on the occasion of her Silver Jubilee in 1977. Interestingly neither the Edward VII or Elizabeth II items have any manufacturers markings on them. The Edward VII commemorative ware must have burnt a lot of manufacturers and retailers.
    cups001.jpg
    The final two items commemorate the 1981 wedding of Lady Diana Spencer to the Prince of Wales - a highpoint for monarchyphiles (?) like myself - and, surprisingly, the rather nice plate came from a remainder sale at Arklow Pottery. The tankard, which I no longer like but haven't the heart to get rid of, came from a souvenir shop in Wales. Those of you who don't share my love for the monarchy will be pleased to know that the offending items are kept out of public view in my home. Each to his own. Something less controversial next time. What about some of the rest of you putting up some more of your MND (mind numbing dross)? :D
    royal004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I think im an avid collector (some may call me a hoarder:D) i started with comic books and baseball cards in the states, then records, then music production magazines, then star wars stuff, then air jordans and superman stuff!! The list goes on and on!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Hi all i collect books of match's and match box's i have about 1000 mostly 20 or 30 years old some are from the fifties :)

Hi all i collect books of match's and match box's i have about 1000 mostly 20 or 30 years old some are from the fifties :)

I have a few of these myself (kept stored in a tin as I'm afraid of them spontaneously combusting) and will post a pic when I find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Glastofarian

<snip>:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Bananas:pac:

Glastofarian please don't post pointless replies to threads that all here take seriously.Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Irish paper currency from the 1920's to the 1970's.

Specifically the lady lavery banknotes. I've been at it for 3-4 years with about 100 notes so far.

My favourite souvenir of my travels has always been the ticket, be it rail, sea or an admission ticket - after all, anybody can buy the mug and the t-shirt but there's something unique about the ticket that you have used. Like so many other things in my collection I have downsized here too but have kept some of the more interesting ones. I should imagine the ticket for the Transport Museum Society of Ireland's Castleruddery Depot is the rare one here! Note the commercial initiative of the Groudle Glen Railway in issuing Dog tickets - on the Isle of Man Steam Railway they go free.
    tickets007.jpg

Some more rare ones here. The CIE Footplate Pass which I used to get every year for travel on the Weedspraying train was almost impossible to obtain but in those days I was in good standing with the Board.
    The two unissued C&L tickets - the first of the run for the 'new' Cavan & Leitrim Railway are ultra rare and will be going on eBay eventually.

tickets005.jpg

A few more here - my favourite being the one from the "Pullman Lounge" on the St.Columba. For a few pounds extra you could upgrade on the ship and escape from the screaming kids and drunks - must people assumed it cost a fortune and I did nothing to put them right and it was easy to get your small outlay back by partaking in the FREE refreshments with a will! A member of staff was positioned outside the lounge doors to keep the unwashed at bay - shades of steerage on the Titanic! :D

tickets004.jpg

• Advertisement

The last few here - I promise. My favourite here is from Oakworth on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in Yorkshire where the original Railway Children film was shot. I searched in vain for Jenny Agutter - her loss. :D
    I also had a thing about baling out at station platforms and making a sprint for the platform ticket machine to get a souvenir of my brief passing - dangerous if your luggage was still on the train. The Devil's Bridge (Aberystwyth) one presented no such problem as it is a terminal station.

tickets003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

All in excellent condition !

I Love the old tickets. I'd like to see some more old CIE train tickets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Me too..i've 1000's of them in my shed!

shell004.jpg
    These posters produced by Shell Oil in the 1950s remind me of my earliest days at primary school and I have only recently begun to collect them in earnest. It started with buying small copies used for advertising in Country Life/The Illustrated London News etc but I soon realised that I wanted the full size items from my childhood. The posters were designed for hanging in the classroom and come with a metal strip top and bottom plus a hanger. The metal strip is usually rusting or missing and, in any event, will have to be removed for framing. Many are the work of renowned artist John Leigh-Pemberton (1911-1997) and represent a relatively cheap way of acquiring copies of his superb work. The image size is large too, 17 inches x 13 inches and on stiff glossy paper. It is difficult to find words to describe these wonderfully evocative pictures and I'm just hoping that they will gently steer my sons towards nature rather than trains! :D

They appear on eBay from time to time in varying states of disrepair and can be had for as little €25, but once they reach a dealer or auction house you can forget it. The site below offers some for sale @ £75 inc postage.

http://www.heatons-of-tisbury.co.uk/posters15.html

shell005.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of this image but it is just to show the overall poster which comes complete with silhouette identification panel - making it ideal for children. The overall size is 20 x 24 inches.

shell003.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Mylesie

Any collectors of British or German cap badges etc? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Mylesie,you could try the Militaria sub forum here on Collectibles and Antiques for subjects relating to German and British cap badges.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1003

I forgot to mention in my previous post this book: The Migration of Birds as observed at Irish Lighthouses and Light-ships (1900) by Richard Manliffe Barrington. This is a monumental work running to 667 pages and based on extensive research in the late 1890's - one can only imagine the difficulty in compiling such information in the pre-telephone/helicopter/computer/internet era. Only 350 copies were printed and many are reported to have been put to 'other' uses by lighthouse keepers! The very occasional copy pops up at auction - about once every decade - and some years ago Mealy's in Castlecomer sold a copy for several thousand Euros. The good news is that a high quality reprint is being worked on and may even appear this year.

I post this and lo and behold a month later one comes up for sale in London! I only heard about it today (the sale was on the 27th May) and it plus 18 other Irish bird titles went for half nothing - £750 plus buyers commission! See link here: http://www.bloomsbury-book-auct.com/detail/720/183.0 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gerard974

Hi friends collectors
    i collect world coins and i have many from Madagascar and Mauritius island for to swapp .Is the list of coins missing for Ireland

IRLANDE RECHERCHEES

REPUBLIC

VALUE
    YEAR
    Ref KM
    OBSERVATIONS

farthing
    1928 to 1937
    woodcock
    just one year
    farthing
    1939 to 1966
    woodcock
    just one year
    1/2 penny
    1928 to 1937
    Sow
    just one year
    3 pence
    1939 and 1940
    Hare
    just one year
    6 pence
    1928 to 1935
    wolf hound
    just one year
    6 pence
    1939 and 1940
    wolf hound
    just one year
    1 shilling
    1928 to 1937
    Bull
    just one year
    1 shilling
    1939 to 1942
    Bull
    just one year
    1 florin
    1928 to 1937
    Salmon
    just one year
    1 florin
    1939 to 1943
    Salmon
    just one year
    1/2 crown
    1928 to 1937
    Horse
    just one year
    1/2 crown
    1939 to 1943
    Horse
    just one year
    1/2 crown
    1951 to 1967
    16a
    Horse
    just one year
    10 shilling
    50th Ann.

DECIMAL COINAGE

VALUE
    YEAR
    Ref KM
    OBSERVATIONS

50 pence
    Dublin millenium

punt
    Millenium Harp

Best regards Gerard

• Advertisement

From my earliest years of reading I always read and collected by author/series such as all the Famous Five, Secret Seven by Enid Blyton, everything by Alistair MacLean , everything by William Trevor, Jennifer Johnston, John McGahern, J.G.Farrell etc.etc. In recent years, as I discover new authors, I try to read the books in the order that they appeared and while this can lead to a delay while the collection is assembled I find it worth the wait. I make exceptions in cases like William Trevor as he has written so many books and some of the early ones are extremely hard to find/afford.
    A long time love affair with the writings of John Buchan (of "The Thirty Nine Steps" fame) has led to me collecting everything to do with that book/film and related works. I have various editions of "The Thirty Nine Steps" itself and the four little known sequels which for some reason never made it into film despite the original being into a movie on three occasions and a recent BBC mini-series. I also have an excellent audio tape two cassette tape of it read by Jack Davenport and only today have discovered that several other audio cassettes are also available with different readers. I have seen all the different versions of the movie over the years and against the trend I would have to say my favourite is the 1959 remake starring Kenneth Moore and Taina Elg which was panned by many critics. The 1978 adaption starring Robert Powell was truly awful and, in my opinion, only surpassed by the ghastly BBC mini-series which I still had to have for reasons of completion. While I wait for more film releases (!) I am now seeking out movie posters and lobby cards for the different versions - these are still obtainable on eBay and elsewhere and as John Buchan is something of an obscurity these days prices are quite reasonable. The original title "The Thirty Nine Steps" appears to be out of copyright and once I get my 1798 title out of the way I may be tempted to produce my own edition - surely the ultimate tribute from a collector? Anyway a few of my John Buchan collection below and a few of the posters I am on the point of buying.

For those interested in more information about John Buchan, a most prolific author, soldier and one time Governor General of Canada and "The 39 Steps": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Buchan,_1st_Baron_Tweedsmuir and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Nine_Steps

johnbuchan006.jpg
    kennethmoore39steps.jpg

The movie poster for the awful 1978 movie starring Robert Powell and a rather attractive recent edition of "The Thirty Nine Steps" from Penguin Books.

thethirtyninesteps320x2.jpg
    buchanthirtyninestepsbo.jpg

Anybody else suffer from this serial collecting compulsion with authors and their works? :)

I discovered tonight while searching for info on the Hannay TV series, a spin-off from the 1978 'Thirty Nine Steps' movie, that 'The Three Hostages' was in fact adapted for BBC television in 1977. Like so many low-key BBC productions it doesn't appear to have been released on video or DVD. :(

Just went ahead and bought the complete 1988 Thames Television 'Hannay' boxed DVD set (13 episodes) on eBay for £12.24 incl.p+p. Something for the winter and my Guinness impaired memory tells me the series was a damn sight better than the movie - it can't have been worse!

51mUPAuiBLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The plot thickens as I have just discovered that the BBC did a 6 episode b+w TV adaption of 'The Three Hostages' as far back as 1952 featuring a cast of (to me) unknowns. Again not available on video or DVD but I shall contact the Beeb for an update.

I saw the play once. It was actually pretty good, of course it would depend on who and where you see it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_39_Steps_%28play%29

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I saw the play once. It was actually pretty good, of course it would depend on who and where you see it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_39_Steps_%28play%29

I believe the play is excellent but I'm not sure that I want to see it as it's a comedy which doesn't seem right to me. I mean look at the pic below - I would never be able to take the story seriously again. :D
    It was on at the Wexford Opera House earlier this year but I couldn't get to see it or get a poster for my collection.

39stepsmahon460a.jpg

I believe the play is excellent but I'm not sure that I want to see it as it's a comedy which doesn't seem right to me. I mean look at the pic below - I would never be able to take the story seriously again. :D

It was fun. Its written for four actors/actresses and as long as its decently performed you'll enjoy it and I dont think it'll affect your respect for the original! No more than seeing robert powell as hannay at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seandel

For me it’s football programmes and books. Mainly Dundalk FC stuff, but also programmes from Irish clubs in European competition, Ireland internationals (all levels) domestic cup finals etc. I have maybe 800 Dundalk programmes and maybe another thousand or so from other Irish clubs, European finals, Liverpool and other UK clubs, all built up over the years. Then there’s the tickets and other collectibles!

I’ve got quite a few football books at this stage, probably about 300 and 50 or so from the 50s back- the interesting ones.

Then there are quite a number of other sports books and programmes! Programmes, tickets etc from events I’ve been too (GAA, golf, F1 etc) and I tend to ‘inherit’ lots of bits and pieces from friends and family.

I’ve also got a few hundred coins from around the world and a nice selection of old Irish/UK coins, including a couple going back to the 1600s.

seandel - sounds like you've got the collecting bug bad - there's probably no cure. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

Coins in general. I particularly love coins from states/nations that no longer exist, I have Mainly Soviet and Nazi coins, a few pre communist Russian coins, oldest is from 1730's.

• Advertisement

Everyone to their own but €350 for Dev's signature wouldn't float my boat. Did you buy it? :D

Advertisement