Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Running Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Is the activity private? I can't see it. Maybe you need to add me or I add you?

try now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

February Table :D:cool: We have a leader!

* denotes bonus point to be added if challenge completed
    ?? need a time limit (10k or double 5k rounded to nearest minute)

Pos|Runner|Jan Pts|Feb Elv|Feb Pts|Time Limit|Total
    2|jamule*|15|362m Climb|20|36|36
    1|Murph_D*|18|183m Reps|19|42|38
    3|Annie get your Run*|9|150m Reps|18|58|28
    4|Omeceron*|20|||45|20
    4|BeginnerRunner*|20|||50|20
    6|fletch*|19|||40|19
    7|crisco10*|18|||37|18
    7|Swashbuckler*|18|||37|18
    7|healy1835*|18|||34|18
    7|eyrie*|18|||50|18
    11|Unknown Unthought|17|||??|17
    12|shotgunmcos*|16|||40|16
    13|Lambay Island*|14|||36|14
    14|Dudda|13|||??|13
    15|mister paul*|12|||42|12
    16|Comic Book Guy*|11|||39|11
    17|Kander*|10|||40|10
    17|Wubble Wubble*|10|||45|10
    19|skyblue46*|8|||54|8
    20|En Passant*|7|||48|7
    21|omicron*|6|||34|6
    22|ReeReeG*|5|||45|5
    23|dna_leri*|4|||35|4
    24|Huzzah*|3|||58|3
    25|Dubh Geannain*|2|||37|2
    26|Zico10*|1|||35|1
    27|Laineyfrecks*|1|||44|1
    28|Pheredykes*|1|||58|1
    29|Kurt_Godel*|1|||44|1
    30|eposhea*||||47|
    31|OOnegative*||||40|
    32|edinrunna*||||37|
    33|TFBubendorfer||||42|
    34|AMK||||??|
    35|jackc101||||49|
    36|py||||46|
    37|racersedge||||44|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

jamule wrote: »
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4721847086

Some craic coming down on my arse in a river!

lol, thanks for the recce run! ;-)

Also, gonna bump my question about the buggy be allowed or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

crisco10 wrote: »
    Also, gonna bump my question about the buggy be allowed or not?

Are you planning to ride it on the downward section? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Here's my first stab at it anyway. A paltry 183m.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6208060471

Garmin is giving me the better elevation gain so that's what I'm declaring, assuming this is OK?

Tried the hill repeats option, on what what is possibly the steepest hill in the 5k radius. Thanks to skyblue for the tip.

With 42 mins to play with and about 3 mins per up and down, the final rep was 3 mins but gave me the same elevation gain as the 80 sec version despite continuing uphill (less severely) for the extra time. Could have cried when I saw that later. Was hoping for at least 225m from this, so very disappointing! It means I know I can beat this if I do it again, but doubt if it will be worth it.

Either way, an excellent workout, so well worth the participation. Great challenge!

541788.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That's a great effort Murph and brave being the guinea pig.

If the discrepancies are glaring between the hill reps and the continuous hill runs, which looks quite possible going by the first two, would it be worth differentiating between the two types? Split the points between them or allocate two sets of points, whichever suits.

It'd probably put more hassle on you though Shotgun. Although the league table could very easily sort itself out once everyone's efforts are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

I missed out on the January challenge but with nothing on the horizon, this is definitely worth a crack, even if it kills me! I need to chuck a 10k time, don’t I? It’s been an age since I’ve done one hard, but when I did it was about 44mins.

Have a couple of inclines in the vicinity that could be worth it. A .75k drag into Killenard is the early favourite, as I used it for hill climbs last year training for a marathon. Might have a scoot about to see if there are any other options to kill myself on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Also gave this a shot this evening on my 'easy' run. Thought it'd be better TBH and seeing Murph's hill repeats when I'm surrounded by bloody hills here is :rolleyes::rolleyes::pac:

strava is here but as with D's, garmin is giving me the better of the two will 150m.

Are we saying that hill repeats is the way to go for higher gain?

Also gave this a shot this evening on my 'easy' run. Thought it'd be better TBH and seeing Murph's hill repeats when I'm surrounded by bloody hills here is :rolleyes::rolleyes::pac:

strava is here but as with D's, garmin is giving me the better of the two will 150m.

Garmin link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

46 minutes for my 10Km time. Unsure if I'll get to do it just yet.

• Advertisement

Garmin link?

Garmin Link I have another route to try so I think I'll improve on that considerably..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

OOnegative wrote: »
    Done a recce this morning, but the difference in elevation gain on Strava and Garmin is miles apart:

Strava - Elevation gain - 428ft
    Garmin - Elevation gain- 218ft

Ok so today’s recce is where it’s at for me, no possible higher points here in Den Haag. 40 mins of torture awaits on sand softer than TbL’s flaccid man bits!!!!

That's a great effort Murph and brave being the guinea pig.

If the discrepancies are glaring between the hill reps and the continuous hill runs, which looks quite possible going by the first two, would it be worth differentiating between the two types? Split the points between them or allocate two sets of points, whichever suits.

It'd probably put more hassle on you though Shotgun. Although the league table could very easily sort itself out once everyone's efforts are in.

That's a decent idea. Let's see how it goes. If the mountain runs are all way above hill reps and its as close as the poll I might consider options with the points. If there was no 5k lockdown I'd go for a mountain too.

Garmin Link I have another route to try so I think I'll improve on that considerably..

Cant access that for some reason. I'm on phone or maybe we need to be linked dunno..

Cant access that for some reason. I'm on phone or maybe we need to be linked dunno..

Attached

Is a cool down allowed after you have run your allotted minutes? Or is that seen as going over your time?

I wouldn't say that, but it depends on the hill. For instance, I could have gotten the same elevation gain with a easy enough jog up Howth to the Summit Pub then add on a few repeats up to the Summit car park and back to the pub to max it out. You'll remember that last bit if you've ever done the Fat Turkey race. If all that was within 5k of course.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Is a cool down allowed after you have run your allotted minutes? Or is that seen as going over your time?

Start and finish anywhere you like, B, so the cool down is separate. So is the warmup! At least you don't have to worry about the 5k from home limit, that's handy.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Start and finish anywhere you like, B, so the cool down is separate. So is the warmup! At least you don't have to worry about the 5k from home limit, that's handy.

Cool, thanks D, I wasn’t to sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

First attempt in the hill in Tramore Valley Park this morning - I was definitely being kind to myself, with that hill and the overall pace, only gave it welly on the last 5 minutes.
    Strategy wise I probably won't use the park again, you get too much of a breather between reps or else I need to push a lot harder going downhill. Might give the hill into Douglas or Frankfield a go next week.

Alarming difference between Garmin (50m FFS!) and Strava 160m

• Advertisement

jackc101 wrote: »
    First attempt in the hill in Tramore Valley Park this morning - I was definitely being kind to myself, with that hill and the overall pace, only gave it welly on the last 5 minutes.
    Strategy wise I probably won't use the park again, you get too much of a breather between reps or else I need to push a lot harder going downhill. Might give the hill into Douglas or Frankfield a go next week.

Alarming difference between Garmin (50m FFS!) and Strava 160m

Hey well done, seems the hill reps are starting to come in around 50% of a continuous climb. It would make sense in that you are spending 50% of your time descending. As I mentioned further up the thread I'll consider separating the points but I'll let it evolve and see how many have access to mountains.

I'll take the Strava reading but I can't access that Garmin link. I'd be interested to see the delta between Strava and Garmin. Chiefly because folk will understandably submit the higher of the 2 readings :)

February Table Update #3

* denotes bonus point to be added if challenge completed
    ?? need a time limit (10k or double 5k rounded to nearest minute)

O/A Pos|Runner|Jan Pts|Feb Elv|Feb Pts|Time Limit|Total
    1|crisco10*|18|439m Climb|19|37|38
    2|Murph_D*|18|183m Reps|16|42|35
    2|Lambay Island*|14|442m Climb|20|36|35
    4|jamule*|15|362m Climb|18|36|34
    5|Annie get your Run*|9|150m Reps|14|58|24
    6|Omeceron*|20|||45|20
    6|BeginnerRunner*|20|||50|20
    8|fletch*|19|||40|19
    9|eposhea*||307m Reps|17|47|18
    9|Swashbuckler*|18|||37|18
    9|healy1835*|18|||34|18
    9|eyrie*|18|||50|18
    13|Unknown Unthought|17|||??|17
    14|shotgunmcos*|16|||40|16
    15|jackc101||160m Reps|15|49|15
    16|Dudda|13|||??|13
    17|mister paul*|12|||42|12
    18|Comic Book Guy*|11|||39|11
    19|Kander*|10|||40|10
    20|Wubble Wubble*|10|||45|10
    21|skyblue46*|8|||54|8
    22|En Passant*|7|||48|7
    23|omicron*|6|||34|6
    24|ReeReeG*|5|||45|5
    25|dna_leri*|4|||35|4
    26|Huzzah*|3|||58|3
    27|Dubh Geannain*|2|||37|2
    28|Zico10*|1|||35|1
    28|Laineyfrecks*|1|||44|1
    28|Pheredykes*|1|||58|1
    28|Kurt_Godel*|1|||44|1
    32|OOnegative*||||40|
    32|edinrunna*||||37|
    32|TFBubendorfer||||42|
    32|AMK||||??|
    32|py||||46|
    32|racersedge||||44|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thought I better do this before the poll flips. :) Mountain on doorstep is quite handy here.

442 metres on strava v 435 Garmin

The Poll is closed!

It was perhaps a little vague but results are as follows

Finish on Top - Continuous climbs accepted - 57%
    Finish at bottom - Need to do at least one rep - 43%

To be clear - You can start and finish wherever you like within your time limit

What I wanted to know was it fair that some have a mountain to climb, thus continuous uphill vs those who have to do repetitions of some sort

My summary understanding - please call me out of I am way off?
    Continuous climb = 80-100% elevation (A mountain)
    Hill Reps = 50-75% (10+ reps .....2 reps of 1 big hill)

Options
    A) Keep same points system 20,19, 18..... 1, 1, 1
    B) Split points: Climb 10,9,8....1,1,1 Hill Reps 10,9,8....1,1,1
    C) Same points system for both Climbs & Hill Reps

Credit I think to Dubh Geannain for the idea and I tend to agree. Assuming the continuous climb options will take all the top spots or potentially all of the points, everyone who mashes themselves on hill reps (descending is probably as tough on the legs) will have little chance to compete overall this month.

So... my proposal is option C. Its win-win for all IMO. Just more work for me to manage the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Option C sounds great to me..very much seems to be a silo'ed challenge so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fair play shotgun - if you're willing to take on the extra work, option C does sound like a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just looking for a little bit of clarification on Rule #2 please M. Is it the 5k from home rule or is it within 5k of a workplace, family member, essential shop etc that one is allowed visit for essential reasons and you then do a non essential run while you're there?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just looking for a little bit of clarification on Rule #2 please M. Is it the 5k from home rule or is it within 5k of a workplace, family member, essential shop etc that one is allowed visit for essential reasons and you then do a non essential run while you're there?

Rule#2 based on government L5 advice

People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home.

I'll leave it up to each person to be responsible and comply with public health advice.

Now.. jamule, Murph_D, AGYR, Lambay Island... all good boys n gals yeah?

Rule#2 based on government L5 advice

People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home.

I'll leave it up to each person to be responsible and comply with public health advice.

Now.. jamule, Murph_D, AGYR, Lambay Island... all good boys n gals yeah?

My hill is definitely within my 5k from home radius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Murph_D wrote: »
    My hill is definitely within my 5k from home radius!

As was mine

Advertisement