Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Running Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just to keep a track of new participants before I create the table again (I'll do that for whoever comes in first with a result so they can sit at 20 points for a while :))

AMK
    jackc101
    TFBubendorfer

Ye need to commit to a time limit lads :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I did a 42 min 10k TT on a treadmill last month. https://www.strava.com/activities/4590817736

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

So who else is thinking they'll just wait until the last few days of Feb to see how everyone else did and then completely send it?

I don't think I'd be up for this run twice.

Was actually thinking along the same lines but that I would do an effort early in month and see how it fares then have another go at end of month if needs be. I.e have max recovery time. This won’t be like January where you could multiple attempts in a week.

Edit: also, would the buggy actually be against the rules? Fine if so, just not sure if you were joking or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I think ill try a few partial route variations every weekend and then try to put together the final route. Some of the steepest hills are far apart so will require a decision as to which to use, or else pick up the pace between them which I doubt I could get away with.

I won't get the highest result but plan to have a lot of fun along the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Ha, yes its almost feels like cheating if I do this with my location.

Stocking Lane * 2-3 reps and then straight up to Cruagh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Boys oh boys I was not expecting that!

No idea where to even start with that one.... Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Boys oh boys I was not expecting that!

No idea where to even start with that one.... Yikes.
    Out to Cratloe woods with ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

MY BAD wrote: »
    Out to Cratloe woods with ya ;)

Am I allowed into Co. Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

py wrote: »
    Stocking Lane * 2-3 reps and then straight up to Cruagh?

I could get as far as entrance to Cruagh but then outside range. I can get up to Fairy Castle via Kilmashogue or Ticknock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

I could get as far as entrance to Cruagh but then outside range. I can get up to Fairy Castle via Kilmashogue or Ticknock though.

Some good options there. I've been trying to minimise repeats to avoid wasting time not ascending. Still tinkering with routes that fall within 5Km. Stocking Lane > Mount Venus > Masseys > Viewpoint gets about 350-360m ascent.Repeats on Kilmashogue lane is another option as there's some serious elevation on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

py wrote: »
    Some good options there. I've been trying to minimise repeats to avoid wasting time not ascending. Still tinkering with routes that fall within 5Km. Stocking Lane > Mount Venus > Masseys > Viewpoint gets about 350-360m ascent.Repeats on Kilmashogue lane is another option as there's some serious elevation on it.

The hard bit for me is starting point. I also agree always ascending is better but which is better a very minor gradient at start of run or doing a few repeats on steep part of ticknock for example at end of run.

Such a great planning challenge. And none of it will mean anything when legs and or lungs go kaput

February Table :D:cool:

* denotes bonus point to be added if challenge completed
    ?? need a time limit (10k or double 5k rounded to nearest minute)

Pos|Runner|Jan Pts|Feb Elv|Feb Pts|Time Limit|Total
    1|Omeceron*|20|||45|20
    1|BeginnerRunner*|20|||50|20
    3|fletch*|19|||40|19
    4|crisco10*|18|||37|18
    4|Swashbuckler*|18|||37|18
    4|Murph_D*|18|||42|18
    4|healy1835*|18|||34|18
    4|eyrie*|18|||50|18
    9|Unknown Unthought|17|||??|17
    10|shotgunmcos*|16|||40|16
    11|jamule*|15|||36|15
    12|Lambay Island*|14|||36|14
    13|Dudda|13|||??|13
    14|mister paul*|12|||42|12
    15|Comic Book Guy*|11|||39|11
    16|Kander*|10|||40|10
    17|Wubble Wubble*|10|||45|10
    18|Annie get your Run*|9|||58|9
    19|skyblue46*|8|||54|8
    20|En Passant*|7|||48|7
    21|omicron*|6|||34|6
    22|ReeReeG*|5|||45|5
    23|dna_leri*|4|||35|4
    24|Huzzah*|3|||58|3
    25|Dubh Geannain*|2|||37|2
    26|Zico10*|1|||35|1
    27|Laineyfrecks*|1|||44|1
    28|Pheredykes*|1|||58|1
    29|Kurt_Godel*|1|||44|1
    30|eposhea*||||47|
    31|OOnegative*||||40|
    32|edinrunna*||||37|
    33|TFBubendorfer||||42|
    34|AMK||||??|
    35|jackc101||||49|
    36|py||||??|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great idea M although I don't expect to be thanking you whenever I do this!
    Already experiencing phantom dry retching at the thoughts of 39 mins of this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

When I originally submitted my time I was guessing off 5/10k paces. I've done a 3k TT recently that projects a do-able squeeze time of 24ish mins for 5k. I'm 100% confident I'd get around in 25 mins which would put me at 50, not the 55 I originally submitted.

Do you want to change it or leave it as is? Kinda feel like I'm taking the p!ss with an extra 5 minutes and a 200m high hill outside gaff :D

EDIT: should also clarify this has absolutely nothing whatsoever, at all, with me wanting it to be over 5 minutes sooner.... nope... not that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'm presuming you'll be applying some kind of 'County Flatness' algorithm to the results here M? :) Only seems fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

healy1835 wrote: »
    I'm presuming you'll be applying some kind of 'County Flatness' algorithm to the results here M? :) Only seems fair...

In that case Northside Dublin is flatter than Southside. More calls to split the Dubs now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919447-Elevation-for-Your-Activity
    How Elevation is calculated
    It is important to remember that elevation data from all sources (barometric altimeters, GPS signals, and databases) is subject to error and that the elevation gain for an activity is an estimate. We are always working on improving our elevation data sets and algorithms.
    there are many uncontrollable variables involved in calculating elevation gain. These variables can lead to exaggerated elevation totals, particularly if the activity takes place in an international, mountainous or coastal region.

Should be fun :D

BTW - 1 ft = 0.3048 m - are we metric or imperial?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Done a recce this morning, but the difference in elevation gain on Strava and Garmin is miles apart:

Strava - Elevation gain - 428ft
    Garmin - Elevation gain- 218ft

Do you want to change it or leave it as is? Kinda feel like I'm taking the p!ss with an extra 5 minutes and a 200m high hill outside gaff :D

EDIT: should also clarify this has absolutely nothing whatsoever, at all, with me wanting it to be over 5 minutes sooner.... nope... not that

Happy to revise estimates down. I will NOT add time.
    healy1835 wrote: »
    That was sort of the reason for the poll. Current 60%/40% in favour of allowing a continuous uphill climb.. if you happen to have one close by.

Warning!! I can apply a 5k radius to anyone's starting point and/or your usual starting point (which presumably is home). Rule#2 is as rigid as well, a rigid thing :D
    dna_leri wrote: »
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919447-Elevation-for-Your-Activity

Should be fun :D

BTW - 1 ft = 0.3048 m - are we metric or imperial?

Dear Jesus metric please for this one :eek: I will not be held accountable for shabby imperial conversions!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Done a recce this morning, but the difference in elevation gain on Strava and Garmin is miles apart:

Edit: Your total run for 1hr13 showed 130m elevation for me. Assuming most of your recce of that was within 40 mins, thats what I would have taken from Strava. I did zoom in and can make out you crossed 3-4 contour lines so that at least 40m of elevation for just those 2 lumps :) Assuming the rest was failry flat, it would seem Garmin was accurate.

Ideally post a pic of your garmin for this one but I'll take Strava if no other validation. You take the chances when you run up a mountain or between buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I had to go into the office in Sandyford so I done an attempt at lunch (it may become the 'one' if i dont have a good reason to go into the office for the rest of the month)

Was under pressure for time so could only go up for 34mins. 1st 5mins was flat and had another 80mts of uphill left to climb, I'm guessing 450m is possible.

Not much difference between the watch and Strava-

Strava- 365m
    Garmin-362m

I tried a hill at home yesterday. 350m = +20m , up and down in 3 mins.= 240m.
    There is not much chance of reps getting anywhere near going straight up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

OOnegative wrote: »

1) if there's such a big difference, the lower number is almost certain to be the more accurate one.
    2) In the "Overview" page in Strava on the web version (not the app), click on "Elevation (?)" (above "Elapsed Time"). It's is a link that opens a box with a "Correct Elevation" button. Try that.

I can only see Strava elevation in Feet, for me and everyone else. Anyone know how to change that? Garmin showing me metres.

jamule wrote: »
    I had to go into the office in Sandyford so I done an attempt at lunch (it may become the 'one' if i dont have a good reason to go into the office for the rest of the month)

Was under pressure for time so could only go up for 34mins. 1st 5mins was flat and had another 80mts of uphill left to climb, I'm guessing 450m is possible.

Not much difference between the watch and Strava-

Strava- 365m
    Garmin-362m

I tried a hill at home yesterday. 350m = +20m , up and down in 3 mins.= 240m.
    There is not much chance of reps getting anywhere near going straight up.

Cool, and you were close enough to your 36min limit anyway. If you have a link I can put you up as the lead on the table :)

I can only see Strava elevation in Feet, for me and everyone else. Anyone know how to change that? Garmin showing me metres.

On Strava/settings/display preferences. If you choose kilometres and kilograms you will see everything metric.

Cool, and you were close enough to your 36min limit anyway. If you have a link I can put you up as the lead on the table :)

If you put me on the table can I do it again?

On Strava/settings/display preferences. If you choose kilometres and kilograms you will see everything metric.

Feic that! Now everything is in gobbledegook :pac:. Good to know I can switch and switch back. Thanks.

If you put me on the table can I do it again?

Yup :D Rule#4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Feic that! Now everything is in gobbledegook . Good to know I can switch and switch back. Thanks.

Well I think the person viewing sees it in what way their own setting is so you wouldn't need to change if you just link it... Unless you're just curious of course!

Yup :D Rule#4 :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/4721847086

Some craic coming down on my arse in a river!

• Advertisement

https://www.strava.com/activities/4721847086

Some craic coming down on my arse in a river!

Is the activity private? I can't see it. Maybe you need to add me or I add you?

Advertisement