Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running issues specific to women

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I have to admit, I've never really noticed any effects with my cycle, certainly nothing I could pinpoint. I also have a pretty easy time finding sports bras etc, and I never suffer from chafing (as I have skin like an old boot!)

(I am however very much there for all the shorts recommendations - shorts that don't make me look terrible from the back and that have pockets are a holy grail for me! Once, at the VHI WMM, a drone flew around behind me and included my rear view in a promotional video - and that's when I learned that the club's kelly-green Nike tempo shorts were NOT flattering :pac:)

The main female-specific thing I noticed when I started running - and this may be cultural* rather than biological - was that I just didn't have the endurance that similarly new-to-running / unfit men had.

Men I knew could take up running, and go out and run 8 or 10k straight away. they might be tired, they might have sore legs the next day, but they could do it. I genuinely couldn't. And the same when I started Pilates - it really took me a couple of years to work up to 20 push up - men would come in, no experience, hadn't done any core work, and they'd just bang out a set of push ups.

(* I know this is changing, but I'm 44, and I think a lot of women of my age dropped out of sports relatively early, before coming back as adults, and until maybe a decade ago, women didn't tend to a lot of strength work in the gym, so maybe the reason men could just grit out a 5 mile run was because they'd been keeping a base level of fitness that I hadn't).

ETA: I wrote an article for Irish Runner mag a few issues ago that was all about strength training, and why it's good for women, what I (& my interviewees :-) ) like about it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Great thread, thanks for starting especially for all the running wear advice. I must be a bit of a misfit as I just run in my standard underwear and haven't noticed any issues even on long runs. Bras are another thing altogether though and I do love shock absorber but they are pricey. Must look for cheaper ones on amazon. I did get a super bra from Dunnes last year which was for high impact sports and it's my favourite but this year I cannot get another one, they only stock medium impact now. I'm 34D after coming down from a 34E with weightloss. I too am pushing towards the wither and die stage and only back at running successfully a year now - if I wither and die I hope to be running when I do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

juke wrote: »
    AFAIK, Stacy Sims mentioned an app just for that in one of her podcasts - where you grant you coach access and s/he can then interpret the data specifically for you. I will listen back.

Yep, FitrCoach - it's an extension of FitrWoman, a period tracking app. with training & nutrition suggestions (as mentioned by chickey in the OP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I have to admit, I've never really noticed any effects with my cycle, certainly nothing I could pinpoint. I also have a pretty easy time finding sports bras etc, and I never suffer from chafing (as I have skin like an old boot!)

(I am however very much there for all the shorts recommendations - shorts that don't make me look terrible from the back and that have pockets are a holy grail for me! Once, at the VHI WMM, a drone flew around behind me and included my rear view in a promotional video - and that's when I learned that the club's kelly-green Nike tempo shorts were NOT flattering :pac:)

The main female-specific thing I noticed when I started running - and this may be cultural* rather than biological - was that I just didn't have the endurance that similarly new-to-running / unfit men had.

Men I knew could take up running, and go out and run 8 or 10k straight away. they might be tired, they might have sore legs the next day, but they could do it. I genuinely couldn't. And the same when I started Pilates - it really took me a couple of years to work up to 20 push up - men would come in, no experience, hadn't done any core work, and they'd just bang out a set of push ups.

(* I know this is changing, but I'm 44, and I think a lot of women of my age dropped out of sports relatively early, before coming back as adults, and until maybe a decade ago, women didn't tend to a lot of strength work in the gym, so maybe the reason men could just grit out a 5 mile run was because they'd been keeping a base level of fitness that I hadn't).

ETA: I wrote an article for Irish Runner mag a few issues ago that was all about strength training, and why it's good for women, what I (& my interviewees :-) ) like about it etc.

That was a great article i read it thanks.

For shock absorber fans I've bought them very cheap (as little £8) on ASOS.com. I love them but i don't need a very big size :cool:

I've only recently starting using the new feature in GC. On one hand i'm interested in the physiological effects but on another hand i wonder if it will effect me negatively to go into a race knowing/thinking it's not a good TOTM to race at :confused:

I wonder HA of those men who can just go and run 8k at the drop of a hat - how many keep it up? We may be slower to take off but do we ultimately have more longevity because are we are more sensible in our approach?

But i hear you i'm the same generation as you. I remember at one stage in national school the girls did sewing/knitting while the boys played football :mad: We had no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunriserun

Hi all,

Thanks for starting this chickey2, great idea for a thread. +1 on the Shock Absorber running bras, I find them fantastic and if you don't mind unusual colours there's often deals on wiggle.co.uk and sportspursuit.com. Also thanks for posting up the podcasts from Stacy Sims, they are fascinating and a lot of it rings true for me.
    I find that my biggest issue as a female runner centers around safety. Due to life logistics I do nearly all my running early in the morning, it's fine in summer but in winter this means running in the dark alone. I don't feel afraid as such, just constantly on high alert I guess, there's no way I'd listen to music and would be cautious re routes etc. Also when I say safety I mean with regard attack rather than road safety. I live in a city so all my running is off road or on footpaths. My caution may well be unfounded as I have never been hassled while running early in the morning. It has happened that I've been hassled occassionally running in the evening but I've never felt in danger as there is usually plenty people around. I'm not generally an overly cautious person and was wondering if any other females feel this way when running alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Sunriserun wrote: »
    I find that my biggest issue as a female runner centers around safety. Due to life logistics I do nearly all my running early in the morning, it's fine in summer but in winter this means running in the dark alone. I don't feel afraid as such, just constantly on high alert I guess, there's no way I'd listen to music and would be cautious re routes etc. Also when I say safety I mean with regard attack rather than road safety. I live in a city so all my running is off road or on footpaths. My caution may well be unfounded as I have never been hassled while running early in the morning. It has happened that I've been hassled occassionally running in the evening but I've never felt in danger as there is usually plenty people around. I'm not generally an overly cautious person and was wondering if any other females feel this way when running alone?

I run alone a lot too, and around Dublin, sometimes early morning, sometimes late-ish at night, and I have to say I never feel unsafe. I might feel uncomfortable at times when some people like to look you over in what I perceive as a creepy manner, but thankfully they don't make me feel unsafe, just a little nauseous maybe! No harm in being alert for dangers anyway, whether people or traffic based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It might be a function of having grown up in Dublin 24 and having done all my early running there, but I can't say I'm massively worried about running alone most of the time. I wear headphones when run commuting but am quite aware of my surroundings and tend to stick to relatively well travelled areas. The worst I've experienced was frequent catcalling from bus drivers when I lived in north London, there was a garage less than half a mile from my apartment so hard to avoid as well.

I run commute midweek now, so I'm running at around 5pm with a backpack on and I'm running from central Manchester outwards about 4 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Are you in Ireland, Sunriserun?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I run alone a lot too, and around Dublin, sometimes early morning, sometimes late-ish at night, and I have to say I never feel unsafe. I might feel uncomfortable at times when some people like to look you over in what I perceive as a creepy manner, but thankfully they don't make me feel unsafe, just a little nauseous maybe! No harm in being alert for dangers anyway, whether people or traffic based.

There's just one section of the canal I run from broombridge towards Phibsboro and I am little bit wary of it - I used to run it early on a weekday or weekend morning but now I tend to avoid it - nothing happened just that I felt quite isolated. But even my local park can be very quiet sometimes. I think it's good to be aware but it's sad when we don't run somewhere or feel we can't because of possible attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

They need to know specifically how a cycle affects an athlete for that. Different for everyone.
    Different stages of cycle I'm absolutely shattered and can barely summon the energy to run.
    Bloated / digestive issues and feeling heavy/sluggish because of it.

I have closer to a 5 week cycle but could have 1.5 - 2 weeks out of every 5 where you just cannot train as you would the other 3. Rounds back to Helen's comments about how men can improve so much quicker. I don't think our menstrual cycle helps us in that regard. :)

No, it doesn't, but from listening to Stacy Sims once we track our cycle and how we are feeling symptoms then we can tell when we are in the high hormone phase just before your period is due which can affect performance. (edited to add when we are in your Luteal phase of our cycle)

I never knew that because of higher progesterone and estrogen women are more predisposed to hyponatremia but she has tips on how to combat that

Also, our core temperature is higher which can make things harder for us I noticed that on a long run, I felt like I was boiling up first time ever I took off my t-shirt and ran in my sports bra

I will listen back and read up on what she recommends to take to help offset the effects of our lovely hormones :)

AFAIK, Stacy Sims mentioned an app just for that in one of her podcasts - where you grant you coach access and s/he can then interpret the data specifically for you. I will listen back.

I know you found it all ready, I have it as well it is good I told my coach about it he is very interested in getting the coach account.

Seesee wrote: »
    There's just one section of the canal I run from broombridge towards Phibsboro and I am little bit wary of it - I used to run it early on a weekday or weekend morning but now I tend to avoid it - nothing happened just that I felt quite isolated. But even my local park can be very quiet sometimes. I think it's good to be aware but it's sad when we don't run somewhere or feel we can't because of possible attack.

I used to run on one part along the Barrow and like you nothing happened but I tend to avoid it now just in case it is very sad that we always have to be aware just incase.

Thanks so much for all your replies 😊 good to know I’m not alone!! I think the message is be aware but not afraid. It’s great to have a thread to chat these things through in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks so much for all your replies �� good to know I’m not alone!! I think the message is be aware but not afraid. It’s great to have a thread to chat these things through in!!

I wear earphones during the day but if running in the dark at night or very early morning I wouldn’t just to be more aware. I don’t feel unsafe but wouldn’t run very late at night. I did a very early run one Sunday this Winter and there was a bunch of messers coming home from the pub and I dodged down a side road to loop around them. I probably feel slightly more uncomfortable in the early mornings than the evenings though I tell myself there’s probably less likely to be lunatics around in the morning.

Thanks so much for all your replies �� good to know I’m not alone!! I think the message is be aware but not afraid. It’s great to have a thread to chat these things through in!!

I do feel once you feel afraid and stop going places you've let them win. I hate doing that. But sometimes you just have to stay safe and not take unnecessary risks.

btw people say men never have to think this way but a sensible man will also bear this kind of thing in mind especially in the city and not put themselves in danger - just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks for starting the thread great idea !!

Huzzah just cost me a fortune , I bought the book , then bought it for two friends ,then went and bought any supplement she mentioned .

Rant 1: I’m 43 and my cycles are kind of regular with the odd extra one thrown in - I used to be able to tell when I would run well - but not now it’s all over the place - especially since becoming hypothyroid . If I’m unlucky and I race at the wrong time it’s very unpleasant. I have been talking about this to other women for years . I have been called obsessive , and over thinking it , and making excuses . All of which can be true mind but I’m glad now others are talking about it .

Rant 2: I can never get shorts . Seriously I’m not comfortable wearing 3 inch shorts or tight Lycra ones. I need coverage I have hips and ample thighs - Every year I spend weeks on the internet and In running shops trying to find the “ pair” sigh . Have tried decathlon- they are good but a pair doesn’t last me until I get back there again.
    My favorite pair of adidas died this year after about 12 years .This year I found a decent pair of ronhill shorts 2/1 in the run hub and a pair of mizanos. Both with big pockets . They were not cheap .

It bothers me they make men’s shorts long and short . It bothers that I Am told I should feel comfortable in short shorts no matter what my size . I just want longer shorts - men don’t have to feel comfortable in short shorts they just buy long ones .

I’m running along time ,when I started most women who ran were athletic with runners bodies - I was a beginner and terrified of lycra. I wore like full on tracksuit bottoms until about 6 years ago until the active wear trend took hold.

Now even my jeans look like running bottoms cause I like the look .

Rant 3: There is a beautiful scenic route that gives me a lovely ten miles from my house . I can’t run it by myself as a woman. Annoying - but when you read stuff about American running leggings having pockets on the shins to pack “heat” I think we are good here!!

Sorry .

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Thanks for starting the thread great idea !!

Rant 2: I can never get shorts . Seriously I’m not comfortable wearing 3 inch shorts or tight Lycra ones. I need coverage I have hips and ample thighs - Every year I spend weeks on the internet and In running shops trying to find the “ pair” sigh . Have tried decathlon- they are good but a pair doesn’t last me until I get back there again.
    My favorite pair of adidas died this year after about 12 years .This year I found a decent pair of ronhill shorts 2/1 in the run hub and a pair of mizanos. Both with big pockets . They were not cheap .

It bothers me they make men’s shorts long and short . It bothers that I Am told I should feel comfortable in short shorts no matter what my size . I just want longer shorts - men don’t have to feel comfortable in short shorts they just buy long ones .

I’m running along time ,when I started most women who ran were athletic with runners bodies - I was a beginner and terrified of lycra. I wore like full on tracksuit bottoms until about 6 years ago until the active wear trend took hold.

Now even my jeans look like running bottoms cause I like the look .

You probably have lovely long legs and that’s why you find shorts so short. My legs are hilariously short - I’ve seen photos of myself standing beside friends wearing the exact same shorts as mine, and they look cool and athletic and I look like I’m wearing 19th C pantaloons nearly down to my knees!

I never used to wear the short Lycra ones, but then I started wearing them for Pilates, as you can’t wear loose shorts when you’re waving your legs in the air, and then our club got official tight Lycra shorts, and I’ve gradually just become more relaxed about wearing them. They make me feel faster on the start line (all in my head!)

Of course you should be able to find shorts you like, though. Sorry the selection is so poor! Decathlon do various lengths, I think, and you can order online. Oiselle do as well (but pricey, see upthread)
    One of my friends once got Nike basketball shorts when she was looking for green ones, and they were quite long. Worth a try?

You probably have lovely long legs and that’s why you find shorts so short. My legs are hilariously short - I’ve seen photos of myself standing beside friends wearing the exact same shorts as mine, and they look cool and athletic and I look like I’m wearing 19th C pantaloons nearly down to my knees!

I never used to wear the short Lycra ones, but then I started wearing them for Pilates, as you can’t wear loose shorts when you’re waving your legs in the air, and then our club got official tight Lycra shorts, and I’ve gradually just become more relaxed about wearing them. They make me feel faster on the start line (all in my head!)

Of course you should be able to find shorts you like, though. Sorry the selection is so poor! Decathlon do various lengths, I think, and you can order online. Oiselle do as well (but pricey, see upthread)
    One of my friends once got Nike basketball shorts when she was looking for green ones, and they were quite long. Worth a try?

Thanks I’ll be back in decathlon shortly so will check out ! I wish I had long legs - I have short legs -29 inches on a 5”6” body ! A long body but short legs - and big thighs . Think Beyoncé only less muscled - we have the exact same thigh width! I looked on Oiselle previously but they still looked too short - I tend to wear tight Lycra ones with gym shorts over . Basketball shorts are too long . Brooks chaser 5 inch were good - but stopped shipping to Europe .

Beyoncé fabulous thighs aside I’m still a size 10/12 pear so can get nice gear to fit . Shocking range of clothing-even if your even a tiny bit bigger - our club vests are the most unflattering yokes ever - they need to be designed for the new club runner - the middle aged woman !!

God - I’m still ranting . But we are a huge market here . We need running gear and it doesn’t need to be pink !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Adidas used to do 6" shorts and I had a few pairs of them over the years and they where great. Everything else too short. I don't think it is women who design women's running shorts...

I usually go up a size when I'm buying shorts in the hope of getting an extra half an inch out of them. :)
    More mile do dirt cheap shorts, I have some 'unisex' pairs that I've had about 10 years which are great (decent length too) and then newer women's ones (too short) but also have a pair of their compression ones. They're grand.
    https://moremile.co.uk/ladies/clothing/shorts.html?p=1

I also struggle to find comfortable shorts. There’s a serious gap in the market here ladies if any of ye are entrepreneurial!!
    Also I was just wondering has anyone ever tried a training plan geared towards women? Or had a coach who took the fact you were female into account when assigning training? I have mainly just used bog standard ones from books when using a plan. It’s the area of speedwork that I feel puts me close to the edge injury wise. This could be a personal rather than a gender thing though!!
    PS I also have really short legs.... is this a runner thing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

+1 on the Shock Absorber ultimate run bra. I normally keep an eye on Wiggle and get a few of the odd colours when they're on sale.

If you prefer the black or white though, 53 Degrees North are currently selling them at half price (€27.50). Lots of sizes available when I was in there yesterday

• Advertisement

I also struggle to find comfortable shorts. There’s a serious gap in the market here ladies if any of ye are entrepreneurial!!
    Also I was just wondering has anyone ever tried a training plan geared towards women? Or had a coach who took the fact you were female into account when assigning training? I have mainly just used bog standard ones from books when using a plan. It’s the area of speedwork that I feel puts me close to the edge injury wise. This could be a personal rather than a gender thing though!!
    PS I also have really short legs.... is this a runner thing??

Short legs here as well! 5'5" and can wear short leg jeans in quite a few brands.

Has anybody tried the supplement mentioned in the “Roar” book - Beta Alanine? I have did a little research on it and it seems legit but was wondering if anyone has used it in real life? Also wondering does anybody use preworkout stuff -dr. Stacy also mentions a track stack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

Great thread! I wear EVB shorts (Irish made) and usually with just a liner so no underwear. They're on the expensive side but regularly have sales or discount codes online.

julyjane wrote: »
    Great thread! I wear EVB shorts (Irish made) and usually with just a liner so no underwear. They're on the expensive side but regularly have sales or discount codes online.

They are brilliant shorts. I have two pairs of them but don’t wear them much any more. I used wear them for marathons though and never a problem with them.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    They are brilliant shorts. I have two pairs of them but don’t wear them much any more. I used wear them for marathons though and never a problem with them.

I bought a pair during last marathon but never worth the effort to put on -way to tight . I don’t have pelvic floor issues thankfully so didn’t need them really . I have friends who swear my them and couldn’t physically run without them .

I bought a pair during last marathon but never worth the effort to put on -way to tight . I don’t have pelvic floor issues thankfully so didn’t need them really . I have friends who swear my them and couldn’t physically run without them .

My main reason for wearing them was the fact you didn’t need underwear with them so no chaffing issues!!

I've heard good things about the EVB shorts too. Like Bluesquare, I'm lucky enough not to need them.

Just to add, though, if people have pelvic floor issues, I'd recommend seeing a women's health physio before / as well as special shorts etc.

If you're in Dublin this place in brilliant:

https://milltownphysiotherapy.com/

My main reason for wearing them was the fact you didn’t need underwear with them so no chaffing issues!!

The chaffing thing baffles me - I have rather large thighs - but never chaff . ( I did once - after twenty mile in torrential rain) My friend who has really slim legs does always ! It must be related to gait? I do chaff under the chest a little .

Those decathlon shorts arrived in the post today. Short enough legs here so they fit nicely and have pocket and good value so thanks!

julyjane wrote: »

I just got a pair was planning to use for longer runs when extra support helpful. No pockets though. I’ve also gotten a referral to milltown but haven’t taken it further yet as it’s a bit of a trek for me. How many sessions might be needed. I don’t have a big problem just need advise really on how to do exercises more effectively.

• Advertisement

The chaffing thing baffles me - I have rather large thighs - but never chaff . ( I did once - after twenty mile in torrential rain) My friend who has really slim legs does always ! It must be related to gait? I do chaff under the chest a little .

I don’t know what it is. I chaff very easily - under my right arm too and often from underwear as well between my legs if I don’t wear cycling shorts type shorts/skirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Has anybody tried the supplement mentioned in the “Roar” book - Beta Alanine? I have did a little research on it and it seems legit but was wondering if anyone has used it in real life? Also wondering does anybody use preworkout stuff -dr. Stacy also mentions a track stack ?

I'm just flicking through the book now! She says that she reserves beta alanine for her most dedicated athletes because you don't really need it if you're not competitive. It's just an amino acid so no harm in trying it but I'm not going to bother as I'm definitely not competitive!
    I have ordered magnesium and urinalysis sticks though!

I've heard good things about the EVB shorts too. Like Bluesquare, I'm lucky enough not to need them.

Just to add, though, if people have pelvic floor issues, I'd recommend seeing a women's health physio before / as well as special shorts etc.

If you're in Dublin this place in brilliant:

https://milltownphysiotherapy.com/

I'd second the Milltown clinic, they're great. I had bad diastasis recti (separation of tummy muscles) after two large babies but they got me back to almost normal.

Seesee wrote: »
    I just got a pair was planning to use for longer runs when extra support helpful. No pockets though. I’ve also gotten a referral to milltown but haven’t taken it further yet as it’s a bit of a trek for me. How many sessions might be needed. I don’t have a big problem just need advise really on how to do exercises more effectively.

Their first session is expensive because it's longer, so you might get away with just one, if you get good advice etc from them.

I only went once - I'd had surgery, and had been rehabbing for a few months with a sports physio, but I just wanted Milltown to check the muscles he couldn't :)

They check you out (and it's an internal muscle check, just to warn you!), tell you what you're doing right, or wrong, and I went away with a sheet of exercises. I probably don't do them as much as I should, but I got reassurance that everything was ok and I was ready to go back to racing etc, and I have the sheet and detailed instructions if I ever feel I need to do them more regularly.

I think it's worth a visit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

For women after childbirth, or menopausal: how do you cope with the issue of seepage? (the pee kind)

Day Lewin wrote: »
    For women after childbirth, or menopausal: how do you cope with the issue of seepage? (the pee kind)

That’s what the girls are talking about above and also the EVB shorts are designed to help protect your core and prevent it.

Day Lewin wrote: »

I was only discussing this with a friend the other night. She discovered she suffers from hormonal (rather than muscular) leekage. She takes oestrogen twice a month which completely solved her problem.

She has been told that as she ages and her natural oestrogen lessens, that it will re-occur.

Her female GP was zero help by the way, saying there was no such illness, she had to argue to get a referral.

I was only discussing this with a friend the other night. She discovered she suffers from hormonal (rather than muscular) leekage. She takes oestrogen twice a month which completely solved her problem.

She has been told that as she ages and her natural oestrogen lessens, that it will re-occur.

Her female GP was zero help by the way, saying there was no such illness, she had to argue to get a referral.

That’s very interesting. Where do she get the referral to? As in who helped her figure out what the problem was in the end.

That’s very interesting. Where do she get the referral to? As in who helped her figure out what the problem was in the end.

She said she initially suffered from it 12 years ago after the birth of her 2nd child and a different GP gave her supplements then.

It cleared up and has only started again in the last 6 -8 months or so.

Her GP told her there was nothing she could prescribe so she demanded a referral to a gynachologist.

• Advertisement

Just going back to the Roar book by Stacy sims. She recommends taking low dose aspirin for the second two weeks of your cycle, before training. I did a bit of research and spoke to a pharmacist today and it's not recommended that anyone take low dose aspirin unless they have heart problems. It can cause gastro bleeding and kidney problems, and if you fall while running you'll bleed more. You can't get low dose aspirin over the counter here anyway, it's only on prescription.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My dog had that when she was about 14. The medication the vet put her on had her sending out all kinds of signals to the horny dogs around the area and mam and dad and their neighbours where hassled by about 3 dogs who just kept hanging round the road until she came off the medication. :pac:

My dog had that when she was about 14. The medication the vet put her on had her sending out all kinds of signals to the horny dogs around the area and mam and dad and their neighbours where hassled by about 3 dogs who just kept hanging round the road until she came off the medication. :pac:

:D:pac:

That may explain recent antics!

She said she initially suffered from it 12 years ago after the birth of her 2nd child and a different GP gave her supplements then.

It cleared up and has only started again in the last 6 -8 months or so.

Her GP told her there was nothing she could prescribe so she demanded a referral to a gynachologist.

Very interesting as I think mine might be affected by cycle too and have downloaded the fitr app to track. I got a referral to Mater private physio which I think is similar so might go there instead although milltown is meant to be the best. I have asthma in winter so lots of coughing equals weaker muscles too. It’s tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Has anybody mentioned camel toe?

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Has anybody mentioned camel toe?

lol - they haven’t yet !

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    Just going back to the Roar book by Stacy sims. She recommends taking low dose aspirin for the second two weeks of your cycle, before training. I did a bit of research and spoke to a pharmacist today and it's not recommended that anyone take low dose aspirin unless they have heart problems. It can cause gastro bleeding and kidney problems, and if you fall while running you'll bleed more. You can't get low dose aspirin over the counter here anyway, it's only on prescription.

Maybe we need to start a separate thread to discuss the lovely Stacey . I did see that she had a track stack which said before a big event - mix caffeine , low dose aspirin and beta Alanine , I didn’t see the during cycle bit . I’m such a sucker for a quick
    Fix - anything but actually train. I straight away looked to see if you could buy over the counter . I know my dad has them for sure ! Maybe he will give me one for my next race !

So far I bought magnesium , zinc and krill oil . I had iron and vitamin d. I’m still researching the Beta Alanine and the BCAAs. I follow Shaun T and he’s always talking about prework out supplements - they sounded interesting so I looked into them. They all seem to contain caffeine, Beta Alanine and BCAAs. So I would love to know if any runners on here have tried them !

Anyways very interested in hearing ideas for marathon nutrition etc!

Honestly, I don't think it has to be massively complicated. Most of the supplements just result in expensive pee! Eat well, plenty of plants. Cup of coffee is as good a preworkout as anything.

I'm about a 5 hour marathoner and during the race I take a gel around every 5 miles, last one at 23 ish rather than 25.

Honestly, I don't think it has to be massively complicated. Most of the supplements just result in expensive pee! Eat well, plenty of plants. Cup of coffee is as good a preworkout as anything.

I'm about a 5 hour marathoner and during the race I take a gel around every 5 miles, last one at 23 ish rather than 25.

The book we are talking about by Dr Stacy Sims talks about women and sport and nutrition . She doesn’t recommend gel for women but is an advocate of real food to refuel . I haven’t tried this yet it’s all relatively new and I’m just starting to read up on it . Have a listen to this podcast if you haven’t already , it’s really interesting : https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000440461735

The book we are talking about by Dr Stacy Sims talks about women and sport and nutrition . She doesn’t recommend gel for women but is an advocate of real food to refuel . I haven’t tried this yet it’s all relatively new and I’m just starting to read up on it . Have a listen to this podcast if you haven’t already , it’s really interesting : https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000440461735

In the podcast she talks about a pretzel, soft bland carb with plenty of salt. High tail it to Lidl!

chickey2 wrote: »

I was listening to a podcast today and she mentioned instead of taking baby aspirin to take whitewillow bark instead I have not looked in to see about getting it yet.

But I am going to do the other tips she suggested to offset the effects of higher progesterone and estrogen in the luteal phase

Increase intake in salt, cold drinks and when hydrating have a little carb and salt in my water.

just an FYI: estrogen spares glycogen so during the high hormone phase during training runs and importantly for races have carbs as we can not access our glycogen like we normally would so that will help us hit higher intensity during this phase.

She also recommended increasing protien in particularly Leucine to signal the body to repair and help adaption and help with Central nervous system fatigue ( lose your mojo ;)) during the LP phase of our cycle. I got some BCAA before as they are good to take when you are unwell it helps with recovery.

I will be putting this all in to practice this week thanks to mother nature for my HM on Saturday

Here is the podcast if anyone want to listen! https://www.enduranceplanet.com/stacy-sims-phd-the-everything-guide-for-female-athletes-how-to-navigate-your-menstrual-cycle-the-menopause-years-cortisol-and-stress-nutrition-needs-and-more/

• Advertisement
Advertisement