01-08-2015, 11:13   #31
jcd5971

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly84 View Post
I think Cecil Peoples will have something to say about that, that was... until he was shot by an American dentist in Africa.
I don't get the reference, what has Mazzagati got to do with some stupid lion... I'm sure I'm going to look stupid now if you point out an obvious link :-)
Advertisement
02-08-2015, 23:00   #32
dave1982

Question for those who actually fight, just wondering bout nerves back stage in locker room.That hour or so when you just waiting to go out.What do ye do and be thinking?
02-08-2015, 23:25   #33
Dtp1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1982 View Post
Question for those who actually fight, just wondering bout nerves back stage in locker room.That hour or so when you just waiting to go out.What do ye do and be thinking?
Everyone is different. Some are calm and collected. Some are wound up and bursting to go. Some are ****ting a brick.
(2) thanks from:
02-08-2015, 23:25   #34
Clive

Quote:
Bored mostly, you've probably been hanging around for a few hours at that stage and just want to get you warm-up started.
Thanks from:
04-08-2015, 11:25   #35
MartyMcFly84

Send a message via AIM to MartyMcFly84
Quote:
I don't get the reference, what has Mazzagati got to do with some stupid lion... I'm sure I'm going to look stupid now if you point out an obvious link :-)
A terrible joke admittedly. Cecil Peoples is a referee who many would say was worst ref in MMA. He makes Mazzagati look competent. The lion that was shot was also called Cecil.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-08-2015, 02:19   #36
Mellor

Quote:
As the lads said everyone was different.
I expected to be nervous (I was a bit antsy at the weigh-in). But on fight night I was very relaxed, almost bored. I had a little nap in the corner.
Thanks from:
06-08-2015, 09:47   #37
MartyMcFly84

Send a message via AIM to MartyMcFly84
Quote:
It really depends on the person and how they deal with nerves.

I have seen guys sleeping right up until minutes before they go out to guys vomiting with nerves and pulling out of fights right before they go out.

I remember thinking "How the hell did I get myself into this situation?". Once you have entered a few competitions its generally all the same and you get used to it to a certain degree. Like driving. The nerves creep in again if you are moving up a level or have been out for a long time but, I found it helps to have chilled out people with you too, corner men, coach etc.
Thanks from:
24-01-2016, 17:59   #38
That_Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to That_Guy
I've been watching MMA for years but I'm still confused regarding when they decide to call for a no contest or when they opt for a technical decision.

Anyone care to explain?
24-01-2016, 18:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
I've been watching MMA for years but I'm still confused regarding when they decide to call for a no contest or when they opt for a technical decision.

Anyone care to explain?

Im not sure anyone can actually call for a no contest. I think for it to happen on the night, the fight needs to be stopped(ie injury,eye poke) during the 1st round. I think if its stopped after rd1 then it goes to judges and they make a decision based on what they seen. Fights can be changed to a no contest after fight night, I think this is usually when 1 fighter fails a drugs test/
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-01-2016, 23:26   #40
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post

Anyone care to explain?
If a fight is stopped due to an intentional foul, regardless of when it happens, then it's a Disqualification.
If a fighter is unable to continue due to an accidental foul, and 2 rounds* are not yet complete. Then it's ruled a No-Contest.
If 2 rounds* are complete then it goes to the score cards (including the incomplete last round). The winner is awarded a Technical Decision, or a Technical Draw if scorecards are equal.

*3 rounds needed in 5 round fight, ie majority of rounds need to be complete

Last edited by Mellor; 24-01-2016 at 23:38.
(2) thanks from:
24-02-2016, 07:35   #41
JoeK20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAlice View Post
This might seem like a silly question but here goes.

In the Lawler McDonald fight both fighters were seriously busted up. McDonald broke his nose in the first round and Lawler was staggering around the ring after getting the knee in the head.

Why didn't the ref call a halt to this fight sooner? It seemed like both of them were a lot more injured than Mendes was so I'm just wondering what the difference is. Is it because Mendes stopped defending himself?
Well Mendes had only that 2 week camp so was pretty much gassed out. Conor pretty much tko'd him with that punch and he dint really defend himself on the ground.
With Lawler and MacDonald, it was more superficial injuries until the later rounds then MacDonald couldn't really go anymore.
If they're still standing there trading the referee can't really step in buit its pretty much putting it in the ref's hands if you turtle up (even if your blocking punches - a la Faber vs Barao)
05-03-2016, 00:30   #42
srfc d16

I put this in the live thread but figured I'd have a better chance of getting a response in this thread so here goes.

I rarely watch weigh ins and am a relatively casual fan but can someone explain to me why so many fighters are coming in at what I assume is over the weight limit? Plenty of 155.5, 156 and so on weights already. Is it only strictly enforced on title fights?
05-03-2016, 00:32   #43
ASOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfc d16 View Post
I put this in the live thread but figured I'd have a better chance of getting a response in this thread so here goes.

I rarely watch weigh ins and am a relatively casual fan but can someone explain to me why so many fighters are coming in at what I assume is over the weight limit? Plenty of 155.5, 156 and so on weights already. Is it only strictly enforced on title fights?
Title fights have to be bang on the money or under, there's a 1lb limit on non title fights.
Thanks from:
05-03-2016, 02:03   #44
srfc d16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Title fights have to be bang on the money or under, there's a 1lb limit on non title fights.
Thanks man
11-03-2016, 20:41   #45
Brussels Sprout

Why are there no Women's Flyweight or Featherweight divisions in the UFC?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion