Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Here's what I saw today, mark 4 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Nice Aston Martin, complete twat of a driver though. Leeson st;

IMG-20210224-231825.jpg[

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

Warsaw, first two at the airport and the McClaren in a display window down town

Stick around Three Crosses Square, you'll see some nice motors then :D

Makes you wonder what makes them come to Ireland in the first place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Stick around Three Crosses Square, you'll see some nice motors then :D

Makes you wonder what makes them come to Ireland in the first place :pac:

Been here 10 years. Really doesn't tell the whole story unfortunately but there is some nice metal that being said

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

bear1 wrote: »
    Been here 10 years. Really doesn't tell the whole story unfortunately but there is some nice metal that being said

You can get rich people in any country even Africa.

There's way more nicer motors here than in Ireland. Which is certainly odd for a country with a €620/month (before tax) minimum wage and an average wage of around €850 (before tax)...

Out of curiosity, went to TCS an hour ago. Parked up were a C7 RS6, brand new Lime green RSQ3, new Continental GT and a lovely blue Panamera Sport Turismo...

• Advertisement

There's way more nicer motors here than in Ireland. Which is certainly odd for a country with a €620/month (before tax) minimum wage and an average wage of around €850 (before tax)...

Out of curiosity, went to TCS an hour ago. Parked up were a C7 RS6, brand new Lime green RSQ3, new Continental GT and a lovely blue Panamera Sport Turismo...

Yes but comparing Poland to Ireland isn't exactly straight forward.
    They don't have motor tax here (which isn't going to last much longer) Plus other factors.
    They've more wealthy citizens compared to Ireland and Warsaw would be the epicenter of this.
    So like for like will never be the same.

Yes but comparing Poland to Ireland isn't exactly straight forward.
    They don't have motor tax here (which isn't going to last much longer) Plus other factors.
    They've more wealthy citizens compared to Ireland and Warsaw would be the epicenter of this.
    So like for like will never be the same.

There is motor tax. It's included in the price of fuel. The government doesn't plan any new emission-based taxes for now. (Hopefully not while they're in power).

I would disagree with the wealthy citizens part. A lad I know here owns a lovely Verde Mantis M4 (if you're even in Warsaw, you probably saw it at least once) and he's only making about €1,900/month (after tax). I made more working the reception in a hotel in Ireland and I struggled to own a 2.0 TDI Passat.

There is motor tax. It's included in the price of fuel. The government doesn't plan any new emission-based taxes for now. (Hopefully not while they're in power).

I would disagree with the wealthy citizens part. A lad I know here owns a lovely Verde Mantis M4 (if you're even in Warsaw, you probably saw it at least once) and he's only making about €1,900/month (after tax). I made more working the reception in a hotel in Ireland and I struggled to own a 2.0 TDI Passat.

That's a good wage though for that country. General cost of living is much cheaper there than Ireland too.

That's a good wage though for that country. General cost of living is much cheaper there than Ireland too.

I make €1,000-€1,100 after tax here and the best I could do without financially straining myself is a 2016 Passat BiTDI Highline :P I suppose the €800-€900 difference would be a monthly payment on an M4, so maybe you're right.

Ok, 38 million people Vs 5 million here. It would be fair to assume that there would be a higher proportion of wealthy people here than in Ireland.
    I've worked here for almost a decade so I see this a lot.
    Yes it's included in the fuel but they don't have to pay any tax relating to owning a car but this is being considered last I heard.
    But you will know that registering a car here and buying is an utter pain in the ass.
    May have seen that car alright.
    They also have a much bigger selection of cars here and American imports are really popular so you've also got that going for them.
    The wages here aren't great and the cost of living isn't as low as people make it out to be.
    I find certain things cheaper in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Ok, 38 million people Vs 5 million here. It would be fair to assume that there would be a higher proportion of wealthy people here than in Ireland.
    I've worked here for almost a decade so I see this a lot.
    Yes it's included in the fuel but they don't have to pay any tax relating to owning a car but this is being considered last I heard.
    But you will know that registering a car here and buying is an utter pain in the ass.
    May have seen that car alright.
    They also have a much bigger selection of cars here and American imports are really popular so you've also got that going for them.
    The wages here aren't great and the cost of living isn't as low as people make it out to be.
    I find certain things cheaper in Ireland.

It's an odd country, this. There's this incredible phenomenon here where people spend twice what they make.

I've found beef to be cheaper in Ireland which is a huge annoyance as I do love a decent steak.

The US imports were an easy way here to get premium cars cheaper. For example there's a Focus ST up for €9,500 but I know for a fact the car + shipping were $3,200, then taxes and a small repair bill, so the car's costed that person around €7,500 registered (which is great value for a 2014 ST).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I actually gave up taking car photos in Warsaw, every second yoke was a porsche or 7 series or Merc G wagon. Good few Escalades too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Frankly, the simplest answer is that Ireland just doesn't have a car culture; Even among the people who could easily afford them, only a minuscule fraction actually buy really expensive cars, compared to people of the same wealth in many other western countries.

In general, cars are seen as an utility and a "status symbol" - and for the latter, a diesel BMW/Audi/Mercedes will do just fine. The second hand market reflects that - even sports and luxury models tend to be plagued by one common denominator: poverty spec (including the smallest available diesel engine on the given model).

Even a walk in some of the most affluent areas of Dublin will confirm - mansion after mansion worth a bunch of million, but a 2 liters diesel BMW/Audi/Mercedes parked outside...

It's an odd country, this. There's this incredible phenomenon here where people spend twice what they make.

I've found beef to be cheaper in Ireland which is a huge annoyance as I do love a decent steak.

The US imports were an easy way here to get premium cars cheaper. For example there's a Focus ST up for €9,500 but I know for a fact the car + shipping were $3,200, then taxes and a small repair bill, so the car's costed that person around €7,500 registered (which is great value for a 2014 ST).

There's also a massive culture of fixing massively damaged cars and flogging them off as having had no accident.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Frankly, the simplest answer is that Ireland just doesn't have a car culture; Even among the people who could easily afford them, only a minuscule fraction actually buy really expensive cars, compared to people of the same wealth in many other western countries.

In general, cars are seen as an utility and a "status symbol" - and for the latter, a diesel BMW/Audi/Mercedes will do just fine. The second hand market reflects that - even sports and luxury models tend to be plagued by one common denominator: poverty spec (including the smallest available diesel engine on the given model).

Even a walk in some of the most affluent areas of Dublin will confirm - mansion after mansion worth a bunch of million, but a 2 liters diesel BMW/Audi/Mercedes parked outside...

It's not all that different here either.
    Diesel is king.
    I bought last year a 2016 1.8 tsi dsg which the salesman's was pushing me for the diesel. Irritating as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

As one of few polish in this thread maybe i'll say why I came to Ireland. It's not all like yous saying. Living in Warsaw, Gdansk or any other big city in Poland is different than living on countryside. Warsaw may be good place to see good cars same like city centre of Dublin. There is of course more of expensive cars in Poland than it is in Ireland but there is 6 times more people living in Poland than it is in Ireland. Also insurance is a big issue in Ireland. Even while I'm 33 years old at the moment I will still get 99% refusal for insurance of any kind of for example Lamborghini. I checked for fun how much I would pay for it in Poland... Lamborghini Aventador insurance cost me something around €1000 (comprehensive not available) in Ireland it would be impossible to insure it without going dodgy way.

I came to Ireland 13 or 14 years ago and i was earning around €300 a week. In Poland i would have to work around a month for that. Now i'm earning €600 a week and again for the same job in Poland i've to work around month. Aftet all expenses like car and rent/mortgage bills and maintance i'm able to go for some holidays, i can afford to save few euros and i don't think I could live the life i have if I was in Poland working on the same position as in Ireland.

Last thing in mentallity. None of my grandada or my dad are into cars but once they bought a car they were looking after it like it was member of family. Every scratch hurt. In Ireland car is just a thing to get you from point a to point b and most of people don't care about their own car and definitelly have no respect for other cars. It's one of reason why i always park far far away from entrance where noone else will park unless they have to and where i live i pick space which have no other space beside it.

Some of polish came here for welfare benefits and withoit mention names i hate them. They feel so prous that they dont have to work and getting money for free. This is kind people who should be kick out from here. For 13 years I didn't get and didnt ask for any payment from social welfare and i think it should be me who is proud of that not the the other way. But it keep happening now in Poland thatcslowly its better to not work.

Back to cars. Ive 3.0 petrol Mercedes and hybrid Lexus and if it's dry I will go some carspotting on tuesday morning so hope i'll be back with some photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

H3llR4iser wrote: »

You can thank our penal tax system here for that. The motorist here is sucked try by consecutive governments over the years. They are seen as a revenue stream that must be maintained to pay towards public services. It's hard to love cars in a country where you are taxed so much for wanting to own one. Who wants to pay 2k a year in motor tax, not to mention a hefty amount of VRT on anything that falls outside the white goods definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

545457.jpg

Saw this on Saturday evening. Chatted to the driver for a while, terribly nice guy, originally from Walkinstown. He was a bit on the short side so struggled to see over the steering wheel. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Taycan 4S. Lovely in the flesh. Could only snap quickly so apologies for the quality!

(also they are not dings on the front and rear arches - its just the way the light caught it!)

50992498693_a07663d4e7_b.jpg

50992498653_2b768855b4_b.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Those wheels & tyres look daft on it IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Would also fit well in the bad parking thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

So here is what I saw today: Mercedes-AMG G63 Urban Widetrack, Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG and Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray
    zFpVlcC.jpg
    nkeWJd5.jpg
    8Dw9tOx.jpg

That String Ray is some machine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nice 4.2 E Type

50997328003_b6c14c3ab1.jpg

50998145272_0808321cc6.jpg

Reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses episode where Del Boy drives Boycies E Type Jag and someone crashes into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

That Taycan has the biggest front brakes I've ever seen on a car. They manage to fill out those ridiculously large alloys.

ongarite wrote: »
    That Taycan has the biggest front brakes I've ever seen on a car. They manage to fill out those ridiculously large alloys.

Barely enough room for the alloy wheel to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

recently spotted in Greystones

545666.jpg

545667.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Guessing these yokes didn't sell very well as that the first time I've ever seen one.

546008.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Weren’t they something like €50k new?

Advertisement