Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Did you read Four Iron in the Soul by Lawrence Donegan?

Great read

Just starting his book quiet please where donegan is a steward at the Ryder cup..

Donegans book no news at throat lake is one of my favourite books.

A good walked spoilt by john Feinstein is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

Marcus Bell, he is on all social media. Called Zen Golf Mechanic

I love his stuff, I build a balance board using some Medite board and a dowel underneath. Just standing on it swinging the club in the back yard.

Have you tried any drills, tips, etc?

I only started watching during lockdown so I’m dying to get out on the course and try some of his ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

noler123 wrote: »
    On a somewhat related topic, did anyone ever read "A course called Ireland"? Was looking to buy it but it's out of stock in a lot of places. Is it worth the effort of getting?

I've read that & a course called Scotland... Very enjoyable. & to answer the other questions - yes he is the guy on the NLU tourist sauce Ireland.

I've also really enjoyed a few other golf books not mentioned here - in no particular order:

Who's your caddy - Rick Riley = I really enjoy Rick Riley writing - entertaining

Dream on - hackers challenge to break Par in a year - John Richardson

The Match - Mark Frost - very good detail good on history of golf

The Bogey Man - George Plimpton = George would be one of my favourite sports writers - he has some cracking back catalog, helps to be into US sports though

The Game - Ken dryden = good on history again

No hiding in the Open - John Hoskinson = didn't know his back story so was a fascinating read

An American Caddie in St Andrews - Oliver Horovitz = laugh out loud at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

The match is a really good read, I am reading another one of his books called the greatest game ever played, really enjoying it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I've read that & a course called Scotland... Very enjoyable. & to answer the other questions - yes he is the guy on the NLU tourist sauce Ireland.

I've also really enjoyed a few other golf books not mentioned here - in no particular order:

Who's your caddy - Rick Riley = I really enjoy Rick Riley writing - entertaining

Dream on - hackers challenge to break Par in a year - John Richardson

The Match - Mark Frost - very good detail good on history of golf

The Bogey Man - George Plimpton = George would be one of my favourite sports writers - he has some cracking back catalog, helps to be into US sports though

The Game - Ken dryden = good on history again

No hiding in the Open - John Hoskinson = didn't know his back story so was a fascinating read

An American Caddie in St Andrews - Oliver Horovitz = laugh out loud at times

Is a course called scotland any good or is it more of the same? I read a course called Ireland and enjoyed it but part of that enjoyment was reading his insights into courses i've played or places i've been....I also have the Scotland but havent gotten around to reading it yet .....

Couple more to add to the list if they havent already been mentioned...."Commander and Cheat by Rick Reilly" , "Mind Games by Thomas Bjorn and Michael Calvin" and the Bagman series by Colin Byrne are all decent reads....

willabur wrote: »
    The match is a really good read, I am reading another one of his books called the greatest game ever played, really enjoying it also.

Yeah I've been meaning to read that one...

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Is a course called scotland any good or is it more of the same? I read a course called Ireland and enjoyed it but part of that enjoyment was reading his insights into courses i've played or places i've been....I also have the Scotland but havent gotten around to reading it yet .....

Couple more to add to the list if they havent already been mentioned...."Commander and Cheat by Rick Reilly" , "Mind Games by Thomas Bjorn and Michael Calvin" and the Bagman series by Colin Byrne are all decent reads....

Similar - he doesn't walk this one - but I just enjoy his general take on life.

I've read Commander in Cheat - great book but made me so mad at times, I love golf & am proud of the fact in every round of golf I've played there are numerous opportunities to cheat - improve lie, "find" a lost ball etc and I've not succumbed... I know we've all seen/heard cheaters stories - but that book details a level of disdain for the rules & ethos of golf that for me is beyond compare. With the supposed justification - "shur everyone is doing it!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Similar - he doesn't walk this one - but I just enjoy his general take on life.

I've read Commander in Cheat - great book but made me so mad at times, I love golf & am proud of the fact in every round of golf I've played there are numerous opportunities to cheat - improve lie, "find" a lost ball etc and I've not succumbed... I know we've all seen/heard cheaters stories - but that book details a level of disdain for the rules & ethos of golf that for me is beyond compare. With the supposed justification - "shur everyone is doing it!!!"

To be honest - if he was in a pub society in Ireland - he would be called a character. :D

Chance a good bit of this stuff - is him having a laugh to be honest.

Couple more to add to the list if they havent already been mentioned...."Commander and Cheat by Rick Reilly" , "Mind Games by Thomas Bjorn and Michael Calvin" and the Bagman series by Colin Byrne are all decent reads....[/quote]

Really struggled with Mind Games - I got it as an audio book and I understand the way its read can lead to a totally different interpretation but I just felt it was so pompous and stuffy. Thomas bjorn made it sound like he running an army of 50k at dunkirk!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveQuinn2020

Every Shot Must Have a Purpose - Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott.

Almost finished it, and possibly the best golf instruction book I've ever read. If you want to get lower, this is an essential read. More about course management and the psychology of the game, but jam packed with useful tips. Brilliant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Shot-Must-Have-Purpose/dp/1592401570/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FY93RQ3XIWVS&dchild=1&keywords=every+shot+must+have+a+purpose&qid=1613646892&sprefix=every+shot+must%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Almost finished it, and possibly the best golf instruction book I've ever read. If you want to get lower, this is an essential read. More about course management and the psychology of the game, but jam packed with useful tips. Brilliant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Shot-Must-Have-Purpose/dp/1592401570/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FY93RQ3XIWVS&dchild=1&keywords=every+shot+must+have+a+purpose&qid=1613646892&sprefix=every+shot+must%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1

Thanks was looking for something and you just sold this for me! Just ordered a copy!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

Is this the tom Coyne book?

No laying up have a season, 5 YouTube shows which he appears on and they play some of the same courses as the author.

Though I think the author walked from course to course.

I keep meaning to buy it on amazon

It €3.99 to buy on an iPhone in the books app

• Registered Users Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can Download in Kindle for less than five.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

A few golf books I enjoyed

The Pro, by Butch Harmon
    Seve The Official Autobiography
    Into the Bear Pit, Mark James
    John Daly, My Life In and Out of the Rough
    Colin Byrne's Bagman books are all very good

Instruction wise, Unconscious Putting by Dave Stockton is excellent. Took a few notes from it when I first read it and regularly look through them. One of the tips from the book I like is the following; 'Imagine someone standing to your left, holding the butt of a club three inches away from your left hand when you’re addressing the putt. Make sure you hit the butt of that club flush with your left hand on the follow through. That way, your left hand goes through impact low and your wrists don’t break down or ‘flip’. Think of Ben Crenshaw putting.

As for general sports books, loved these;
    Provided You Don't Kiss Me, 20 Years With Brian Clough
    Trautmann's Journey, From Hitler Youth to FA Cup Legend
    The Lost Soul of Eamonn Magee
    The Agassi book, Open (Apparently the ghost for Agassi's book may be doing Tiger's book at some stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I read a very good book about Arnold Palmer by Tom Callaghan that was recommended by Fionn Davenport and which i picked up for a steal on world of books...very interesting and gave a nice insight to a different age of professional golf.....lots of reference to Nicklaus and Player, i.e. the big three of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Has anyone bought the Dan Grieve book? I follow him on IG and he seems to be brilliant. Most of his content is behind a very pricey pay-wall via his app. So just wondering if the book(not cheap either)is worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Have that one.

Good clear information and covers all aspects of the short game as he sees it.

Worth it particularly if your short game needs help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Thanks, good to know. Is it well illustrated - good photography, etc.? Seems a lot of money for a 160 page book but if he gets his ideas across well I might give it a go. Just read some of the recent reviews on Amazon and nearly all very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Yes it is I think.

He is prolific on Instagram with short videos demonstrating different aspects. aspects.

He has posted a few on utube also.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭IrishOwl...

He's also comfortably the best coach on YouTube from what I've seen on his short game videos.

Advertisement