Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Book recommendations

• 03-02-2021 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

Anyone have any book recommendations for someone getting back into the game after a 10 year or so hiatus?
    A few things have changed since I last played seriously, mainly the popularity of hybrid clubs and gap wedges, which I’m still getting my head around when to use them and what I should have in the bag.

I’m up to date on the rule changes so kind of just looking for some guidance on club choice and maybe some practice tips for whenever we’re ever allowed back out on the course or driving range...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The practice manual by Adam young is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Hi all,

Anyone have any book recommendations for someone getting back into the game after a 10 year or so hiatus?
    A few things have changed since I last played seriously, mainly the popularity of hybrid clubs and gap wedges, which I’m still getting my head around when to use them and what I should have in the bag.

I’m up to date on the rule changes so kind of just looking for some guidance on club choice and maybe some practice tips for whenever we’re ever allowed back out on the course or driving range...

Always found Rick Sheilds to be a good source of info, be it clubs and or instruction. He's come into his own lately, in my opinion.
    And whilst not a book its probably the easiest way to digest info these days.

Click here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFHZHhZaH7Rc_FOMIzUziJA

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hi all,

I'd be inclined to go You Tube.

If you pick the right monthly magazine they are good too.

Will be the odd specials on tips - on regular contributor/ group of pros.

But the world has changed - and for a visual learner like myself - You Tube is incredible.

Just on example - go well back to start of their videos.

Mark Crossfield and Rick Shiels too - but they have moved away from tuition a bit - that was their early stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Was Mark Crossfield the guy who Rick Shiels mentioned he has had a tiff with lately??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Was Mark Crossfield the guy who Rick Shiels mentioned he has had a tiff with lately??

I think it was some other dude who was attempting to set up a parody of all the youtube golfers. the nichiest of niches

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

gypsy79 wrote: »

Crosfield is constantly having a go at him on social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

I avoid YouTube videos outside of the ForeGolf guys because I like their take on equipment.

I'm more interested in reading a book, I've enjoyed Bob Rotellas books especially Golf is Not a Game of Perfect: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golf-Not-Game-Perfect-Rotella/dp/0743492471/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=golf+is+not+a+game+of+perfect&qid=1612601992&sprefix=golf+is+no&sr=8-1

Also the seminal work of Ben Hogans Five Lessons which is an effective must read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ben-Hogans-Five-Lessons-Fundamentals/dp/0743295285/ref=pd_aw_all_pref_14?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0743295285&pd_rd_r=765a2600-b3d6-45d0-8d46-b2b51c8c7c34&pd_rd_w=37kdD&pd_rd_wg=qcxeF&pf_rd_p=cbf6fb71-4e9f-4a28-ab06-b111fe317e25&pf_rd_r=DNY7D5KPHGPYRHTF4NRQ&psc=1&refRID=C3PCD820P76EBNTT61Z4

I'd recommend the latter in a hard copy but kindle of the former is fine.

I avoid YouTube videos outside of the ForeGolf guys because I like their take on equipment.

I'm more interested in reading a book, I've enjoyed Bob Rotellas books especially Golf is Not a Game of Perfect: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golf-Not-Game-Perfect-Rotella/dp/0743492471/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=golf+is+not+a+game+of+perfect&qid=1612601992&sprefix=golf+is+no&sr=8-1

Also the seminal work of Ben Hogans Five Lessons which is an effective must read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ben-Hogans-Five-Lessons-Fundamentals/dp/0743295285/ref=pd_aw_all_pref_14?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0743295285&pd_rd_r=765a2600-b3d6-45d0-8d46-b2b51c8c7c34&pd_rd_w=37kdD&pd_rd_wg=qcxeF&pf_rd_p=cbf6fb71-4e9f-4a28-ab06-b111fe317e25&pf_rd_r=DNY7D5KPHGPYRHTF4NRQ&psc=1&refRID=C3PCD820P76EBNTT61Z4

I'd recommend the latter in a hard copy but kindle of the former is fine.

Serious question - is the Hogan book not a bit dated at this point. Game technology , equipment etc ? We are very romantic about the past in golf - but has the game not moved on considerably in teaching and technology ?

On Rottella - great stuff , but if your only getting back into golf - Rotella stuff is for the more phycological aspect of the game. Takes a while before you hit a wall like that.

Serious question - is the Hogan book not a bit dated at this point. Game technology , equipment etc ? We are very romantic about the past in golf - but has the game not moved on considerably in teaching and technology ?

On Rottella - great stuff , but if your only getting back into golf - Rotella stuff is for the more phycological aspect of the game. Takes a while before you hit a wall like that.

Have you read his book?

There's not much in there that makes tech relevant, its focused primarily on grip, stance & posture, backswing & downswing.

Perhaps swing plane has evolved but grip & posture is largely the same. Many of the YouTubers reference Hogans grip drills.

If the OP is asking for a book, then this is pretty good book to read.

Your point on Rotella is a matter of preference, setting up good initial mental habits will not make the rest of your game suffer. Beginner or advanced can benefit.

Have you read his book?

There's not much in there that makes tech relevant, its focused primarily on grip, stance & posture, backswing & downswing.

Perhaps swing plane has evolved but grip & posture is largely the same. Many of the YouTubers reference Hogans grip drills.

If the OP is asking for a book, then this is pretty good book to read.

Your point on Rotella is a matter of preference, setting up good initial mental habits will not make the rest of your game suffer. Beginner or advanced can benefit.

No was a genuine question - and have heard the book referred to over the years.

The lad is coming back after 10 years - so he probably not aware that every lesson in the world is available on you tube. Majority people will retain more from a visual and audible experiences. But again work away with Hogan if that is what he wants. As you say he wants a book - but there are better options.

Again - I disagree with anyone going to Rotella until they have reached a wall or are targeting a very elite form of golf. He is only getting back - that in my opinion is a good bit down the road.

• Advertisement

No was a genuine question - and have heard the book referred to over the years.

The lad is coming back after 10 years - so he probably not aware that every lesson in the world is available on you tube. Majority people will retain more from a visual and audible experiences. But again work away with Hogan if that is what he wants. As you say he wants a book - but there are better options.

Again - I disagree with anyone going to Rotella until they have reached a wall or are targeting a very elite form of golf. He is only getting back - that in my opinion is a good bit down the road.

That's your opinion, Rick Sheils is effective clickbait but if you think he delivers good content then that's fine.

Take one of his more recent videos titled "We NEED to talk":
    https://youtu.be/mzDMC-5UVS4

Instead of simply titling a video as "Let's talk about mental well being" he presents it in an opaque manner which intrigues his followers enough to click on the video even if they have no interest in listening to him discuss mental health.
    In turn he generates revenue from these clicks -approx $1 for every 1000 views", that seems opportunistic to me.

Additionally most of the more well known content providers such as Me and My Golf deliver a sliver of content but keep the bulk of their stuff behind a paywall.

This is how YouTubers monetize, its "free" and appears good quality but it's very limited.

You're not wrong about visual feedback which is why coaches use it but YouTubers are easily digestible one size fits all content that encourages retention and returning users.

You buy a book, the author has monetized so no incentive to keep that much back, the opposite is largely true for the most followed YouTubers.

For online content Adam Youngs Strike plan is excellent. 7 modules broke down very well and doesn't get too technical.

Very easy to understand content and well worth the 50 quid.

Unfortunately we been in lockdown since I purchased it do have not been able to apply it to my practice

@ Golf4774

I'd have to agree with you that Shiels and the likes have become more like you tubers as opposed to involved in tuition. But their earlier material was like getting a free golf lesson.

They are just providing entertainment and golf club sales info for the most part

If you wanted more reputable sources . You can go to a golf magazine you tube channel and get a lesson from a leading and sometimes global top level coach.

The advantage of you tube , you can find a personality , style and level that suits your game and swing.

Unfortunately we are probably moving towards paying for the best You Tube content. But probably a necessary evil in covid times.

But the real secret when getting back into golf is try a few pros . Stick with the best one and get lessons .

You could save yourself a good year of time and pain from doing that.

Enjoy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The practice manual by Adam young is excellent

Just started this on your recommendation. :)

Just started this on your recommendation. :)

Let me know what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimbee

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Let me know what you think

Read it and some good content on drills and stuff. If you are OCD to begin with this book will be right up your alley. I found it too regimental.

The scoring method is good as it makes your practice pressurised gets you focused on intention rather than technique (which can be a minefield)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Interesting topic..

I also have the Ben Hogan classic Five Lessons and you can take a lot from it even nowadays I believe.

Was watching the Masters recently on Sky and they had Butch on again. Friend of mine thinks he is past it and the 'game has moved on' since Butch's time apparently. This was in the context of Claude taking over as coach from Butch, and also of Rory going to Butch for advice. Anyway, I disagreed; it wasn't so long ago he was coaching Fowler and DJ, not to mention Phil and Tiger not so long ago. Be interested to hear other people here comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

For club fitting and club reviews the lads on TXG are very knowledgeable and give great insights into new clubs, balls and tech etc. Good fitting reviews for both high and low handicappers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDdF3VYuCTZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

kod12 wrote: »
    For club fitting and club reviews the lads on TXG are very knowledgeable and give great insights into new clubs, balls and tech etc. Good fitting reviews for both high and low handicappers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDdF3VYuCTZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

I think they're really knowledgeable, I just don't think it's relatable because the guy gets it out there at around 320 yards.

A lot less fluff though which is good. I really think the ForeGolf guys are very good.

https://youtu.be/L_KUcpbkYIg

Very true good to see them fit high hanidcappers aswell but your man Matty just hammers it on a string the whole time.

Foregolf very good aswell. Had been booked in there since October but Covid has kept cancelling appointments cant wait to get in

• Advertisement

Raymond Flyod's book the elements of scoring is another good read

kod12 wrote: »
    Very true good to see them fit high hanidcappers aswell but your man Matty just hammers it on a string the whole time.

Foregolf very good aswell. Had been booked in there since October but Covid has kept cancelling appointments cant wait to get in

They had Seed Golf Balls on it around a month ago, Irish connection always nice: https://youtu.be/3oxJVYuSsj4

Best of luck with the fitting, I suspect the Sim3 will be a cracking fit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Marcus Bell, he is on all social media. Called Zen Golf Mechanic

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 bylisandro

My suggestion I finished Lost Hills last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

On a somewhat related topic, did anyone ever read "A course called Ireland"? Was looking to buy it but it's out of stock in a lot of places. Is it worth the effort of getting?

noler123 wrote: »
    On a somewhat related topic, did anyone ever read "A course called Ireland"? Was looking to buy it but it's out of stock in a lot of places. Is it worth the effort of getting?

It is very good . Well the advantage is he is a writer who takes on an endeavour as opposed to a guy who takes something on and writes about it.

He has fantastic observations on the Irish and our ways and was well read on history and language. And , very accurate as opposed to romantic or Americanised.

Only thing . It is pretty much the most daft idea ever and his journey of walking on bad Irish roads is just a bad idea. Dangerous and not particularly interesting. This is somewhat redeemed in the golf courses and people he meets. In pubs or B&Bs . Nice to see a 3rd party confirmation of how daft and funny Irish can be.

Imagine you'd pick one up 2nd hand ?

Thanks Fixde. You've made up my mind! I went looking again after posting that message and found it on the book depository for €12! Ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

noler123 wrote: »
    Thanks Fixde. You've made up my mind! I went looking again after posting that message and found it on the book depository for €12! Ideal.

Is this the tom Coyne book?

No laying up have a season, 5 YouTube shows which he appears on and they play some of the same courses as the author.

Though I think the author walked from course to course.

I keep meaning to buy it on amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Did you read Four Iron in the Soul by Lawrence Donegan?

Great read

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement