Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing Thread 04/12 (Spence v Garcia, Saunders v Murray, Yarde v Arthur)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Morrison J wrote: »
    Good win from Spence. About what you'd expect. Went a bit Oscar v Tito taking his foot off the gas late on but result never felt in doubt. Danny Garcia game as ever.

Hopefully we see more momentum behind making Spence v Crawford now. Best fight in boxing bar none.

Pretty much what you’d expect. A lesser Spence returning was Garcia’s hope. García is very game but I think he’s just a cut below. Thurman would also be a good test for Spence

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I had it 115-113 Spence.

He was quite risky in taking his foot off the gas.

6-5 to Spence going into the last..

But overall he was, as I expected, too active and sharp. Danny a little too pedestrian..

Human endeavour ... of course it couldn't be down to a bad judge as we all know there are none of those in boxing :rolleyes:

There can be poor decisions.

Last night’s wasn’t, for reasons I gave. Quite a few very tight rounds..

It’s similar enough to anyone scoring Dubois well ahead. I dont agree but I can understand why. I had Arthur 116-113 but I wasn’t sure about several rounds. A wide decision sounds mad but when you break it down it can be close in every round. To score Yarde 10 in 9 rounds I wonder where they all came from. That way he had to be awarded 3 of the first 6 rounds and he hardly even threw a shot. I’d say there’ll be a rematch because he’s the poster boy so there should be money for it. If he gets inside the jab next time then he will likely do harm but a big right was sitting there all night for Arthur and he didn’t try to throw it in a non-committed fight from both (which was Arthur’s gameplan) so Yarde would be more open to it in a rematch and I could see a heavy jab sting him on his way in and a big overhand right to put him on his ass. Arthur did well last night and won it for me but if he has any ambition I don’t think he can exclusively jab his way to a world title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Didn't think it was very competitive. Garca is tough, but too limited. Obviously Spence is a tough proposition for any welterweight, but you're never going to beat him fighting like Danny did. No ability to take the initiative in the pocket and put 3 or 4 shots together. Just the same as always, looking to wing in a big counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

walshb wrote: »
    There can be poor decisions.

Last night’s wasn’t, for reasons I gave. Quite a few very tight rounds..

Will have to agree to disagree. Of course this is all subjective so we can’t assert as a matter of fact.

In my opinion, a 117-111 call for Yarde was a poor decision.

Will have to agree to disagree. Of course this is all subjective so we can’t assert as a matter of fact.

In my opinion, a 117-111 call for Yarde was a poor decision.

Fair points..

I’d need to rewatch it..

I recalled several rounds that were very close, and rounds being awarded either way were difficult to award.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You need to question Yarde's training methods. I think it was a close fight, but thought Arthur did enough to win it. Yarde only has himself to blame - it's no good landing a few decent shots, when the opponent is dominating you with his jab for most of the fight.
    Once Yarde watches the video back i doubt he'll still be of the view that he was "robbed".

I had planned on staying up for the Spence fight, but fell asleep. It seems he has lost nothing as a result of the car crash. I really hope a fight with Crawford can be made. It's the best fight out there for both of them and the fans.

I think the only advantage Spence may have over Crawford is size/physicality..

But I don’t think it will be that important.

I think Bud will beat Spence. He has more about him. More of a skillset and more tools and variation.

The tougher fight stylistically for Bud is Porter. Strong, fit, aggressive, awkward, good puncher...Spence’s strength and physicality helped him handle Porter. Not sure Bud has the physicality, so he will need to be razor focused and sharp and prepared to fight and move all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I agree, I think Crawford is on a different level to everybody else. He has the fight iq to go with all the talent. He's able to change it up if it's not working. There's not many can do that.

• Advertisement

I’m very fond of watching both of them but I’d slightly lean towards Spence Jr. I think he’s naturally the bigger more powerful man but yea I think he’d need to show more aggression and bully Bud if that’s doable. A badly washed up Brook was getting through against Bud and Spence Jr is much slicker than that. He would need to be absolutely on it for the 12 rounds though. It would be a mega fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Watched whole fight this morning with no distractions. Unusually I have seen both live beating the same opponent local lad Lamont Peterson!

Anyway Spence looked the same as ever which is a testament to his conditioning after what he went through. Methodical, using that great jab and aggressive. To be fair to Garcia, and I am a fan, he was never beaten up but he had the fight beaten out of him and was mentally beaten very early. Key difference for the most part was Spence being first to the punch and Garcia being a stationary target plus the Champ was plain outworking him. Naturally Spence tired down the stretch but it was a definitive UD.

Annoying factors was the fox commentary with Lenox staying quiet while Brian Kenny and Joe Goossen argued like children. While Goossen has pedigree Kenny sounded like he knew nothing about the sport and was just there to make up the numbers. Also the ref and Garcia's father, who I have no time for like Lopez's da, could not keep their masks on properly. How hard can that be??? Lastly the inability of anybody to even mention Crawford's name, despite him being in the audience, does the sport a disservice. This fight has to happen and neither side is helping.

Cant predict that winner as keep going back and forth! Having seen both live I have to sit on the fence. Really is a flick of the coin as both are exceptional.

With Garcia it is like he lacks urgency...

It's like he is just in to survive and go through the motions at times...

Spence was the one trying to impose, win, press, make a fight of it...

walshb wrote: »
    With Garcia it is like he lacks urgency...

It's like he is just in to survive and go through the motions at times...

Spence was the one trying to impose, win, press, make a fight of it...

Yea I thought the same in the Garcia in the Thurman fight although he did better then IMO

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yea I thought the same in the Garcia in the Thurman fight although he did better then IMO

Yes

And the Porter fight, where IMO he proved the better man when he decided to go to work...he was just a bit too causal for too many parts of the fight.

Advertisement